PDA

View Full Version : Killing Blow and the bigger stuff

Akkaryn
25-09-2012, 18:25
So I was playing a game the other week against Empire. It was a Demigryph heavy list and I immediately thought that I was going to be screwed as I was playing Wood Elves. It was during this time I was told that the negating armour effect of killing blow still worked against the bigger stuff and you only needed heroic killing blow to auto kill rather than just do a wound.

I've read the rule for killing blow and I can't figure out why you would play it this way. But am I just being stupid?

Not that it mattered in the game mind as my Way watchers didn't fire a shot against them all game and just munched through the empire artillery.

AntaresCD
25-09-2012, 19:10
That is incorrect. I can understand the mistake based on the ordering of the sentences on page 72 of the BRB, but the rule is still pretty clear:

-Killing blow allows an automatic kill if you roll a natural 6 on the to wound roll and that allows no armor saves.
-However, it specifically states that Killing Blow only applies if the target is troop type infantry, cavalry, or war beast (or as added by the FAQ one of those types if it wasn't mounted).

Having no effect means that none of the rule applies. I don't see how you can get the ignores armor save somehow, especially since that is a portion of the autokill...

Having Heroic Killing Blow just removes the unit type restriction (ie it works on everything - except Swarms) and nothing else is changed.

Gary wyper
25-09-2012, 19:28
Naah if wood elves had that they might be competitive, so obviously they don't

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Artinam
25-09-2012, 19:57
A quick note, Heroic Killing Blow does not work on Swarms (the only exception), as noted Killing Blow wouldn't have worked on the demigryphs.

AntaresCD
25-09-2012, 20:30
A quick note, Heroic Killing Blow does not work on Swarms (the only exception), as noted Killing Blow wouldn't have worked on the demigryphs.
Ah yes, you're right, forgot HKB didn't work on Swarms. Does anyone even field swarms anymore?

T10
29-09-2012, 12:39
Yes.

-T10

Agoz
29-09-2012, 14:56
People haven't used swarms since 6th edition.

AntaresCD
01-10-2012, 17:40
Yes.

-T10
Out of curiosity, what swarms still see play, even ocassionally, in your experience? I've personally not seen any on a table yet and I know only a fraction of the army books even have them. What army role do you see said swarms in, typically?

Rudra34
01-10-2012, 17:46
Nurglings, bat swarms. I see these both all the time.

theunwantedbeing
01-10-2012, 17:49
Out of curiosity, what swarms still see play, even ocassionally, in your experience? I've personally not seen any on a table yet and I know only a fraction of the army books even have them. What army role do you see said swarms in, typically?

4 armies get them I think.

Vamps (spirit host, bat swarms!) used a lot
Lizardmen (jungle swarms) rarely used, people tend to just take skinks
Skaven (rat swarms) occasionally used
Daemons (Nurglings) used a lot of the time

Often they're used for mopping up smaller annoying units due to their high number of attacks per base.
Very handy for swatting war machines or even getting the drop on mages in units that think they're safe (10+ attacks vs a no-save mage often kills them)
Same deal vs buildings, they do throw out a huge number of attacks in those situations.

AntaresCD
01-10-2012, 17:57
Yeah I knew about the building trick, but of that list of 4 I've yet to play a VC using either (but only two games against VC, so yeah) and I've not seen Nurglings in all my Deamon games either. Guess my local meta just doesn't like the ones that you listed as more common. *shrug* Thanks for the list.

Quinzy
01-10-2012, 18:08
Also Tomb Swarms see some play.

Mr_Rose
01-10-2012, 18:29
Swarms are very good building assault units: First; a 40mm swarm base, despite being the same frontage as an ogre, takes up the same space in an assault party as a regular infantryman so you can get metric ass-loads of attacks and second; the modified combat resolution for assaulting a building vastly reduces the effect of the normal swarm deficiencies such as a lack of ranks and command.

SanDiegoSurrealist
16-10-2012, 19:29
Single swarm units are great for triggering Fanatics as well.

The bearded one
17-10-2012, 03:16
Aren't snotlings a swarm too?

Often they're used for mopping up smaller annoying units due to their high number of attacks per base.
Very handy for swatting war machines or even getting the drop on mages in units that think they're safe (10+ attacks vs a no-save mage often kills them)
Same deal vs buildings, they do throw out a huge number of attacks in those situations.

Too bad they're usually excessively high costed to the point of absurdity. Sometimes 50'ish points per base.

Jim
17-10-2012, 08:46
Interesting - I was about to post practically the same question about whether Killing Blow effects Demigryph's ( I play Empire and for some reason thought it did?!)

I think I may have been getting confused over the rules for a character on Monstrous Cav (ie Captain on a Pegasus) which as I understand it can still be Killing Blow'd?

Jim

Kalandros
17-10-2012, 09:14
Yep, characters that ride a mount can all be killing blow'd the normal way.
But anything non-character with the troop type Monstrous (Inf/Cav/Beast) requires Heroic KB and has an armor save against normal Killing Blow - which is something I'd like changed, normal Killing blow ignoring armor on a 6 for any target would be a fine ability. Many armies struggle against 1+ armor save spam.

Just make the Steam Tank immune to killing blow ;P