PDA

View Full Version : 2500 lizardmen vs VC

jarbo
15-09-2012, 17:32
Well my friend and I have a game tomorrow and we decided to bring the best we can muster against eachother. I think I'm taking the death slann unless someone comes up with a better idea. I'm at 2404 point so about 100 to spend. I have the standard death slann, 2 priest with cube and scroll (preventing his vamp healing is priority), 2 blocks of saurus, 3 skink skirmisher units (redirecting/stall his vamp unit), 2 regular skink unit (redirect/stall his vamp unit), big TG block with flame banner (he usually runs 2x8 crypt horrors), 4 salamanders (obvious why).

Thoughts?

Slann Mage-Priest (Battle Standard Bearer)
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
Bane Head
Standard of Discipline
Focus of Mystery
The Becalming Cogitation
The Focused Rumination

Skink Priest
Cube of Darkness

Skink Priest
1 Dispel Scroll

24 Saurus Warriors
Full command

24 Saurus Warriors
Full command

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skinks

10 Skinks

26 Temple Guard
Full command
Banner of Eternal Flame

2 Salamander Hunting Pack

2 Salamander Hunting Pack

Total Roster Cost: 2404

jarbo
15-09-2012, 18:44
I should also mention he usually runs a lord close to this:

Vampire Lord
Sword of Anti Heroes
Dragonhelm
Talisman of Preservation
The Other Trickster's Shard
Beguile
Quickblood
Red Fury

He basically does 8-9 wounds a combat phase and is extreamly hard to hurt, thus death magic

Moss
15-09-2012, 19:43
I hate to oversimplify things, but death gives you an automatic edge. I would drop a saurus block so you can bring more things to help you avoid his gg. Get the slann in range of his general and there's a very good chance he dies. Unless he has a secondary lore of vampires user, you win.

Again, sorry to simplify it, but taking lore of death against vc makes things pretty easy on you.

Edit: When I say "things to help you avoid his gg," I mean some chameleon skinks and terradons maybe. The idea is to get your Slann next to his general's unit, while not letting his GG destroy your other units.

mo-man
16-09-2012, 19:00
Why would taking lroe of death make it an auto-win the vampire lord is still usually a lvl 3 or 4 and a evry good stat line as well. To beat vc's you gotta figure out what their strength's are and what your weakness is. With vc's their best strength is there fear and how they can have minus modifiers to your leadership so to counteract this take units that already cause fear such as cold one knights or stegadons or even skinks with hidden kroxigors. VC's excel and long and drawn out combats where they wittle you down and as you are fairly low initiative they will be going before you, that's why take life will work wonders for your army due to the regrowth spell as well as the hex's you can put on the vc unit and the buff's you can put on your own units.

Moss
16-09-2012, 19:26
I didn't mean to suggest that it would be an auto-win. The lore of death (when used by a spell casting monster like the slann) just makes things much easier to kill the VC blender lord (who also happens to be the general). In my games against VC, I think I've managed to kill him only once without the lore of death.

Also, I've found the strength of VCs not to be the leadership modifiers, especially against Lizardmen, who are cold blooded and usually not far from their slann. They excel at VP denial in the form of the blender lord/skeleton bunker and giant GG unit. Either unit is near impossible to beat in combat, even with loads of augment spells.

That goes back to my point that the best way to beat VC with such a build is with the lore of death, since it is the only semi-reliable way to kill the lord. Not saying its automatic or anything, just much easier.

jarbo
18-09-2012, 04:11
Well, The slann took out his lord turn 2. He still put up a solid fight because death isnt the best lore when it comes down to combats, but just crumbling tiped the game

m1acca1551
18-09-2012, 05:07
Well... a turn 2 snipe is to be expected with a slann and death, howd he take it?

Moss
18-09-2012, 22:16
Taking Death against VC is like stabbing a guy on your first day of prison. You've just established your dominance, so going forward you can take it easy without having to prove just how dangerous you are.

jarbo
18-09-2012, 22:50
Taking Death against VC is like stabbing a guy on your first day of prison. You've just established your dominance, so going forward you can take it easy without having to prove just how dangerous you are.

That's a perfect way of putting it lol. Next game I'll take my standard list with light. Just had to shut him up about his "unbeatable list"