PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Units with Augments/Hexes

Moss
12-09-2012, 16:47
What happens if a character leaves a unit affected by an augment/hex spell? Does the spell stay with the unit or does it go with the character?

If it stays with the unit...
What happens if a character charges out of a unit affected by Birona's Timewarp? Is his charge range determined using his doubled movement?

AntaresCD
12-09-2012, 17:38
As to your first question: If the spell was cast on the unit (which is usually the case) it stays with the unit. In a few cases the spell targets the character specifically and would then stay with the character. The spell wording will tell you what the target is (it is almost always "unit").

As to the second question: I believe the relevant FAQ entry is:

"Q: If a unit containing one or more characters has had its
Movement Allowance altered, will this affect a character leaving
the unit, including if he tries to charge out of it? (p101)
A: Yes, but for that move only."

Moss
12-09-2012, 18:59
Perfect! Thanks!

narrativium
12-09-2012, 21:59
What happens if the unit consists only of two characters?

AntaresCD
12-09-2012, 22:04
Well that's is an interesting situation. When they are together it's a unit consisting of two characters. When one leaves you now have two solo characters. So either the one left behind inherits since he is considered the "original" unit, or everything is lost since the "unit" no longer exists (similar in logic to what happens when a unit is wiped out leaving only the characters). I would lean towards choice two, just because it's overall simpler and more consistent, but I don't think there is any solid rule that covers that exact situation (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Moss
12-09-2012, 22:11
I never considered that scenario. How about if a character joins another lone character who has an augment spell on him to form a 2-man unit? Does he inherit the buffs like he would if he was joining a conventional unit with the same augment?

AntaresCD
12-09-2012, 22:14
That one is easier. If the buff is unit wide it goes to the whole "unit" of two characters, otherwise it stays with the original character only. Units are pretty much treated the same reguardless of how many, if any, characters are in them for this context.

AntaresCD
12-09-2012, 22:19
Overall you have the following basic pairs of possiblities: 1) The spell is currently on a character. vs. 2) The spell is currently on a unit. and A) The spell only affects the character. vs. B) The spell affects the whole unit.

1+A gets you the spell effect only on the character and goes with it. 1+B gets you the spell goes with the character but affects any unit its currently in. 2+A I don't think can actually happen since character targetting spells I don't think are ever cast at a unit (although I could be wrong). So just in case, if this did come up the spell would stay with the unit and affect any character in with them. 2+B The spell affects the unit, stays with the unit, and benefits any character in the unit.

King Arthur
15-09-2012, 20:16
The rules say that the character counts as being part of the unit only under a few circumstances will they not count as part of the unit

dms505
19-09-2012, 18:14
The two character unit brings me to another question . . If 2 characters only are left from a unit of say 600 points not counting characters, does the opponent then still not get points for the entire unit until at least one of those two characters is dead? Wow that could be a sweet points denial option.

AntaresCD
19-09-2012, 19:08
No, the unit is seperate on points. It doesn't matter if you deploy a character in the unit at the start of the game or are even forced to. Unless stated otherwise, a unit's points and a character's points are seperate. They are different line items on your army list, if that helps you remember (but command, upgrades, magic items aren't hence they count with the appropriate unit or character). You could snipe a character out and get its points and not the unit's, conversely, you could kill the entire unit and not the character and get the unit's points but not the character's.

dms505
20-09-2012, 09:59
So then when all but the two characters are dead, it's still a unit, just not the same unit. Basically as soon as the unit of normal models is gone, the characters step apart and then step back together to reform a brand new unit.

AntaresCD
20-09-2012, 15:42
So then when all but the two characters are dead, it's still a unit, just not the same unit. Basically as soon as the unit of normal models is gone, the characters step apart and then step back together to reform a brand new unit.
Correct. That is answered specifically in the BRB FAQ:

"Q: At what point after a unit has been wiped out do any characters
remaining count as having left the unit? (p101)
A: As soon as the last model from the unit has been removed,
any remaining characters will count as a new unit. Note that
this will cause Panic tests to all friendly units within 6"
(including the newly formed unit of character(s)) as the unit
has been destroyed."

Moss
20-09-2012, 23:56
Do augments/hexes transfer to the new unit in that scenario?

I imagine they do, but I can understand the argument against it. I can't find support for either.

AntaresCD
21-09-2012, 00:01
Do augments/hexes transfer to the new unit in that scenario?

I imagine they do, but I can understand the argument against it. I can't find support for either.
It's not explicit, but if a hex/augment was on a unit, and that unit is destroyed and there is a new unit, that would lead to the conclusion that the hex/augment is now lost since it's target no longer exists. Admittedly it's a grey area, but that's how I've always seen it played and why.

Moss
21-09-2012, 00:16
It's not explicit, but if a hex/augment was on a unit, and that unit is destroyed and there is a new unit, that would lead to the conclusion that the hex/augment is now lost since it's target no longer exists. Admittedly it's a grey area, but that's how I've always seen it played and why.

As it's written, that's what it looks like (or rather, as it's not written). I guess when I said "I imagine they do," I meant, "I'm going to play it as they do even though it's probably wrong." Thanks.