PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard allies for Space Wolves?

Merellin
11-09-2012, 13:28
So I was thinking some more on allies and wonderd, Would Imperial guard make a good ally force for Space Wolves? What do IG have to offer the space pups? I found this IG force I'd love to try and replicate the looks of because ti is the most awesome looking IG force ever but I dont want to make a full IG army.. The base of my Space Wolf army is 1 Wolf Priest, 2-3 Grey Hunter squads, And 1-2 Longfang Squads. Other then that I vary to try out diferent things.

MajorWesJanson
11-09-2012, 13:47
So I was thinking some more on allies and wonderd, Would Imperial guard make a good ally force for Space Wolves? What do IG have to offer the space pups? I found this IG force I'd love to try and replicate the looks of because ti is the most awesome looking IG force ever but I dont want to make a full IG army.. The base of my Space Wolf army is 1 Wolf Priest, 2-3 Grey Hunter squads, And 1-2 Longfang Squads. Other then that I vary to try out diferent things.

Well, reading Battle of the Fang you have the various Serf forces allied to the Wolves.
Actual unit wise, Guard could provide a few useful things to the wolves.
1. a small platoon with a heavy weapon squad or two could provide a nice fire base to support the long fangs while the grey hunters go play.
2. Leman Russ exterminator for old school fun. Paint it in Wolf colors, but put it as part of the IG detachment.
3. CCS provides things like reserve manipulation.
4. Guard have fliers. Wolves currently don't.

hobbic_c
11-09-2012, 14:27
I tried this a few days ago, but the other way around. Found that the two forces do seem to compliment each other well, had a blob of guard advancing with grey hunters & runepriest with wolf guard & fire support provided by a second guard platoon with heavy weapon squads & leman russ exterminator.

Don't see any reason why you couldn't have the wolf army you say and back it up with fire support from guard platoons / CCS / leman russ. Or just use a large blob as cannon fodder too

hobojebus
11-09-2012, 14:51
Wolves are one of the most humain SM chapters, in the fluff they openly rebel rather than allow the innocent to be ground beneath the administratums heel.

Where smerfs would sacrifice IG without a thought if it gets them victory, SW will fight alongside them as true brothers and do their utmost to keep them alive without sheltering them to the point it interferes with the mission.

Its a good fit fluff wise and will help wolves with their current weakness against fliers.

Narf
11-09-2012, 14:59
im using Guard allies shortly as a lgs tourney. My back story is these are chapter serfs guarding a SW installation, used for combat training by bloodclaws (hence large bike unit and wolf priest) which come under attack, and the GH drop pod in to fend off the attack

1500 pts

Rune priest
Wolf priest on bike
10 swiftclaws
2x8 & 1x7 Gh packs in drop pods
3 WG in TDA with chainfists.

Company command
veteran unit
veteran unit

The wolves will be playing around in the opponents deployment zone, whilst my guard will be "guarding" my objectives and generally being annoying ( gonna have plasma, grenades launchers and autocannons in the units)

not tried the army yet, and onyl 2 week till the tourny, but thought it would be fun

Merellin
11-09-2012, 15:09
I think I'd use Vostryans cus the models are awesome. Just a shame they are all metal.. Unfortunately I dont know much about IG! I guess I can chat with my friend who plays them, But I think the Sentinels seems nice. So I'd like one group of three sentinels. Dunnos if the Scout or Armoured ones are best though..

hobbic_c
11-09-2012, 15:20
I think I'd use Vostryans cus the models are awesome. Just a shame they are all metal.. Unfortunately I dont know much about IG! I guess I can chat with my friend who plays them, But I think the Sentinels seems nice. So I'd like one group of three sentinels. Dunnos if the Scout or Armoured ones are best though..

the armoured sentinels can provide some really good moving fire support, I usually run mine with plasma cannons, but I know that missile launchers also seem to be popular

DonKarst0n
11-09-2012, 15:47
Background wise it is a very good fit. Just remember the first war for Armageddon. There SW fought fanatically beside guardsmen and were furious at the Inqusition for purging the population after the war.

WildWeasel
11-09-2012, 16:32
List wise, IG have two big things to offer the Rout: long-range Troops in the form of a platoon with some heavy weapon teams for backfield objectives, and a Vendetta.

Other things they can bring are certainly useful and entertaining. Especially if you want to build a themed force. I want to do a Deathstrike with supporting platoon, while Wolves pod in to reinforce this key weapon system.

Merellin
11-09-2012, 17:09
Are conscripts good? Apparantly if I get a Vostroyan special character I can make a group of conscripts so that if they die, Or I chose to get rid of them a new identical group comes in from my table edge. So 50 of them with that rule for 275 points means you have 50 respawning soldiers. Seems like a nice blob..

Theocracity
11-09-2012, 19:59
Wolves are one of the most humain SM chapters, in the fluff they openly rebel rather than allow the innocent to be ground beneath the administratums heel.

Where smerfs would sacrifice IG without a thought if it gets them victory, SW will fight alongside them as true brothers and do their utmost to keep them alive without sheltering them to the point it interferes with the mission.

Its a good fit fluff wise and will help wolves with their current weakness against fliers.

Well, let's be fair - Ultramarines wouldn't sacrifice guardsmen without a thought either. It's just that circumstances beyond their control would lead to the Guard being slaughtered, giving them a motivation of heroic revenge against the monster that caused it :D.

The whole 'sacrifice guardsmen without a thought' concept would be more in character for a 'heel' chapter like Imperial Fists or Iron Hands. Ultramarines or Wolves are more of a 'face' chapter in this pro wrestling metaphor.

More to the question, Valhallans are environmentally suited but not character suited - they're more of a 'sacrifice men' chapter that the Wolves wouldn't like. Vostroyans might be good - and while they're not environmentally similar, I have to think that Wolves and Catachans would love to hang out together.

Conscripts are almost never worth it. Guardsmen are much better for almost any role.

DonKarst0n
11-09-2012, 20:34
Well, let's be fair - Ultramarines wouldn't sacrifice guardsmen without a thought either. It's just that circumstances beyond their control would lead to the Guard being slaughtered, giving them a motivation of heroic revenge against the monster that caused it :D.

The whole 'sacrifice guardsmen without a thought' concept would be more in character for a 'heel' chapter like Imperial Fists or Iron Hands. Ultramarines or Wolves are more of a 'face' chapter in this pro wrestling metaphor.

More to the question, Valhallans are environmentally suited but not character suited - they're more of a 'sacrifice men' chapter that the Wolves wouldn't like. Vostroyans might be good - and while they're not environmentally similar, I have to think that Wolves and Catachans would love to hang out together.

Conscripts are almost never worth it. Guardsmen are much better for almost any role.

So are Salamanders. In "Helsreach" they rather sacrifice battle brothers than failing to protect imperial citizens much to the Black Templar's dislike.

True about the conscripts and Armageddon Steel Legion would make a perfect fit background wise.

Theocracity
11-09-2012, 20:52
Yeah, Salamanders are 'faces' and Templars are 'heels' in my personal reckoning. But that's a topic for another thread :D.

Merellin
12-09-2012, 11:36
Well, I'm gonna use the Vostroyan models as I think they look the best. And when asking what IG have to offer the Space Wolves, I wasent realy thinking fluffwise.. Would sentinels be good? A group of 3 of them mayhaps? Scout or Armoured? Multilaser to slaughter infantry or something else? What troops? Just a big squad of guardsmen?

Thanks for all the posts so far! ^_^

Oh, Also, Would a Leman Russ Punisher with Heavy Bolter sponsons be good? Thats 3 Heavy Bolters and 1 Punished Gatling Cannon for a total of 29 shots!

Vlad Urkana
12-09-2012, 15:58
Sentinels are fun but are far from good options compared to the other options in the FA slot. For less than the price of 3 Scout Sentinels with Lascannons you can get a Vendetta which has the same number of shots but twin linked, higher armor, skyfire if wanted, and the protection of being a flyer. A blob squad of guardsmen is always a good troop choice for holding a point close to home.

As far as the HQ goes, I would use either a Lord Commissar to make the orders you give to your blob squad almost a sure thing, or a Primaris Psyker for an extra psyker. Leman Russes are a bit of an odd duck right now with the new FAQ ruling nerfing the ordnance armed ones, but I still think a Punisher is a little sub-par, if only because you can get an up-gunned version for fewer points in the form of the Vulture. A Manticore is always very good if you can protect it.

If you want to add some Forgeworld stuff to the list you could add Medusa or Basilisk artillery carriages as a HS slot and a Thudd Gun Battery as your Elite slot to really up the firepower of your army.

hobbic_c
12-09-2012, 16:06
Well, I'm gonna use the Vostroyan models as I think they look the best. And when asking what IG have to offer the Space Wolves, I wasent realy thinking fluffwise.. Would sentinels be good? A group of 3 of them mayhaps? Scout or Armoured? Multilaser to slaughter infantry or something else? What troops? Just a big squad of guardsmen?

Thanks for all the posts so far! ^_^

Oh, Also, Would a Leman Russ Punisher with Heavy Bolter sponsons be good? Thats 3 Heavy Bolters and 1 Punished Gatling Cannon for a total of 29 shots!

if you want a leman russ for taking out hordes of stuff, the exterminator does this quite well, and tends to be more useful than the punisher as it can take on light-armour too...