PDA

View Full Version : Weapon conversions

TheBearminator
28-08-2012, 11:38
I can't be the only one who's fell in love with an army but never collected them because I dislike some very distinct details. In my case those armies have been eldar and necrons. I'll never come to terms with their slender and rounded weapons. I would probably already be playing them if I had found a simple way to convert them all in into something more boxy and robust. I've already discussed my necron dilemma but I wanted to make this a more general discussion. Have you done anything in this way? Exchanging weapons for a whole army?

Inquisitor_Thorn
28-08-2012, 11:44
I havnt done it with the 40k universe as i am a fan of the style but i did it when i played warmachine a few years back. End of the day it is your army and you should be happy with your product as long as you make it clear what they are i see no issues. after all they are your models and it can be what makes them unique. I would love to see some of your concepts, should post some pics of them.

TheBearminator
28-08-2012, 12:03
I havnt done it with the 40k universe as i am a fan of the style but i did it when i played warmachine a few years back. End of the day it is your army and you should be happy with your product as long as you make it clear what they are i see no issues. after all they are your models and it can be what makes them unique. I would love to see some of your concepts, should post some pics of them.

Thank you! I was really in necron mode a few years ago. Had my paint scheme in green and lava bases that I was really happy with. If I was to restart it, it would be based on immortals with converted weapons on lava bases. If/when I get started again I'll post some pictures. :)

Inquisitor_Thorn
28-08-2012, 12:28
I look forward to seeing these images and wish you luck with the Necrons.

loveless
28-08-2012, 16:35
In what few Necrons I build (mainly as a break from working on other things...I figure the list will just write itself and one day I'll have a Necron army to field :p), I actively avoid Tesla weapons as I don't care for the design. This gets a bit difficult with things like A. Barges and the Flyers, but all of the Immortals I assemble get Gauss weapons. If I figure out a better Tesla weapon, I'd update everything accordingly (and probably pick up more stuff). For now, they're just a bit of a side project.

For my Dark Eldar, I "fixed" a lot of power weapons by making them glaives/halberds/etc. 6th sort of screwed me over on that one, so some of my squad leaders got edits. My Succubus is still sporting a modified PW + Agonizer, but that's because she looks cool :p

During a Blood Angel stint I got annoyed at some of the older models. Corbulo lost his overly chunky chainsword and had it replaced with something more proper from the Death Company kit, for instance.

Biggest weapon conversion was my first Dreadnought (and actually only one I ever bothered to use) from my old Black Templar army. I hated the stubby Dreadnought power fist and replaced it with a 3-headed spiked flail made from jewelry chain, large beads, and some spiky chaos bits. It was suitably brutal :p Standard Dreadnought power fists still bother me, but at this point there are plenty of options out there in the several Dreadnought kits to improve upon that issue.

Aryllon
28-08-2012, 18:58
I think it would be hard to switch out Eldar weaponry without it either not looking like the weapon it's meant to represent, or just not like an Eldar weapon.

Brightlances could certainly be given straight barrels, it might also be possible to use a shuriken catapult which actually looks like a functional futuristic catapult while still feeling 'Eldar'..?

Personally I've always avoided IG because there's too much WWII stuff and not enough 'future human' stuff. I love the sentinels, but as for the artillery & tanks most are way too unimaginative. FW do some cool IG but for example the baneblade... gah it's so uninspiring. Tau actually feel more future human to me. IG to my mind could have way more walkers & even skimmers, just stuff that looks functional rather than alien. Like the walker 'fighting suit' the humans use in Avatar, for example, or unmanned 'B52' style single-payload bombers / EMP delivery mechanism for disabling tanks etc...

TheBearminator
28-08-2012, 19:41
My biggest weapon convertion job to date was my lootas. Out of the box I don't think they look very convincing, as their weapons are supposed to look custom built but they only come with four different designs that are completely different and very wast to recognise. So if you'd play a unit of twelve you'd get three of each kind. I used one of each, then converted the other eight out of big shootas, old sponsons, plasticard and some honestly stolen heavy weapon parts from my bitz box as well as my friends armies.

Clang
29-08-2012, 07:37
When the Necrons first came out, I hated the green rods, and so removed them to make carbine-style equivalents for all the weapons.

TheBearminator
29-08-2012, 11:30
Good choice. Would have done that to when I assembled my warriors if I had come up with the idea.