PDA

View Full Version : Be'Lakor.. any good? Worth the points?

Your Mum Rang
11-05-2006, 10:31
Hey all. I'm considering using Be'Lakor to lead my Daemonic Legion but don't know how good he is.

His stats are okay but worse than a Lord of Change (my only other option).

Eternal terror can be AMAZING and even the highest LD enemies will fail eventually!

His Insurmountable Rage improves his combat ability somewhat.

His spells dont seem too spectacular.

What do you guys think of him? Him or a LoC?

Neknoh
11-05-2006, 13:49
. . . non-spectacular spells? Please tell me you're joking, especially seeing as your other options would be either a Daemonprince/Exalted Daemon of Tzeentch or a Lord of Change, all of which uses the Tzeentchian lore which is vastly inferior to Be'Lakor's.

He will also allow you to field a unit of Furies to further the Flying Cirkus of Tzeentch, throw in one or two heralds of Tzeentch on discs and you have yourself one nasty castingforce (two units of Horrors with Champions would be the ideal basic-core, throw in the Furies and a unit of Screamers and then start adding Changebringers)

I say go for him, most deffinately go for him!

Your Mum Rang
11-05-2006, 18:31
Kewl. What spells in particular are good other than the panic test one?

Persephone
11-05-2006, 18:40
Belakor is nasty and in my opnion he is a better buy than the Great Daemons for sure.

Neknoh
11-05-2006, 20:04
The Fog of Death and Coils of the Serpent are perticullary good, but, remember, he knows all of those spells, and together with a lot of wizards, you will have a lot of Powerdice, so he can cast all of them thar spells in a single round.

Your Mum Rang
11-05-2006, 20:27
Well my list will probably only have 8 power dice and look like:

Be'Lakor
12 Horrors + Champ
12 Horrors + Champ
3 Screamers
3 Screamers
3 Changebringers
3 Changebringers
Chariot
Chariot

Still work?

metro_gnome
11-05-2006, 20:41
well you know that im gonna tell you to drop the second changebringers for a chariot herald...
and just cause i like a nice even list...
make it one unit of 4 screamers... and drop the second unit for 5 furies... for screening the chariot herald...

Neknoh
11-05-2006, 21:14
I'd say get at LEAST one more Herald, Metro Gnomes suggestions seems nice.

And, you could also drop two Horrors from each unit and simply have them as long-range firepower, remember, PL 5 needs on average 2 dice to be dispelled, so blasting away 2 magic missiles at that PL before you even start casting your normal spells should be enough to draw some dispell dice if focused on the same unit.

A Chariot could be dropped, as could a unit of Changebringers, this would free up a lot of points so that you could put a Herald of Tzeentch into the remaining Chariot and perhaps even have enough points to put a herald on a disc and join him with the remaining Changebringers.

Also, Screamers work better in larger groups, one group of 5 should do it, remember, with Be'Lakor, 2 Heralds and 2 Horro Champions, you will have 8 Dispell Dice and possably a Spell Breaker or two in order to stop incomming missiles at that one unit. Besides, that unit could easely slash a normal wizard to death on their way to the enemy warmachines.

Good luck, besides, Your Mum Rang :p

Your Mum Rang
11-05-2006, 22:07
So characters are the way to go in the TDL? Thats just strange to me.

I'm used to having lots of units at my disposal and spending few points on characters.

I guess I'll collect all the basic troops first then experiment with the characters.

Cheers lads.

PS: Chariots are the bes thing about the army for me!

billr
11-05-2006, 22:18
Think of him as a greater daemon for chaos undivided. Try him out for a few games and let us know how it goes.

Neknoh
11-05-2006, 22:48
The thing with a Tzeentch Daemonic legion is that the true oomph comes from the magic and fighting capabillities of the characters, supported by the shooting and fighting of Changebringers and Chariots, and in order to anoy the opponent, you throw in some Horrors with Champions and perhaps a Flamer unit or two to get rid of flankers.

But Tzeentch isn't usually a heavy troop army, Tzeentch costs a lot for heros and you want to make the most out of it

shadowprince
12-05-2006, 01:12
he does more for your army than any other daemon would. And allows him to be a tactical choice in his own right. He is fairly easy to kill though so watch out.

Your Mum Rang
13-05-2006, 14:18
What kinda number of power dice would be ideal for Be'Lakor?

metro_gnome
13-05-2006, 15:04
i like 10... 8 is too few... 9 has too many horrors on da ground... 12 is too points intesive...
so i like 10... but im sure there are other opinions...

Neknoh
13-05-2006, 15:34
If you were to only fuel Be'Lakor's spells and perhaps the occasional Tzeentch spell, 10 is enough, however, 12 allows you to blast away in the magic phase (although it does get points intensive)

Your Mum Rang
13-05-2006, 16:42
How about 8? That'd allow you to get off two of Be'Lakor's and then either a red fire or Be'Lakor's magic missile.

I never like being too reliant on magic to win games.

Neknoh
13-05-2006, 17:20
That's far too few in a Tzeentchian army where you pay high ammounts of points to get your magic.

Especially in a Daemonic Legion of Tzeentch which doesn't like to go combaty during the first four turns of a game unless the entire enemy army is MSU (in which case, the Tzeentch army will still avoid the enemy but blast the units to bits instead of weakening them).

Your Mum Rang
13-05-2006, 18:17
Well I do actually want to go against the typical magic-heavy army. I think that Be'Lakor allows this as he gives you defense against shooting and some other nasty tricks.

Neknoh
13-05-2006, 20:06
Of course, however, Tzeentch Daemons don't hold squat in close combat compared to the other gods, what you could do would be to go for 1 unit of Horrors with Champ, a Chariot of Tzeentch with a Herald of Tzeentch riding it, hte rest of the points could be used for a unit of Furies and a unit of Daemonettes so you can include a unit of Pleasureseekers and perhaps also a unit of Mounted Daemonettes, that would make for a nice undivided army with a decent ammount of magic and that still would be a feaseble combat army.

Your Mum Rang
13-05-2006, 22:32
Hmm I dunno. Still really wanna try to make a Tzeentch combat-oriented army rather than relying on the magic-crutch.

Thinking about it the idea would be to pick fights. A charge from Screamers and a chariot could probably break a unit if you get a flank/rear charge (I mean 8+D6 S4 attacks plus 6-8 more can do well!). But to be safe add in a unit of changebringers and bobs yer uncle. Granted that this will not ALWAYS work but it can do well.

Add in Be'Lakor and I believe his special abilities give you a good chance!

Am I right in thinking this wouldnt make an all-conquering army but one that is a rewarding challenge to play with and has the ability to win if things work.

Or slap me in the face and say I'm barking up the wrong tree! SLAP ME!

Neknoh
14-05-2006, 07:06
Depends, seems to me that you might have to stay away from adding any Heralds in that case, and you would also be rather low on Dispell Dice for a Tzeentch Legion.

The magic of Tzeentch isn't as much a crutch as it is a support, remember, after two or three rounds of magic and shooting whilst dancing arround your opponent, you can then start to flank and rear charge (another reason to pick a Herald in a Chariot, he actually breaks ranks, and he's the only unit except from Be'Lakor, Lords of Change and Horrors that do that in a Tzeentch Legion).

Revlid
14-05-2006, 08:41
A Combat Tzeentch army where you pick your fights does work, but it is generally considered a cheesy, RaF, whittle-down then charge list.

Your Mum Rang
14-05-2006, 10:48
Ah well thats good as I have little magic presenting a different challenge to the enemy.

How much would that -2 to shooting protect units? I think that'd have most things hitting on 6's. If they are hitting on 5's how does the -2 work?

metro_gnome
14-05-2006, 12:01
wood eleves might hit on 5's... you would rarely see it any way...

magic is not a crutch for the god of magic...
and if you think so you are indeed barking up the wrong tree... and making the wrong army...

Your Mum Rang
14-05-2006, 12:51
"wood eleves might hit on 5's... you would rarely see it any way..."

How so?

metro_gnome
14-05-2006, 13:06
well i was saying that wood elves would be one of the few troops with BS4 or greater which would allow them to hit on 5's...

as i review the rules it would appear that BS 2 troops woul be unable to hit you...
it says that a 1 is always a failure....but it doesnt say that a 6 is always sucess...

Your Mum Rang
14-05-2006, 14:01
Hmm interesting. Time to call in the rules-lawyers :P

metro_gnome
14-05-2006, 14:08
my apologies... your troops can be hit...
the troops would have to roll a six... if they do they get to roll a second time...
resulting in possible hitz using this chart...
7+ = 6 followed by a 4, 5 or 6
8+ = 6 followed by a 5 or 6
9+ = 6 followed by a 6
10+ = Impossible!