25-09-2012, 12:56
I'd guess Draigo/Paladin spam.

Fizzy
25-09-2012, 13:02
Agreed. I got 1000 pts of grey knights

That is 11 models.

IcedCrow
25-09-2012, 13:27
And now that wound allocation shennanigans were removed, it's actually fun to take on.

Blinder
25-09-2012, 13:57
And you can make jokes about it being cheap on several levels ;)

(In all seriousness though, that is pretty much the lowest model count/price for an army, so if you need something cheap and/or *actually* easy to store/transport, check it out. It's Grey Knights, in case you haven't seen the draigo/paladin terms in context)

Honorable Mention can probably go to either side of the starter box if you can find someone looking to get a couple boxes worth of the side you don't pick, especially if you aren't going to be able to use someone else's rulebook- $100 gets you the rules and a decent core of models, another $150-200 to nab the codex and some supporting units (a couple transports and a tank, or something) and you've got everything you need to get started. Won't be entirely optimized, of course, but it will be a reasonably "can go in most any direction" base to start from. Plus the models are not only nice but reasonably friendly to any level of hobbiest. More models though, so if small is a concern it isn't as suitable.

gwarsh41
25-09-2012, 14:30
Cheapest in $$? I don't know, but I know with space wolves you can do it for under 10 models.

Logan Grimnar +250(ish)pt

A bunch of Wolf guard on Bikes with TH/SS +100(ish)pt.

Wolf guard on bikes can be taken as troops with grimnar. so you take 2 sets of 3, you now have a list that should land around 1k pt for 7 models.

But wait, you want to expand? Why not have those wolf guard take a land raider with them +250(ish) more points.

Need even more? Wolves can take 4 HQ options, Njal stormcaller in TDA or Bjorn the fell handed, or even a TWC wolf lord, all cost over 250pt! You could have 4 HQ options take up 1k pt, and 2 troop choices take up another 600pt if you wanted.

FashaTheDog
25-09-2012, 14:39
If Forgeworld is your thing, an eight model Armored Battlegroup (Krieg or not, your choice) is actually fun to play and consists of nothing but Leman Russ and variants thereof. Treadheads like me are unconcerned about this scoring unit non-sense as what I cannot capture I shall crush beneath my treads, although now the list does have a 16.6% chance of having the HQ Russ being a scoring unit so there is that.

ehlijen
25-09-2012, 14:41
Cheapest in $$? I don't know, but I know with space wolves you can do it for under 10 models.

Logan Grimnar +250(ish)pt

A bunch of Wolf guard on Bikes with TH/SS +100(ish)pt.

Wolf guard on bikes can be taken as troops with grimnar. so you take 2 sets of 3, you now have a list that should land around 1k pt for 7 models.

But wait, you want to expand? Why not have those wolf guard take a land raider with them +250(ish) more points.

Need even more? Wolves can take 4 HQ options, Njal stormcaller in TDA or Bjorn the fell handed, or even a TWC wolf lord, all cost over 250pt! You could have 4 HQ options take up 1k pt, and 2 troop choices take up another 600pt if you wanted.

Blood Angels can do it similarly with Astorath and some tooled up DC in land raiders. Of course it'd be a silly army as it'd lack any scoring units.

Pandiano
25-09-2012, 15:07
So your threads so far are
- pick me an army!!!
- build me a Necron force
and
- how to get the cheepest army.

Mate, I think you should consider researching for yourself and decide if this hobby is for you. If you can't decide on an army, what to field and how many money you are willing to spend on this, nobody can actually help you.
Try going to your local stores or 40k clubs (if any) and try playing a little bit to get a feel for it. And start your force slowly, 750 points are enough to start with. And know what your budget is, it will suffer from this hobby.

the_picto
25-09-2012, 15:09
Draigo with some Paladins.

Logan Grimnar with some wolfguard (probably teminators).

Balial and some deathwing.

Dante and some Sanguinary guard.