PDA

View Full Version : Happy with finecast?

GrandmasterWang
21-09-2012, 03:04
Having finished painting the finecast watcher in the water I was actually very impressed with the material.

No miscasts, very easy to work with. I decided once I had painted it that I didnt like the tentacle positioning. Having heard the melting stories I took a hair dryer too them and was able to repose them painted. They are now happily staying in their new positions. This would have been impossible with metal or plastic.

I will definitely consider more finecast purchases based on my one very good experience.

Anyone else have similar positive stories to share?

TsukeFox
21-09-2012, 03:18
Nope-

Carrion fine-cash:
Con: tails snapped right off, crazy pricy, minor bubbles

Pro: not heavy.

40k multi Armed snake creature/dark eldar:
Cons: sword bent like a wave.
Pro: not heavy.

GrandmasterWang
21-09-2012, 04:10
Interesting re: the dark eldar snake, I want that model.

Isnt the bent sword a 30 second fix though? Ie. heat it and bend it back?

Jind_Singh
21-09-2012, 05:36
I have, in Finecast:

Cockatrice

LOVED IT! Detail was great, took me next to no time to clean and assemble - and still looking great - no pins, no hours of filing to make the body fit. Was my 1st ever model and I was impressed!

Lamasu

Pretty much same as the Cockatrice!

Empire General, Battle Wizard, Witch Hunter, Beastmen Shaman, Savage Orc on Boar

I liked them - the detail was good, my only concern is that the smaller and more delicate parts of the models, feathers, etc, have to be VERY well protected and looked after during assembly/cleaning/storage as they can break off very easily. Otherwise very happy

Orcs & Goblins Mangler Squig

This is the only model I dubbed FAILCAST a total of...THREE TIMES!

The weight of the model is such that all three leaned over - the bottom squig starts with his foot raised at least an inch - and by a few months BOTH feet touch the base - I then reheat the stupid leg, raise it, but it'll sag over time!

Azhag the Slaughter

Actually loved LOVED this model when it came out - but refused to purchase as I didn't want to assemble such a monster of a metal model - so finecast was the only way I would. I did have to go back to GW and they already had 2-3 open sets of this model - and I did about 10 minutes of mixing/matching to get the model I really wanted, i.e. no defects, but when all said and done it's a masterful model - my best ever!

Overall pretty happy - but I'm careful also when buying, especially clampacks, as I want to make sure it's not a dud purchase

Urgat
21-09-2012, 06:05
I still haven't bought any :p Finecast models all fall into either of two categories:
-models I don't like and so will only buy veeeery last if I ever feel like it's a collectible (manglers)
-models I love but I don't need, so it's too low priority compared to the pile of stuff I still have to paint (Azhag)

Spiney Norman
21-09-2012, 06:17

The weight of the model is such that all three leaned over - the bottom squig starts with his foot raised at least an inch - and by a few months BOTH feet touch the base - I then reheat the stupid leg, raise it, but it'll sag over time!

I had exactly the same problem, I think it's simply bad design because they didn't realise that finecast wasn't robust enough to support its own weight when the centre of gravity is so far off. I "solved" the bottom squigs leaning by placing a night goblin archer under his foot to keep the foot elevated, but the top squig then began to lean backwards off the top one. The only thing I have been able to do is store the model in a box, on its face and let gravity hold it in the correct position for me, which is gutting because I would dearly love to be able to put such an awesome model in my display cabinet.

My other finecast models have all been man-sized, which are by far the most prone to miscast and offer the least advantages over metal (models that size are typically easy to assemble in any material, and that is the only advantage of finecast over metal). The worst experience of miscast I had was my liche priest which I have to return to mail order 5 times to get a good one. When I recieved my third one (which had a shapeless nub or resin where his deck should have been and no head at all) I really began to wonder if they were quality checking them at all.

My necrotect was rather unsatisfactory as well, I never did get that whip in the correct position, despite assaulting it with hot water and a hair dryer at least a dozen times.

Morkash
21-09-2012, 06:20
I'm neutral towards Finecast, like I voted in the big Finecast thread in GW General.

I've got 5 miniatures in my active WHF buying time, which were:
- Golgfag Maneater: Insanely nice master model, unfortunately had quite a few bubbles on the under side of the model and the sword was very thin. Price was usual Ogre range, I would've preferred metal.
- Firebelly: Again, very very good master model, mine had 2 or 3 smaller bubbles and the arm didn't fit the body at all. Fortunately, Loctite industrial glue doesn't care about such banalities. The detail was very good and I think this is the only model I'd preferred in Finecast because it would constantly topple as metal model.
- Bragg the Gutsman: Well, he had quite some errors. For one, the gutplate was simply missing (fell out of the sprue somehow before packaging, I guess) and customer service said I would have to send them the model for investigation before I get replacement (I replaced the gutplate with a plastic one) and Bragg had some under-skin bubbles which only showed after priming. The weapon is prone to snapping. Would have preferred metal by a large deal.
- Empire Witch Hunter: Again an outstanding model with lots of details. I got a nice cast which means there were only very few bubbles on the underside of the model which are barely visible so I maybe won't even fix them. Wasn't cheap, but ok. Little difference if I got a metal edition of it, although I'd prefer the weight.
- Isabella von Carstein: My last one and according to the Finecast thread one of the few really nice ones around. Isabella doesn't have a single bubble (unless underskin, she's not primed yet) and many stunning details which I do not think would all be possible in metal. Only her sword was a little bent but apart from that she's amazing.

All in all? Some models were great, some were not. The miniature design is still ace, as most things from GW are. I still miss the weight and feeling of metal and prefer filling gaps over filling bubbles or removing moldlines without damaging anything, but mainly the price puts me down nowadays.

Karak Norn Clansman
21-09-2012, 06:55
I own a few Lotr Finecasts, and they're all fine. The only problem we have detected in my little hobby group is a burst bubble in the resin of one of Tyrion's feathers. I like Finecast because of its lightness and ease of assembly, especially for monster models such as the Hellcannon. I do however not like to pay ridiculous prices for models that are supposed to be cheaper to produce than metal miniatures and which on top of that also are prone to have defects. Lower the Finecast prices with about 35% and I'll be happy. :D

I'm not familiar with this, in my and my friends' opinions, disappointing model, but I think your problem may be solver if you drill deep into the lower squig's leg and preferrably in a straight line going up into the spheroid's body. Then pin it to the base with a needle, because needles are made to be strong for their thin width.

Daniel36
21-09-2012, 06:56
It is becoming increasingly apparent that the term "failcast" has applied mostly to models that were previously metal. I have two finecast models, the Cockatrice and the Witch Hunter, and both were absolutely great models and easy to work with, with hardly any faults in them. I think I had to fix a slight bit of feather on the Cockatrice.

So, new and original models seem to have very little problems, whereas the old "re-casts" are pretty bad.
So... don't buy the re-casts. >_<

ElBeaver
21-09-2012, 07:33
my most recent finecast was the chaos khorne exalted hero model (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440026a&prodId=prod1160055a&rootCatGameStyle=) and almost all the spikes (even the ones on the large skull on his belt) looked like a meteor-crater. I couldn't do much more than fill the holes with green stuff.
Sort of the same problem with my hellcanon (not so much though) + it had some weird holes at random places.

So far not very impressed. Maybe they are lacking quality control or failcasts may just be totally random and impossible to detect other than inspecting every single product.

Lord Solar Plexus
21-09-2012, 07:39
I'm happy with plastic. No need for any new-fangled stuff.

duffybear1988
21-09-2012, 07:48
Finecast would be OK if a) it wasn't called Finecast - frankly it isn't that fine, and b) it wasn't more expensive than the metals in most cases.

It costs so little to produce - why do some figures now cost 15 (I'm thinking of the Eldar phoenix lords here).

In 15 years of Warhammer I have had one miscast metal figure (an Elf phoenix guard). Everything else has been perfect or near perfect. Since Finecast came out, of the 10 models I have bought, all of them have been riddled with problems. When I have asked for replacements then they have been just as bad.

Maybe GW should have stuck with the metals for a few more years so that they had perfected Finecast before they released it to the general public.

Sh4d0w
21-09-2012, 08:11
People people people, finecast has made it possible to build models such as hydras, tomb scorpions and carrion without many hours of pinning. Therefore finecast is a good thing, what they should have done is left models that are only one part as metal.

Kalandros
21-09-2012, 09:17
Hydra took me a few minutes to pin.
Heck I even use a power drill to pin executioner draichs to the executioner models.

Not sure why people have a hard time with pinning.

Personal Finecast results:

Archaon... I decided to settle for a flawed one after opening 4 kits and combining the best pieces - the chest had a chunk missing but it was inside the cloak so greenstuff, smooth it down and its fine, no loss of detail on a flat plate. The claws on the cloak were all bad so I took the best and just greenstuffed - its fine now. All this cause I wanted it for a conversion haha.
Result: Failcast, but I still kept it.

Necron Characters
Had to return 3, the rest are all fine and with minor bubbles
Result: Okaycast

Necron C'Tan Nightbringer
Almost perfect, minor bubbles but overall happy
Result: Finecast

Dark Eldar Mandrakes for a conversion into Flamers
The bad parts were to be cut off anyway, minor bubbles otherwise
Result: Okaycast

The price increase however, is the biggest fail part of this.
I will not buy anything else in Finecast if I can convert it from plastic bits or get it from.. y'know, other sources of casting...~

T10
21-09-2012, 09:47
Anyone else have similar positive stories to share?
No. Finecast is a huge misnomer.

-T10

Frosty_TK
21-09-2012, 10:11
I must object to the idea, that pure finecast molds work better with finecast. I've bought two new Khemri models when they came out: The Necrotect and the new Priest. They where meant to be finecast I presume since they never had a metal predecessor.It took me 3 packages to find a suitable priest, 2 to find a suitable Necrotect. And with suitable I mean, still some bubbles left, and taking the staff out of one package, and the model from another. So it's not really mold related. I do, however, like their weight, and how easy I can handle them during preparation.
Yes, pinning is fine and I've done it to the Executioners' blades as well - but not having to pin at all beats it hands down. The methodology is in desparate need of further development.

Concerning the mentioned Watcher in the water repositioning, I would have loved a similarly easy process in repositioning my metal Hydra. That took a lot more effort to do, and involved some heavy tools ;)

lbecks
21-09-2012, 10:13
People people people, finecast has made it possible to build models such as hydras, tomb scorpions and carrion without many hours of pinning. Therefore finecast is a good thing, what they should have done is left models that are only one part as metal.

Finecast as a material isn't very good. It gets droopy and has weird properties. Some parts are rubbery, some parts are brittle. I would have preferred regular resin like they use for their masters.

tmarichards
21-09-2012, 10:40
I've never had any real problems with it. Both my treemen are finecast, and the small amount of time needed to correct and faults was a far, far shorter amount than if I'd had to pin, green stuff, glue my fingers to and then swear at metal models.

I prefer plastic as materials go, but in my opinion and experience Finecast is a definite step up when it comes to big modes. For smaller single piece models I do prefer metal though, but for no real reason.

The Low King
21-09-2012, 10:58
Love finecast.

My metal gyrocopter is stupid, it has broken several times just being in the case, and it comepltely explodes if i drop it. My finecast one is light, goes together easily and has survived a couple of crashes so far.

Finecast Cockatrice was beautiful, there is no way i would have got it to stay in its pose if it was metal. The only tiny defect was a slight bending in one wing, fixed in about two mins.

All my warmachines were fine, no defects. I paticularly like them because the shapes feel a lot sharper, more machine-like.

Finecast characters have all been fine so far, no defects. Detail-wise i cant see a huge amout of difference but i find the lack of the shinyness that metal has and the slightly sharper edges makes them easier to paint.

williamsond
21-09-2012, 10:58
I still don't buy fine cast, my buddies and I have just had too many problems with it to be honest. I would buy it if it was to the standard of the forge word resin but for me its just too rubbery and has too many faults and problems. I'm not saying its all bad( its easy to work with on large models) but the issue with melting bending needs to sorted out. One of my mates forinstance left his gw model case in the boot of his car for 2 days during the summer when he got them out they were all bent and miss shaped. I know its an easy fix but we're paying 28 for 5 figures these day i just expect better. It's nice to hear that folks are getting less faults now at least.

Djekar
21-09-2012, 14:19

I spent literal hours heating and reshaping the swords only to have them bend out of place again while they cooled. I'm willing to admit that I may have done something wrong though.

decker_cky
21-09-2012, 14:42
Azhag: Had to make 1 model out of 2 sets (first had some serious flaws such as bubbles in the details of azhag's face). Low weight and ease of gluing makes this better than the metal model.
Necron Characters: A bunch of bubbles needing repair (mostly out of plain view), but easily salvageable.
Khorne champion: 1-2 minor bubbles.

Decent quality. GW should be doing all the quality control on these models rather than me having to go through multiple $100 sets to get a usable model. Price increase is unjustified.

The Low King
21-09-2012, 15:54
Price increase wasnt to do with finecast, it was just a standard GW price increase. But yeah, better quality controls are needed.

decker_cky
21-09-2012, 16:12
Finecast currently available is more expensive than comparable metals currently available in almost all cases (a few monstrous infantry are exceptions). Ergo, it's a finecast price increase and not standard price increase. I think there would have been a much better reception if GW cited increasing metal prices as a reason, then raised all the metal prices, and priced finecast at the previous metal prices. They could have increased them to a higher price later, and everyone would have shrugged and said that's a standard increase.

Lower quality + higher price = bad optics.

Bellygrub
21-09-2012, 16:28
My experiences so far have been pretty fantastic. I love Finecast just because of how easy it is to work with. But I've always hated metal.

I have 16 finecast models and the only issue I've had has been some bubbles in the bottoms of an Ogres foot and a bubble in my Female Man Eaters tooth. Other wise everything has been perfect. I've had to bend a weapon here and there but I always had to do that with metal too.

TsukeFox
21-09-2012, 16:41

Just came back from A tournament and heard that a Tomb Kings Screaming Skull Catapult, with no provocation from outside forces, collapsed every piece.

TsukeFox
21-09-2012, 16:48
Interesting re: the dark eldar snake, I want that model.

2 seconds-

Going to snap it off and glue a whip onto it so that that the Slythe becomes my necrotect.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440231a&prodId=prod1340010a

Also I removed Most of the gun to make it look like an urn. On top of the "urn" arm I glued in a plastic Skaven plague priest book hand.

Ya finecast glues and models well but for the price we pay that cramp should be flawless.

t-tauri
21-09-2012, 17:01
Take it to the appropriate thread please (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?305436-Official-WarSeer-Finecast-Poll). Thread closed.