PDA

View Full Version : Is the chaos storm eagle a decent flyer/transport?

Fizzy
27-08-2012, 15:09
Hi! As a reward and a birthday gift for myself I am thinking about adding a flyer to my chaos army as well as a transport. Looking in the latest imperial armour I saw the Storm eagle.

So is it decent for a flyer as well as a transport?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
30-08-2012, 10:37
As no one else has replied, I'll have a go, though I've never used a Storm Eagle myself:

It's very expensive, even for a flyer, and thus needs to be used with care so as to pay back the investment. The rest of the army needs to be able to support it, especially in the elimination of enemy anti air assets, but as the new Chaos Codex is out soon I can't help with the exact ways of doing this.

Another thing to bear in mind is if you're using it as a transport, the unit inside needs to get out quick so as to not risk the flyer being shot down and the unit being effectively doomed. Only trouble, IIRC the Storm Eagle doesn't have a way for a unit to disembark without the Eagle entering Hover mode, and thus making itself very vulnerable.

The armament of it is also rather tricky, as the Vengeance Launcher doesn't mesh with the other options particularly well, especially as you won't have PotMS. Probably best just to keep it cheap as a transport/anti infantry asset, though if you fancy it you could chuck on a Multi Melta and the 2 wing mounted Lascannons to make it an armour hunter. If I'm honest, I personally wouldn't have a problem with you using the loyalist version for your Chaos army, as PotMS makes the Eagle work so much better.

Fizzy
30-08-2012, 15:28
Thank that is the only answer I needed ^^

I will think about a bit and see if the new codex releases any good flier. Otherwise I will order it and use it as a loyalist one. I rather want to use it as a killer machine. Sening lascannons shots into armour and maybe a missile to units on the ground if possible :)

Still 2 weeks untiil my birthday as well.

WarBoss PuG
30-08-2012, 21:51
I've played 3 games with my death guard storm eagle and it's been most helpful every time. I use it mostly as an anti armour at the start then deploy my plague marines to take an hold primary objectives. hasn't been shot down yet but been close everytime. Over all, wait till chaos dex is out but the model is mint an awesome to blow stuff up with. Hope it helps Pug

WarBoss PuG
30-08-2012, 22:04
Not relevant but last match I managed to wipe out a large handful of orks in one turn. Used the missile first targeting a battle wagon knowing they wouldn't hurt it but hoping for them to scatter into a mob of boys to it's right. 2 out of the 4 hit with get pleasure to me as it dropped the boys by 5. The melta and lascannon mix destroyed the battle wagon and kill 3 nobs in transport. With sustained fire on the boys they broke just leaving a few nobs to mop up his spear head attack. Made a tricky position in the centre a lot easier deal with. As you can imagine plague marines deployed last turn unfortunately but game won.

Fizzy
30-08-2012, 22:59
Thanks for answers :) Will wait for the new dex and then see if I need the storm eagle after that.

Clarkson
31-08-2012, 00:56
TBH if you going down the flyer route with FW for chaos.. Blight Drones would fill that slot.. 2 for the price of the eagle and extras

WarBoss PuG
31-08-2012, 06:51
Yeah got two of those too, there a must have.

Fizzy
31-08-2012, 08:15
Just that I need a plauge marine squad to have them. And making a plauge marine squad with thoose bitz I need costs close to 70 :(

Since I am making a very special army with bitz and bases from 3 other companies ^^

mughi3
03-09-2012, 01:55
I use 2 of the loyalist storm eagles in my salamanders list. don't know how effective it would be without the POTMS to split fire.

I use mine as dedicated gunships with only tech marine and servitors aboard to keep it flying. with typhoon launcher and las cannons.. with the vengence launcher and the alt-fire for the typhoons i can equally engage armor and hordes with good effect. it is the new land raider, a very expensive one at that.

orkmiester
03-09-2012, 17:08
I use 2 of the loyalist storm eagles in my salamanders list. don't know how effective it would be without the POTMS to split fire.

I use mine as dedicated gunships with only tech marine and servitors aboard to keep it flying. with typhoon launcher and las cannons.. with the vengence launcher and the alt-fire for the typhoons i can equally engage armor and hordes with good effect. it is the new land raider, a very expensive one at that.

question for you good sir (since i have one for my wolves in the post...) would the multimelta be worth it? or is the typhoon launcher better even though it is not twin linked?

mughi3
05-09-2012, 16:11
question for you good sir (since i have one for my wolves in the post...) would the multimelta be worth it? or is the typhoon launcher better even though it is not twin linked?
Its a matter of focusing. the vengence launcher has a 48" range the las cannon has a 48" range and the typhoon launcher has a 48" range.....the melta is 24", 12" if you want it to be really effective. it doesn mesh with the other weapons well. the typhoon may not be twin linked but you get the same effect with 2 shots. ansd you also have an alternate fire mode.

Private_SeeD
05-09-2012, 22:51
Its an awesome model but like someone else pointed out it has the issue of unloading its cargo, I was hoping it have something like a grav chute or the Storm raven rule for the BA but i'll probably end up with getting a mortis contemptors with tl autocannons and cyclone missile launcher then get a storm eagle, since my DA list is now looking to be a DW themed army

orkmiester
06-09-2012, 10:12
Its a matter of focusing. the vengence launcher has a 48" range the las cannon has a 48" range and the typhoon launcher has a 48" range.....the melta is 24", 12" if you want it to be really effective. it doesn mesh with the other weapons well. the typhoon may not be twin linked but you get the same effect with 2 shots. ansd you also have an alternate fire mode.

true...

but as a slight correction you only get "a single" typhoon launcher so only one shot ;) (i've just checked in the book...)

Leth Shyish'phak
06-09-2012, 16:30
And since Marine squads can only take a single heavy bolter, their heavy bolter can only fire once, right? :eyebrows:

Bonzai
06-09-2012, 20:13
Yeah, I am on the fence about them as well. It's going to come down to how possessed fair in the next codex. If they are worth fielding, I might do a largish squad of them in one, armed with a multi-melta. The hope being that the MM can pop something and the possessed assault what's inside. Why possessed? Because they are an assaulty unit with an inv save, and can be taken in large numbers. The other option is to go with terminators. However, I kind of enjoy deep striking off icon's with my terminators and rapid fire combi-plasma'ing things, so the transports seem like over kill for them.

On the other hand, my Brother fields Hellblades, and they seem worth every penny to me.

Dangersaurus
07-09-2012, 00:26
And since Marine squads can only take a single heavy bolter, their heavy bolter can only fire once, right? :eyebrows:

Hah. But seriously, the storm eagle's cyclone launcher only gets one shot.

Bit disappointed as I'm going through the book by stuff like this. It's almost as bad as giving the supersonic USR to some of the transports.

AdamR
07-09-2012, 00:47
It can take a typhoon missile launcher.
Typhoon missile launchers are heavy 2.
Why would it only get one shot?

Dangersaurus
07-09-2012, 00:59
It can take a typhoon missile launcher.
Typhoon missile launchers are heavy 2.
Why would it only get one shot?

Where are you seeing Heavy 2 in IAA?

orkmiester
07-09-2012, 10:08
Hah. But seriously, the storm eagle's cyclone launcher only gets one shot.

Bit disappointed as I'm going through the book by stuff like this. It's almost as bad as giving the supersonic USR to some of the transports.

it is either a typo (though i don't think it is...) or they've done it for "balance" reasons... though at 310pts with lascanons and the missile launcher its expensive, but we also get a 20 space transport that is essentially a flying landraider...

:angel:

mughi3
07-09-2012, 14:47
Where are you seeing Heavy 2 in IAA?
a typhoon ML is a standard marine weapon not like a special variant assault cannon with 6 shots on the contemptor dread. a typhoon has a standardised known profile-
heavy 2 S8 AP3 or alternate fire heavy 2 S4 AP 5 small blast

Dangersaurus
07-09-2012, 18:06
a typhoon ML is a standard marine weapon not like a special variant assault cannon with 6 shots on the contemptor dread. a typhoon has a standardised known profile-
heavy 2 S8 AP3 or alternate fire heavy 2 S4 AP 5 small blast

You use the profile in your codex or supplement unless an FAQ says otherwise. It's "Heavy 1" in IAA.

I'm not saying I like it, but it does just have one "pod" where most models with typhoons have two.