PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Dreads

Sinzaren
27-08-2012, 22:48
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help here as 40k isn't really my forte. I have a friend who is wanting to make up a 40k army with a whole load of Dreads in it. His Idea was to use the BA codex and at 2500 point have 11 dreads. Now I've pointed out that he is lacking in infantry a fair bit, he only had 25 Death Co in the list and a Captain, and after reading through the new 40k rules I've also now realized that the Dreads are probably going to go out of action pretty quickly.

Can anyone help me out with ideas on how to make a BA list, with as many Dreads as possible that would be workable in 40k games? As I said he was aiming for 2500pts but I think up to 3000pts would also be acceptable to him if needs be.

Thanks in advance Sinz

purge the daemon
27-08-2012, 23:34
If he is willing to change his mind in 2000 you get 22 with orks can't help you with ba but I know the ork list plus you have a 5+ cover save and 4 scoring units as well as all weapons are templates you get 26. And if he wants 2500 it gets better a few small truk units to keep the meld mobile. It just gets him a ton more dreads.

FashaTheDog
28-08-2012, 01:02
Alright, 2500 points. Two FOCs.

Librarian
Furioso Dreadnought - Blood Talons
Furioso Dreadnought - Blood Talon
15 Death Company
Death Company Dreadnought - Blood Talons
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

Librarian
10 Death Company
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

2,480 points for 16 Dreadnoughts and 20 points to buy Dreadnought options.

If you want to boost it to 3,000 and the same:

Librarian
Furioso Dreadnought - Blood Talon
15 Death Company
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

Librarian
15 Death Company
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

2,930 points for 18 Dreadnoughts and 70 points to buy other stuff or upgrades. You could drop 5 Death Company and a Death Company Dreadnought for an allied Imperial Guard Command Squad, a squad of Veterans, and 3 Scout Sentinels for the same points. While the Sentinels are not as good as the Dreadnoughts, they can Outflank and be armed with a variety of weaponry. More walkers with a little bit more versatility.

Mr.selfdestruct
28-08-2012, 01:53
I'm running a single FOC 2000 point list with 10 dreads, it's tons of fun. I have considered squeezing in that 11th Dread, but I enjoy more padding on my other units. It's not only possible to run with this kind of army, but it's deceptively effective. With the new Armor rules, it is certainly true that one or two dreadnoughts are of limited lifespan. It's no great feat to take out one a turn. That's why I have 10! I have found that with proper screening and cover, I have an average attrition of 1 dreadnought per turn. Given the 6 turn average, that's still alot of destruction. Also, tell him to very carefully pick his targets. Each Dread should have a specific job to do and a specific target. Don't make it too obvious what those are until it's too late. Also, make sure that he burns the following information onto the back of his hand: Death Company Dreads ignore shaken and stunned, and have Fleet.

Mikial
28-08-2012, 02:47
These are some pretty cool lists, and it would be a lot of fun to model.

I have to agree with your earlier thought that with the new vehicle rules they will die fairly quickly to armies that can put a lot of shoots into them for glances. The new rules are unfortunate in that way, and it could get pretty frustrating.

Monospot
28-08-2012, 03:33
If you use the Dred Mob list from Imperial Armor 8 you can field about 35 dreads at 2000 points :)

Inquisitor_Thorn
28-08-2012, 10:58
I am currently playing BA and I have 4 Dreds however since new edition has come into effect they have not become so weak as people say. One bonus we BA players have is teh Techmarines with Jump packs. However! My main concern is you will only have the ability to win 1/3 games due to the inability to take objectives so how fun it would be unless your on kill points your at a loss. As to any comments about the 3 hull points issue most of my dreds have been popped before i get to the last one. Hope this has been some help but i will say that i only use 1 Dred at this moment.

For Sanguenious, For the Emperor

Radium
28-08-2012, 14:21
I'd suggest a slightly more balanced list with 2 full assault squads, 15 DC and fill the rest with dreads! That way you can actually win games, and still have 9 dreads in one FOC.

mughi3
28-08-2012, 14:35
Unfortunately you have come to 40K at the wrong time for dreads. i run a dread heavy salamanders siege list from IA10(badab war book 2)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/mughi3/PB2kdred.jpg

it was great fun in 5th and completely worthless in 6th. the fagility to cost ratio for dreads in 6th because of new CC grenade rules coupled with hull points is a death sentence for dreads. i went from running a fun hard list in 5th to one that got tabled in every game i played of 6th to the point where i do not even bother putting any of it on the table any more.

The only way i see a dread heavy list working now is VIA grey knights-
double force orge chart with as many of the 12 rifleman(double autocannon arm-4 shot twin linked) dreads as you can take with psybolt ammo then hide them in cover. that makes them S8 shots which are now capable of killing any vehicle on the table in short order as well as putting out a bunch of dakka against infantry. the added bonus is of course for these dreads is your abaility to ignore stunned/shaken results, if they happen to get a pen, on a basic LD 10 test.

IcedCrow
28-08-2012, 15:48
If he is an optimizer / min-max player, and/or playing in an enviornment that is mostly optimizers/ min-max players in a world where every unit on the table has anti-vehicle weapons, is gauss and everyone rolls 6s 90% of the time where you have three or four pieces of terrain represented by 15mm shrubbery and nothing else so would never ever get a single cover save ever, and on top of that have awesome close combat abilities to destroy dreads in one shot (for the lulz), then he probably won't have much fun as the internet says dreads are bad and the internet also says that all of your opponents will field 100% units that are the above at all times; psychologically speaking it will only take one game of him losing and coupled with the internet saying I told you so to blame it on the 6th edition vehicle rules and be disenfranchised.

Otherwise, the above lists look like fun to play against. That is... if he's playing the game to have fun and not looking for an ESPN-4 endorsement for the warhammer hour professional world tour.

purge the daemon
28-08-2012, 20:51
the ork list works well you get 5++ on super cheap dreads so it doesn't matter if a 40ish points dread blows up who gives. i think this is probably the only viable option due to the fact you actually get a save and a decent one at that.

Sinzaren
29-08-2012, 00:17
Cheers guys

I have suggested taking only 9 dreads and including 30 death co and 20 Vangard vets with Astorath as the commander so he can split the death co. Do you think this would give him the flexibility he will need for games or do you think he will need more infantry?

ehlijen
29-08-2012, 02:22
Don't forget allies:

Master of the Forge
Ironclad dreadnaught
5 Scouts
HS Dreadnaught

And don't go all blood talons, you need a few bloodfists as well.