PDA

View Full Version : What Revs Your Engines?

Eldartank
01-09-2012, 03:43
Hello, everyone. I thought it might be time for another fun, positive thread. Yes, I started one like this a while back. It was called "The Opposite of Pet Peeves" or something like that. Someone in that thread suggested to me that I call it "What Revs Your Engines" as an opposite to the pet peeve thread called "What Grinds Your Gears." I can't remember who that person was, but thanks for the great suggestion. Anyway, this thread is about those little things in gaming (40K in particular) that make you smile or bring simple pleasure. I listed some things in my original thread a while back, so I'll just list a new one now:

I'm looking forward to the new bi-focal glasses that I will soon be getting (yeah, I got old enough that I need bi-focals now). It will be so nice to be able to do small-detail painting of my miniatures again. It was really difficult and not fun when I recently had to start using a large magnifying glass on a stand to do detail painting, so I'm looking forward to doing painting while just wearing eyeglasses again like I used to.... ;)

Okay, that's my little two cents worth. Go ahead, everyone, discuss.... :)

(edditid tu korekt speling errerz)

hawo0313
01-09-2012, 04:42
well i actually recently tried nmn for the first time on mephistons force weapon it took ages and was frusrating that i had to keep referencing white dwarfs, tutorials and 3D images of how light effects objects but the end result blended nicely and even though its not pro level i was excited that i could pull it off. now im itching o get some games in with this guy as not only has he been he first SC i have painted.

gaming wise is keeping track of that outperforming unit that rolls well and you really play it to the best of your ability especialy in a close match

Battleworthy Arts
01-09-2012, 07:26
At Games Day, the golden demon contest. Hearing and seeing people ooh and ahh over your work... especially like-minded enthusiasts, was a fantastic high.

Even better, a very good friend of mine, Warseer's own Faeslayer, took the silver in 40k large monster... never been more proud. Hes my friend, but also a constant source of inspiration. It was like one of the kids from the neighboorhood done good. That kind of comraderie and excitement definitely fuels my enthusiasm.

Faeslayer
01-09-2012, 07:47
Aw hell! I was just going to post to this and now I have to follow that. The inspiration is mutual, truly! Something about knowing and gaming with someone who paints as well and as seriously as you spurs me on to keep trying to improve. One day we're gonna meet with fully painted apoc armies and I'm gonna hire a damn photojournalist to cover it. I might have to hire two, as the first will die from having his MIND BLOWN.

Also, for me, just playing a game... weeks can go by (sometimes a month or so) between games, but after a good throw-down (win or lose) the first thing I want to do is go home, pick a unit out of the unpainted pile, and make it proppa. The more often I play... the more line troops get painted! It works every time! :D

Still Standing
01-09-2012, 18:33
Facing off against a nicely painted thematic force. We all know what I mean by thematic. Not Blood Angels allied to Necrons!

TheConverter15
01-09-2012, 18:51
A fully pro painted 10/10 forgeworld only army. Maybe Death Korps of Krieg or a pre-heresy armor only marine army, just looks so awesome :)

Sildani
01-09-2012, 19:11
Playing against an opponent who knows the rules, has a painted army, and is as committed to providing me with a good game and a good time as I am to him/her.

Robotlord
01-09-2012, 20:38
Tanks. Seriously, I love it when tanks have fully painted interiors and other details. It doesn't have to be a tank, but that kind of attention to detail. I admit a FW marine army would be cool to see as well though.

Woodsman
01-09-2012, 21:16
Anything original and well thought out - very vague I know, but just occasionally you come across something so well done, yet really bringing out something a little different.

Playing with an old friend, glancing up and knowing that you want the same things and regardless of what occurs on the table you'll always have a mate to drink, dance and cry with.

Your girlfriend getting excited about the Hobbit and planning some games with her!

Max_Killfactor
02-09-2012, 02:21
When I don't fail a shadowfield save the whole game.

Or

When I fail my first shadowfield save.

RaShondala
02-09-2012, 02:32
Beautiful models.

I'm no excellent painter by anyone's standards, but when I see a model I love, and try my hardest to make it bearable to look at, I fall in love with the game all over again. A well painted army doesn't matter to me, as long as I've tried as well as I can.

Lord Cook
02-09-2012, 02:38
Winning the best sportsman trophy at a tournament when you honestly had no idea you were even in the running.

Athlan na Dyr
02-09-2012, 03:34
Trying a new painting technique and it works well without it taking an age and a half to do.

assembling/ painting wraithlords or jetbikes. Two of my favourite models in the eldar range.

Retrospectus
02-09-2012, 18:13
Killing terminators with lasguns. something about watching someone fail 4-5 2+ saves makes me feel so smug :evilgrin:

Latro_
02-09-2012, 19:44
I love those cool dioramas that come up from time to time, stuff liek this:
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/5/23/107056_md-Civilian,%2520Diarama,%2520Dog,%2520Drop%2520Pod.j pg

+10 40k enthusiasm pts in one pic

Noart
02-09-2012, 21:32
The throttle revs my engine.

Cheeslord
02-09-2012, 22:12
I like close games, where it really comes down to the last throw of the last dice on turn 5/6/7, both sides having fought well and had a realistic chance of winning.

Vehicles continuing to put up a fight with arms/legs/tracks/guns blown off

Fielding new custom built or converted models for the first time (doesn't happen very often these days ... I don't have so much time for creativity)

Mark.

Saim-Hann Lord
04-09-2012, 20:32
A distinct lack of cheese.
I.E. playing an opponent who is fielding an army he/she thinks is cool. Like fielding an Imperial Guard army with no armour values and fitting in as many mortars as possible (my army). An army with a theme. Not just a cheese-mongering power-tripping I-want-to-win theme, a fluffy theme. Like my old Saim-Hann army.

Then playing that person, both people having painted armies and knowing that whatever happens, it's going to be a good game and afterwards we're going to joke and laugh about the highs and lows each player faced.

*sigh* that'll renew my faith in the hobby.

Also, a reduction in prices by GW!! :D