PDA

View Full Version : Fozzrik's folding fortress

danny-d-b
28-09-2012, 09:14
so I'm playing a game vs malarion in a skype game next weekend and as I've never seen anyone actually use one lets put fozzrik's folding fortress in my list to house my wizzard lord (light) and his crossbow buddies

however as I've never seen one in play no idea realy what to do with it, other than deploy it behind my lines- I've seen its been 'banned' from some torderments but is that due to having to find and extra wartower for anyone who showes up with one??

so in short I'm asking

1) have you ever used one or seen one use- and did it work as inteneded
2) am I using it the right way to make sure my crossbowmen and wizzard have line of sight and some protection
3) should I just give it up as a bad job and find some other way of protecting my wizzard (as my general has the 4+ ward armour and my BSB the 4+ ward amulate, both being in the front line

Malorian
28-09-2012, 12:15
The tower is banned because people will put almost all of their points into one unit and then put it and all the characters into the tower. Then they just need to have 2 cheap units outside.

It's an extreme form of point denial that works VERY well unless the scenario forces you to move. If anything attacks you just take it with cheap troops, pass your stuborn test, and keep going.

Generals of the empire are so cheap in and empire army that having a naked one back in the bunker for leadership isn't that big of an investment (far less than the gear you are putting them).

I also wouldn't use crossbowmen as a bunker as in general you will have units in front of your bunker and so they will constantly be at -2 to shoot plus crossbowmen are move or fire. Cheaper is better when it comes to a bunker.

AntaresCD
28-09-2012, 17:30
I also wouldn't use crossbowmen as a bunker as in general you will have units in front of your bunker and so they will constantly be at -2 to shoot plus crossbowmen are move or fire. Cheaper is better when it comes to a bunker.
In any standard tower you should have unobstructed LoS from the top of the tower to the enemy units around them unless your small units are in CC with them (so you can't shoot them anyway), your units are very large models, or your units are right up next to them. A second unit has to obscure LoS to the majority of the target unit (usually read as target unit's forward, visible rank) to count as cover according to the BRB. So if you are tracing LoS clearly to the whole enemy unit from the top of the tower (as you are allowed to do by building rules), you have a clear LoS and they get no cover.

Malorian
28-09-2012, 17:44
In any standard tower you should have unobstructed LoS from the top of the tower to the enemy units around them unless your small units are in CC with them (so you can't shoot them anyway), your units are very large models, or your units are right up next to them. A second unit has to obscure LoS to the majority of the target unit (usually read as target unit's forward, visible rank) to count as cover according to the BRB. So if you are tracing LoS clearly to the whole enemy unit from the top of the tower (as you are allowed to do by building rules), you have a clear LoS and they get no cover.

I was talking about if the tower was taken out and a standard bunker was to be used.

AntaresCD
28-09-2012, 17:47
I was talking about if the tower was taken out and a standard bunker was to be used.
Ah, my mistake then, I read that as the crossbow bunker being in the tower would have shooting issues. Outside a tower, yes, you are right.