PDA

View Full Version : How to best equip your Skaven Warlord

e2055261
28-08-2012, 00:18
As the title suggests, what do people think are the best combos for Skaven Generals?

I've only played a few small games of fantasy against my regular opponent who uses Empire. The stuff I have trouble dealing with are his knights. He also has three demigryphs but these seemed a little underwhelming in our last game. I've found the biggest trouble for me has been the high armour saves these guys possess and since none of my stuff gets great weapons it's up to Raster Rat (that's my warlords name) to dish out some pain. In our next game (probably way off) I was thinking of giving hime the +2 strength sword, the 4+ war talisman and putting him in a unit with the razor standard. Is that a good plan? We have really only played small games to date but I have recently managed to paint up a load of stuff and have made some large purchases also.

m1acca1551
28-08-2012, 01:09
+3 attack sword and potion of strength will peel open knight armour very easily, with I 7 you'll be attacking first 7 attacks re-rolling to hit wounding on 2's... you can prob bust open the entire unit before it gets to attack, weeping blades work nicely. Stormvermin with razor standard are great counters, but i'd run the above, take a cheap ward save if you can and you'll be fine. Run him on a bonecrusher and watch him break a whole unit by himself whilst your clanrats add bonus ranks etc. Demigryphon knights i'd feed slaves or blast him with warp lightning cannons, as when they work they can hurt.

dementian
28-08-2012, 03:28
+3 attack sword and potion of strength will peel open knight armour very easily, with I 7 you'll be attacking first 7 attacks re-rolling to hit wounding on 2's... you can prob bust open the entire unit before it gets to attack, weeping blades work nicely. Stormvermin with razor standard are great counters, but i'd run the above, take a cheap ward save if you can and you'll be fine. Run him on a bonecrusher and watch him break a whole unit by himself whilst your clanrats add bonus ranks etc. Demigryphon knights i'd feed slaves or blast him with warp lightning cannons, as when they work they can hurt.

Where is this rat getting his re-rolls to hit?

Lance Tankmen
28-08-2012, 04:29
maybe he thought he had always strike first???

m1acca1551
28-08-2012, 04:47
Bugger sorry... no re-rolls, confused my self.

ftayl5
28-08-2012, 06:24
Warlord with shield and a bunker of 25 clanrats.

Grey Seer Kwokka
28-08-2012, 06:25
Your choice of mount on the Warlord himself may make a big difference. Have you considered a Rat Ogre Bonebreaker? It's a bit of a can of worms to then get him to combat, but the monstrous abilities may give you an edge (or level the playing field).

Otherwise, there's a popular build going around at the Under-empire...

Warlord + Warlitter + Shield + Dragon Helm + Sword of Anti-Heroes + Talisman of Preservation + Trickster's Shard = 228pts

warplock
28-08-2012, 09:18
Warlord with shield and a bunker of 25 clanrats.

Pretty useless against knights though, isn't it? If you're paying almost a hundred points for 4 S4 attacks and a 4+/6++ save you may as well just ditch the Warlord and get more clanrats...

SimaoSegunda
28-08-2012, 09:25
On a Brood Horror for the 18" Inspiring Presence, but kept close to a medium-large unit of Clanrats / Stormvermin, so that if it gets shot out from under him, he has a ready-made bunker waiting for him. Armour of Silvered Steel, Portents of Verminous Doom, a Halberd, and Foul Pendant.

Senor
28-08-2012, 10:00
Take a second Seer and use him in counter action with the 1st and the tokens available to roll enough power dice each magic phase on the 13th spell. Maybe casting it even twice 1 magic phase with both of them.....

Grey Seer Kwokka
28-08-2012, 10:07
Take a second Seer and use him in counter action with the 1st and the tokens available to roll enough power dice each magic phase on the 13th spell. Maybe casting it even twice 1 magic phase with both of them.....

Twin Seer is only really viable at very high points levels... Even then, there are far better uses of power dice than spam-casting the Dreaded Thirteenth Spell.

e2055261
28-08-2012, 11:57
I had thought about giving him the sword that ignores armour saves but it lacks punch.

I've considered the potion of strngth but I want to do damage over more than one round.

I'll try what I've devised already and if all else fails, I'll assemble and paint the hell pit abomination I got recently! But keep the suggestions coming if you have any...

danny-d-b
28-08-2012, 12:19
best way to deal with knights?- anything that ignores armour save- so the poisend wind stuff, or high streanth- or yep just hpa them
just stay away from any inner circle knights- they might be carrying the burning banner wanting to hunt it

Darkminion
28-08-2012, 12:36
Bonebreaker + Fellblade + Shield = Kill every mother****** on the field!!!

D...

warplock
28-08-2012, 14:14
I had thought about giving him the sword that ignores armour saves but it lacks punch.

I've considered the potion of strngth but I want to do damage over more than one round.

I'll try what I've devised already and if all else fails, I'll assemble and paint the hell pit abomination I got recently! But keep the suggestions coming if you have any...

Well you can't make Warlords particularly survivable (compared to other lords) and he has great Initiative so it would be a shame to waste it. For sustained damage you'll need a sword of at least +2S, but I'd say +3 is better against knights unless you put him in a unit with the razor banner. That leaves 40 points,so enough for the dawnstone and enchanted sheild for a rerollable 3+ armour. Should kill two or three knights a round no problem, although as I think others have mentioned Skaven genrally have better ways to deal with knights than using a Warlord of any variety.

russellmoo
28-08-2012, 18:12
I second the warlord on rat ogre bonebreaker with the fellblade and a shield-

However, if you feel this is too many points and too risky- you could also go with- warlord + warlitter with the above mentioned load out of +3 str sword, dawnstone and enchanted shield- with the warlitter you now have a 2+ re-rollable

Two other good units for taking on cavalry are- rat ogres, and the often overlooked- plague censor bearers-

Agoz
28-08-2012, 23:42
I've had a lot of success using a warlock forged weapon,talisman of preservation and enchanted shield on a bonebreaker, 10 str 5 attacks is nothing to sniff at, and the 2+ armor 4+ ward with 4 wounds will keep him around for a long while.

e2055261
29-08-2012, 00:05
These all seem like good ideas and I'll probably give them all a try.

As far as the warlord not being all that surviveable compared to others, he is against the empire guys ;)

PeG
29-08-2012, 14:34
most rat players I go against prefer to keep their general out of combat. They are very dependent on his inspiring prescence. For knights I would recommend shooting them. My friend is doing fine with jezzails, warplightning cannon, various spells etc.

Sexiest_hero
29-08-2012, 17:21
Bonebreaker + Fellblade + Shield = Kill every mother****** on the field!!!

D...

warlord with fellblade on giant rat is just as fun!

tw1386
30-08-2012, 22:23
As a Tomb Kings payer... Warlord with Felblade made me poop my pants... every single time. I hated that guy.

samael
31-08-2012, 08:49
Bonebreaker, shield , weeping blade, the foul pendant, dragonhelm, potion of strength.
Dump him in a 36 strong unit of stormvermin, don't forget to declare that you're using your potion in time and watch him go.

Morax
31-08-2012, 12:31
Queek, 50 man unit of Queek's stormvermin, razor standard. If you are feeling extra punchy take a warlock and give him the skavenbrew and go for death frenzy. Initiative 5 strength 5 stormvermin horded up will put a hurt on knights before they get to swing. That is without the nice killing power of Queek.

Bladelord
31-08-2012, 13:04
Wizarding hat!

Darkminion
31-08-2012, 13:36
warlord with fellblade on giant rat is just as fun!

No, you take the Bonebreaker because it gives the Warlord an extra wound and because...well....He breaks bones!

D...

Durpp
31-08-2012, 14:20
Where are you getting the extra wound from?

And I play WoC, my main opponent for many years was a skaven player and he could neutralize my knights every single game through Warp Lightning cannons. The trick is, getting the blast to hit the unit, not just the bounce... if it wasn't obvious. I've gawked in horror as a unit of knights was erased from the board in one well placed cannon shot/explosion.

Might not be what you're looking for, seems like you want the warlord to do this for ya, but that's what I fear personally.

Morax
31-08-2012, 16:02
The Bonebreaker mount is a monsterous creature, making the warlord who mounts it monsterous cavalry. The Bonebreaker has 4 wounds.

stillwater
06-09-2012, 17:06

Unless im mistaken.. the dreaded 13th can only target infantry.. and as knights are cavalry, not a good solution.
Tbh id go for breaking it open with a lord with +3a sword and potion of str. Or just charge a HPA in it.

BlackPawl
07-09-2012, 10:51
If I take a Warlord on Bonebreaker to go against empire cavalry I always take the shield with a 2+ save against the first hit or the world edge armor. Against an army with cannons this will keep your warlord alive because on a Bonebreaker he will not get any LoS.

Last time I had have some success with the weeping blade, potion of strenght, world edge armor and the dawnstone.