PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Vampire counts

Deathbysoup
29-09-2012, 20:43
Had another crack a 2000pts lists today, seems pretty standard to take a big block of grave guard. Not sure this is a world beater though, any ideas?

2000pts Vampire Counts

Lords

Master necromancer lvl 4 w black periapt & seed of rebirth+265pts

Heroes

Vampire w sword of battle, heavy armour, shield, scroll & red fury+206pts
Vampire w fencers blades, heavy armour, shield & aura of dark majesty+171pts
Banshee+95pts

Core

60 Skellies with spears, screaming banner & FC+355pts

25 Zombies w standard+80pts

5 Dire wolves+40pts
5 Dire wolves+40pts

Special

Corpse Cart w balefire+105pts

34 Grave Guard w great weapons, FC & banner of barrows+488pts

5 hexwraiths+150pts

Moss
29-09-2012, 20:59
I like it; it's refreshing to see a list without your standard blender lord build.

What are your plans for the characters? I assume the necro goes with the zombies, but what about the vampires? Both with the skeletons? Both with the Lore of Vampires?

The only real changes I would make is to drop the Fencer's Blades and to maybe drop four GG. The vampire doesn't really benefit from the WS bonus as much as other armies' heroes might. Either replace it with another magic weapon or maybe give him quickblood or something. I say to drop the four GG because 30 seems just as effective as 34. Anyone who fights them will die anyway, and if they never see combat, you'll have saved yourself some points. Oh, and if you swap the spears for HW&S, that unit of skeletons will never die. Ever. Consider it.

Strategy-wise, I would watch out for runs at your bunker. You don't have many units, so some armies will be able to overwhelm you and get to your general. I would aim to raise a unit of zombies on turn 1 just to put a speedbump between you and faster enemy units. Alternatively, you can add another unit of 20 zombies using the points saved on the Fencer's Blades and GG. If not zombies, then maybe a unit of spirit hosts.

All in all, good list!

Deathbysoup
30-09-2012, 16:57
Cheers for the feedback, I have chosen to go for spears on the skellies because I really feel I need some extra hitting power in the army as all I have really is the Grave Guard. I am under no illusions that skellies are good in combat but with a few augments I think I can grind units down eventually. Not sure about the list though, I really want some more oomph. Maybe some crypt ghouls?

mo-man
30-09-2012, 20:53
ghouls are always good but you're gonna need a lot of them I wouldn't bother with the banner of barrows of your gg I would instead take the screaming banner on that unit give one of your vampire's fear encarnate and aura of dark majesty and put him in your gg unit that way they are taking fear tests on 3d6 discarding the lowest at minus 1 leadership and if you can find the points try and make one of them cause terror just to annoy ogre players. Trust me this little combo works a lot. I used it very well at last years throne of skulls and ended up winning best vamps, probably not because of this but it did help.

Kayosiv
30-09-2012, 22:48
Take out the Banshee and the Hexwraith's and add a unit of 4 wraiths and a banshee. That'll give your army another unit with some serious punch to hit the flanks.

If you're taking vampires on foot and not using enchanted shields or dragonbane helms you're doing it wrong. The armor save is cheap and helps keep those important characters alive.

Master of the Dead on your general will pay for itself with a single casting on turn 1, guaranteed.

Pay for a musician on those zombies. Swift reforms are worth it alone. Reduce the unit by 2 zombies if you have to in order to get it.

m1acca1551
02-10-2012, 05:11
ghouls are always good but you're gonna need a lot of them I wouldn't bother with the banner of barrows of your gg I would instead take the screaming banner on that unit give one of your vampire's fear encarnate and aura of dark majesty and put him in your gg unit that way they are taking fear tests on 3d6 discarding the lowest at minus 1 leadership and if you can find the points try and make one of them cause terror just to annoy ogre players. Trust me this little combo works a lot. I used it very well at last years throne of skulls and ended up winning best vamps, probably not because of this but it did help.

THIS!!! makes for a lot of fun :)

Wraiths for hex wraiths, not being able to march means they aren't going to be racing ahead of the battle line. Wraiths are simply awesome and really add some extra punch.

Your vamps are ok... but like oregami will fold under pressure. They really nedd a better save or some really potent offensive stuff. I'd run as the ld bomb with the skellies and the second you can have 2 ways...

hit stuff hard +A sword and potion of strength + red fury HA/Shield
Sturdy and capable of dishing out the hurt 2h weapon, HA/Shield Ward save 4++ red fury etc

Banshees... are ok... a cairn wraith in alongside the LD bomb vamp in the skellies would add terror... just saying is all... :angel:

Master of the dead is a must... buff that main unit till the point where it can win through attrition :) allows you some tactical incov flexibility.