PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Army Cheat-sheet; Allowed?

dugaal
29-08-2012, 06:37
So I do not play in GW stores but was thinking about it after the Tokyo store moved to allow more tables. That said would I get in trouble for using the following?
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/Stevix/chaos/Warp%20Kings/condensedsamp.jpg

Considering that I also bring my Rulebook and Codex, and am not distributing the docs (which only contain units and options I have built into my army) would this be OK?

Ozendorph
29-08-2012, 06:41
I cannot think of any reason anyone would have a problem with that.

Narf
29-08-2012, 07:29
its basically your army list with reminders, no prblem there at all!

Akkaryn
29-08-2012, 07:37
Looks like an army builder list (if it isn't they're remarkably alike)

I use these in gw. The normal manager has no issues with it. With the cover guy only having issues until I pulled my rule/army book out.

I've also got a friend that writes all the stats rules in his army list book for ease of reference.

Shamana
29-08-2012, 07:45
I'm not seeing why anyone would give you a problem for having something written down for your reference. As you said, you ARE bringing the codex, so if someone wants to check you can just hand it to them.

Gertjan
29-08-2012, 10:41
I'd rather see someone doing this than having to flip through his codex every 5 minutes to look something up, ofcourse without knowing where it is and spending a lot of time finding it. No, overviews like that are great, they speed up the game quite a bit and are a good help. Never have trouble with it, if something is unclear it's always possible to still use the rulebooks after all.

TheDirtyHippy
29-08-2012, 10:53
You should give the plasma pistol the proper strength and AP though :P

Thud
29-08-2012, 13:04
I'd have a bigger problem with the fact that the rules you have on your cheat-sheet are wrong, than with the cheat-sheet itself.

dugaal
29-08-2012, 13:22
Well the printed one I use has some fixes penned in. For the sake of posting online I just used my unfixed doc, the point is if this is a legal acceptable document (and not publishing anything someone would copy)

Thud I agree with you both in principle and practice; how can the enemy be sure I'm not adding things? One part is me listing page numbers for the real rules (which Ive been obliged to show and yes, have penned in fixes)
Second is me not being an ******* in fights, I usually second guess myself going to rulebook anyways and give my friends the benefit.

Chem-Dog
29-08-2012, 15:06
how can the enemy be sure I'm not adding things?

Considering that I also bring my Rulebook and Codex

Job done!

If there are any queries, hand them the appropriate tome and tell them where they can find the appropriate detail. No muss, no fuss.
You've got a crib sheet, not some magical formula that infects the enemy dice with bad rolls.

RaShondala
29-08-2012, 15:09
I do this.

If there's a discrepancy, I keep the codex/brb page number next to the appropriate part, so I can search quickly.

Ace Rimmer
29-08-2012, 18:33
Didn't 3rd ed come with something similar in the back to photocopy so you could make crib sheet's for your army?

DEADMARSH
29-08-2012, 18:40
I do this.

If there's a discrepancy, I keep the codex/brb page number next to the appropriate part, so I can search quickly.

I do it as well. Especially when I'm using a codex that's new to me. I make all kinds of little notes regarding special rules, distance move vs. shooting options, etc. I've never had anyone give me a hard time over it.

Blinder
29-08-2012, 18:49
The set for 3rd actually came with a couple copies printed on card, was pretty nice.

Meanwhile, as long as you have all the actual books, I don't see any reason your reference can't be as fancy as you like as long as you're not distributing it.

madden
29-08-2012, 21:35
You can download army roster sheets (which is what yours are) from the GW site so no problems. I use a similar thing in my local as long as I've got the dex and rule book with me for double checking it's no problem.

wyvirn
29-08-2012, 22:05
I don't see the difference between this and writing down your rules on paper other than being more organized. Just be sure to double check in the codex if something doesn't seem right.

Kaltenberg
29-08-2012, 22:10
How is this considered a cheat?
Merely curius

Dwane Diblie
30-08-2012, 02:35
I have copied and truncated my Eldar Codex in to a PDF for my Tablet (and reformated it to match current codex styles) and my local GW store is fine with it as long as I bring the actual codex with me also.

It also includes all the units from IA:11, which is too big to carry around with me, but they know I own one so they are cool with it.

I also have a Necron cheet sheet that I used when I started playing the new Necrons. Don't use it so much theese days. Today though I am trying my new Mission Setup Referance sheet that I created. They will either be fine with it or I will get told never to use it again, which I doubt.

RaShondala
30-08-2012, 02:52
I do it as well. Especially when I'm using a codex that's new to me. I make all kinds of little notes regarding special rules, distance move vs. shooting options, etc. I've never had anyone give me a hard time over it.

Exactly. It's also a bad habit of mine to scrawl into my codexes where I can find things, i.e. in the army lists, next to Lord Schmoobleydong's Scatter Cushion of Febreeze, I'll write p. eleventeen.