PDA

View Full Version : OOP Models, base sizes and Zombie Dragons.

kaulem
10-09-2012, 14:08
Here's the situation:

I've been playing warhammer for a very long time. My first army is Undead... now Vampire Counts. Most of my army is comprised of OOP miniatures, with newer minis added sporadically.

1) Is it OK to use an OOP Zombie dragon (I have the 1st gen one on a 40x40 base) to represent a Terrorgheist? (as the new terrorgheist and zombie dragons are practically the same model)

2) Is it required that I rebase my old Zombie dragon on the new HUGE zombie dragon base? (I have been told that I must by a tournament organizer but I find that my small dragon looks ridiculous on a 100mm/100mm base.)

Thanks.

Commodus Leitdorf
10-09-2012, 14:12
From my understanding the hard and fast rule I have always used (and as far as I know GW has said) is that you use the base it comes with.

That being said for large creatures like a Zombie Dragon the standard has always been 50x50 for the base.

But if anyone knows differently I'd happily change my stance on it.

theunwantedbeing
10-09-2012, 14:12
1. It wouldn't be unreasonable, it is a bit small though.
A slightly larger base would be more reasonable, ie 50x50mm.

2. No, but at least put it on a 50x50mm base, it sounds like you got the wrong size base with it initially.
Obviously you'll have to to use it in tournaments that require it.

Lord Zarkov
10-09-2012, 14:26
Since GW still sell Zach on Zombie Dragon (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat720003a&prodId=prod1160011) on a 50x50mm base I don't think anyone can really dispute one of those - especially given how silly the smaller older models would look on such a small base.

I agree with the others though that you should put it on a 50x50mm base though as that has been the minimum for big monsters since at least 6th Edition (40x40 being reserved for things roughly Ogre-sized or smaller).

kaulem
10-09-2012, 14:27
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, there have been three models of zombie dragons: The current plastic one, The Zacharias one and the first one that I have:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics12/img4872006b82659.jpg

It came with a 40m base.

Yes it's puny in today's standards, yes I'd like to upgrade it eventually, but it's painted and I love what I did with it. But, my last 3 opponents have raised it's size and base size as an issue. One went so far as saying it was practically cheating because it was easier to hide that dragon behing buildings and such.... :(

Lord Zarkov
10-09-2012, 14:31
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, there have been three models of zombie dragons: The current plastic one, The Zacharias one and the first one that I have:

It came with a 40m base.

Yes it's puny in today's standards, yes I'd like to upgrade it eventually, but it's painted and I love what I did with it. But, my last 3 opponents have raised it's size and base size as an issue. One went so far as saying it was practically cheating because it was easier to hide that dragon behing buildings and such.... :(

If you put in on a 50x50mm base you could just glue the bottom of the 40x40mm base onto the top of a 50x50mm base and paint around it - that way you don't have to strip of your old base and repaint but you now have a correct base size (which is important for attacks back etc) and it makes the dragon a bit taller which should help mollify some of your opponents LoS complaints.

Commodus Leitdorf
10-09-2012, 14:41
If you put in on a 50x50mm base you could just glue the bottom of the 40x40mm base onto the top of a 50x50mm base and paint around it - that way you don't have to strip of your old base and repaint but you now have a correct base size (which is important for attacks back etc) and it makes the dragon a bit taller which should help mollify some of your opponents LoS complaints.

This idea works, I had to do it with my Exalted Demon when they got rid of him as an option in the Warriors of Chaos book.

Mr_Rose
10-09-2012, 15:35
Thanks for the feedback.

It came with a 40m base.

Personally I'd use that as one of the other mounts available rather than bother rebasing it.

Crube
10-09-2012, 15:44
If a tournament requires it, then why not make a 'scenic' 100mm base with a 4mm slot in it that you can sit it in? Maybe magnetise it so it's stable? A couple of washers and a couple of magnets under the base and you'd be good to go...

Moss
10-09-2012, 18:51
Thanks for the feedback.

It came with a 40m base.

Is that the model that was in the 5th ed Undead book (I think they had it painted green)?

zoggin-eck
11-09-2012, 03:19

Four, there's the Tom Meier one, too :) (Quite small, I find it hard to justify it as a Wyvern in Storm of Magic)

Is that the model that was in the 5th ed Undead book (I think they had it painted green)?

Yep, but it was the 4th edition "Undead" book. They painted a bone version later on for their darker 5th edition studio army (but the colourful army was still in 5th edition game rulebooks) which made me notice that it was indeed a nice model, having hated the green version.

The Clairvoyant
11-09-2012, 09:39
I'm a bit in the middle on this.
I too am an old Undead player. I'd have no problem with the old dragon on its 40mm base as that was what it came with, to represent a zombie dragon. You could add a 50mm base underneath if you want, but i wouldn't be bothered by it. I have various monsters on 40mm bases too.
But to call it a terrorgheist I'd be less happy about as the only version of a terrorgheist is on the 150x100mm base. I'd therefore expect you to have a large base to hand for when its needed (or just a cut out piece of card will do!).

That all said, this is the internet where i can be annoying like that as its all theoretical and its not like I'll be facing you. However, If you turned up for a game against me with that model I'd more likely to be all 'oooooh nice model' and forget the base size issue. :D