PDA

View Full Version : What would you expect to see in a Empire-based chaos army?

BigbyWolf
30-08-2012, 16:13
Pretty much as the title would suggest. As I'm nearing completion of my armoured WoC army, I want to add some different troops into it, but have a severe dislike for Marauders (I started in the days before they came back into the 5th edition book, when it was Warriors, Cultists and Beastmen). I've previously just used a selection of very old state-troops, but given my newly discovered love for painting I want to freshen the army up a bit and include a good mixture of troops.

I've got a few ideas, which I will go into shortly, but was just wondering what other people could suggest to represent anything non-warrior based from the Warriors book.

lybban
30-08-2012, 18:31
Flagellants

Graxy
30-08-2012, 18:51
Archaon. What? He used to be a priest (if memory serves correctly).

NonComPoop
30-08-2012, 19:57
I would love to see mutants. humans with horrible mutations. It's something that is talked about often in the fluff but has a very limited appearance on the models. The idea of bands of human outcasts joining a WOC army as it rampages through the empire is kinda satisfying..plus modeling mutants would be quite fun!

mrtn
30-08-2012, 20:49
I'm using my beastmen as marauders when playing WoC, I can't stand the marauder models either.
Both cultists and mutants would be nice.

Beastlord
30-08-2012, 21:58
A mixture of free company types, flagellants, beastmen, and converted mutant types is what I'd go for.

danny-d-b
30-08-2012, 22:01
having had an empire- based chaos army I had festus (converted warrior priest)- marauders (state troops), Chaos knights (converted knightly orders)

was also thinking upon converting a hell cannon from possessed artilery

BigbyWolf
31-08-2012, 14:53
I like the ideas so far. I'm looking at a couple of units at the time being, with a max size of 40 in each to give me options. I think Gors would be perfect for one of them, and for the other I was looking at getting:

A box of Free Company
A box of Flagellants
The Possesed Warband, Carnival of Chaos Warband and Angry Mob from Mordheim.

That should give me a unique looking unit, with plenty of character.

For Marauder Horsemen I was considering a unit of Centigors as one unit, and a selection of the mounted models from Mordheim (like this chap- http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490054a&prodId=prod1120033). Empirish, but not heavily armoured...Horsemen with spears!

Mordheim might be a little pricy, but they do have some fantastic models, I'd love to use the Plague Cart as a Nurgle Chariot.

I've already got a standard Hellcannon, but I've got a couple of spare giants too...I was thinking of using bits from the Helstorm rocket launcher to build a dual-shoulder-mounted "cyclone missile launcher" for another counts-as hellcannon.

The only other things I'm looking at are Chosen and Forsaken, but they can probably wait until the rumoured dual kit comes out withthe new book.

Asp
02-09-2012, 16:15
fallen sister of sigmar

TheDungen
02-09-2012, 21:45
Archaon. What? He used to be a priest (if memory serves correctly).

Its been strongly implied that the man known as Archon was once Gotthard, son of Graf Heydrich of Reikland (Note that the ruler of Reikland is a prince so its not the ruling family he's not closely related to Karl Franz). He was a member of the Reiksguard that got caught up in a chaos cult and then fled north when it was discovered. The full story is called "The Path of Damnation" and can be found in WD 273 (european).

Its never specificity stated that Gotthard is Archon but considering a Minotaur says: "Only the chosen may pass" and a disembodied voice coming from a massive gateway states: "ONLY ONE MAY ENTER, THE WAY LIES BEYOND THIS PORTAL, ARE YOU THE CHOSEN ONE?" I think its fair bet.

Lord Zarkov
02-09-2012, 23:02
Its been strongly implied that the man known as Archon was once Gotthard, son of Graf Heydrich of Reikland (Note that the ruler of Reikland is a prince so its not the ruling family he's not closely related to Karl Franz). He was a member of the Reiksguard that got caught up in a chaos cult and then fled north when it was discovered. The full story is called "The Path of Damnation" and can be found in WD 273 (european).

Its never specificity stated that Gotthard is Archon but considering a Minotaur says: "Only the chosen may pass" and a disembodied voice coming from a massive gateway states: "ONLY ONE MAY ENTER, THE WAY LIES BEYOND THIS PORTAL, ARE YOU THE CHOSEN ONE?" I think its fair bet.

Actually, Gotthard is Aekold Hellbrass, a version of that story is in Liber Chaotica. Also it was the Order of the Jade Griffon, not the Reiksguard.

Archaon was initially initiate of an enclosed order of monks called "the Order of the Hammer", before he joined an order of templar-kinghts. He was particularly zealous in searching for a way to drive out Chaos, until he read the Necrodomo Codex which drove him mad. He burned down the sanctuary he found it in, renounced Sigmar, spat on the Gods of men and swore himself to Chaos. He then changed his name to Archaon and hunted down and killed his entire family, all the friends, and anyone who connected him to his former life. He then decided he was going to be the Everchosen (which was written about in the book) and went searching for the artefacts the Everchosen requires.

MintyReptile
03-09-2012, 03:03
Personally, I'd love to see them make an army of Chaos for the Oriental empire. That would be pretty cool

TheDungen
03-09-2012, 05:39
then they've changed it cause the story i read states a commission into the reiksguard.

logan054
03-09-2012, 11:18
then they've changed it cause the story i read states a commission into the reiksguard.

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Archaon

As far as I was aware that is the short version of fluff, I have never read anything about him being a Reiksguard, as you said, its hinted, perhaps you are just misreading the hints? what edition did you start playing?

Mullitron
03-09-2012, 15:39
Some basic troops, but to make then appear more chaotic I would drop any shields and mixup their weapons and poses a bit, less of a disciplined formation and more of a rabble. Any wizard or character model from the empire range with a replacement head arm or mount from the chaos range should work. You could go the Be'lakor way and shove a empire character on your bsb, perhaps the armies previous general who would not turn. Giant and hell cannon conversions are always good but I feel it's with the character models you will have the most fun creating your own unique models with an interesting backstory.

meowser
03-09-2012, 16:47
Hurricanium/Luminark/War Altar counts-as for warshrine
Demigryphs counts-as Dragon Ogres (Warriors on some big steed)

BigbyWolf
03-09-2012, 18:14

In the 5th edition "Champions of Chaos" book Gotthard is a Reiksguard, but he isn't Archaon. I wouldn't call the couple of "Chosen" mentions strong implying, they probably just refer to his particular path. The backstory to Archaon is only a couple of pages before the Gotthard story in the book, and it is pretty bang on with what Lord Zarkov posted.

Some basic troops, but to make then appear more chaotic I would drop any shields and mixup their weapons and poses a bit, less of a disciplined formation and more of a rabble. Any wizard or character model from the empire range with a replacement head arm or mount from the chaos range should work. You could go the Be'lakor way and shove a empire character on your bsb, perhaps the armies previous general who would not turn. Giant and hell cannon conversions are always good but I feel it's with the character models you will have the most fun creating your own unique models with an interesting backstory.

A couple of the plastic wizards are perfect for "chaos-ing up", and my human "marauders" will definetly be a rag-tag bag of misfits. Most of my characters I already have (Aekold Helbrass, and a converted Green Knight), the look I'm going for is for Warriors/ Chaos Knights to be the hardcore long-term followers, backed up by a bunch of newly turned humans.

Hurricanium/Luminark/War Altar counts-as for warshrine
Demigryphs counts-as Dragon Ogres (Warriors on some big steed)

I love the idea for the Wizard-mobiles as Warshines, and the Demigryphs are perfect as Drogres, but with the rumoured new Drogers and Warshrine models I'm going to wait to see what they come up with. That being said, I'd probably look to get multiple units, so using the empire stuff gives me the opportunity to do so and have a very varied model selection.

MOMUS
04-09-2012, 10:09
The mantic ghoul kit is rather nice and could be mixed in with the state troops as mutants/outcasts.

Artinam
04-09-2012, 10:19
Get the Mordheim Possesed Warband as well, they make excellent unit champions or models to make your unit look cooler.