PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Tau thread - Battlesuits Ho!

ArcticWolf
02-09-2012, 08:21
Well, my vow of "Not another 40K army" was crushed by the kind words of a friend.... "But, they're Xenos, and you don't have any Xenos". Damn. I'm now in possession of a Tau army. To be afair it was a steal and I only pait 135 for 600 worth of minis, and I've fallen in love with them.

At the moment I have:

30 Kroot
20 Kroot Hounds
1 Krootox
30 Fire Warriors
4 Devilvish/tank with railgun/ion cannon (All interchangable)
1 Skyray missile tank
1 Commander
14 Battlesuits (Mix of broadsides and regular Battlesuits.

I've spent the last two days cutting, gluing, sanding, filing and getting frustrated (And that's just my fingers!), and now have the vast majority assembled.

I'll be taking it easy this time, painting one battlesuit at a time, and they will all be painted differently as I think they should all be characters. I will be drawing great inspiration from Legacy40K's prototype Tau.

After a visit to my local wargaming club today, I'll end up having even more. I'll post some pics up soon.

ArcticWolf
02-09-2012, 18:04
Well, Here's my first Tau list, let me know what you think!

1800 Pts - Tau Empire Roster

HQ: Commander Shas'el (3#, 261 pts)
. . 1 Commander Shas'el, 261 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Plasma Rifle; Shield Generator; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Independent Character; Warlord)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack); Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Twin Linked Fusion Blaster; Targeting Array)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Infantry (Jetpack); Failsafe Detonator; Fusion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array)

This guy is 25 points cheaper than the other HQ option, and can be given the same stat line with a 10 point piece of wargear. I don't understand why you would pay an extra 15 points for 1 more leadership point. These guys are actually designed for getting relatively close, using the fusion blasters against tanks, and then jumping away with their assault move. (May even Deep strike them! Shock Horror!). And the Failsafe detonator is there in case they get caught in Assault, which they might do, being so close.

Troops: Fire Warrior (10#, 100 pts)
. . 10 Fire Warrior, 100 pts (Infantry; Pulse Rifle x10)

Standard infantry, no upgrades, they are there for sitting on my objectives (If there are any), and going to ground constantly to just survive the game

Troops: Kroot Carnivore Squad (22#, 142 pts)
. . 10 Kroot Carnivore Squad, 142 pts (Infantry; Kroot Rifle x10; Fieldcraft; Infiltrate)
. . . . 12 Kroot Hounds

The only combat squad in the army. Maybe used as a counterattack unit, but probably infiltrated in for a turn two charge against somethign squishy. The Kroot go at the front to die first and save the hounds, protecting them so they can get into combat.

Fast Attack: Pathfinder (9#, 157 pts)
. . 6 Pathfinder, 157 pts (Infantry; Markerlight x6; Pulse Carbine x6; Scout)
. . . . 1 Devilfish (Vehicle (Skimmer, Tank, Transport); 12 model capacity; Burst Cannon; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Disruption Pod; Jink)
. . . . . . 2 Gun Drones (Automatic Unit Type; Twin Linked Pulse Carbines)

6 Markerlights. Why not. Markerlights are awesome. Basic transport because you have to take one with them. Possible used for ramming or just aggressive parking.

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 176 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 176 pts (Infantry (Jetpack); Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Blacksun Filter; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Night Vision)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Plasma Rifle; Blacksun Filter; Night Vision)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Plasma Rifle; Blacksun Filter; Night Vision)

Anti vehicle/heavy infantry Battlesuit unit.

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 128 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 128 pts (Infantry (Jetpack); Burst Cannon; Missile Pod; Blacksun Filter; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Night Vision)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Burst Cannon; Blacksun Filter; Night Vision)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Burst Cannon; Blacksun Filter; Night Vision)

Thought I better put in some higher firepower suits if I face a more numerous enemy such as Guard, Nids etc.

. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 176 pts (Infantry (Jetpack); Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Blacksun Filter; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Night Vision)

Another AT/Anti heavy infantry unit.

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit (3#, 219 pts)
. . 1 Broadside Battlesuit, 219 pts (Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Acute Senses; Night Vision)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit (Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Acute Senses; Night Vision)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit (Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Acute Senses; Night Vision)

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship (1#, 170 pts)
. . 1 Hammerhead Gunship, 170 pts (Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Tank); Railgun; Landing Gear; Targeting Array; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Disruption Pod; Jink; Night Vision)

. . 1 Hammerhead Gunship, 170 pts (Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Tank); Railgun; Landing Gear; Targeting Array; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Disruption Pod; Jink; Night Vision)

Railguns are awesome. Why wouldn't you?! Smart missiles are fun because they are relatively hard hitting, and good for firing when you need to stay hidden.

Everything in the army has Blacksun Filters, meaning they ignore Night Fighting, which is handy seen as how every game is now guaranteed to have night fighting in it.

So, what do you think?

ArcticWolf
02-09-2012, 19:28
Well, Here's my commander, primed and ready to be painted. Still struggling with thinking up a colour scheme. Possibly Blue white and red, Definitely white and one other colour. Anyway, let me know what you think!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/wolfy175/Wargaming%20Stuff/Tau/IMG_0106.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/wolfy175/Wargaming%20Stuff/Tau/IMG_0108.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/wolfy175/Wargaming%20Stuff/Tau/IMG_0107.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/wolfy175/Wargaming%20Stuff/Tau/IMG_0105.jpg

harlekin
02-09-2012, 21:02
I'd like to see him with a dark blue... and white of course :D
And go for painting individually - that's at least my method to paint Nids increasing in size from tyranidwarriors on. But it takes ages!

Me Being no expert in Tau, but why doesn't the Shas'el have a second weapon - I think O'Shova's blade is the commander's signature, isn't it?
The armywide black-sunfilter equipment is characterfull if not effective(?).

ArcticWolf
02-09-2012, 21:24
I'd like to see him with a dark blue... and white of course :D
And go for painting individually - that's at least my method to paint Nids increasing in size from tyranidwarriors on. But it takes ages!

I'm going to be painting the battlesuits individually, which means I can do them all slightly differently, and put a lot of effort into each one. The fire warriors etc will be done singular, though! (I dont have that much patience!

Me Being no expert in Tau, but why doesn't the Shas'el have a second weapon - I think O'Shova's blade is the commander's signature, isn't it?
The armywide black-sunfilter equipment is characterfull if not effective(?).

He does'nt have a secondary weapon because you have to take three options, and I have taken the Plasma cannon, Shield generator (4+ invun), and Targetting Array (+1BS). I could have taken one of the other out of wargear, and freed up a slot for another weapon, but for me that would be just too many points in the commander, who is essentially, just another battlesuit (Not like he will be tanking in combat or anything).

I don't know about the blade, it was just the weapon that was on the mdoel when I purchased it, and other than some posing and basing changes, I haven't really done much!

Blacksun filters will prove their worth (or not) after a few games. In 6th ed now, they are guaranteed to be useful on either the first, or potentially last three turns. Every scenario now has at least one turn of night fighting. Also, Fluff wise, their base of operations is a snow planet (similar to Valhalla), which has extremely high UV exposure, so the filters are needed.

Thanks for the comment!

MastaGeneral
02-09-2012, 23:23
This guy is 25 points cheaper than the other HQ option, and can be given the same stat line with a 10 point piece of wargear. I don't understand why you would pay an extra 15 points for 1 more leadership point. These guys are actually designed for getting relatively close, using the fusion blasters against tanks, and then jumping away with their assault move. (May even Deep strike them! Shock Horror!). And the Failsafe detonator is there in case they get caught in Assault, which they might do, being so close.

No. A Shas'o has a much better stat line than a Shas'el. An additional WS, BS, Wound, attack, and leadership count for a load of ****. People play their suits differently, so I won't comment on the other stuff, but there's a flat lie there.

Standard infantry, no upgrades, they are there for sitting on my objectives (If there are any), and going to ground constantly to just survive the game

You'd be surprised how people underestimate FW, so they tend to not shoot at/take them. They're good, and cheap. Try using more, if you feel like you've not enough infantry killer.

The only combat squad in the army. Maybe used as a counterattack unit, but probably infiltrated in for a turn two charge against somethign squishy. The Kroot go at the front to die first and save the hounds, protecting them so they can get into combat.

I personally detest kroot, and don't use them, and do fairly well. Try a few games where you don't use them and have the points to go to something else.

6 Markerlights. Why not. Markerlights are awesome. Basic transport because you have to take one with them. Possible used for ramming or just aggressive parking.

Eh. Some tau players love markerlights, some hate them. Try using them and try without.

Anti vehicle/heavy infantry Battlesuit unit.
Another AT/Anti heavy infantry unit.
I've found these work better if they all have PR/MP.

Thought I better put in some higher firepower suits if I face a more numerous enemy such as Guard, Nids etc.

In an army of Str 5, you take more? Take these out and use more Firewarriors.

Railguns are indeed awesome, though I would suggest doing two two-man groups of Broadsides, and a single Railhead, I tend to do better with it.

Everything having BSF is great. You no longer have to take a disruption pod if you're always moving your vehicle, for you get a free 5+. Flachette dischargers are great on any vehicle, and on the HH's, I'd put burst cannons, for if you couple them with the FD, you get an awesome moving wall of death.

So, what do you think? [/color][/QUOTE]

Overall, I think you're going to have some problems, but in the long run, if you don't give up on it, you'll do fine. Remember you're going to have lots of nay-sayers on Tau, because many people play it differently. Don't just sit and shoot, have moving elements that can react to the enemy. It takes lots of skill to win with this army, and be prepared to lose against any decent IG player.

ArcticWolf
03-09-2012, 07:37
Wow, I'll try and answer all your points individually, but please bear in mind that this was my first ever look at a Tau book....

No. A Shas'o has a much better stat line than a Shas'el. An additional WS, BS, Wound, attack, and leadership count for a load of ****. People play their suits differently, so I won't comment on the other stuff, but there's a flat lie there.

Okay, I'll admit for some reason I read the entire stat line wrong. I have no idea why, but on your advice I've now changed my HQ option to be the following:

HQ: Commander Shas'o (3#, 263 pts)
. . 1 Commander Shas'o, 263 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Flamer; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Plasma Rifle; Shield Generator; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Independent Character; Warlord)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Infantry (Jetpack); Fusion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Blacksun Filter; Night Vision)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Infantry (Jetpack); Failsafe Detonator; Twin Linked Fusion Blaster; Blacksun Filter; Night Vision)

Still going to try a few games of getting up close with them, I'll see how it goes. I'm contemplating dropping the failsafe detonator and putting Vectored retro-thrusters on them in order to mean they can run away if they get assaulted.

You'd be surprised how people underestimate FW, so they tend to not shoot at/take them. They're good, and cheap. Try using more, if you feel like you've not enough infantry killer.

I personally detest kroot, and don't use them, and do fairly well. Try a few games where you don't use them and have the points to go to something else.

Eh. Some tau players love markerlights, some hate them. Try using them and try without.

I appreciate that FW are good, but I simply wanted to try a lot of things out in the book (what with this being my first time really playing with or against them, and thus thought I'd stick a couple of objective grabbers in there, and max out on suits. Mainly because I love the models.

Kroot are the same as Markerlights, some Tau players swear by them, others hate them. Both these items I'm going to experiment with, using this list to begin with because they are the models I have available. If I find I'm one of those who hate them, then I will remove them, and probably add more FW, or Perhaps even another HQ - if so I would make the HQ without the warlord the tank hunting unit, and keep my Warlord safely to the rear. Also, Kroot can jump on something on turn two, hopefully kill it (if its squishy enough), and get me the first blood kill point if my tanks/railguns fail to do so.

I've found these work better if they all have PR/MP.

In an army of Str 5, you take more? Take these out and use more Firewarriors.

Railguns are indeed awesome, though I would suggest doing two two-man groups of Broadsides, and a single Railhead, I tend to do better with it.

Again, I'm somewhat limited by the collection of models I have - at the price I paid for them, I can't argue. So for now, I'll be keeping these list components as they are, and seeing how it goes.

Everything having BSF is great. You no longer have to take a disruption pod if you're always moving your vehicle, for you get a free 5+. Flachette dischargers are great on any vehicle, and on the HH's, I'd put burst cannons, for if you couple them with the FD, you get an awesome moving wall of death.

I don't doubt you're right, but why do they get a 5+ cover if they simply move. I've presumed you were correct and removed the disruption pods and added flechette dischargers as you suggested.

Remember you're going to have lots of nay-sayers on Tau, because many people play it differently. Don't just sit and shoot, have moving elements that can react to the enemy. It takes lots of skill to win with this army, and be prepared to lose against any decent IG player.

One of the great things about the older rulebooks is that there are a huge variety of different play styles and armies that are covered and can still be quite fun to play. I don't intend to be winning tournaments with this army, but simply having fun, and some of my choices were chosen from a model availability point of view, and others a modelling point of view, with a select few a stats point of view. Thanks for the input, it's really helped.

Should have some of the colours on the commander finished today, going with a dark blue/white, with the odd hint of red.

MastaGeneral
03-09-2012, 15:54
Jink. If a skimmer moves, it gets a 5+ jink save.
If you go flat out, you'd get a 4+, but then you lose the ability to shoot.

Yeah, I try my best to help Tau players.

Asi the Red
06-09-2012, 07:29
Love looking through Tau logs, will follow along.

Also, it's worth knowing that you only need one Blacksun per squad.
Per Night Vision: "A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule ignores the effects of Night Fighting."
Per Tau FAQ: "A model equipped with a blacksun filter has the Night Vision special rule."

ArcticWolf
06-09-2012, 09:52
Jink. If a skimmer moves, it gets a 5+ jink save.
If you go flat out, you'd get a 4+, but then you lose the ability to shoot.

Yeah, I try my best to help Tau players.

Of course they do! My bad, good job I've removed the disruption pods then!

Also, it's worth knowing that you only need one Blacksun per squad.

Good point. I'm contemplating keeping them though for two reasons. One is its quite fluffy, the other is that with only 3 suits per squad, one of them is almost guaranteed to die by the end of the game, and it could potentially be the one with the blacksun filter, meaning they won't have Night Vision for the end of game night fighting phase.

What do you guys think?

I managed to get two layers of blue on my commander before it was decided we were heading to the coast on monday, then we did the same on Tuesday, so haven't got much done. Depending on what happens, might have some of the base colours and washes completed by this evening, in that case I'll post them up.

Thanks for the C&C!

Ralph.

ArcticWolf
06-09-2012, 13:02
Re-done the list including all the advice etc I've got. Mainly "Kroot are crap don't take them". Although, I havent actually gained any models for the loss of 20 Kroot/hounds, all models (except FW) are now BS4, and each unit still has a Blacksun Filter in there. Had to reduce the number of pathfinders to 5 and add in photon grenades just to make up the points (I can either be 4 points over with 6 pathfinders, or 6 under with 5)

HQ: Commander Shas'o (3#, 277 pts)
. . 1 Commander Shas'o, 277 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Flamer; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Plasma Rifle; Shield Generator; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Independent Character; Warlord)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Infantry (Jetpack); Fusion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Infantry (Jetpack); Failsafe Detonator; Twin Linked Fusion Blaster; Targeting Array)

Fast Attack: Pathfinder (8#, 155 pts)
. . 5 Pathfinder, 155 pts (Infantry; Photon Grenade; Markerlight x5; Pulse Carbine x5; Scout)
. . . . 1 Devilfish (Vehicle (Skimmer, Tank, Transport); 12 model capacity; Burst Cannon; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Flechette Discharger; Jink)

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 205 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 205 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Team Leader)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array)

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 157 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 157 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Burst Cannon; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Missile Pod; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Team Leader)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Burst Cannon; Targeting Array)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Infantry (Jetpack); Twin Linked Burst Cannon; Targeting Array)

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 205 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 205 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Team Leader)

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit (3#, 248 pts)
. . 1 Broadside Battlesuit, 248 pts (Night Vision; Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Team Leader)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit (Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Targeting Array; Acute Senses)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit (Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Targeting Array; Acute Senses)

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Hammerhead Gunship, 175 pts (Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Tank); Railgun; Landing Gear; Targeting Array; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Flechette Discharger; Jink; Night Vision)

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Hammerhead Gunship, 175 pts (Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Tank); Railgun; Landing Gear; Targeting Array; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter; Flechette Discharger; Jink; Night Vision)

Let me know what you think!

ArcticWolf
09-09-2012, 11:47
Changed the list yet again due to the new FAQ. Target lock is back in, meaning all my broadsides and my Battlesuit sqaud leaders can now target a different enemy compared to the rest of the unit (That broadside unit now has the potential to take out 3 land raiders a turn). Disruption pods now grant the shrouded special rule, meaning all my tanks will gain a 3+ basic cover save if they move. I added these to the Hammerheads. The Devilfish retained the fleschette dischargers as it is more liekly to be assaulted while aggressively parking do deny LoS or movement ability. With the extra points, I've been able to bump the Pathfinder squad back up to its original headcount, and I'm now bang on the 1800 point mark.

HQ: Commander Shas'o (3#, 277 pts)
. . 1 Commander Shas'o, 277 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Flamer; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Plasma Rifle; Shield Generator; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Independent Character; Warlord)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Infantry (Jetpack); Fusion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array)
. . . . 1 Crisis Bodyguard (Infantry (Jetpack); Failsafe Detonator; Twin Linked Fusion Blaster; Targeting Array)

Fast Attack: Pathfinder (9#, 168 pts)
. . 6 Pathfinder, 168 pts (Infantry; Photon Grenade; Markerlight x6; Pulse Carbine x6; Scout)
. . . . 1 Devilfish (Vehicle (Skimmer, Tank, Transport); 12 model capacity; Burst Cannon; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Flechette Discharger; Jink)

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 210 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 210 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Hard-wired Target Lock; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Team Leader)

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 162 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 162 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Burst Cannon; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Hard-wired Target Lock; Missile Pod; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Team Leader)

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (3#, 210 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 210 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Jetpack, Character); Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Hard-wired Target Lock; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Team Leader)

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit (3#, 233 pts)
. . 1 Broadside Battlesuit, 233 pts (Night Vision; Infantry (Character); Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Blacksun Filter; Target Lock; Acute Senses; Team Leader)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit (Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Target Lock; Acute Senses)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit (Infantry; Twin Linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Target Lock; Acute Senses)