PDA

View Full Version : Is Necron Scythewing annoying to play against?

Angelust
28-08-2012, 06:41
So I just cobbled together a 2k Necron army very cheap, which is very unimaginative and "spam"y.

Overlord
65 warriors
5 night scythes
3 doom scythes

Later I may add in 5 crypteks and make space for a pulse and voltaic staffs.
Generally 15 crons and a semper overlord will stay on the board turn one, flashing a solar if necessary to survive. More if it's really necessary (DE or Tau)

Now I'm already convinced its not a great army competitively. Horde lists, Range issues, no really good ways to remove objective grabbers, etc. I think many games against decent opponents will actually be uphill.

But I'm afraid that my opponents, even if they win or come close, will hate the match because it's just not fun playing Against fliers, even if you have a couple AA tricks.

I would keep the army and play it if I didn't have to lose gaming buddies to use it. Otherwise I may just play it a couple times and eBay it.

What do you guys think? Would you be sore if your opponent brought a list like that? If it were all painted and based as a complete army?

kaptin_blacksquigg
28-08-2012, 06:49
I just think it'd get incredibly boring to play with/against very quickly.
Should be reasonably effective until people get used to playing against it, but as soon as they do you'll end up with lots of incredibly boring loses.
I would diversify it a bit with Deathmakrs, Crytecs, hell even Lych guard, anything to mix it up a bit and make it less predictable/dull.

Ragnar69
28-08-2012, 07:27
I played against 9 scythes in a tourney last weekend. It was boring and unsatisfying as hell. The guy fielding them was nice enough, but I wouldn't play friendly games with him if he would bring more than 3 flyers. He didn't win the tourney because he couldn't kill Ork hordes fast enough to win his last game. This was only a test tourney, so no points for army composition where he would surely have gotten 0.
So I wouldn't be surprised if people refused to play against your list more than once. The problem is that many armies don't have anything with Skyfire or flyers of their own and not everyone wants to use allies. A single quadgun is probably lucky to kill one scythe before it gets destroyed.

mughi3
28-08-2012, 14:44
Well as it so happens i have been spanked hadily by a similar list at 2K, he took 2 lords on thier little chariot barge things and the minimum warrior squads to get his 4 scythes and the 3 dooms. the only weakness in the list is that if you loose all your crons on turn 1 (or the top of 2 assuming you do not go first) you loose the game since you have nothing left on the table. As the flyers all come from reserves(and can deepstrike).

That being said unless you fight against another flyer heavy list(or more capable flying list like eldar) or somebody bringing alot of AA to the table the list will be annoying as hell to play against but will still be incredibly effective and hard to loose with.

Sekhmet
28-08-2012, 15:21
Well as it so happens i have been spanked hadily by a similar list at 2K, he took 2 lords on thier little chariot barge things and the minimum warrior squads to get his 4 scythes and the 3 dooms. the only weakness in the list is that if you loose all your crons on turn 1 (or the top of 2 assuming you do not go first) you loose the game since you have nothing left on the table. As the flyers all come from reserves(and can deepstrike).

That being said unless you fight against another flyer heavy list(or more capable flying list like eldar) or somebody bringing alot of AA to the table the list will be annoying as hell to play against but will still be incredibly effective and hard to loose with.

Loose vs tight, lose vs win.

All flyers is no more annoying than all monstrous creatures or all mech.

IcedCrow
28-08-2012, 15:53
I am not a fan of excessive spam in general, so my opinion would say your all flyer list is not very fun for me to play against. Coupled with the fact that all flyers are being used to take advantage of lack of AA fire and abilities to counter it, that would just double negative it for me. I guess that makes it a positive then?

Bonzai
28-08-2012, 17:23
If you want to make it meaner......

Zahndrehk
Overlord
4x 5 Warriors w/ Nightscythes
6x Doomscythes
Total: 1995

Zahndrehk allows you to bring in reserves on your opponents turn, if they have any come in themselves. Concider this a way to keep from auto losing if things go bad and keeping stuff on the table. That and he can give out handy abilities like stealth, acute senses, tank hunter, etc...

As for playing against flyer spam.... I don't mind it that much. It will have it's time in the sun, and then the next couple codex'es will come out and have hard counters to them. Frankly, Necron flyer spam doesn't seem that out of line when you compare them to it's contemporaries... Vendetta spam is tougher to deal with. I've seen individual Flyrants with Biomancy win games, let alone 4 of them. Fateweaver/Lords of Change & Tzeentch Daemon princes are all imposing FMC's as well. Overall Necron flyers aren't that bad really. They are only AV 10, and the Tesla Destructor's are great but not game breaking. Once more AA options are introduced, no one will gripe.

druchii
28-08-2012, 18:45
Necron scythes (and indeed all necron vehicles!) Are base av11 all around.

Lord Damocles
28-08-2012, 18:47
Monolith

letters

Vaktathi
28-08-2012, 18:49
It's not a list I'd be particularly enthused to play against or would look forward to having a fun time with, though it may be awkward to use properly.

It's a list where, even if not totally broken, isn't really very fun to play against, though I find many necron lists are like that unfortunately.

hobojebus
28-08-2012, 22:15
I've just restarted my necrons but there's no way I'd spam scythes it would be boring for me to play and frustrating for my opponent, max i'd ever even consider fielding is maybe 3 which is still nasty but not impossible to counter but 9 is just being a dick.

Xerkics
28-08-2012, 22:20
I think the most i would bring in a 2k game is 4 . 2 doom scythes 2 transports an d then thats if you have a large table. ITs too much hassle having this much maneuvering done on a smaller table anyway so not worth the trouble.

Chapters Unwritten
28-08-2012, 23:05
Nothing is as satisfying as killing a flyer in this edition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Angelust
29-08-2012, 05:31
Alright. Understood.

It doesn't seem like a list that could compete against tuned tourney lists, and it's not a good army for casual play either.

I guess once I paint up the remainder, I could keep it as an apoc force (Cylons!) or simply sell them off as ally packs (lord plus 10 warriors plus 2 scythes and a doom).

Gertjan
29-08-2012, 10:46
Or just add a few other units and play a normal Necron force which has a few of those crossiant thingies in there, use the additional for apoc every so often. Nothing says you can't turn an army like that into a "normal" one with a little bit of effort :D

mughi3
29-08-2012, 15:18
Alright. Understood.

It doesn't seem like a list that could compete against tuned tourney lists, and it's not a good army for casual play either.

I guess once I paint up the remainder, I could keep it as an apoc force (Cylons!) or simply sell them off as ally packs (lord plus 10 warriors plus 2 scythes and a doom).
Actually just the opposite, the necron airforce list IS a tourney list. it is meant to be hard to kill and dominate your opponant. granted there are also now loads of broken combinations for tourneys with the allies rules should you wish to go that route.

malisteen
29-08-2012, 15:47
All flyers is no more annoying than all monstrous creatures or all mech.

Actually, I'd say the needing 6s to hit thing makes it considerably more annoying than monstrous creatures or mech. Even if it were no more effective (and that's rather arguable right now), the experience of facing an enemy you can only ever hit on sixes is extremely frustrating. Win or lose, it's just not fun.

Commissar Merces
29-08-2012, 15:50
Gotta be honest, I wouldn't play you. With so few armies having anything that can skyfire right now and the fact it seems every single game against necrons is this type of list (and they usually win by massive margins) I just don't see a reason to play it out.

It doesn't help that I find the necron codex massively unbalanced. A strength 10 laser that fires with no BS? I think that is bs.

The most flyers I have ever used is 3 and that was in last edition with vendettas. This edition, the most I ever field is 2 and that is only in tournaments.

malisteen
29-08-2012, 15:58
Oh, I'd play against it. At least once or twice. I mean, I'm a terrible 40k player with horrid luck to boot, I expect to lose games no matter what I'm running or who I'm playing against, so it doesn't bother me that much.

That said, if I had a choice of playing against this army or against another one with more variety, or even the same lack of variety, but spamming units I can actually hit - even if I'd have just as small a chance of actually hurting the target? Yeah, I'd play against the other guy.

Angelust
29-08-2012, 20:22
I'm actually hoping skyfire and other AA options become more common very quickly so that I can actually field this list (or my 5th ed. IG Aircav). So far I feel obligated to limit anything with a flying stand to +1/-1 of whatever my opponent brings.

Sekhmet
29-08-2012, 20:50
A strength 10 laser that fires with no BS? I think that is bs.

But you just said it has no bs. How can it be bs?

Commissar Merces
29-08-2012, 21:28
But you just said it has no bs. How can it be bs?

Because it is bs...bull spit. Cheapest weapon in the game. Even a guard vendetta can't guarantee destruction like a doomscythe can. It maybe more survivable, but the doomsycthe is the superior unit.