PDA

View Full Version : 2500 High Elves (Phoenix

jarbo
30-08-2012, 17:21
This is my attempt at a semi-competitive HE list. It wil mainly revolve on point denial as my 2 main units are phoenix guard, but still packs a punch with the sword masters. Any Advice would be great as I don't currently have high elves, this is the list I'm looking into buying.

Archmage lv 4 (In spearmen)
Dispel Scroll
Talisman of Saphery
Folariath's Robe
Lore of shadow will help me both offensively and defensively. He is basically unkillable and can accpet challenges.

Mage lv 2 (In Phoenix guard)
Annulian Crystal
Helps with magic def, and takes lore of fire for support.

Noble BSB (in swordmasters)
Great wep
Armour of Caledor,
Guardian Phoenix
In a 2+/5+ so decent survivability.

41 Spearmen (7 wide is 28 attacks when charged)
Full command
War Banner

11 Archers (fill core/take out chaff units)
Muscian

12 Archers (fill core/take out chaff units)

20 Phoenix Guard (awsome anvil)
Full command
Banner of Sorcery

19 Phoenix Guard (awsome anvil)
Full command

20 Sword Masters (hammer)
Full command

1 Great Eagle (chaff to redirect or take out artillary)

1 Great Eagle(chaff to redirect or take out artillary)

2500 points

Pretty stright forward list. I think it should do well as a all-comers list. 4 blocks of infantry, 2 archer units, 2 eagles should be enough to handle most situations.

Moss
30-08-2012, 18:20
I like it. My only suggestion is to put the BSB somewhere else. The SMs don't really need the added killing power, and they're already a prime target for shooting and spells. With him in the unit, there's now a bigger reward for shooting them off the board.

Graxy
30-08-2012, 21:54
A High Elf list without Book of Hoeth and Lore of Shadow! There's hope for the world yet! :p

Now down to the business:

I'd probably throw the lvl2 in the archers, just to avoid combat, rather than in the front lines wth the phoenix guard.

The BSB would probably be better suited in the PG, just sine they're a better bunker. More survivable so less likely to break.

41 spearmen seems solid.

The army's literally built around double phoenix guard, so I'm not going to touch that.

I'd be tempted to split the swordsmasters, since you're army as it stands is very block orientated and by splitting them , it gives you a couple of darts, making the army as a whole a bit more manouverable.

Hope I helped :)

Wbarobinson
02-09-2012, 15:01
The swordmasters do not make sense. They have a sign that says shoot me written on them. When I run sm, i run 60 so that my enemy's 45 arrows or so worth of shotting only neutralize one unit while the others make it into combat and devastate. I would just field more phoenix guard. And lore of shadow is too good to pass up.

Von Wibble
02-09-2012, 16:03
60 swordmasters - 900 points for 1 unit seems really extreme to me! I find 20 is OK for a unit - the trick is to deploy out of sight of the nastiest shooters. That said I think Life is a much better lore for swordmasters than shadows - shadows as a lore suits Phoenix guard and spears. Therefore I think white lions could be a better choice than swordmasters to fit the army.

List looks fine to me in general. Personally I run spearmen 5 wide as they seem to win more often in that formation. Can't remember for sure but I think your Archmage has 105pts of magic items.

Watch out for Daemons fighting your Archmage!

jarbo
02-09-2012, 17:57
Thanks for the input guys. Remade the list with a few changes based on a few suggestions.

Archmage lv 4 (Shadow)
Silver Wand
Talisman of Saphery
Folariath's Robe
With 5 spells I'm basically going to get the shadow spells I need. Built basically unkillable if used right. Can accept challenged from unexpecting characters.

Mage lv 1 (High magic)
Annulian Crystal
Here as magic defense and to cast shield on the sword masters.

Noble BSB
Armour of Caledor, 25 pts
Guardian Phoenix, 25 pts
Add some punch to the phoenix guard while in a 2+/5+

40 Spearmen (lv 4 goes here) 5 wide
Full command
Banner of Eternal Flame
here to get my core requirement and get mindrazored if I have to. Even 20 ASF str 3 attacks can do some damage with shadow on the lv 4

10 Archers (lv 1 here)
Musician
Bunker the lv 1 and shoot chaff

10 Archers
Musician
shoot chaff or can be used to redirect

19 Phoenix Guard (bsb here)
Full command
Beautiful models, awsome fluff, survivability, and can do ok damage with str 4

20 Phoenix Guard
Full command
Banner of Sorcery(+d3 every magic phase is too good to pass up)
Same as above

21 Sword Masters of Hoeth (7x3 Formation)
Full command
I fight tons of vamps so not too worried about shooting. This is based on buying 2 islands of blood, but I agree with you von wibble White lions will work better with shadow. they will be my next purchase.

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Spears
Hunt war machines, redirect, or kill chaff

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

2500 points

immortal git
05-09-2012, 17:42
Feilding a unit of 60 swordmasters...I bet people want to play against you twice

mo-man
20-09-2012, 19:45
lol if you play a warriors list and they get treason of tzeentch that unit will die very quickly.

Moss
20-09-2012, 20:29
Feilding a unit of 60 swordmasters...I bet people want to play against you twice

I'll play against that. They can spend four turns chasing skinks.

I like small units of SMs. If I'm playing against HEs, I'm not going to fight their SMs under any circumstance.
Best to take 12 or so, so that if your enemy avoids them like I do, you won't have wasted 350pts on a unit that only killed a few redirectors. Plus, if they get shot to death (and they will), it won't be too terrible a loss. AND, if they somehow DO manage to get into combat with something meaningful, they will still do some serious damage (even if you have only a few left).

MR. GRUMPY
20-09-2012, 21:11
I would switch out one unit of PG for a unit of white lions. You cannot buff two unit PGs enough to make them kill anything. I would also shrink the swordmaster to small speedbumps or remove it and get some more chaff, flankers. DP or chariots for example. I would also have the bsb go in the PG.. they need the extra punch.

jarbo
20-09-2012, 21:21
I've played about 10 or so games now and had a chance to make a few tweeks. Here is what I came up with:

Archmage (lv 4)
Silver Wand
Talisman of Saphery
Folariath's Robe
Takes lore of shadow in most games, goes in spearmen, can accept challenges.

Mage (lv 2)
Annulian Crystal, 40 pts
Takes high magic, here for magic def and cast shield, goes in seaguard unit

Noble (BSB w/ GW)
Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix
Goes in white lions, does decent damage

Caradryan
In PG, here for damage output

40 Spearmen
Fill core requirement and can do damage with shadow debuffs

11 archers
Fill core and shoot redirectors

11 archers
Fill core and shoot redirectors

24 Phoenix Guard
Full command
Banner of Sorcery
Awsome anvil, can do damage with shadow debuffs

29 White Lions of Chrace
full command
Major hammer

Great Eagle
obvious

Great Eagle
obvious

total 2498

Thoughts?

Moss
20-09-2012, 21:48
I really like it. I would have the lvl 4 swap places with the BSB. The spear elves can use the extra kick, the white lions don't necessarily need it.

Where is the lvl 2 going? Sea Guard?

Also, you're going to struggle against VC, having nothing to hurt ethereals. Maybe swap the lvl 2 upgrade for the ruby ring?

MR. GRUMPY
21-09-2012, 15:14
Is Caradryan really worth it for you? I could see more use in SM/chariot speed bumps. And as I said in my last post about your big SM unit I think PG needs the bsb more then the white lions.

But overall its big improvement to the last list!

If you have the models/time I would suggest you try out a shooty shadow/high magic list aswell it can be very fun. Basically you would just have to switch out the spearmen for archers and get two boltthrowers in. :)

mo-man
22-09-2012, 11:50
if you can find the points from somewhere, get the champion upgrade which lets him and his unit hurt ethereal things then you won't be worried about them

Wbarobinson
25-09-2012, 00:20
When I said 60 swordmasters... I meant 3x20 or 2x30... 60 in one unit is hilarious, but no fun.