PDA

View Full Version : That limited edition Dark Vengeance Chaplain

rabblerouser
26-08-2012, 14:36
Is it a plastic two piece model? I looked closely and the backpack seems to be part of the figure. It actually looks pretty bad, and not just the face.

AndrewGPaul
26-08-2012, 14:50
What's bad about it? It does look like the backpack is integral with the back of the miniature. At a guess, I'd say that it comes as main body, cloak/backpack, left forearm and right arm.

rabblerouser
26-08-2012, 15:11
Well the cape flows into the backpack so I guess that would be the bad part about it. Is it plastic or failcast?

hobojebus
26-08-2012, 15:54
Its plastic and trechery with a touch of heresy.

rabblerouser
26-08-2012, 19:13
Oh that's really interesting. Is it like a tiny little sprue like those they used to make for arms and shoulder pads?

loveless
26-08-2012, 19:20
Oh that's really interesting. Is it like a tiny little sprue like those they used to make for arms and shoulder pads?

Most likely. I'd assume it's the same as the plastic blister characters in Fantasy, given he comes with a specially-sculpted base if I'm reading it right.

Rated_lexxx
26-08-2012, 20:03
Is it still the cool thing to do, to call finecast failcast?

I am getting the limited starter just for the Chaplin. It's different enough for me so I don't have to overly convert it to make it stand out. Unless limited edition means its limited for 3 years

rabblerouser
26-08-2012, 22:13

I am getting the limited starter just for the Chaplin. It's different enough for me so I don't have to overly convert it to make it stand out. Unless limited edition means its limited for 3 years

It's not that it's cool or uncool - it's an overpriced and inferior product. I hate it and absolutely refuse to buy it. Fortunately most of the finecast released so far have been characters that are still available in metal second-hand. Anyway...

I have to disagree with you on that chaplain. I ordered the limited edition set because I thought the chappy would be cool and collectible, but after looking at the 360 view on the website I started having doubts. The detail just isn't good enough to justify keeping it as a collectible. I kinda regret paying more for that figure.

Spiney Norman
26-08-2012, 23:50

It doesn't matter really, over the last few years the word "finecast" has become synonymous with "poor quality models with frequent miscasts", at this point there probably isn't any word more insulting the range than "finecast" anyway.

I'm happy about having the chaplain in there because it means that I start a dark angel army with a tac squad, DW and RW squads and one of each HQ for about half what it would cost me to buy them separately as plastic sets/upgrade sprues/finecast characters (not to mention the chaos models I can sell/swap for more DA). The best thing about having one of each is that I get to build a finecast free army, and that makes my life easier, and my models less pitted/saggy/fragile.

ForgottenLore
27-08-2012, 00:15
It doesn't matter really, over the last few years the word "finecast" has become synonymous with "poor quality models with frequent miscasts",

"over the last few years?" fine cast is only just over a year old. 15, 16 months.

Of course, that the word has come to mean what it does in even less time than you said is in no way an endorsement.

Morkael
27-08-2012, 00:51
"over the last few years?" fine cast is only just over a year old. 15, 16 months.

Well, time flows differently in the Warp.

I don't think the chaplain would be several pieces. It's not really the trend for the starter sets. Anyway, wasn't there a picture of an unpainted version? Might make it easier to see where he was glued.

althathir
27-08-2012, 01:19
It doesn't matter really, over the last few years the word "finecast" has become synonymous with "poor quality models with frequent miscasts", at this point there probably isn't any word more insulting the range than "finecast" anyway.

I'm happy about having the chaplain in there because it means that I start a dark angel army with a tac squad, DW and RW squads and one of each HQ for about half what it would cost me to buy them separately as plastic sets/upgrade sprues/finecast characters (not to mention the chaos models I can sell/swap for more DA). The best thing about having one of each is that I get to build a finecast free army, and that makes my life easier, and my models less pitted/saggy/fragile.

Yeah that was my thoughts on it, my brother wants to get back into 40k and this starter was perfect (he played DA & BA), and the best part is if he doesn't like them down the road he can use them as an ally detachment.

Of course, that the word has come to mean what it does in even less time than you said is in no way an endorsement.

Yeah finecast is not great. Its one of my fears for when they update eldar, thats there is gonna be model I want thats finecast and I have to bite the bullet on it (my luck with finecast isn't impressive)

Mr. Shine
27-08-2012, 01:35
While I cannot comment on how the model is organised sprue or assembly-wise, I'll say I largely like the model, but that shoulder pad skull is awful. Seriously that single section gives me doubts about buying the Limited Edition version of the starter set.

AndrewGPaul
27-08-2012, 08:42
Well, time flows differently in the Warp.

I don't think the chaplain would be several pieces. It's not really the trend for the starter sets. Anyway, wasn't there a picture of an unpainted version? Might make it easier to see where he was glued.

The captain from Assault on Black Reach came in four parts (legs/cloak/shoulder pads/rear torso, front torso/head/bolter, backpack and sword arm).

You can see on the 360 on the GW site a slight gap where the left gauntlet meets the arm, and the front and back are clearly separate because there's no way they could be a single piece with those gaps.

RunepriestRidcully
27-08-2012, 10:26
For me, it's the goofy skullpad and the smoke that kills it for me.

blameless
27-08-2012, 13:07
I like him and think that fine cast is great as well. Maybe just because I haven't had ANY bad fine cast models and like my miniatures weighing roughly the same.

So I'm the antithesis of this thread :D

Beppo1234
27-08-2012, 13:23
I like him and think that fine cast is great as well. Maybe just because I haven't had ANY bad fine cast models and like my miniatures weighing roughly the same.

I didn't like the quality at first, but it's much better now. Easy to work with, though a little to fragile for my liking. The thing I still hate about it, is I like to tightly pack models in my carrying case... but that option is not possible now with FC minis. You could tightly pack a metal or plastic mini in a carrying case. But with FC, any pressure on the model makes it bend permanently over time. That's what annoys me the most, that I have to use up extra space in my carry case, to ensure that the FC mini doesn't touch the edge of the cell it lives in.

TheDarkDuke
27-08-2012, 13:46

Until they prove that it truly isnt failcast then yes thats what it will remain.

Id love to get the limited edition for the chaplain myself but being in Canada has a pretty big drawback from buying from GW - nearest location is hour away, and they say they have free shipping on their site but we get charged duty now that they switched over to fed ex (essentially double tax). So im kind of limited to the normal one that i can preorder at my local since it seems you cant do it with the limited edition one.

viv714r
27-08-2012, 14:00
So far haven't had any problems with Finecast. Does anyone know if Abbadons arms fall off just as easily though?

Scalebug
27-08-2012, 14:10

But, but... then you are not cool and individual, and you don't get respect from all the cool people for saying failcast, you GW-kool-aid-drinking fanboi you...

Private_SeeD
27-08-2012, 14:28
I'm in the minority camp, I think the Chaplin looks awesome. Also it's a steal since the difference between the LE and normal set is around 5, if it has been sold separately GW would have slapped a price tag of around 11 since that's the going rate for finecast of that size.

Sent from my Omni tool via the Sol System Mass Relay

Rick Blaine
27-08-2012, 15:38
I think he's mostly great, mostly.

I agree that the skull pad isn't stellar and coupled with the cartoony paintjob, it looks like a bad Scream parody. Painted in metallics it should look okay.

Earthbeard
27-08-2012, 16:00
I'm not a greta fan of DA's in general, but the chaplain is pretty nice tbh, it's all down to taste etc, but for the sake of 4 quid or so for him, I don;t really feel need to grumble about it, it's not like you're forced to get the LE version.

rabblerouser
27-08-2012, 16:15
Until they prove that it truly isnt failcast then yes thats what it will remain.

Id love to get the limited edition for the chaplain myself but being in Canada has a pretty big drawback from buying from GW - nearest location is hour away, and they say they have free shipping on their site but we get charged duty now that they switched over to fed ex (essentially double tax). So im kind of limited to the normal one that i can preorder at my local since it seems you cant do it with the limited edition one.

Orde from heavy support games. They will sell the limited edition, will give you 20% off, ship for free if you order over $100, and ship from toronto so you only pay tax - no duty.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
27-08-2012, 17:39
I like it. The robes might make it look like he's a bit tubby but I like it. The skull pad looks a lot like the pads from the Khorne Berzerker kit.

AlphariusOmegon20
27-08-2012, 19:21
Part of the problem with the model is, as usual for GW, the paint job. It's very uninspiring.

Yes, the model is a bit blandish, but what chaplain model isn't? I can't think of one off the top of my head that isn't a bit bland in some form. Even Lemartes' model is a bit bland around the torso. Only the Termie Chaplain is the closest to being what a Chaplain should look like, inspiration wise.

Atrum Angelus
27-08-2012, 19:47

The Chaplain comes on a sprue of similar size to the fantasy plastic characters, and includes a base with details like the plastic fantasy characters.

TheDoctor
27-08-2012, 20:18
I really like the Chaplain. I have my own converted, but I think I will be replacing him with this one.

Plus, the way I look at it, if GW decides to sell it later, they will probably do so for 15-20 bucks, as opposed to the 7 dollars more for the LE starter set.

Rated_lexxx
27-08-2012, 23:39
I will really need to hold it in my hand before I can make a really informed choice

Yodhrin
28-08-2012, 01:06

Bearing in mind of course that it's "come to be known as" that definition....here, and on parts of Dakka, and by about four posters on B&C. I've never had an issue with miscasts myself, and much prefer the material, and that sentiment seems common once you step outside the Internet Grognard Reverberation Chamber.

purge the daemon
28-08-2012, 02:43

Yeah it's ridiculous and we pay so much we might as well be paying Australian prices.

Beppo1234
28-08-2012, 03:22
just saw it in 360... I like it, but I don't like that I'm going to have to remove its head and replace it with a legit DA chaplain head.

Avinaar
31-08-2012, 23:18
Is it a plastic two piece model? I looked closely and the backpack seems to be part of the figure. It actually looks pretty bad, and not just the face.

here you can find the photos of the chaplain sprue! http://on.fb.me/PmmDax (http://www.facebook.com/pages/BitsbayIT/127062704004901)