PDA

View Full Version : 3D printed heads

teafloy_the_damned
10-09-2012, 20:51
I was digging through the gadget websites when i came across this interesting piece

http://www.firebox.com/product/5430/3D-Printed-Heads

With just a few photos they will create a 3D print of your own face big enough to fit a Lego body
Although its a little too big to fit a standard 28mm model, i'm seriously contemplating upgrading my Ogre Tyrant to my own grinning mush!

Anyone ever thought about doing something like this?

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-09-2012, 21:02
I was digging through the gadget websites when i came across this interesting piece

http://www.firebox.com/product/5430/3D-Printed-Heads

With just a few photos they will create a 3D print of your own face big enough to fit a Lego body
Although its a little too big to fit a standard 28mm model, i'm seriously contemplating upgrading my Ogre Tyrant to my own grinning mush!

Anyone ever thought about doing something like this?

Don't be surpized if the results aren't up to par and it's still expensive anyway. Unless you go in and actually get scanned it won't be accurate. I doubt it will even look close with just photos.

If they are printing it like a colored photo you can fake it a little. I.e. like games that bake realistic photograph texture maps of people onto a 3d mesh. Even then the illusion doesn't really hold up from all angles.

Graxy
10-09-2012, 21:03
Well, I'm fairly confiident that casting entire new models with this is illegal due to copyright laws, but if you aren't actually casting gw models/parts, it should be fine. I think it's a good idea though,depending on how well you scale it.

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-09-2012, 21:05
Well, I'm fairly confiident that casting entire new models with this is illegal due to copyright laws, but if you aren't actually casting gw models/parts, it should be fine. I think it's a good idea though,depending on how well you scale it.

GW copyrighted OP's head? :p

Graxy
10-09-2012, 21:09
GW copyrighted OP's head? :p

I just meant to say aslong as he wasnt making gw products, it was fine.

I wish GW copyrighted my head. It would give me some self worth :rolleyes:

teafloy_the_damned
10-09-2012, 21:10

Plus you'd double in price every 5 years

Crube
10-09-2012, 21:12
I know it's early days for this technology, but this is an exciting development

I think 40 for the service is actually quite reasonable... and kind of tempting :D

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-09-2012, 21:17
I just meant to say aslong as he wasnt making gw products, it was fine.

haha. Nice.

One other thing of note is it says they are not water resistant. I mean sure you are not going to go swimming with them and hopefully you don't spill a drink on it
but for that price i'd be sweating even sweating around it.

Crube
10-09-2012, 21:33
Hmm, not water resistant....

How woud they respond to painting?

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-09-2012, 21:46
Hmm, not water resistant....

How woud they respond to painting?

Well it looks to me like they are just projecting/printing a front and side photo onto a 3d model and just 3d printing it already texture/photo painted on a generic model which they might tweak to match profiles. I have software that can do this ( although i don't have a 3d printer ) and i've long been into 3d and let me tell you it's not a convincing technique.

Think of it like baking and image of yourself onto an egg. Even the egg will look like you but not hold up to any scrutiny.

If it's water resistant i imagine any water based paint is a no go.

To OP im really not trying to be the naysayer here but im just saying don't be surprized if it isn't what you expected.

zoggin-eck
10-09-2012, 23:23
Yikes, that's the most frightening example of uncanny alley I've seen in a while!