PDA

View Full Version : Army specifics and information sought after

Edelweiss
03-09-2012, 06:50
Hello all, I am Edelweiss. I am having a tough time deciding between two armies, as both armies have appealing tactics and strategies to me I've decided to ask you fine folks for some information. I am new to this to an extent (at least modeling and table top) but I am knowledgeable in the way armies conduct war. But I am rambling and must move on. The armies I've considered are the Death Korps of Krieg (which I am leaning towards), and the Tau Empire. Both of these armies draw my interest in these ways:

Tau- the mobility they embody, as well as their knowledge of advanced technology. Their weapons are by far the best for ranged target hunting, which is very attractive. I like the idea of being able to reach out and touch somebody. Also from the few things I've read they seem to be fairly good at moving around to get good setup to use those long range capabilities. Not only all this but their philosophy appeals to me also. The idea of the greater good, fighting for an end to brutishness intolerance and the ridiculous age of war they find them selves in. (In short, I could definitely go on)

Death Korps of Krieg- Their tactics rely heavily on the King (Artillery) and Queen (Infantry) of battle system, made famous in The Great War (WWI). They seem quite viable as a Blitzkrieg-ish type of army also, but I'm new at this I could be wrong. Also the story of this army, as well as their appearance, is unbelievably fascinating to me. I was boarder line obsessed with learning about the events and battles of WWI and WWII, so to have a futuristic steam punkish style German army of my own makes my inner nerd rage. (Could definitely go on)

So yes this is my position and I would really appreciated some feed back. I get some answers I want by just searching but not exactly what I would want to know. so I figure come to the grape vine. And please no "bashing" of my choices a I know the Tau are pretty hated in general, and most people apparently hate Imperial Armour rules that I find immensely intriguing. I want as many pros and cons you could think of, as well as proven battle techniques that are effective against certain armies, or certain styled armies rather. And their weaknesses and ways of countering them.

In closing, thank you in advance and I await your knowledge and experience.

P.S. Tallarn Desert Raiders look interesting as well, but seem to be lacking in variety, same as Elysian Drop Troops (who also peak my curiosity).

Firaxin
03-09-2012, 07:45
Hello all, I am Edelweiss.
Welcome to Warseer and 40k, Edelweiss.

I am knowledgeable in the way armies conduct war
Before you go and spend all your money, please note that 40k is not a realistic military sim, nor balanced to the level of chess. Crazy, zany, unpredictable and outrageous things will happen over the course of your games. :angel:

Tau- the mobility they embody, as well as their knowledge of advanced technology. Their weapons are by far the best for ranged target hunting, which is very attractive. I like the idea of being able to reach out and touch somebody. Also from the few things I've read they seem to be fairly good at moving around to get good setup to use those long range capabilities. Not only all this but their philosophy appeals to me also. The idea of the greater good, fighting for an end to brutishness intolerance and the ridiculous age of war they find them selves in.
It's good that you like their background and 'style', such things are the most common reason for anyone to pick up an army. Note that while they appear high-tech, they're actually the least technologically advanced of all the factions. Their front-line troops simply get better gear than a number of other factions because their armies are very small and their supply lines are very short.

There's not much I can tell you from a gameplay perspective. I have to warn you that at the moment they don't really play like the way you'd think they play. At present they're really more of a short-medium ranged army with an emphasis on fire-and-run away! tactics. Their powerful long-range weaponry is actually rather slow and cumbersome (Broadside Battlesuits literally have the Slow and Purposeful special rule). If you want a long-range blasty army, the Imperial Guard (including Death Korps of Krieg) is (and always has been) best at that.

That all being said, however, the Tau are due for a new codex in the near future (early next year, I'm told), so their play style may change significantly then (which is why I'm reluctant to go in-depth about their gameplay). Might be best to wait and see.

Death Korps of Krieg- Their tactics rely heavily on the King (Artillery) and Queen (Infantry) of battle system, made famous in The Great War (WWI). They seem quite viable as a Blitzkrieg-ish type of army also, but I'm new at this I could be wrong. Also the story of this army, as well as their appearance, is unbelievably fascinating to me. I was boarder line obsessed with learning about the events and battles of WWI and WWII, so to have a futuristic steam punkish style German army of my own makes my inner nerd rage.
Again, it's great that you love their look and their background. I have to warn you that they are a Forgeworld army though. Not because people hate Imperial Armor rules (not sure where you get that), but because Forgeworld stuff can be prohibitively expensive. Even more so for a Death Korps of Krieg army with all those models you'll have to buy. Though if the Imperial Armor rules are a problem, you can always just use the regular Imperial Guard codex.

The Imperial Guard play style is very mutable and they're among the top-tier armies at present. I would recommend the DKoK over the Tau, especially since you already seem to be leaning towards DKoK (although again, when the new Tau codex comes out you might like that better).

I want... proven battle techniques that are effective against certain armies, or certain styled armies rather. And their weaknesses and ways of countering them.
You would be better off looking for that type of information in the Tactics sub-forum, as there are countless potential army builds and strategies these factions might choose from, and countless more (depending on the foe) ways they might be countered.

P.S. Tallarn Desert Raiders look interesting as well, but seem to be lacking in variety, same as Elysian Drop Troops (who also peak my curiosity).
wow, DKoK, Tallarn, Elysians... you must be rich, buddy! :p

Edelweiss
03-09-2012, 08:26
Thank you for the warm welcoming.

"Before you go and spend all your money, please note that 40k is not a realistic military sim, nor balanced to the level of chess. Crazy, zany, unpredictable and outrageous things will happen over the course of your games."
Then they're more like real armies then you think! I've noticed that chance has a heavy hand in this game.

"Not because people hate Imperial Armor rules (not sure where you get that)"
I heard about people not allowing the rules in tournaments.

"You would be better off looking for that type of information in the Tactics sub-forum, as there are countless potential army builds and strategies these factions might choose from, and countless more (depending on the foe) ways they might be countered."
Thank you once again, as tactics will be high among the deciding factors.

"wow, DKoK, Tallarn, Elysians... you must be rich, buddy! :p"
Haha, I wish man. My paycheck is mediocre at best. I plan on just collecting and modeling for a while, while I build up, and study the other armies to get a full grasp on everything. I am a very patient an methodical man. Your information has been most appreciated.

Charistoph
03-09-2012, 08:43
"Not because people hate Imperial Armor rules (not sure where you get that)"
I heard about people not allowing the rules in tournaments.

Some do, some don't. Apparently, GW's opinion is officially changing back in Nottingham, but we'll have to see how their tournaments handle them. But your local group is the best one to ask on this.

"wow, DKoK, Tallarn, Elysians... you must be rich, buddy! :p"
Haha, I wish man. My paycheck is mediocre at best. I plan on just collecting and modeling for a while, while I build up, and study the other armies to get a full grasp on everything. I am a very patient an methodical man. Your information has been most appreciated.

Then might I make an old Miller Lite suggestion, "Why not both?" This brand new Edition of Warhammer 40K has a very interesting feature, you can ally some other armies with your own! And both Imperial Guard and Tau can ally on a certain level with anyone but Tyranids (including each other).

So my suggestion would be to collect either:

1 Imperial Guard Battleforce and 1 Tau Battleforce
The nearest equivalent of above:
1 Commisar
2 IG Troop Boxes (your pick)
1 Crisis Suit + Crisis Suit Commander Upgrade Sprue
1 Fire Warrior box and 1-2 Kroot Carnivore boxes

This starts you out with a very beginner army that can be built to Ally either IG or Tau. Once you have that down, you should also know which you would prefer and continue expanding in that route. Also, the next Tau codex will hopefully be out and help you gain a better perspective on how that army will be built.

Kakapo42
03-09-2012, 08:45
Hello all, I am Edelweiss. I am having a tough time deciding between two armies, as both armies have appealing tactics and strategies to me I've decided to ask you fine folks for some information. I am new to this to an extent (at least modeling and table top) but I am knowledgeable in the way armies conduct war. But I am rambling and must move on. The armies I've considered are the Death Korps of Krieg (which I am leaning towards), and the Tau Empire. Both of these armies draw my interest in these ways:

Tau- the mobility they embody, as well as their knowledge of advanced technology. Their weapons are by far the best for ranged target hunting, which is very attractive. I like the idea of being able to reach out and touch somebody. Also from the few things I've read they seem to be fairly good at moving around to get good setup to use those long range capabilities. Not only all this but their philosophy appeals to me also. The idea of the greater good, fighting for an end to brutishness intolerance and the ridiculous age of war they find them selves in. (In short, I could definitely go on)

Death Korps of Krieg- Their tactics rely heavily on the King (Artillery) and Queen (Infantry) of battle system, made famous in The Great War (WWI). They seem quite viable as a Blitzkrieg-ish type of army also, but I'm new at this I could be wrong. Also the story of this army, as well as their appearance, is unbelievably fascinating to me. I was boarder line obsessed with learning about the events and battles of WWI and WWII, so to have a futuristic steam punkish style German army of my own makes my inner nerd rage. (Could definitely go on)

So yes this is my position and I would really appreciated some feed back. I get some answers I want by just searching but not exactly what I would want to know. so I figure come to the grape vine. And please no "bashing" of my choices a I know the Tau are pretty hated in general, and most people apparently hate Imperial Armour rules that I find immensely intriguing. I want as many pros and cons you could think of, as well as proven battle techniques that are effective against certain armies, or certain styled armies rather. And their weaknesses and ways of countering them.

In closing, thank you in advance and I await your knowledge and experience.

Welcome aboard.

From a different perspective, I'd highly recommend you go with the Tau (though as they are my favourite faction, I am slightly biased), especially if you like the aesthetic and background. They are not considered terribly powerful currently, but there is hope of a new codex soon, and in the meantime they can hold their own most of the time.

Their play style, as you say, is all about mobility, zipping around the board and taking the enemy apart piece by piece. While their Broadsides are relatively slow (but durable, and with massive firepower), Hammerhead and Skyray gunships are much speedier. Something that has also helped are the Forgeworld updates, and you can now bolster territory with sentry turrets and sensor towers, and field Barracuda and Remora aircraft (in fast attack no less).

Note that while they appear high-tech, they're actually the least technologically advanced of all the factions. Their front-line troops simply get better gear than a number of other factions because their armies are very small and their supply lines are very short.

Debatable. I personally am of the belief that they are one of the top three high-tech races (along with the Eldar and Necrons), and above the Imperium. But that is for another time and place.

From what I gather the Death Korps are quite a static army, relying on smashing the enemy apart with artillery barrages before sending in waves of foot-mobile infantry to mop up.

Of course, you could always field Tau with Death Korps allies... (EDIT: Ninja'd by Charistoph)

Murphey
03-09-2012, 09:13
I'll weigh in as a Tau player. The Tau are a very fun army to play if you get it down right. The customization of the battlesuits allows for some really nice personalized army builds (although the models by themselves leave a bit to be desired). They have some of the longest range weapons in the game; their rail guns have a 72" range, their ion cannons are 60", etc. Their basic infantry also have a big range and power advantage when it comes to shooting. The range of their weapons is 6 inches farther than other standard infantry weapons, and higher strength than Space Marine bolters.

With their current codex, they have some pretty solid army synergy with themselves. They are able to utilize marker lights to reduce the enemy's cover saves, increase their own ballistic skill, as well as a few other nifty effects. And, on top of it all, their battlesuits are very good at popping out from behind full cover, shooting the enemy, and then hoping back out of line of sight. This gives them a pretty heavy tactical flexibility that a lot of armies and players can't compensate for very well.

However, at current the Tau do suffer from a lot of shortcomings due to their codex being one of, if not the, oldest currently in use. Among these are:

Unit's point costs are, on average, overpriced compared to other armies. This means your power per point ratio is a lot less advantageous than other armies.

A general lack of options for their troops. When the current Tau codex was made, there was a completely different set of criteria for winning a game. The current edition puts an immense emphasis on troops. The Tau codex simply does not have as versatile, powerful, or point-efficient troops as many other armies. Their troops are still extremely solid, but you overpay for them, and you don't have the options for good anti-tank or diverse weapons for them.

Less unit options than other armies. The Tau codex does not have a very large selection of units, and many of the units they do possess have lost effectiveness to the point of being virtually unplayable. This results in a very low 'cap' on the different army builds you could conceivably get out of the Tau codex and still be competitive, which can be very restraining later in the hobby.

And finally, the game simply does not allow the Tau to be played like the fluff represents. The game is, largely, based on securing static objectives. The Tau background clearly states that they don't believe in static objectives or land wars. So, in the current 6th edition environment, the Tau are more or less shackled to an objective system that really doesn't feel in line with their fluff.

Understand that I do really enjoy playing my Tau, and for an agile mind, they are a great army to play. And I would definitely recommend them as an army to play, but just be aware that you may be fighting an uphill battle while playing them. It's certainly not impossible to win with them, I have won every 6th ed. battle I've played with them, but just more of a challenge.

Oh, one thing you should be aware of as well, is that they are rumored to be getting a new codex early next year, so that might be something that helps you decide.

Hope I've helped, sorry if this is a pretty hefty post.

mrtn
03-09-2012, 09:48
It's not a good idea to use white text on a forum where one of the only two forum skin options has a white background.

Apart from that, welcome to Warseer. ;)

Edelweiss
03-09-2012, 09:55
Hope I've helped, sorry if this is a pretty hefty post.
Not at all, your information has been extremely helpful. And the heftier the better I say, one of the things that intrigues me about 40k is the immense amount of information. I'm getting into the back stories, origins, agendas, and philosophies (fluff I believe?) of some factions. But it is really about the performance, and tactics of them that has me really hooked. Also the high level of customization, which allow for individuality, AND personality too. The jargon will come later. But yes, thank you again my friend for the information.

TheBearminator
03-09-2012, 10:27
An obvious thing. Death korps are an all resin army which means you'll probably need to spend more time assembling models (I pin and green stuff most of my own), besides you'll probably have to paint a lot more as they're so cheap (if you don't play veterans).

I love fluff. But when it comes to the death korps it didn't really suit me. Seems to be most about inconsiderately sacrificing soldiers for a planet in ashes. I've already played this unselfish sacrifice army, they were called space marines. I would probably sit much better with the tau fluff. So I invented my own background for my force. I wanted more of a humane high tech elite army. Decided to go with a helghast look on them (brown coats, eyes glowing bright orange) and play them as veterans with lots of doctrines (stealth, armour, defensive grenades, melta bombs, that kind of stuff). Will probably never be a competitive army, but it's definitely my style.

Firaxin
03-09-2012, 10:41
I'll second the Allies idea.

Debatable. I personally am of the belief that they are one of the top three high-tech races (along with the Eldar and Necrons), and above the Imperium. But that is for another time and place.
*grumble*youshouldreadmytreatise*grumble*

They have some of the longest range weapons in the game; their rail guns have a 72" range, their ion cannons are 60", etc. Their basic infantry also have a big range and power advantage when it comes to shooting. The range of their weapons is 6 inches farther than other standard infantry weapons, and higher strength than Space Marine bolters.
I'll reiterate for Edelweiss's benefit/warning; the vast majority of the Tau's mobile firepower lies in the short-to-medium (18-36") range. Other armies have access to a plethora of medium-to-long (36"+) range weapons on mobile vehicle/walker platforms. For Tau to live up to their fire-and-maneuver fluff, they have to engage the enemy at a much shorter range than other fire-and-maneuver armies do.

At ranges beyond 36" you're basically limited to Broadsides (slow and purposeful) or Hammerheads (which are expensive, you can only take up to 3, and they compete with Broadsides/Skyrays for the Heavy slot).

Bunnahabhain
03-09-2012, 11:08
If you like DKoK, try these...

http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/alien-suns/shock-troops-sci-fi-greatcoat-troopers

They're rather close in look, and cost something like 1/3rd or 1/4 the price. Plastic is also easier to work with.

The drawback is that GW won't let you use Non- GW models like these in store or their tournaments. If you're playing at a club, or non GW store/tournaments, then it's not an issue.

TheBearminator
04-09-2012, 15:46
Don't really know what in the tau range is plastic and what is metal/resin. As they are probably soon to be updated I would just go for the plastic models I like and see what happens to the rest.

Murphey
05-09-2012, 09:06
I'll reiterate for Edelweiss's benefit/warning; the vast majority of the Tau's mobile firepower lies in the short-to-medium (18-36") range. Other armies have access to a plethora of medium-to-long (36"+) range weapons on mobile vehicle/walker platforms. For Tau to live up to their fire-and-maneuver fluff, they have to engage the enemy at a much shorter range than other fire-and-maneuver armies do.

At ranges beyond 36" you're basically limited to Broadsides (slow and purposeful) or Hammerheads (which are expensive, you can only take up to 3, and they compete with Broadsides/Skyrays for the Heavy slot).

I'll definitely agree in regarding the majority of their firepower being a lot more limited than one would expect. Although I would like to correct something: Per troop choice, you can get 3 48" rapid fire weapons that are good str (specifically, on the Krootox), which does help out a ton vs. flyers.

But yes, the Tau do not out range people when it comes to distance in everything, and a lot of it is knowing where the sweet spot is.

DEADMARSH
05-09-2012, 15:21
Lots of good advice given here, I'll just throw out a couple of bits more...

Take it for what it's worth, but having been into 40k for about 8 years now, I notice the people who tend to enjoy the hobby long-term (as opposed to those who nerd rage when the new codex comes out) are more into the background ("fluff" is the colloquial term in 40k) and modelling/ painting aspects than the actual playing of the game. With that in mind, I'd suggest you go with the army whose models appeal to you the most on a purely aesthetic level. If down the road you decide to really get into the tournament scene or whatever, you'll probably want to start a "flavor of the month" type power army that's fully optimized anyway, but I've always felt your first army should be an army that you play purely because you want to- not because you feel like you have to try and field something competitive or because people told you that you ought to.

As others have mentioned, the Tau are rumored to be receiving a new codex sometime early next year. Rumors are obviously nebulous by nature, but it is something to bear in mind. That being said however, if you like the look of the current models, refer back to my first point and don't even worry about it if GW resculpts a bunch of new stuff for the new codex (don't know if they are or not- just saying there's a possibility as always). Also, take it for what it's worth in terms of rules and relative codex strength. Usually, the newer the codex is, the better it works as it's more in line with the current ruleset, but as any Tyranid player will tell you, a new codex isn't always a good thing.

The Death Korps are an attractive looking army, but as other folks have mentioned, they're going to be expensive (moreso than normal 40k minis) because they're ForgeWorld. I'd also mention that if you're new to modelling and painting, if you're like most folks, you're going to mess up and even probably ruin a few models starting out, so starting off with a DKoK army from FW might not be the best idea. Of course, if you're an old hand at modelling, feel free to disregard this comment. Lastly, if you're concerned about running them as a tournament army, you could always just use the Imperial Guard codex for tournaments that don't allow the DKoK list. They might not match up exactly, but with a little work, I'm sure you could come up with a list that was legal for both books.

Welcome to the hobby and have fun!

Edelweiss
05-09-2012, 19:23
Lots of good advice given here, I'll just throw out a couple of bits more...

Take it for what it's worth, but having been into 40k for about 8 years now, I notice the people who tend to enjoy the hobby long-term (as opposed to those who nerd rage when the new codex comes out) are more into the background ("fluff" is the colloquial term in 40k) and modelling/ painting aspects than the actual playing of the game. With that in mind, I'd suggest you go with the army whose models appeal to you the most on a purely aesthetic level. If down the road you decide to really get into the tournament scene or whatever, you'll probably want to start a "flavor of the month" type power army that's fully optimized anyway, but I've always felt your first army should be an army that you play purely because you want to- not because you feel like you have to try and field something competitive or because people told you that you ought to.

As others have mentioned, the Tau are rumored to be receiving a new codex sometime early next year. Rumors are obviously nebulous by nature, but it is something to bear in mind. That being said however, if you like the look of the current models, refer back to my first point and don't even worry about it if GW resculpts a bunch of new stuff for the new codex (don't know if they are or not- just saying there's a possibility as always). Also, take it for what it's worth in terms of rules and relative codex strength. Usually, the newer the codex is, the better it works as it's more in line with the current ruleset, but as any Tyranid player will tell you, a new codex isn't always a good thing.

The Death Korps are an attractive looking army, but as other folks have mentioned, they're going to be expensive (moreso than normal 40k minis) because they're ForgeWorld. I'd also mention that if you're new to modelling and painting, if you're like most folks, you're going to mess up and even probably ruin a few models starting out, so starting off with a DKoK army from FW might not be the best idea. Of course, if you're an old hand at modelling, feel free to disregard this comment. Lastly, if you're concerned about running them as a tournament army, you could always just use the Imperial Guard codex for tournaments that don't allow the DKoK list. They might not match up exactly, but with a little work, I'm sure you could come up with a list that was legal for both books.

Welcome to the hobby and have fun!

Thank you for the info! I am leaning more towards the Tau as my first army because like you said, DKoK are DAMN expensive (pounds to dollars is not pretty). The new codex would be sweet, and hopefully some new model will come out with it. I do plan on just collecting for at least the first six or so months while I paint and what-not, as I'm a bit OCD and would never field an unpainted army. Plus I'm a noob :P but thank you guys again for the help and making me feel welcome in the perilous universe of 40K.

TheBearminator
05-09-2012, 22:06
Thank you for the info! I am leaning more towards the Tau as my first army because like you said, DKoK are DAMN expensive (pounds to dollars is not pretty). The new codex would be sweet, and hopefully some new model will come out with it. I do plan on just collecting for at least the first six or so months while I paint and what-not, as I'm a bit OCD and would never field an unpainted army. Plus I'm a noob :P but thank you guys again for the help and making me feel welcome in the perilous universe of 40K.

Dare I say welcome, even though I also joined this forum very recently? :)

Another sad thing about death korps, if it hasn't already been mentioned, is that you have to buy upgrade sprues for your most basic needs. Say you play your death korps with the Imperial Guard codex, and you want to field a unit of veterans with three plasma guns and a veteran sergeant with power weapon. Not a very exotic choice. But that's two upgrade sprues, about 22 before shipping. It's insane! Currently the swedish currency is stronger than in many years, but my wallet still cries like a baby every time I log in to forgeworld.

If forgeworld could just focus on the bits that are of importance to the game. Come on. At least give me a free choice of a single special weapon, I'd gladly live without two different sets of backpacks, holsters and everything else they send with their models.

DEADMARSH
06-09-2012, 04:53

Hey, no problem. I'm always looking to help out a new prospect. Despite the way some folks conduct themselves, new blood is the only way to keep this thing going.

Other general bits of new player advice I'm prone to hand out-

Use paints that are part of a "system." Doesn't necessarily have to be GW, it can be Vallejo or whatever floats your boat, but it's tough enough to learn how to paint trying to custom mix everything you need or trying to deal with non-miniatures paint. I would estimate I wasted a least a year messing around with cheap paint because everyone on the internet (at that time, and not on this site I would also add) said buying GW paint was stupid and a waste of money. I bought craft acrylics from Wal-Mart and well... they performed like craft acrylics from Wal-Mart.

I'd also suggest getting some "real" brushes. Again- not necessarily GW, preferably an assortment of several different sizes from different manufacturers to see what you like and what you don't. I suggest you get a flat drybrush and several of the regular tapered looking kind in different sizes. If you don't plan on doing vehicles anytime soon, don't buy anything too big.

Oh- there's another one. Using a primer or basecoat. Seems like everybody either picks white or black. Advantage to black is hard-to-reach areas like armpits and stuff remain in shadows anyway, so if you prime black, you don't really have to worry about it. It's also a nice undercoat for any metallic color. Priming in white works well for bright colors like reds, yellows, and the like. Personally I take the best of both worlds and prime grey. It's easier to build up bright spot colors, but you can also darken it easily.

Lastly, painting is a physical activity relying on muscle memory just like playing a sport. Unless you've already had time on a brush, you're going to suck at first. Don't give up! The more you practice, the better you'll get. Also, don't try and pull off advanced techniques at first. Yes, Non-Metal Metallic (NMM) looks brilliant when done right. No, you won't be able to right off the bat. Go with the basic method of primer, slightly darker than what you want to end up with basecoat, wash in a complimentary shade, layer the color you want to end up with, lightly drybrush in a color a step lighter than what you want to end up with, pick out final details. It works a treat, isn't that hard to learn, and can produce good results. You won't win any Golden Daemons, but you'll soon be good enough to impress random laypeople that don't hang out on CMON all day long.

Have fun!

TheBearminator
06-09-2012, 06:04
That's very good guidelines I would say. I think most people would say that vallejo are at least as good as GW colours with the exception of metallic colours. Personally I stick with vallejo (except metallic colours and black) as they're a tad cheaper and last forever. They come in small bottles instead of pots. Every time I buy GW paint it seems to dry out in the pots which kills my enthusiasm for the hobby quite efficiently. But there's nothing that says you can't buy a mix of the two brands and see which ones you like.

Good luck! :)

Brotheroracle
06-09-2012, 06:05
Well if you don't want the expense of resin but still want the trench warfare theme take a look at the Iron Warriors CSM Legion. They're spiffy.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Warriors

tezdal
06-09-2012, 06:16
I always thought of the Death Guard as the more WW1 ish style Chaos legion, spikey helmets, gas masks, and a reliance on the basic infantry-man.

TheBearminator
06-09-2012, 06:22
Yeah, what happened to gas masks after ww1? Is there any more efficient way to eradicate the puny human impression of a soldier than giving him a rubber mask with dark goggles?

DEADMARSH
06-09-2012, 14:07
Geneva Convention outlawed gases, didn't it?

Firaxin
06-09-2012, 19:09
Yeah, what happened to gas masks after ww1? Is there any more efficient way to eradicate the puny human impression of a soldier than giving him a rubber mask with dark goggles?
They're still around. US troops wore gas masks during the First Gulf War. Not everyone obeys the Geneva Convention...

Charistoph
06-09-2012, 20:03
They're still around. US troops wore gas masks during the First Gulf War. Not everyone obeys the Geneva Convention...

It helps if you sign it first. That convention was mostly European countries that existed before WW II. Many countries have come in to being since then... I believe that the UN tries to impose its strictures as 'international law', but I haven't really looked in to it.

A little back on topic. Tau tend to follow a more modern combat style than most armies.

TheBearminator
06-09-2012, 20:37
What?! Unethical warfare? Outrageous! How can they live with themselves? ;)

In another thread someone asked for models to use as child soldiers (ratlings). Where is that regulated? In the convention of rights of a child?