PDA

View Full Version : Models left for 5 years in solvent

Murphey
02-09-2012, 07:50
A bit of a funny story for y'all. As I've posted before, I'm a fan of taking old, second hand models and converting them into something unique. Unfortunately, a lot of second hand models need some serious cleaning and deconstruction before they're usable for anything. People have a bizarre love of using too much glue/paint/primer. When dealing with plastic models, my preferred solvent is isopropyl alcohol, as it's a relatively mild solvent with minimal toxicity. (Pewter, I just use warmed acetone.)

Now, back when 5th edition came out, I lost interest in the hobby and stopped working on models completely. Prior to that, the (imo) terrible 4th ed Chaos Space Marine codex came out and killed any inclination I had to work on marine models. Unfortunately, I did have some marine models stewing in a jar of alcohol about the time that the 4th ed CSM codex dropped, and apathy kept those models in the jar a... tad longer than initially intended.

So, about 3 minutes ago, I just finished pulling out these models from a jar of isopropyl alcohol that they have been sitting in there for about 5 years. All of the models are plastic, the jar has been sealed this entire time, and the concentration of isopropyl alcohol that was used was 90%.

The models are, surprisingly, completely fine. The plastic integrity seems to have held, and they came apart relatively easily, with a few exceptions. Granted, they have been soaking in a highly flammable liquid for the past half decade, so they are currently sitting out on my balcony because I'm a little afraid that they might explode if they come close to an electric current or heat source, but I'm pretty impressed by isopropyl alcohol's ideal solvency for plastic models.

(P.S. If my apartment building burns down tonight, there's a possibility it may not be my fault. I live in Detroit, so it very well could be the Mad-Max-style roving bands of outlaws just having fun.)

Latro_
02-09-2012, 09:24
haha nice, you do realise this gives the models their own background of being stuck in the wrap sort of thing! heh

EvilFuzzyDoom
02-09-2012, 09:39
You are a winner, sir. Absolute winner. Also I am now looking up this "isopropyl alcohol" as a preferential solvent.

Beppo1234
02-09-2012, 10:53
You are a winner, sir. Absolute winner. Also I am now looking up this "isopropyl alcohol" as a preferential solvent.

dude... aka rubbing alcohol

Murphey
02-09-2012, 11:21
I would recommend warming the sealed jar (with models in the alcohol) in a warm water bath for extended periods of time. It helps break things up a bit better in my experience. Just make sure you release the seal now and again, so you don't build up too much pressure. Otherwise, you can get a face full of the stuff in gas-phase, and burn your sinuses pretty bad.

OgreBattle
02-09-2012, 12:32
get a camera and see if you can light one on fire with an electric current.

Or maybe it'll melt and stretch out in an organic enough way for you to make Silicon Life out of them.

RunepriestRidcully
02-09-2012, 14:27
Or nurgle models :P They would be impressive Legion of the Damned models, just place them on the table and FWOOSH just hope the table is not flammable :P

Senbei
02-09-2012, 14:55
dude... aka rubbing alcohol

aka Surgical Spirit, to those of us in the UK. It evaporates pretty quickly, so a few days outside might be enough. >_>

Bunnahabhain
02-09-2012, 15:17
I've used the stuff ( at 100%) industrially before. It evaporates in a few minutes from tissues, even on a cold day. I can't imagine that solid plastic models have absorbed of it than tissues.

It was quite fun, with 10 people going through a couple of litres each, daily, and knowing all of it is evaporating into the air you're breathing.....

Murphey
02-09-2012, 17:00
It was quite fun, with 10 people going through a couple of litres each, daily, and knowing all of it is evaporating into the air you're breathing.....

Yeah, I had a similar experience with concentrated acetic acid. (active ingredient in vinegar) We used it to disinfect anthrax spores from clean rooms, but man did that stuff burn your lungs. It took me about a year after that job before I was able to eat vinegary foods without getting memory-induced nasal burn.

Haunter!
02-09-2012, 17:42
(P.S. If my apartment building burns down tonight, there's a possibility it may not be my fault. I live in Detroit, so it very well could be the Mad-Max-style roving bands of outlaws just having fun.)

Don't worry, Robocop will sort them out.

GMillar
02-09-2012, 20:54
Same stuff I use to clean my bong.

PANZERBUNNY
02-09-2012, 21:24
Light one up and see.

Mauler
04-09-2012, 15:19
Or nurgle models :P They would be impressive Legion of the Damned models, just place them on the table and FWOOSH just hope the table is not flammable :P

LMAO This is brilliant.

Ace Rimmer
04-09-2012, 16:09
Isopropyl alcohol is also known as Propan-2-ol or 2-propanol, incase you're shopping around.

I bring waste solvent home from work after it's been used to clean up parts from LC-MS systems.
Access to reasonable quantites of IPA, Methanol, DCM etc.. has it's uses :)