PDA

View Full Version : Need help in naming Iron Warriors

Pentregarth
28-08-2012, 11:57
So, my problem is summed up pretty much in the thread title: How to name Iron Warriors? I like named HQs and squads in my list, and so far, I fail to see a theme with the Iron Warriors. Thousand Sons have egyptian names, Ultramarines latin, Space Wolves scandinavian, but is there any consistent theme in the names of Iron Warriors? Honsou sounds chinese, Toramino italian and Kroeger german, just to name a few (not that there's many more).
Any ideas from people who have been around longer enough than me or are just more versed in the fluff?

Lupe
28-08-2012, 12:35
The Iron Warriors have some sort of Spartan theme behind them (the name and the nature of their homeworld, their mentality, their values, etc). The problem is that's not really reflected in their naming conventions. It seems that the current theme to them is just loading the name with rough consonants, and making it sound menacing.

Other Iron Warriors names sound Slavic (Chaplain Zhnev, Venerable Vastopol - and probably a nod to the artillery duels at Sevastopol in WW2), Greek (Berossus), Thracian (Baubistra) and some are even western.

I'd say the Thracian names would be the best fit, really. Random examples picked from a list on Wikipedia:

Haemus, Harpalykos, Cotiso, Phineus, Syrmus, Dromichaetes, Bergaios, Rabocentus, Cerethrius, Bathanatos, Sparatocos, Berisades, Amatokos, Duras, Rhemaxos.

You could also mix in the occasional Slavic, Polish, Hungarian or Germanic names for good measure, or use one of these as a first name, and the Thracian ones as the last names.

stormblade
28-08-2012, 12:59
Szabó the Slaughterer and Pero the Pyromaniac aside I think perhaps sticking with the Thracian names Lupe suggested would be the best.

Pentregarth
28-08-2012, 13:03
I like it! Thanks for the input, thracian names actually do sound quite good

Chem-Dog
28-08-2012, 23:51
Check out what Graham McNeil says about Naming Characters (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/naming-names.html). You don't have to feel bound to a specific naming conventions associated with any particular region in any particular historical period.

Thow in a healthy dose of hard consonant sounds as they evoke the bitter and hard edged character of the Legion. Cast an eye towards slavic naming conventions specifically (as Lupe suggests) as they have a very flexible modular system which you can mercilessly pilfer to give your characters' names a meaning that is suitably suitably harsh sounding.

goldenhorde
02-09-2012, 07:17
Try names with hard consonants, like Worgryn, Rorke, Hajar, Stein, Zaek