PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happend with the Games Day Mega Displays

samael
28-08-2012, 10:32
I've been going through my old white dwarfs for the last couple of days and I stumbled over the pictures of the mega displays that gw used to have during games days (siege of the emperors palace, the siege of antoch, big toof river etc).

I know they were on view in warhammer world years ago but when I visited later they were gone.

Have they been destroyed (noooooo!!) been mothballed, to be brought out in all their glory during some kind of anniversary, or are they at the home of some ceo to be "lovingly" stroked during those long cold nights.

On a related question any idea why they stopped making them, these things were fantastic

Damien 1427
28-08-2012, 10:45
They're long gone as far as I know. I recall mention of the models being auctioned off, but the boards themselves are no longer around. Which is a massive shame, as I too felt they were awesome, and one of my happiest early GW memories was oggling Big Toof River and going over my photos of the Siege of the Emperor's Palace (And if there was a time to think about a brand new take on it, it's certainly now).

They stopped them, no doubt, because of time and cost.

Daemonslave
28-08-2012, 10:51
They made a Tyranid invading Space Wolves one recently (was that last year?)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=4800010a

So they still make them - don't know what happens to them after though!

DarkWarrior1981
28-08-2012, 11:00
Aren't at least some of them on display at Warhammer World/GW HQ? I remember an advert some time ago saying so.

ac4155
28-08-2012, 11:03
The Space Wolves vs Tyranids one is on display at Warhammer World. It is in the window to the right of the main Warhammer entrance. Admittedly this only gives a limited view of it and you have to push up against the window to see it properly.

But they don't really have them on display anymore. I also hear the emperors plaice one had been dismantled and given/sold on, but i think recent ones are kept in storage and occasionally get put on display. They do have different themed boards now which are for gaming in which they still advertise.

samael
28-08-2012, 11:39
Ah , yes I knew about the tyrannids vs Space Puppies one. but a shame that they got rid of the older ones.
I quite like the room WHW has now, with all the models in glass cabinets, but it is a bit clinical and does lack the impact and fun that the displays gave me.

Skaven13
28-08-2012, 17:00
Golly. Maybe it's the cost of assembling these dioramas? I can only imagine it went up slightly when GW made the brilliant move to refuse to show ANY battlefield without using their Realm of Battle boards. It's also kind hard to make anything remotely aesthetically impressive, or anything that showcases and embraces creativity, using those boards. That would be my guess as to why they said "ah, just forget it".

Edit: I think I need to join J.A.D.E.D.

t-tauri
28-08-2012, 17:48
As I understand it most of the really mega displays which required the input of all UK GWs to produce were too large to store long term and were broken up. I know the Emperor's Palace was broken up. Some of it even reached the bins from which some parts were liberated. I know I've picked up a few of the miniatures from the Horus display through trades or ebay sales. There's been no sign of the centrepiece models like the Titans or Primarchs so they're probably still sat in someone's collection.

Shadey
29-08-2012, 07:30

The link you gave specifically mentioned "In the tradition of the Games Day Mega Displays of yesteryear" meaning they don't tend to do them often anymore.

It is a pity, they were always my favourite parts of the gamesday coverage. They have tightened the purse strings in recent years I suspect as already mentioned, because of price. As cool as they were, hard to say if the cost was justified.

Some of the larger clubs I believe still do some impressive displays. I'd love to do something but my club is like half a dozen guys so yeah, not happening. Be funny and cool if Warseer could pull one off :P.

6mmhero
29-08-2012, 12:50
Vengeance of the Vampire was in the Amsterdam GW around 2004.

It is a shame they no longer do them as they were always fantastic to look at.

They did take a lot of time and effort from all stores to do. I think they mainly do Mega games now rather than displays.

DEADMARSH
30-08-2012, 13:21
Vengeance of the Vampire was in the Amsterdam GW around 2004.

It is a shame they no longer do them as they were always fantastic to look at.

They did take a lot of time and effort from all stores to do. I think they mainly do Mega games now rather than displays.

Probably why they don't do them anymore. Didn't I read they've drastically reduced staffing in the stores? I don't have a GW within about 5 hours of me, so I don't know.

RevEv
03-09-2012, 08:00
Another problem with the Mega displays was that, unless they were put behind glass, parts would 'walk' as over eager gamers took them for their own collections.

On the other hand, as a regular visitor to WHW, I love the display hall. You really can get up close to the 'Eavy Metal models. This never fails to inspire me.

Angelwing
03-09-2012, 13:59
On the other hand, as a regular visitor to WHW, I love the display hall. You really can get up close to the 'Eavy Metal models. This never fails to inspire me.

Pity they don't seem to dust them very often. I can see it being a hell of a job, but there were cobwebs last time I visited... :eek:

shelfunit.
03-09-2012, 14:11
Pity they don't seem to dust them very often. I can see it being a hell of a job, but there were cobwebs last time I visited... :eek:

To be fair, some of the displays at WHW - especially the classics from the early 90's - are probably very delicate, they may not stand up too well to dusting.

Sean_OBrien
03-09-2012, 17:31
To be fair, some of the displays at WHW - especially the classics from the early 90's - are probably very delicate, they may not stand up too well to dusting.

That would be somewhere between a cop out and a blatant lie for an excuse (not on your part mind you...just for GW to use it as an excuse not to do some housekeeping). I volunteer with a local museum that has a scale model of that area which I live now made up of delicate paper, fine brass parts and all sorts of fiddly bits which make GW items (regardless of age) look like they were solid cast iron chunks. We dust the whole of it regularly, and it is no worse for wear.

Granted, they wouldn't be able to use a feather duster or a shop-vac...but on the whole, they can do cleaning quite easily with the proper tools and a little bit of time.

In the end though, GW has decided not to do anything which their marketing peons can't directly turn into sales (i.e. - buy these and you can have one of your own). The big displays were great for the various conventions which GW did, but for the most part - those are loss producers not money makers.

Scammel
03-09-2012, 17:50
They're big and delicate and the space might be put to better use. They still produce massive boards and cool display pieces, but they're a bit of a pain to maintain. As has been said, it requires a bit more than standard cleaning tools.

Oops, forgot the obligatory comment about GW being money-grabbing idiots. Heaven forbid it might simply not be worth the effort.

shelfunit.
03-09-2012, 17:51
Whilst true, it would mean someone having to be paid for doing it - something their cost cutting would balk at, I'm sure they could get an almost unlimited number of volunteers to do it. But I know if I was having to clean it I would be terrified of accidentally breaking something.

Scammel
03-09-2012, 18:03
Whilst true, it would mean someone having to be paid for doing it - something their cost cutting would balk at, I'm sure they could get an almost unlimited number of volunteers to do it. But I know if I was having to clean it I would be terrified of accidentally breaking something.

The only way I can really see it happening is with an existing employee who fancies doing the job for free, but even then these things are damnably big and I doubt I'd be able to justify more than a handful near the front of the place.

shelfunit.
03-09-2012, 18:14
The only way I can really see it happening is with an existing employee who fancies doing the job for free, but even then these things are damnably big and I doubt I'd be able to justify more than a handful near the front of the place.

Agreed - they don't have the space for more than one or two of the really big ones up there - maybe they could set aside a "storage shed" of some description and rotate the ones on display - although thinking about that it may be more difficult than it's worth. On the other hand it would make more of a reason to go to WHW as unless you are there for a tourney it's maybe only really a 1-2hr excursion (if you include lunch at Bugman's*).

*which is actually pretty good - I was highly impressed** when I was there about 3 years ago.

**By the whole place - nicely immersive.

Scammel
03-09-2012, 18:23
maybe they could set aside a "storage shed" of some description and rotate the ones on display - although thinking about that it may be more difficult than it's worth.

Would you trust a bunch of black shirts to move a display board across the site? One slip and you've a very big mess and quite possibly some injuries. You could hire a bunch of burly men to do it I s'pose - but again, why pay out for these?

On the other hand it would make more of a reason to go to WHW as unless you are there for a tourney it's maybe only really a 1-2hr excursion (if you include lunch at Bugman's).

Certainly, beyond the first occasion there's not much there to justify a day - I've been probably about 8-9 times now and probably spend less than a quarter of the time I used to in the gallery. But as a tournament/event venue with bits on the side, I think it's great. Beyond that first trip I think it's a case of already having something planned there already, even if it's just a casual game on good boards (it's wonderful to see tables with original terrain beyond the Citadel stuff in every GW).

shelfunit.
03-09-2012, 18:35
Would you trust a bunch of black shirts to move a display board across the site? One slip and you've a very big mess and quite possibly some injuries. You could hire a bunch of burly men to do it I s'pose - but again, why pay out for these?

I think logistically you are probably spot on.

Certainly, beyond the first occasion there's not much there to justify a day - I've been probably about 8-9 times now and probably spend less than a quarter of the time I used to in the gallery. But as a tournament/event venue with bits on the side, I think it's great. Beyond that first trip I think it's a case of already having something planned there already, even if it's just a casual game on good boards (it's wonderful to see tables with original terrain beyond the Citadel stuff in every GW).

Ahhh, I've only been the once (living out of the country doesn't help), although I did go to the Nottingham "Grand re-opening" about 18/19 years ago, but I don't think WHW was around then.

Scammel
03-09-2012, 18:58
I think logistically you are probably spot on.

Dear. God. Man. We agree on something - and in General no less! :p

shelfunit.
03-09-2012, 19:20
Dear. God. Man. We agree on something - and in General no less! :p

It's happened before I think - there's only been a few topics we don't (along with the numerous variations on those themes). Far more pleasant like this.

Art Is Resistance
03-09-2012, 21:16
as T-Tauri mentioned earlier - quite a few of the larger displays were broken up many moons ago (I have a few bits that were given to me for my gaming den :-) BUT some of them live on - if you go to WhW, look to the double doors next to the store - that's the gateway to a cave of wonder..... well, a decent sized workshop with all manner of lovely shiny things stacked up ;-)

And they do dust on a regular basis - it takes a bloody long time to get round so they rotate which bits get dusted, so some can end up looking like Miss Haversham's wedding breakfast ;-)

samael
04-09-2012, 06:56
Memo to self, next time I'm there(might be a while though, see location) volunteer for dusting and or lifting, I'm burly enough and I still have a light touch. :)

Shadey
04-09-2012, 10:04
I must say the themed battle boards do provide quite a bit of the same wow. You don't get the interesting character level narrative but they still tend to wow and amaze.

I seem to remember the odd gaming club battle board making an appearance at one of the gamesdays. Am I misremembering? Is it common?

nedsta
04-09-2012, 11:01
Do they still have themed tables out in the main hall? I can remember seeing the leman russ factory many moons ago that people could use, amongst others, or is it just the GW bought terrain in use now?

Scammel
04-09-2012, 11:20
Do they still have themed tables out in the main hall? I can remember seeing the leman russ factory many moons ago that people could use, amongst others, or is it just the GW bought terrain in use now?

I went about a month and a half ago and they had a couple of fairly cool Apocalypse tables, one was like the Tau desert outpost from a while back IIRC and there was another that was a big cityfight board, with lots of walkways for a multi-levelled game. There was probably another one or two as well, I think they get swapped out for new ones fairly regularly. There's plenty of non-Citadel stuff still in use.

Art Is Resistance
04-09-2012, 19:08
The themed boards are rotated, but you will generally find:

High Elf Tower
Tau Outpost
Imperial Fortress (now with added snow - mainly to hide the battering it's had)

There other tables such as the Munitorum (the Leman Russ factory), the City Fight and Mordheim boards are only out if they're requested, which is a shame as the Cityfight board is a top notch board.

The shameful thing about the Tau Outpost is that it's on its 3rd or 4th(?) set of rail gun emplacements - Little Hugo / Gideon (insert Yummy Mummy middle class uncontrolled brat name here) keeps nicking em....

nedsta
05-09-2012, 11:38
I hate the fact that people abuse the boards/displays by pinching stuff. When the miniatures hall was the old one,when the store was downstairs, the amount of figures stolen from the ultramarines chapter was just plain wrong.
Yeah it didnt help that there was no glass but still it made me wonder how dishonest most gamers are.

Bergioyn
05-09-2012, 16:03

That was in 2009 or 2010, can't remember which.

RevEv
06-09-2012, 19:09
If anyone remembers the Chaos Thunderhawk Gunship that was in the 2nd Ed Chaos Space Marine Codex I know, from experience, how nerve racking it is to dust a model of that vintage. It was kept in the cabinet at Cribbs Causeway and we used to draw lots as to who should dust it as, invariably, bits would fall off.

As it was owned by the area manager, the very scary Fred Reed, we didn't want to be the ones who broke it.