PDA

View Full Version : Dark elf Cold one knight ranks? (modelling)

Chaos Warlord
26-09-2012, 13:48
my gf ran into some trouble when arranging ranks on her cold one knights, it seems the tail is pretty much in the way for any second rank to be placed behind the first, im sure more people have run into this problem, im just curious how you solved it, does she have to put all the knights facing more or less to the right/left?

assistance and or pictures to show the solving of the problem would be much appreciated!

cheers

Omnichron
26-09-2012, 14:15
There's three ways I'd solve it:

1. Have cold ones stand slightly more to the side so that the second rank won't touch those tails.
2. Have the second line stand a bit up on added terrain to the bases. Like a little stone or such.
3. Have the cold ones tilt slightly upwads, meaning that the tail will fit under the head of the next one.

I didn't do the first point or last with mine, so I'm going for solution 2 when I'm adding more to the unit.

Artiee
26-09-2012, 14:23
A friend of mine did #2. Raised the second rank so it sits higher than the front rank.

Djekar
26-09-2012, 14:43
I turned mine at angles - the head at the front left and the tail coming off the back towards the right. I'll try to get some pictures. I had to play with it a bit before I did any gluing and I had to adjust while gluing them as well. Not too hard, just takes some time.

ExquisiteMonkey
27-09-2012, 01:34
I turned mine at angles - the head at the front left and the tail coming off the back towards the right. I'll try to get some pictures. I had to play with it a bit before I did any gluing and I had to adjust while gluing them as well. Not too hard, just takes some time.

I did this also, but you also need to take into account the width of the models (less so with the current plastics than the old battle cows), so that the knight's legs don't rub against the adjoining models.

Doing a couple of dry fits to the base with blue tac is probably the best way to experiment, if you aren't going to raise them.

Voodoo1
27-09-2012, 01:49
My cold ones are not slotted. So I moved the front rank closer to the front of the base and put the second rank closer to the back of their base.

Kalandros
27-09-2012, 08:24
Salt Dipping.

Heat salt on the stove, heat the tail on top of the salt, but not too long - just enough for the plastic to be malleable without losing detail.

Bend it as you need it and then let it cool.

Watch out for too much heat will damage detail and could leave finger prints.
If done properly though, you can do many different poses.

zoggin-eck
27-09-2012, 09:52
The hint is in the title, a "modelling" question might get more replies in the modelling section, or look for similar threads, but you've got a few good answers anyway.

I wish I had the sense to realize the problem when I put together mine. The other day I saw a blokes army, where he'd arranged a large unit successfully, and I was mighty jealous!

Red Metal
28-09-2012, 05:00
I would recommend option #1, as you can perpetually arrange the figures, so they touch without needing to add extra material to the bases, such as terrain. I've solved issues with many units this way.