PDA

View Full Version : sprues vs. snap-fit models in 40k starter sets

Fugazi
01-09-2012, 14:50
I guess I have to ask this about 40k starters because I'm less familiar with WHFB starters.

If I remember right, the 3rd ed. starter had the full SM and DE sprues. 4th ed. starter (Battle for Macragge) through 6th have some form of snap-fit sprue that is custom to the starter set.

I'm curious why, for example, the Tac SM in the Dark Vengeance (6th ed.) starter are not from the full sprues. Is it because GW can fit more minis on the snap fit sprues (thereby making a lighter box for cheaper shipping to their retail locations)? Because I would have thought that throwing in full Tac sprues would be cheaper than redesigning/retooling new snap-fit sprues.

Mini77
01-09-2012, 14:58
Traditionally the starter sets have been designed to open the box and play a game within half an hour. You just can't do that when everything needs to be glued together properly.

Inquisitor Kallus
01-09-2012, 15:02
Because it takes far less time to build snap fit than than non-snap fit models. I worked for the company a while ago and talked to one of the guys from head office about the box sets once. I was told that the problem with the 3rd edition set was that it took so long for people to build that they lost interest in the game, with a number giving up completely. The snap fit allows you to get started a lot quicker. Besides that, the box is meant as a starter and the marine box set gives you lots of different options in it, the DV sprues are mixed with chaos and marines on each i believe to take full advantage of the layout.

nedius
01-09-2012, 15:08
There are a few reasons I can think of.

1. Snap fit minitatures are easier to create elaboratively detailed, dynamically posed miniatures without the need to worry about how the detail will make them poseable.
2. Those details and dynamic poses make your flagship boxed games look really cool.
3. They are new player friendly. They are part of a 'starter set' after all. Little Jimmy needs to be able to get his cool models without needing any modeling skills, and helps make sure he doesn't just end up with a lump of glue with plastic hidden within.
4. The snapfit set up means many gamers will by just one or two copies of the starter set and then look to buy the other more expensive sprue kits so that they can have variety in their armies. It discourages people just bulk buying the cheap starter kit.
5. With snapfit, there's no need to worry about allocating space to 'options', so more actual miniatures. More minatures looks far bette rthan more bits once you place them on the table top. Just think of the weight of plastic left over when you finish some of the option-intense spure kits available.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-09-2012, 19:27
Its because GW wants the starter set to be an introduction to the game not a box of "there is a game here honest, you will even get to play it in a couple of hours if you stick with it".

Edit:completely unrelated but 5555 posts, neat (and entirely too much time spent).

Lord Damocles
01-09-2012, 19:37
Possibly giving new players a 3rd ed. plastic Landspeeder to build before they could play counts more as 'psychological abuse' than 'friendly introduction to game' :shifty:

MajorWesJanson
01-09-2012, 19:47
Possibly giving new players a 3rd ed. plastic Landspeeder to build before they could play counts more as 'psychological abuse' than 'friendly introduction to game' :shifty:

Well, it would be a nice introduction to the insanity of Chaos.

The Snapfits they can also do quite dynamic models with strange cuts that would not be possible on multi-part kits. Look at the Chosen. For being 2-3 parts, there is a lot of motion in there, more than many people get from multiparters.

JamesPayne
02-09-2012, 13:55
most new players would probably give up after failing to build a space marine a few times and put the box set away never to be seen again. also, less can be done wrong when it is snap fit

VenomBlood
02-09-2012, 14:15
Where's the poll!? :evilgrin: