PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld demon engines

Johnmclane
30-08-2012, 20:37
Are they worth the price? Have a friend who's buying me somthing from forgeworld, and thinking of the blightdrone or khorne blood-variants?

Are they nice kits? Do you think they'll be usable (prob. as count as) with the new codex? And what is they really do :)?

Aryllon
30-08-2012, 20:48
Blight drone could be useful in these days of fliers. The Khorne blood slaughterers are damn cool :)
Personally I'd be very happy with either of those.

Yeah the FW stuff is really nice. The detail is much easier to appreciate first-hand rather than photos. If you pick up the relevant rules via Imperial Armour, it'll include a full army list entry so you can use it as normal in games of 40k.

Unless your friends are the "don't let him use the cool FW stuff" types... :angel:

Charax
30-08-2012, 20:50
The rules and availability of Forgeworld units is entirely independent of a codex update, anything you get will still be usable because they're not in the codex.

Blight drones are awesome, but not too brilliant individually. As one of the few flyers that comes in a unit of 1-3 they're also a great source of Skyfire (I'll have to check if they can Skyfire in hover mode) but even without that, they're carrying mobile battlecannons. Many Nurgle players consider Blight Drones a must-have unit.

The blood slaughterer is decent enough, but not really tactically interesting. The Impaler lets you pull some unexpected tricks, but otherwise you just charge it forward and watch the skulls pile up.

If you're only getting a single engine, the slaughterer is the way to go. Blight drones need to be taken in groups or they'll draw so much fire they go down in turn 1 (maybe not if used as flyers though)

Ozendorph
30-08-2012, 21:45
I run two Blood Slaughterers with my Khorne CSM, and love 'em. They either soak up a mess of fire, chop up several enemy units, or both. Lovely models that can be posed in many different ways, and their front armor 13, 3HP, and 5+ daemon save keep them chugging along.

Panzerella
31-08-2012, 13:21
Blight drone could be useful in these days of fliers. The Khorne blood slaughterers are damn cool :)
Personally I'd be very happy with either of those.

Yeah the FW stuff is really nice. The detail is much easier to appreciate first-hand rather than photos. If you pick up the relevant rules via Imperial Armour, it'll include a full army list entry so you can use it as normal in games of 40k.

Unless your friends are the "don't let him use the cool FW stuff" types... :angel:

What FW books do I actually need to buy to get the rules/stats for the CSM FW models? They have so many different books I am not sure which one(s) I need...

Godzooky
31-08-2012, 14:47
Don't forget the Decimator.

Vlad Urkana
31-08-2012, 15:19
Currently to get the span of Chaos available models you would have to get:
Imperial Armour 5
Imperial Armour 6
Imperial Armour 7
Imperial Armour Apocalypse II
Imperial Armour Apocalypse Second Edition
Imperial Armour Aeronautica

Of these the last two will be the most important since they are the most current books with Chaos stuff in them. You can also download the rules for the Decimator Engine from FW for free right now. CSM also have access to a lot of normal SM stuff too like the Storm Eagle and Spartan Assault Tank whose rules are still available for download. I would suggest going to their download page (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Downloads.html) and get everything 40k related as it is all nice.

Commotionpotion
31-08-2012, 18:37
Re: Blight Drones. They only have a Ork-type BS, but that doesn't really matter with blast weaponry. Bear in mind that each one also carries a Reaper Autocannon - not only is this a twin-linked weapon, thus mitigating the poor BS, but if rumours are to be believed, it might actually get more shots come the new CSM codex.

CrownAxe
31-08-2012, 18:44
There is also the Plague Hulk. A Nurgle Soul Grinder with poison weaponry and always has 5+ cover

Though because all the engines have the Daemon USR as par the FW 6ed faq, thay all also have 5++ invul

Kijamon
31-08-2012, 18:51
The decimator is lovely looking, fun to build and massive with some decent rules.

However, it has the ankles of an 80 year old suffering with arthritis.

DuskRaider
31-08-2012, 19:38
The Blight Drone is great... You need to field at least 3, and they aren't cheap points-wise, but the devastation they can cause (especially w/ their 6th Ed. rules) is just out of sight. The shock value alone is worth it, and it's quite a sight to see 9 of them on the field (12 with Daemon Allies).

Vlad Urkana
31-08-2012, 20:17
375 isn't all that much for 3 flying battle cannons plus 6 reaper autocannon shots (albeit at BS 2). 12 of them for 1500 does sound fairly nasty, but you would be bare bones with the rest of your army.

DuskRaider
01-09-2012, 00:59
The most I've played is 9 in a 2500 point game. It adds up and it can effect the rest of the army, but it's really nasty watching all of those templates just fall on the enemy.

Cap'n Shings
01-09-2012, 01:34
I would also throw the Decimator out there. Its one sexy looking model and even better, the rules are available for free.

ChromeZephyr
01-09-2012, 02:27
Oi. I need to figure out a counts-as for those blight drones, then. Not a big fan of the Nurgle stuff, but flying battle cannons are just too tasty to pass up.

Johnmclane
01-09-2012, 07:07
Already ordered the decimator :). One interesting rumour ( it's in the roundup) is that chaos will get a 'shooty demon engine' which could be a dual wielding butcher cannon decimator eqvivilant ( spelling?). For 120 pts. So ordered the model to run as chaos dreadnought :)

totgeboren
01-09-2012, 19:57
Remember that you need to include at least one unit of Plague Marines to use Blight Drones in a CSM list. However, you could just use them as allies from the daemon codex and all is well. :)