PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the death of the 40k MMO influenced the releases in 6th Edition?

jason_sation
22-09-2012, 23:28
I honestly thought at one point that the Black Templars would be the big thing in 40k with this edition (as opposed to Dark Angles) due to the amount of information a while back saying that the Black Templars would be the poster boys for the video game. Do you think Games Workshop would have released 6th edition differently if the MMO had come through as planned? Do you think any of the upcoming Chaos releases would have been known about by THQ and included in the game? How do you think 40k would differ if the game existed. I feel like the Dawn of War series has actually had sort of an impact on 40k, but I could be wrong.

sulla
23-09-2012, 00:03
Hope not. Dark angels make for much better poster boys for 40K. More layers to them than the Raaargh! Kill all foes! style of the Black Templars.

To be honest, I'm more surprised that the CSM in dark vengeance weren't fallen...

Chem-Dog
23-09-2012, 01:26
If I remember right GW got stung by the video-game tie-in army release once before with Ogres.

I'm not sure GW would ever tie in the release of an entire edition of one of it's flagship products with a licensed product produced by a third party, it's incredibly risky for little tangible return.

If a videogame shifts a few more units of faction X, that's all well and good, but I don't see GW doing it unless they have absolute control and that won't happen until they sprout their own VG development branch/subsidiary. if that ever happens.

zoggin-eck
23-09-2012, 01:45
If I remember right GW got stung by the video-game tie-in army release once before with Ogres.

What game had/was going to have Ogres?

Firaxin
23-09-2012, 05:30
Has it actually died? I could've sworn reading they'd just changed direction (since it became evident subscription-fee games were a dying breed).

Vaktathi
23-09-2012, 06:13
What game had/was going to have Ogres?

The original Warhammer online I think before Mythic brought their own version to market.

zoggin-eck
23-09-2012, 09:45
The original Warhammer online I think before Mythic brought their own version to market.

Really? The only concept art/early exports I saw looked more like the Mordheim Ogre than the newer style, and I still don't get how GW got stung by it. I'd be surprised if they went whole-hog with Ogres because of the original WH online.

Anyway, on-topic: I don't think it would have made much difference. Other than an Index-Astartes for Blood Ravens and squeezing them into paint scheme pages in WD and the Marine codex, the two Dawn of War games had little effect on 40k as a whole.

Dismembered
23-09-2012, 11:03
There was a 40k MMO? And it died?

Black Templars were the 3rd ed poster boys, they're not going to be 6th as well.

Kevlar
23-09-2012, 18:11
They laid off a bunch of people and are restructuring the game from MMO to single player. Which probably means they are taking all the code they have and just frankensteining it into something playable so they can make a buck.

I guess they figure if star wars can't make a profit their grimdark stuff has no chance.

PANZERBUNNY
24-09-2012, 05:39
A planetside 40k game couldn't fail. The people in charge of that crap simply lack vision to create a lasting title with broad appeal.

Cypher
24-09-2012, 06:00
40K MMO wasnt schedules to launch before 2013, so no I dont think there'd have been any overlap.

Vaktathi
24-09-2012, 06:16
To be fair, it's not that the team making the 40k MMO botched the game itself, it's that their parent organization had simply incurred too much overhead and was shipping titles that required 4 million sales units to make a return on, mostly because of licensing agreements, and it collapsed on them as are result.

m1acca1551
24-09-2012, 06:34
Dark millenium... no i don't think that it has had any effect in regards to the release... a game slated to be released in 2013 would not have any effect at all on a 2012 release same as if the released the game before the csm launch. Not unless there was some redeeming code you could take to a gw store to receive 10-15% or vice versa on your subscription fee.

On the other hand, looking at some of the new units being released i get a feeling that the dawn of war series where chaos becomes a playable race has had its influence. The raptors look like the in game unit cards in dawn of war, the aspiring champ also seems to be right out of the game along side the new dragon bird thingo... which is something i'd expect to see in a dawn of war series.

zoggin-eck
24-09-2012, 09:14
Think of how big a production Warhammer Online was in the end. Even it had little effect on WHFB as a whole. Some art has been re-used in GW publications, perhaps the look of a few units/models and inspiration for some studio terrain pieces, but not all that much otherwise.

Kulgur
24-09-2012, 13:48
Think of how big a production Warhammer Online was in the end. Even it had little effect on WHFB as a whole. Some art has been re-used in GW publications, perhaps the look of a few units/models and inspiration for some studio terrain pieces, but not all that much otherwise.

Warhammer online was pretty much a failure, particularly in europe where the support was awful and the number of servers was reduced too quickly when they didn't get the expected numbers. That it's still running at all never ceases to surprise me.

zoggin-eck
24-09-2012, 13:58
Warhammer online was pretty much a failure, particularly in europe where the support was awful and the number of servers was reduced too quickly when they didn't get the expected numbers. That it's still running at all never ceases to surprise me.

Well, I didn't ask if it was successful or not, or say that it was. The thread asks if the 40k equivalent would have made a difference to 6th edition 40k. If it went ahead as planned, they wouldn't have known it would or wouldn't be a failure. Hence why I don't think it would have made much of an impact on 40k, as we saw so little of fantasy change, even during the build-up to Warhammer Online.

I guess a similar point is how little the game "Space Marine" affected 40k, despite GW's love of Ultramarines. They didn't use it as a excuse to push Ultramarines, and the next 40k edition, presumably well underway, didn't feature them.

The bearded one
24-09-2012, 14:03
and the number of servers was reduced too quickly when they didn't get the expected numbers.

To be honest I think it's actually the reverse, in that they started with too many servers which spreads out the population too much. This game thrives and becomes fun with lots of players to fight your battles and besiege keeps, not when spread over 100 servers. If they hadn't reduced the number of servers after the initial surge of players was gone, they'd probably have lost even more. It's no fun if you're just 1 of 3 players in an entire zone. Of course this absurdly stupid statement from one of Mythic's top guys couldn't have helped them: "if a game is not adding servers, it's not doing well" --> que them merging servers 1-2 months later.

I doubt the 40K mmo influenced 6th edition, especially because it's far from done and too far off a release to influence eachothers sales.

wlavis
24-09-2012, 14:47
I doubt the 40k mmo would have affected their release, dawn of war made them do a couple of articles here and there on blood ravens but didn't ever make a real thing about them. the 40k mmo is still being released afaik but its just no longer an mmo. Warhammer online failed because mythic messed up time and time and time again and other games slowly stole their customers away as soon as the server numbers dropped enough most of the rest left, I still find a lot of people at my local store never even heard of it. Shame because it was a great game with a lot of potential

Bonzai
24-09-2012, 14:56
Yeah, the two are completely unrelated. THQ is fighting for it's life right now, and it will probably be a miracle if Dark Millenium ever sees the light of day. As it is, it is no longer an MMO, which saddens me greatly. Some people were happy with that, but for me you already have Dawn of War and SPace Marine for single player play. And what are the most popular features of both games? The multi-player parts that allow you to level and customize your own character. An MMO style 40K game would certainly do well. The fact that they are attempting to change it at this point means one of two things, either A. They hadn't done that much with it at this point, or B. It's going to be a cluster F---- and a total mess. Throw on top of it the major management changes, massive developer lay offs, and cancellation of titles, and it doesn't look to good for them. Which is a shame, as Space Marine and the Dawn of War series are some of my favorite games.