PDA

View Full Version : Ravenwing, what's so great?

Ealdwulf
31-08-2012, 19:48
So it's been a long time since I've played 40k, maybe 3 years. Last time I played seriously I was a Tau Player, and nobody in my club ever ran Ravenwing, or bikes of any kind.

I'm curious, aside from the obvious speed advantage, what's so great about marines on bikes? Do they get impact hits like chariots in fantasy or something?

Any veteran answers would be most appreciated.

- Ealdwulf

Mini77
31-08-2012, 20:02
T5, Hammer of Wrath, twin-linked bolters, mobility and speed and the fact they look really cool.

Ealdwulf
31-08-2012, 20:12
T5, Hammer of Wrath, twin-linked bolters, mobility and speed and the fact they look really cool.

Haha, that last bit is certain true, what does Hammer of Wrath do? The twin linked bolters + whatever the rider is carrying?

Lantern
31-08-2012, 20:20
Hammer of Wrath let's the user hit with an initiative 10 attack when they charge (like an impact hit). So on the charge, Ravenwing do (at the moment) 3 strength 4 attacks each (the last two at initiative 4) . The Bolters and the rider weapons are a choice - one or the other each turn, not both. Your paying for the flexibility of choice.

Blinder
31-08-2012, 20:22

Bolded the pertinent bit, at least for ravenwing vs. general marines on bikes (especially now that there are several ways to field bikes/speeders (or is it mainly "all bikes" outside of DA?)).

Ealdwulf
31-08-2012, 20:29
Hammer of Wrath let's the user hit with an initiative 10 attack when they charge (like an impact hit). So on the charge, Ravenwing do (at the moment) 3 strength 4 attacks each (the last two at initiative 4) . The Bolters and the rider weapons are a choice - one or the other each turn, not both. Your paying for the flexibility of choice.

Seems solid

Bolded the pertinent bit, at least for ravenwing vs. general marines on bikes (especially now that there are several ways to field bikes/speeders (or is it mainly "all bikes" outside of DA?)).

To be expected, I'm just curious how the Ravenwing will adapt once we see what the Dark Angels new Codex will have in store for the Ravenwing (if/when it comes out).

librerian_samae
31-08-2012, 20:43
I find the speed is one of the really great aspects, as no one expects it when you reposition your entire battle line in one turn, also outflanking is really nice with them at the moment, also their synergy with deathwing is rather tasty for precision strikes.

Finnaly master Samael on his own is so full of badd assery and win (plus he seems to work well in game as a mop up and support) that he kinda justifys the whole army just on his lonesome :p

Killgore
31-08-2012, 21:06
Superhumans on giant Motorbikes!

High speed and decent firepower :) Whats not to like? well apart from the points cost.

I have 3 bike units in my Black Templars army, 1 with Power weapons, 1 with Meltaguns and recently one with Plasmaguns, its great fun :)

Rated_lexxx
31-08-2012, 21:20

Well lets be exact here. You only get 1 bonus attack at initiative 10 at your base str. Also you have to be in B2B to get hammer of wraith

Starchild
31-08-2012, 22:44
@Blinder: Of course vanilla bikes can't get teleport homers, so the Ravenwing attack squadron is effectively up to four units in one: scout bikes & sm bikes combo, attack bike, and land speeder.