PDA

View Full Version : How do Ogres beat Vampire Counts?

Citadel97501
11-09-2012, 20:13
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any solutions for an issue I have been having? It seems that my ogre kingdoms army has repeatedly been having issues dealing with Vampire characters, and I was hoping someone has a solution?

I can eat 2 of his units by turn three without much issue the problem is his Tomb guard (Grave Guard whatever) I can't seem to crush due to his Vampire Lord with Swift Blood, a Strength boosting sword, and he gets wounds back when he does wounds?

Stuff I am thinking about bringing...(I might be completely wrong)
-Hell Heart, with multiple wizards in his army this is a no brainer...
-8 Scouting Man Eaters, well quite simply these are my MVP as they are one hell of a hammer.
-6 to 8 Sniping Man Eaters, well this seems like a good way to hurt or kill his non-lords before they see combat?
-Instead of a BSB, a second mage either a Fire Belly, or a Beast Butcher seems a good idea?

Stuff that might be a bad idea? (I might be completely wrong)
-Mournfang Cavalry, I know these are normally the best killing units we have available but due to the better initiative and deadliness of the Vampires characters, this seems like a very bad idea due to the fewer wounds than Maneaters.

Scammel
11-09-2012, 20:24
Get some Rhinox Riders, and laugh.

The Hellheart is certainly a good idea, in fact I'm surprised you weren't already taking it against an army so magically-dependent. It almost certainly won't bump off the troublesome Vamp, but it should make the game a lot easier generally if you negate a key phase. Sniper Maneaters aren't a bad idea and neither is a Slaughtermaster with Death, to whom you might consider giving the Greedy Fist to strip the Vamp of any magic levels. Mournfangs are almost always solid, especially with the Dragonhide Banner and a champion might actually be able to be able to last a turn in a challenge whilst the rest of the unit knocks the teeth out of the GG. Whilst they pack less wounds, they do have a much, much better save which pays huge dividends.

-Totenkopf-
11-09-2012, 21:42
Having access to so many snipers, you are quite lucky. I find the blender vamp lord to be quite squishy.. a death wizard would also help.. 1 lucky spirit leech and bye bye blender lord... they also have no shooting so use your sabre tusks and keep the jerk out of combat

theunwantedbeing
11-09-2012, 21:55
I can eat 2 of his units by turn three without much issue the problem is his Tomb guard (Grave Guard whatever) I can't seem to crush due to his Vampire Lord with Swift Blood, a Strength boosting sword, and he gets wounds back when he does wounds?

He should only gain a wound back if he causes 1+ wounds during the combat and then rolls a 6.
This gives him back a single wound at the end of the combat round.

Scarr, Invisible One
11-09-2012, 22:01
Get some Rhinox Riders, and laugh.

He might not be using Forge World units, so that might be a bad idea. If his Lord is only level 1 or 2, you might consider the Frog Scroll for style points, and shoot him down with Sniper Maneaters. :D

Citadel97501
12-09-2012, 01:05
OK, after playing today...(poor Vampires...)

Thank you for all the advice, I used most of it, we were playing 2K and I would have liked to play more points but here is what was fielded and what happened. I also offered to play a rematch due to his bad luck on the first turn, but he said it was OK.

Him
-Super Level 4 like usual in a Horde of Grave Guard with Great Weapons and the + to hit banner.
-Heroic Manfred in 25 Zombies
-Horde of 40+ Ghouls with Banshee Hero thing.

Me
Greedy Slaughter Master (Greedy Fist, Lore of Death, Slaughter Master)
Hungry Butcher (Hell Heart, Iron Fist)
12 x Iron Guts, with Banner of Discipline
8 x Man Eater Snipers/Poison with Flaming
4 x Mournfang Cavalry with Dragon Hide Banner

Turn 1
Sniper Squad of 8 x Man Eaters
-I fizzled my Magic Phase with only 5 dice, casting Caress which he dispelled, and then failed to cast Soul Blight.
-(4 6's) Popped his lord with one round of snipers, he failed all 4 of his 5+ armor saves, then failed his 4+ wards.

Turn 2
-He casts Dance, with Manfred.
-He fails his extremely long charge with ghouls, and his Grave Guard were too far to charge.
-Popped his Manfred with Caress, and then he dispels my Troll Guts on the Mournfangs.
-Iron Guts Charge: Winning Combat by 9 but taking 14 wounds.
-Mournfang Cavalry Charge the Ghouls taking 18 wounds and saving all of them due to Re-rolls.

He surrenders...Due to being down to 12 Grave Guard, and 2 ghouls after combat resolution with 0 mages available.

Scammel
12-09-2012, 07:07
Good one! :p

Maoriboy007
12-09-2012, 20:20
I was a little suprised at the post myself, Ogres have all the tools required to dismantle a vampire army as long as you're not careless, so (regardless of the bad luck your opponant suffered) I'm not suprised at an Ogre win. A fury lord might give Ogres a problem, but Monstrous characters are some of the few models that can go a few rounds with him and make it a risky prospect. The usual staples of Hellheart , Mournfang and Ironblasters are just as much bad news for them as anything else. The Maneater snipers are a nice change ad a nasty suprise, did he not try to hide his Lord behind some zombies for the shooting Mods?

SevenSins
16-09-2012, 21:17
How do ogres beat vampire counts? (or for that matter anyone?)
Answer: with clubs.... Thi-hi-hi

(sorry I couldn't help it)

Tomalock
17-09-2012, 03:52
I played a VC list as my last game of the tourney I was at this weekend. Quick one sentence recap is I almost tabled him and I had a unit of iron guts that sat in a corner on an object doing literally nothing the entire game.

My advice, as both a tourney VC And OK player, is go for the head as early as possible. Killing the general will almost always create a critical situation for your opponent. Against my opponent this weekend I charged the unit he was in on turn two with my hunter on a stonehorn. I challenged him out and while he killed my hunter, the stonehorn murdered him. The game went rapidly south for him from there.

I personally agree with other posters that OK really don't have a lot to fear from VC. A good player will always be a challenge to play, but OK have so many viable tools that you should never go into a game feeling like you have already lost.

datalink7
23-09-2012, 18:29
Having access to so many snipers, you are quite lucky. I find the blender vamp lord to be quite squishy.. a death wizard would also help.. 1 lucky spirit leech and bye bye blender lord... they also have no shooting so use your sabre tusks and keep the jerk out of combat

How are blender vamp lords squishy? Mine has a 1+/4++, WS7, T5, and he can heal himself. And dish out an immense amount of damage with S6, ASF and Red Fury.

Warrior of Chaos
23-09-2012, 19:57
I'm a bit late jumping in on this post but I will say I was surprised by the title. Ogres generally don't have much to fear from VC because they have the versatility to deal with them. VC vs. Ogres is almost always an uphill battle for the Vamps. Great job on your win and I agree with the above poster that you shouldn't go in feeling like you may lose. Ogres are SOLID! Now your Vamp playing buddy will have to reassess his tactics and figure out how to counter you. :D

Lordcypress
25-09-2012, 22:35
And the VC players will through the use of Cairn Wraith Hereos and other Ethreal Units. I had three Cairn Wraiths murder 3 MornFangs just a couple of months ago.

Mid'ean
26-09-2012, 13:38
How are blender vamp lords squishy? Mine has a 1+/4++, WS7, T5, and he can heal himself. And dish out an immense amount of damage with S6, ASF and Red Fury.

I was wondering the same thing. Blender Lords are far from squishy...lol. I'm not afraid of throwing mine against most Lord build outs there. Especially if he has his WK body guard with the nightshroud next to him.