PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel..

Armond
28-08-2012, 15:35
I am trying to get a general idea of how people would feel if I were to convert some old Forest Goblins, these:

to look something like this:

and use them to count as Savage Orcs? I mean I would properly base them and all, and maybe even rebase that shaman to be a "Savage Orc Shaman" counts as. Would that be a prob?

I just figured the goblins with mutation would be stronger and faster, and maybe even more hungry for battle so making them Savage Orcs seemed to fit! I would also be making the old forest goblin models more "evil" looking. Maybe slightly pointier noses and maybe use some GS to make the eyes a little less comical/cute.

Thoughts?

DaemonReign
28-08-2012, 15:47
I wouldn't feel anything in particular about it really. :)

Nice models. You're doing a nice job with them. Beats me why you wouldn't use them as goblins/night-goblins, however, and just get more representative models for your Savage Orcs. (?)

Kuroi
28-08-2012, 15:49
Personally I would feel that they are too small to represent the Savage orcs stats. Also, aren't their bases different sizes? Small Figures on large bases to me tends to look out of place...

the_slosh
28-08-2012, 16:44
It's all about how the people you play with feel

Personally if you put them on large bases, told me they were savages and then made sure they look like they have rabies I would be SUUUUUUPER ok with it :)

+ the massive spear thing would look hilarious in a unit of gobs

Edit - Make them look more muscular as well, would be hilarious to see a bunch of mini bodybuildergobs!

Moss
28-08-2012, 17:12
Nice models. You're doing a nice job with them. Beats me why you wouldn't use them as goblins/night-goblins, however, and just get more representative models for your Savage Orcs. (?)

This. Using both in the same army, these make a nice savage-y compliment to actual Savage Orcs.

But as long as they're properly based, I wouldn't care. And I agree that small models on large bases look pretty silly.

Eyrenthaal
28-08-2012, 18:56
Id say go with it! It's your army. Just make sure that there's no confusion as to what's what. (having a large spear in there would help, and probably look hilarious ;) ) In my experience that's the main thing to upset opponents. To hear the phrase; I thought they were.. It's not funny for you or your opponent..

AngelofSorrow
28-08-2012, 19:21
Why not use them as goblins. For me it would be to confusing.

Ready for eternal war!

RaShondala
28-08-2012, 19:44
I wouldn't mind, as long as they're based to have some height.

Jind_Singh
28-08-2012, 20:03
I doubt ANYONE would have an issue!!! If they do they not the kind of folks you want to play anyway!

The only issue I'd have...if you tried telling me it was an 'All Goblins' army!

Urgat
28-08-2012, 20:12
Well sorry Jind but I'd find it "meh". Hey, he asked. Goblins to represent the killiest orcs around? Especially when he could have the genuine things, and use the forest gobs as either kind of available goblins, for a much better theme, is a shame, if you ask me. I wouldn't refuse to play them, I would say nothing of it in fact, unless he asked, but I don't like the idea.
That is, unless they're converted to look veeery impressive for gobs.

Graxy
28-08-2012, 20:36
As with everything else in the hobby, depends how good itlooks, which ultimately comes down to how mch effort you but into it. For me, If you just stick those to the larger base and leave it as is, I'd think of it more as a proxy than anything, so I wouldn't be too fussed, I'd just prefer that they ween't part of the finalised army. If you put in the effort to give them AHW (or whatever you arm your SO with), posed them in a cool way, possibly used terrain in the unit (e.g. one hanging from a tree or something), then Iwould be perfetly happy with you using them I think it would be a bit of a push to use them as Big 'uns though :p

theunwantedbeing
28-08-2012, 21:13
Far too small to be anything like savage orcs if you ask me.
They're goblins on 25mm bases.
Too small so my suspension of disbelief would be broken no matter how nicely converted or well painted they were.

You'de be better off using rock statues or something like the old wood elf dryads to represent magical forest creatures to use as savage orcs rather than forest goblins on 25mm bases.
It'de fit the theme much better.

Armond
29-08-2012, 00:00
Ok, maybe more elaboration on my part was necessary. I would convert them giving them various mutations. Whether having additional appendages like my shaman, to not being bipedal and more towards what a drider looks like from D&D. I asked because of course I needed to get a general idea of how people felt.

I guess it comes down to how well the conversion is done and if they come out looking meaty and vicious enough to be counted as savage orcs. They would NOT be left as is, if anyone has seen some of my things you can tell I like doing conversions. I will do antsy model and throw it up on a poll. Maybe a visual would suit this better.

Thanks for all the opinions!

StygianBeach
29-08-2012, 06:56
I would be fine with the Forest Goblins as they are, as long as they have the right base size.

Sir_Glonojad
29-08-2012, 08:05
Well, it depends. They should be a little more muscular to fit the base, which would have to be orcish. I understand the idea to have "goblins so dangerous orc profile fits them better" and have no problem with that. Personally, though, I'd be sad to convert such vintage minis ;)

kefkah
29-08-2012, 08:36
Would work!. And for the peeps who says "its to confusing", you really need a big lack of concetration to keep forgetting, after he told you at the start of the game( wich everyone must do) what his troops are. Another point if you dont like it, but lmao dont say its cause it will be confusing.

Sir_Glonojad
29-08-2012, 08:42
It also depends. If it's a single case one can remember. But if it is a part of an army where half of units is not what they seem to be...

Nymie_the_Pooh
29-08-2012, 08:52
Rules wise I'd like to see them on 25mm bases. A nitpick from me is to get the height of a Savage Orc for line of sight purposes. That being said, we proxy models all the time before buying using nothing more than blank bases of the appropriate sizes for testing. We wouldn't go to a tournament with a formation of blank bases with an index card laying in the middle of them, but for one off friendly games where we want to try something before plopping down some money we do.

If it were me and I wanted to do this I would start at the 25mm bases and try to think of a thematic way to separate these Goblins out from the rest in such a way that they can't be mistaken for anything else in the army. If you have more than one unit using Savage Goblin models then you absolutely need to make certain that this unit is nothing like the others somehow. Consistency goes a long way to clearly communicating what each unit is or is not when it comes to conversions. Maybe have the top portion of a tree on each base for them to perch on or something similar so they are as tall as the Savage Orcs. The height is not that big of a deal, but it's nice if you could manage it.

Ultimately all such questions can only be truly answered by the people you will be playing or the organizers for events you plan to attend. You can have all the backing in the form of online consensus and it won't truly matter. Check with the people you plan to play with. Take the advice from this thread if you plan on hitting some of the larger tournaments as online opinions are sometimes a mix of the larger events and local scenes from around the word. See if you can't satisfy both crowds, but the people you play with are going to matter a lot more in this instance.

Armond
29-08-2012, 15:06
Well the thing is the people I play with don't mind. But I am military so I don't exactly stay in one place forever. I just like to get a general feel overall on how people perceive what I am considering doing.

Also using the vintage figs is holding me back. I may just use them as the goblins they are and have them as the twenty Gobbo bunker unit for my bsb and one of the shaman.

Dark Aly
29-08-2012, 17:16
Well sorry Jind but I'd find it "meh". Hey, he asked. Goblins to represent the killiest orcs around? Especially when he could have the genuine things, and use the forest gobs as either kind of available goblins, for a much better theme, is a shame, if you ask me. I wouldn't refuse to play them, I would say nothing of it in fact, unless he asked, but I don't like the idea.
That is, unless they're converted to look veeery impressive for gobs.

I'm with Urgat on this. Plus it's a shame to do anything with such cool OOP models IMHO.