PDA

View Full Version : Where to start reading

Baggers
27-09-2012, 08:11
Dear Warseer,

After watching all of the marvel comics, many times, I've decided that I want to start reading the comics. However, I don't know where to begin reading. There is just so much choice to chose from. I know that I want to read the following super heros.

Captain America
Spiderman
Iron Man
Thor
Hawk Eye
Black Widow
X Men
Hulk
Fantastic Four.
The Avengers

And I know there are films planned for Guardians of the Galaxay and Ant Man. So I would quite like to start reading them. I would also like to read about Batman (and yes I know he is DC). So where is the best place to start reading then.

Thank you.

Baggers.

Lars Porsenna
27-09-2012, 18:21
For X-men I would pick up the Essential X-men volumes (not the Essential Uncanny X-men!) The Essential X-men series starts with the "reboot" (IIRC ish 60?) whereas Essential Uncanny X-men starts from the beginning. I have quite a few volumes, especially from the early days and the definitive Claremont stories.

Speaking of the others, however, I picked up Essential Spider-Man, and there is quite a difference in writing if you are not used to early '60s Marvel...the writing is often more naive or child-like. I never finished the Spider man book.

Haven't gotten to the other ones on your list...

Damon.

Commodus Leitdorf
27-09-2012, 22:09
Yeah the essential collection is a good place to start if you want to go from the beginning (and not the Ultimate Universe beginning). As noted the writing is dated and it may be hard to read (unless you like that style which I actually kinda like).

Saruus
27-09-2012, 23:03
First things first, do you have a budget or do you plan on just acquiring these? If you have a budget, the problem with Marvel comics is that there are so many cross overs. If you don't have a budget, the great thing about Marvel is that there are so many cross overs. Also, there is a difference between Ultimate comics and the main Marvel story line, they don't interact at all.

Here's a budget list of what I think is essential
Captain America: There are several Brubaker omnibuses, all of which are worth reading.
Spiderman: Read New Avengers or Ultimate Spiderman
Iron Man: Read New Avengers
Thor: Thor had a reboot in 2008? that was pretty good. Thor tends to stick to himself so you can read that entire series collected with no problems.
Hawk Eye: Read New Avengers
Black Widow:Read New Avengers
X Men: This is assuming you're mainly interested in the current state of the Marvel Universe. There is before House of M mutants and post House of M mutants. Start with House of M, Whedon run of Astonishing X Men, Endangered Species, Messiah Complex. There is a lot of great old stuff though, check out Age of Apocalypse
Hulk: Planet Hulk, World War Hulk (and the Frontline spin off), Red Hulk
Fantastic Four: Eh
The Avengers: Secret War (Not great, but essential, by Bendis), New Avengers (this follows the events of Avengers Disassembled which is worth reading, it happens after House of M), Mighty Avengers, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Siege

There are several collections online that have everything after Avengers Disassembled arranged nicely. There's a lot of great stuff out there, especially older stuff, but these were the big story lines leading up to what is coming out today. I may have missed some stuff but I hope this helps.

Oh, and you can start Guardians of the Galaxy at #1 when it was rebooted a few years ago, but that reallly started with the Annihilation Wave event. It eventually gets into the War of Kings series for which you'd need to read the Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire and another X men book.

Daredevil is also really really good and worth looking into. Some of the collections (Brubaker omnibus) are rare and can get expensive so that may be a deterrent.

Good luck!

blackcherry
28-09-2012, 19:54
If you are planning to read xmen, it helps to read some of the 'classic' stories, as like any long running soap opera, xmen stories always have one footstep in a story that was published 10 to 20 years ago. The Dark Phoenix saga is a must read, just because so many stories refer to it. Age of Apocalypse is worth reading up on even if you don't buy any of it, as half a dozen characters from that story are still running around.

From modern story stories, just look for Grant Morrisons run on X-men, followed by Joss Whedons uncanny xmen run. Both were loved/loathed by fans but they gave the entire 'X-universe' a shot in the arm that was needed. After that, read House of M. It acts as sort of a reset button, reducing the number of characters around and making things a lot easier to read.

Now, DC...thats more my fortae :). Send me a PM and I can give you a few pointers :)

Grimmeth
01-10-2012, 15:05
I'm in a similar position, loved the films, love bits of the comics that I've looked at. No real idea where to start.
I'm thinking though I can kind of just take the plunge - most Marvel stuff seems to have a pretty good 'previously on' section that brings you up to speed, and wikipedia is rather useful to help with anything I have absolutely no idea about.
Then i can catch up on older stuff as it's recommended to me?