PDA

View Full Version : Calvary Horde?

pimpallstars2003
07-09-2012, 13:21
Just need a quick verification. Am I correct in my reading that it takes 10 calvary models in the front rank to make a horde? And 6 for monstrous calvary?

Mr_Rose
07-09-2012, 13:23
Yes and yes. You may need to look in the errata for monstrous cavalry for confirmation of the 6-wide bit though.

dms505
07-09-2012, 13:26
Just curious but who has the cheapest cavalry worth ranking into a horde? Brets? O&G Pig Riders?

BigbyWolf
07-09-2012, 13:38
Just curious but who has the cheapest cavalry worth ranking into a horde? Brets? O&G Pig Riders?

Khorne Marauder Horsemen have a half-decent number of WS4, S4 attacks, they're ok in a horde, but your points are usually better invested elsewhere.

Just need a quick verification. Am I correct in my reading that it takes 10 calvary models in the front rank to make a horde? And 6 for monstrous calvary?

As a side note- Calvary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary)/ Cavalry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry). ;)

Artiee
07-09-2012, 13:47
btw You can't horde Brets cavalry. They have a old book that still has a unit size limit. (15 max). Plus Brets lose the lance rule when they are more than 3 models wide.

dms505
07-09-2012, 13:53
Yea but I think the extra attacks coming from the inside of the unit would be fairly close if not more than the bonus for the lance rule right?

Also for some reason I was thinking marauders were skirmishers?

Side Note: Are skirmishers allowed to have a horde formation since they don't get a rank bonus? I suppose technically losing the rank bonus in combat resolution wouldn't extend to not gaining a horde bonus unless there is another rule about that. Although some skirmishing units do still have the max model rule still.

BigbyWolf
07-09-2012, 14:17
Also for some reason I was thinking marauders were skirmishers?

They're not skirmishers- fast cavalry normally, but they lose that if given light armour and shields,

Artiee
07-09-2012, 14:21
dms505,
Yes, in the long run they would do more attacks over the combat. But you lose some of the lance benefits. Dual charging (charging 2 lance formations on one unit), Hiding the caster in the 2nd rank, having only 3 models count as a rank.

Yes, skirmishers would get a horde formation.

Mr_Rose
07-09-2012, 15:15
Side Note: Are skirmishers allowed to have a horde formation since they don't get a rank bonus? I suppose technically losing the rank bonus in combat resolution wouldn't extend to not gaining a horde bonus unless there is another rule about that. Although some skirmishing units do still have the max model rule still.

Skirmishers may not ever qualify as having Ranks for the purposes of combat bonuses and effects, but they are still a formation of ranks and files. Plus, the Horde formation doesn't care about Ranks or ranks, just files. Also, the Skirmishers rule on p.77 specifically states, under the Light Troops subheading, that skirmishers make supporting attacks normally.

Crube
07-09-2012, 15:19
Gobbo Wolf riders?

Or does Fast Cav negate hording

100 points a rank... not saying it'd be necessarily effective, but certainly cheap

T10
08-09-2012, 08:23
There are no rules that take away the unit's benefit of being in a horde formation.

The horde is not an ability: it is a formation.

Jezbot
10-09-2012, 06:43
Empire knights can sometimes be seen in horde formation. It costs a packet, but you end up with really hardy troops throwing out a decent number of high strength attacks.

There are no rules that take away the unit's benefit of being in a horde formation.

Maximum unit size does :)

If you're only allowed 15 guys you can't actually benefit from being in horde.

Tuttivillus
10-09-2012, 10:23
Empire knights can sometimes be seen in horde formation. It costs a packet, but you end up with really hardy troops throwing out a decent number of high strength attacks.

Yep, they do :)

Wesser
10-09-2012, 15:58
30 or so Empire knights with Stadard of discipline and Warrior Priest/Lector isnt uncommon.

I've had great success with it, if mainly due to the shock effect. It is so huge though that I generally get a number of accidental charges once wheeling is completed

T10
12-09-2012, 16:12
It is so huge though that I generally get a number of accidental charges once wheeling is completed
That should not be possible. You are only allowed to move into combat with an enemy unit you've declared a charge against. Any other units will block your path and are not legal targets to engage "accidentally".

What should typically happen is that you first select a target unit and figure out if you can reach it and (at least partially) "close the door" before contacting a second unit. If a second unit is in the way you can either ignore it and let it block you from "closing the door" (the first target will be obliged to do so since your unit cannot), or you can chsnge your mind and declare your charge against both units. This requires you to figure out a new "optimal contact" charge path.

Regardless of how many units you end up making your charge against, you'll have figured out exactly which those units are before your opponent begins declaring their charge reactions.

Blinder
12-09-2012, 16:49
Perhaps he just meant finding himself in the situation of needing to do that when it wasn't really what he wanted?

That's a *big* chunk of points to really take advantage of the formation though... seems like something cheaper stuff could get away with but Empire knights and such sound like they're just begging for an "or die" spell or a cannon/bolt down the side.