PDA

View Full Version : Nicest O&G Standard Bearer on Foot

ZooKeeper
17-09-2012, 18:51
I have a problem with my O&G army. It is 6000 points strong, but has no model worthy of being a BSB on foot. I am looking for nominations from both orc and goblin camps. Waaagh!

Kenzaburo
17-09-2012, 19:56
so, uhm, are you asking for pictures of models or for what banner to choose? because if it'S models you want, you might be in the wrong forum section, mate.

ZooKeeper
18-09-2012, 00:04
You're right.I should have been more clear.
I am curious what people think is the best looking standard bearer on foot from the O&G range. I'm not looking for conversions or paint jobs, just the best model.

Why
18-09-2012, 00:15
This one.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440021a&prodId=prod840850&rootCatGameStyle=
Or convert from black orcs.

decker_cky
18-09-2012, 00:38
Limited edition BSB from the 6th edition box set.

Spiney Norman
18-09-2012, 06:11
I know you said no conversions, but as of this moment there is only one BSB on foot in the O&G range and that is the Orc warboss plastic kit. Both my O&G BSBs are conversions because there just isn't a goblin or savage orc BSB model available. Several folks have mentioned the old Ltd Ed 6th Ed BSB, but you'll pay through the nose for him on ebay now, the other alternative you might be able to get hold of is the old metal Savage orc standard bearer with the boar skin cloak, he was a very cool model, although he is probably slightly smaller than the plastic savages which might make him undesirable for a character especially among orcs.

I have a Night Goblin BSB converted from the great weapon warboss (not the one with the moon axe, the one holding it sideways with the trophy wrack on his back) and an ogre bull banner, it look very warhammery, unfeasibly large and far too heavy for the little dude to lift. Basically I cut the great weapon in the middle and rotated both hands 90 degrees upwards. Then I moved the blade over to the right hand and put the banner in the left.

Having said that, the boss with the moon great weapon would probably be even easier to convert to a BSB because his weapon is already verticle, all you would have to do would be to extend the banner pole slightly and find a suitable banner, beastmen banners (gor, ungor or bestigor banners) are about the right size for a goblin bsb.

If you want a common/forest goblin the spider shaman from the arachnarok or the plastic common gob shaman should work well if you just replace their shaman staff with some kind of banner.

The other BSB conversion I did was a savage orc kitbash, I used the big stabba trunk as the banner pole and leaned it against the flat open hand that is meant for the boarboy drummer then I used the boss head from the boarboy kit and gave him a suitably cool looking axe, topped the pole with a plastic lizardmen banner (temple guard I think) and stuck some savage Orc shields to the banner pole itself.

Ruront
18-09-2012, 08:20
I have a night goblin BSB tto, but I use this one. It is NOT a shaman. (He has an axe and wears chainmail!)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440078a&prodId=prod1130268

My army has a lots of night goblins and you might want an Orc BSB. For Orcs I would also would choose the Limited edition BSB from the 6th edition boxed set.

Jind_Singh
18-09-2012, 15:38
Everyone has spoken the truth - the plastic Orc Warboss kit from GW is the ONLY pre-made BSB model we have access to - everything else and you need to do a conversion!

Lucky for us there are a LOT of models that can be easily converted with minimum amount of time, effort, and get a really good center piece for your collection.

Malorian
18-09-2012, 17:41
BSB for a 6000 point army?

Gorbad!!! :D

Sunner
18-09-2012, 19:40
For the goblin side, you could use Maggot, the standard bearer from the old Rudlug's armoured orcs. Its what I use, the banner could be a bit bigger for the BSB but it stands out nonetheless.

Urgat
19-09-2012, 06:29
I heard Nibblit is very nice, he hands cookies around and stuff. Problem is, you have to take Grom too, and Grom steals your cookies.
Seriously, besides the plastic orc boss kit, Nibblit's the only other BSB we have :p (that's quite amazing considering the absurd amount of boss and shaman sculpts we have :p)

Spiney Norman
19-09-2012, 06:38
I heard Nibblit is very nice, he hands cookies around and stuff. Problem is, you have to take Grom too, and Grom steals your cookies.
Seriously, besides the plastic orc boss kit, Nibblit's the only other BSB we have :p (that's quite amazing considering the absurd amount of boss and shaman sculpts we have :p)

Well there is Gorbad, but the OP did specify models on foot

Urgat
19-09-2012, 06:49
Gorbad doesn't really have a banner though (model-wise). Nibblit's on foot, he's just standing on a chariot :D

Morkash
19-09-2012, 10:32
Limited edition BSB from the 6th edition box set.

I second this notion. I have the model and it is absolutely amazing. You can get it on eBay for 20-30€ I guess. Might not be cheap, on the other hand it's metal & it wouldn't be cheaper in Finecast. :P

Originally it was included in the 2000's Orc Army Box, here is the beauty: http://solegends.com/citle/citle2000/armyboxes/09orcstd/index.htm

For them Gobbos I'd buy the new plastic Goblin Shaman and give him a standard instead of his staff. :)

Jind_Singh
19-09-2012, 20:43
Oh Mork & Gork -why did you show me that pic - that figure is amazing! And now I wants it!

Arnizipal
19-09-2012, 21:30
I'm rather partial to the Black Orc standard with the (dead) dwarf tied to it, but I don't have it in my collection (and I don't think it's available anymore either).

Another one of my favorites is the standard bearer of my first Orc regiment. I bought it around 1998 or so. It's part metal with a buch of impaled heads along the banner pole (including an Orc skull and a Saurus head). Incredibly prone to tipping over but it sure is nice to look at :)

Urgat
19-09-2012, 21:48
Incredibly prone to tipping over

That's an understatement. Mine drives me crazy >.<

Arnizipal
19-09-2012, 21:52
I glued a 2cents coin under it. It's better now :)
The boss causes more trouble.

Gork or Possibly Mork
19-09-2012, 22:32
Both of mine Orc BSB and Goblin BSB are heavily converted/greenstuffed however if i needed to makes some i'd simply kit bash. I don't really consider kit bashing conversions and even just cutting a weapon top off adding a drilled and pinned longer shaft and banner isn't that complicated.

152476 For a goblin i'd go with him as a base.

152477 For Night Goblin

152478 For Orcs which can kit bash nicely with Black Orc Plastics and the new savage boss

Magnets 4 the win! ;)

Jind_Singh
19-09-2012, 23:05
I have that standard top from the Black Orc one with a dying dwarf tied to the top - just not the actual model

But I'm looking on ebay for that other model - I wants him!

Urgat
20-09-2012, 06:02

Ahaha, the boss, he's currently lying in 4 parts on a shelf after he fell of the n'th time. Metal arm, metal head, hunchback body in plastic... ANyway, he's ugly, I decided he wasn't worth the effort of regluing him yet again.
Oh, And I'ver glued metal under the base, and even some stuff under the front edge of the base to have it lean a bit backward. Didn't suffice >>

My BSB's made from the plastic common goblins. As they're quite bigger than the old metal ones and, no doubt, the ones that will replace them, works well.

Kalandros
20-09-2012, 06:55
I took the old Wurrzag (whatever the exact name, the special shaman) which goes on a boar, stuck him on a 25mm base with slightly straighter legs but still on tip-toes~ and replaced half his staff with the Savage orcs banner.
Makes my Savage Orc BSB quite nicely.

Belakor
20-09-2012, 06:58
The LE BSB is better suited as a brutal Orc (I use Ruglud's body for my BSB):

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee48/SL-PN/Other/?action=view&current=bild-59.jpg

Arnizipal
20-09-2012, 07:40
ANyway, he's ugly, I decided he wasn't worth the effort of regluing him yet again.
The helm is kinda weird but the sword looks very nice in my opinion.

Morkash
20-09-2012, 08:31
I have that standard top from the Black Orc one with a dying dwarf tied to the top - just not the actual model

But I'm looking on ebay for that other model - I wants him!

Hehe, sorry Jind_Singh :D

In case you wonder, OP, which model is meant with the impaled dwarf: It's this one: http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics14/img4bf2240837ecb.jpg The arrows were attached afterwards, but otherwise it is the old metal Black Orc Standard Bearer. As far as I know you could only get him together with a musician in a blister. I used this one as BSB for some time before getting the one from the army box. :) (Word of caution: Could fall over)

Bingo the Fun Monkey
20-09-2012, 08:41
I use the black orc big boss model. I replaced the axe with a pole with a crucified dwarf on top (i think that was the banner head for the SoC black orcs), put a 2 handed axe from the plastic warboss kit on his back, and left the shield in place. I reasoned that a black orc would simply use a shield more as a glorified flat gauntlet than as a "shield".

Lorcryst
20-09-2012, 17:35
Since there's no Night Goblin BSB model, and the very old Night Goblins command group with the HUUUUUGE pole is worth a truckload of gold, I've converted my own Night Goblin BSB, quite simply : old Skarsnik model (the one that fits on a 20mm base), snipped the top of his prodder, glued the big honking banner from the current NG box on it (not the moon crescent, the other one).

Looks the part, at least from the comment I got on it.

CrystalSphere
20-09-2012, 17:56
My favourite is this one: http://dismember.free.fr/battle/black_orcs_front.jpg
It was a black orc metal command model, released around the same time that the storm of chaos campaign, if i remember correctly. It may be hard to find one now, but i think the idea is pretty cool: a stuntie on a pole, very orcy, and makes for an original BSB. You could use a current dwarf miniature on a pole to make something similar.

PS. I didnīt release this was already suggested, sorry about that, I should read more slowly :P

Harwammer
22-09-2012, 16:27
I made an orc BSB for a friend's birthday. I did some conversion work, but I think similar results could be attained with little more than a kit bash.

I used a regular orc's legs, body and arms. I added shoulder pads (1 warboss and 1 orc) and a metal spine (again, from the standard warrior kit). I took a head from the warboss kit. The black orc banner looks best (it's held one handed!) so a little conversion work came in here. Remove the hand and most of the forearms from each of the BSB's arms. Now remove the big gloves from a pair of black orc arms (make sure one is holding the banner pole). Simply glue these gloves on to your BSB's stumpy arms where his old hands used to be.

You'll end up with something like the picture I attached. Note I bulked up the torso with greenstuff on the one I built, but this shouldn't really be neccesary.

If you are dead set against even the simpliest conversions you could try using a boarboy body on black orc or warboss legs?

ZooKeeper
25-09-2012, 03:06
Thank you everyone for the nominations/suggestions and posting your pics. I have a lot to think about.

Urgat
25-09-2012, 05:56
FW is going to release a night goblin BSB , well, someday, a pic of it was shown at the English games day.

kris.sherriff
25-09-2012, 12:45
I am fairly sure I have a LE Orc standard bearer somewhere at home that I could part with, am away with work until Friday but could have a look then if you want. As I remember he is not even glued together.

Kris

GenerationTerrorist
25-09-2012, 15:28
How about using the Grumlok model from the Collectors Edition of Warhammer Online?
http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle2000/promotions/grumlok/index.htm

I used this as the base for my Savage Orc BSB (He was wearing Armour of Silvered Steel, OK!) in my old Savage Orc army before I had to sell them.
Mounted him at the front of a Cavalry base - Orientated the way a Cavalry base would be on a Cavalry model - and did a bit of greenstuff work on the base itself to support, behind him, a free-standing piece of dowelling and a rather impressive (if I say so myself) greenstuff banner decorated with 40K Ork decor.

Arnizipal
26-09-2012, 13:32
How about using the Grumlok model from the Collectors Edition of Warhammer Online?
http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle2000/promotions/grumlok/index.htm
That model didn't do it for me.
Looks far too static.

Urgat
26-09-2012, 14:13
He's also a massive pain to rank up.

Anopheles
26-09-2012, 22:25
I made mine from a plastic Black Orc with the standard bearer arm. I buffed him up with extra weapons and elevated him with a resin base. To make his flag huge I used an Ogre standard and lots of bits and pieces for trophies. The problem I had with normal Orcs is their posture of course makes them tip, so I went for the much more vertical Black Orc for the body.

There's a picture of the BSB on my gallery (link below).

Senbei
26-09-2012, 22:43
He's also a massive pain to rank up.

Stand him on a big rock! Raised up, out of the crowd, he'll clip the other models less.

The real problem is that he'll cost you Ģ25. A real collectors model though.

Craze_b0i
27-09-2012, 00:19
Hehe, sorry Jind_Singh :D

In case you wonder, OP, which model is meant with the impaled dwarf: It's this one: http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics14/img4bf2240837ecb.jpg The arrows were attached afterwards, but otherwise it is the old metal Black Orc Standard Bearer. As far as I know you could only get him together with a musician in a blister. I used this one as BSB for some time before getting the one from the army box. :) (Word of caution: Could fall over)

When I see that banner-guy I always imagine some orcs standing at the far end of the battlefield, perhaps behind a small hill or a unit of cavalry, and they shout: "hold it a bit higher we can't properly see it! No up a bit more! Dat's right, keep it just there!"

Urgat
27-09-2012, 06:22
Stand him on a big rock! Raised up, out of the crowd, he'll clip the other models less.

He's already extremely heavy. If you add a pole to turn him into a BSB and put him on top of something, he'll look a bit weird but, more importantly, he's going to tople all the time... No going on hills for this one.

Dark Aly
27-09-2012, 18:18
I use the old metal mikari model for my night gobs. The banner bearer from the old chariot for my gobs and a kitbashed plastic orc one for, well, my orcs.

kris.sherriff
29-09-2012, 10:54
Found him,

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/krissherriff/Titan%20Legion/DSC_0041.jpg

PM me with an offer if anyone wants to give him a good home :D

Kris

ZooKeeper
04-10-2012, 01:30
Since there's no Night Goblin BSB model, and the very old Night Goblins command group with the HUUUUUGE pole is worth a truckload of gold, I've converted my own Night Goblin BSB, quite simply : old Skarsnik model (the one that fits on a 20mm base), snipped the top of his prodder, glued the big honking banner from the current NG box on it (not the moon crescent, the other one).

Looks the part, at least from the comment I got on it.

Is this the night goblin command guy you mean?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Classic-Night-Goblin-Command-Group-metal-76-/180985637307?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item2a2395a9bb

Lorcryst
04-10-2012, 11:01
Nope, there's a very old Night Goblin banner bearer with a huuuuuge pole in the form of an inverted L, with no decoration, that was meant as a BSB somewhere between 3rd and 4th editions ... the "moon crescent" banner are relatively easy to find, but that particular one with the huge pole is quite harder ...

Here : http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92373ogngoblins-02.htm, second row from the top, last one on the right, "Night Goblin Standard Bearer 2" ... from the Green Catalog, circa 1993

Horace35
04-10-2012, 12:38
Theres quite a few of them on ebay, although it is harder to find than some of the other standards. I had to replace mine a while back, after that and my metal night goblin regiment never returned from being lent.

Here for example, 99p bargain :) (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-Marauder-Night-Goblin-Battle-Standard-OOP-/170917684812?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item27cb7ce64c)

potterz
20-10-2012, 11:48
I botched the now finecast Blork big boss, swapped his axe for a big arsed banner and his sheild for a brutal choppa!!

Morhgoz
20-10-2012, 22:28
Nope, there's a very old Night Goblin banner bearer with a huuuuuge pole in the form of an inverted L, with no decoration, that was meant as a BSB somewhere between 3rd and 4th editions ... the "moon crescent" banner are relatively easy to find, but that particular one with the huge pole is quite harder ...

Here : http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92373ogngoblins-02.htm, second row from the top, last one on the right, "Night Goblin Standard Bearer 2" ... from the Green Catalog, circa 1993

That model is one I would like to have, as are those shamans and bosses 2 and 3. I already 2 of both boss1, one with hood in the back and that other banner bearer with sword and banner with horned skull.

I converted two BSB, orc and black orc ones. Orc uses torso and left arm of gorkamorka nob with two axes, left one high above his head, has leather armour bolts. Head from boyz box boss with mask, shield in left arm, rider legs from boys box and metal Waaagh! banner from 3rd edition metal nob box with all futuristic bitz removed. BO BSB is based Grimgor model, with left fist replaced with metal fist with axe from metal BO, axe head removed and added longer pole to it, 2handed axe from gorgamorka weapon blister in back and head of metal nob with hair squig plus face mask with zombie head stuck to left tusk. I'm going to use large ogre flag with Ghazgull's bosspole top of that and old tied up halfling from metal giant hanging at back of flag. Propably have to put lot of lead to his base to his base or magnet and make metal movement tray to his unit... :skull: