PDA

View Full Version : 750 Lizardmen, just starting out with them...

Armond
03-09-2012, 20:39
Scar Vet
-Halberd
-L. Armor
-Shield
-Dragonhelm
*I figure 4 attacks at S6 would do nicely and would prove to be a nice add in to the Saurus.

Skink Priest
-lvl 1
-Plaque of Tepok
*effectively a level 2 without paying the additional 20 points, of course losing one +1 bonus to dispel and casting

23 x Saurus Warriors
-Full Command
*Scary at this point level, 6-wide frontage, throwing out about 19 attacks at S4, yes please

10 x Skink Skirmishers
-Blow Pipes
*Screen and multiple shot poison attacks. Used to face off monsters and smaller units. May be good for reducing units to manageable size before hitting them with Saurus. Poison is a beautiful thing.

10 x Skink Skirmishers
-Shield
-Javelins
*Good for fighting war machine crews and other skirmishers. Poison again, good to assist with monsters as needed.

10 x Chameleon Skinks
*Nasty little guys, all around all-stars.

Gameplan: I figure overall just play adaptation on the deployment, having the scout unit(Chameleons) I should be able to counter most armies. My only real vice is something fast and heavy hitting. At this point level though, I expect to have had to sacrifice something.

Thoughts?

Kayosiv
04-09-2012, 07:01
Since the halberd on the scar-vet is 2 handed, he can't really use the shield that you've given him. Unless you're terribly worried about keeping his initiative 3, drop the halberd from a great weapon and lose the shield. Gain +1 strength and save 1 point while doing it. Alternatively, you could lose the shield and keep the halberd but buy him a goodluck stone for 5 points, giving him a single re-roll on a failed armor save. There's also the possibility to give him another weapon instead of the +1 strength.

You would benefit from a second unit that could actually do something in close combat. you could turn that shielded skirmisher unit into a unit of 16 ranked skinks, and depending on how many chameleon skinks you were willing to lose, you could maybe even fit a kroxigar in there. 11 Skinks with a kroxigar inside is a nice cheap unit with 2 ranks that offers some punch as well as the ability to break steadfast in these smaller games. Especially with some buffs from the lore of heavens, it should do quite nicely without reducing your overall shooting by too much, especially if you feel like you don't need the kroxigar in there.

Moss
04-09-2012, 15:01
I think you'd do better by swapping the priest for a salamander. I think the guaranteed flame attack from the salamander will be more useful than maybe getting iceshard off each turn. Plus, the -3 to AS is a good way to handle the knights and such that your skinks can't.

To compensate for the loss of your wizard, I would shave a few models off either the saurus or the chameleons. Use the points for the Ruby Ring on the scar-vet. It's a nice cheap way to get rid of ethereals that you would otherwise have a hard time with.

You should stick with your one, solid combat unit. I think the smaller skink unit that Kayosiv suggests is a very easy way for your opponent to grab VPs. Like you say, the saurus unit is downright scary in such a small game, and it will be hard to hurt. You have enough shooting (especially if you take my suggestion about the salamander) to encourage your opponent to engage it.

Armond
05-09-2012, 03:44
I like the idea of the Skrox unit idea/move towards. Eventually I would like to head that direction, having one unit of Skrox maybe 30 strong to get to a flank quickly or as a tarpit for a round or two. But I think I want to stick with the models that I currently own. My buddy wants to go 800, I guess he wanted a few extra magic items or something. Whatever, all good with me!

So I am doing this:

Scar Vet
-Halberd
-L. Armor
-Shield
-Dragonhelm
*I figure 4 attacks at S6 would do nicely and would prove to be a nice add in to the Saurus.

Skink Priest
-lvl 1
-Plaque of Tepok
*effectively a level 2 without paying the additional 20 points, of course losing one +1 bonus to dispel and casting

30 x Saurus Warriors
-Full Command
*Scary at this point level, 6-wide frontage, throwing out about 19 attacks at S4, yes please. Now with an extra rank from the previous list.

10 x Skink Skirmishers
-Blow Pipes
*Screen and multiple shot poison attacks. Used to face off monsters and smaller units. May be good for reducing units to manageable size before hitting them with Saurus. Poison is a beautiful thing.

10 x Skink Skirmishers
-Blow Pipes

10 x Skink Skirmishers
-Shield
-Javelins
*Good for fighting war machine crews and other skirmishers. Poison again, good to assist with monsters as needed.

I think my next goal is pick up a salamander or two, well convert them from the Cold Ones that the Dark Elves ride anyway! Thoughts?

Moss
06-09-2012, 16:25
I don't know how competetive it is to take 30 saurus in a 750pt game and I don't know if you even care, but I do know that it wouldn't be very much fun to play against.