PDA

View Full Version : My first ever warriors of Chaos army (2400 Points)

willieg
30-09-2012, 17:12
so i'm finally breaking my WOC virginity next week and i am taking part in a 2400 point battle. Not sure what my opponent is fielding.
Any advice would be very much welcomed

Lords

Sorcerer Lord - mark of tzeentch - dispel scroll - staff of sorcery

Heroes

Chaos Sorcerer - level 2 - mark of tzeentch - third eye of tzeentch - spell familiar

Exalted Hero - Daemonic mount - axe of khorne - shield

Exalted Hero - chaos steed - BSB (doom Totem) - mark of nurgle - shield

Core

6 x warhounds - scaly skin
6 x warhounds - scaly skin

5 x maurauder horsemen - full command - mark of nurgle - shields

20 x warriors - full command - shields - banner of rage
20 x warriors - full command - additional hand weapon - banner of rage

Special

9 x Chaos knights - full command - mark of nurgle

the plan is to have the 2 cavalry units on either flank and the two warrior blocks marching up the middle with the warhounds offering them protection.

many thanks let me know what you think!!!

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
30-09-2012, 18:25
Add in a block of cheap marauders with GW. I'd say 30+ at least. You can follow the trend of giving them the MoK. You're a little character heavy. I would take out the level 2 to help field the marauders as you only really need the one lvl 4. Also, it's kind of cheesy, but put the talisman of preservation on the sorcerer lord. He'll be able to stick around a lot longer. Not that you really want him in a combat because he might eventually have to issue a challenge. Is the staff of sorcery an arcane item? I don't have the WoC book - if it is then you've got two arcane items, just so you know. I like the fact you're bringing some fighting characters. Oh yeah, scaly skin on the warhounds isn't worth it, I would run them naked so they better fulfill there role as ultra cheap redirectors. If they get shot at so be it - they're cheap and at least you're more expensive stuff isn't. Hmmm. well try that out. I think having a cheaper expendable Marauders unit with GW will be very helpful. Many competitive WoC armies have one. Not that you have to be like everyone else though. Cheers.

Graxy
30-09-2012, 18:37
Here's my 2 cent:

Your sorcerer lord is illegal, you can't take 2 arcane items on one model. Past that, i wouldn't really advise Tzeentch on a level 4, since really, you're only looking for 2 spells: flickering fire and pandemonium, which its fairly likely for you to get on a lvl 2.

Exalted heroes aren't really worth your time other than for being the BSB or a disc/steed of slaanesh harrassment hero. The reasoning for this is that the army isn't exactly short of high strength and many attacks, as well as the fact that he'll be stuck in a challenge with a unit champion for half the game.

The doom totem is onl really worth it if you base your entire army around it using slaanesh/death magic, hellcannons, and abusing special choices (since most of them cause fear).

Scaly skin on dogs makes them too expensive for what they are.

You can't have the same magic banner on 2 different units. I you want to use banner of rage at all, use it on the AHW warriors, since shields can't parry when frenzied. Tzeentch also works well with shields since it stacks to give a 5+ parry in combat.

Hope I helped :)

willieg
30-09-2012, 21:44
cheers guys i'll take everything into account.
scaly skin is on the dogs due to me trying to make up the points.
i'll remove the staff from the wizard lord then.
i'll keep the banner of rage on the ahw block and put tzeenth on the shields.
the maurauders will have to wait until the funds are avaliable!!
every warriors of chaos model i own is included in this list!!

what you guys think of the tactics??
many thanks!!

Kayosiv
01-10-2012, 01:07
If you consider the Marauder horsemen a cavalry unit you are going to be disappointed, despite it being technically correct as they ride horses, it does not mean they are tough. They have poor hitting power without flails and even with shields are less survivable than chaos warriors. They can easily defeat similar chaff, but are unable to do much else except lend some combat resolution on the flanks, and even then they are fragile enough that you have to be careful what you charge.

Moss
01-10-2012, 01:39
If you consider the Marauder horsemen a cavalry unit you are going to be disappointed, despite it being technically correct as they ride horses, it does not mean they are tough. They have poor hitting power without flails and even with shields are less survivable than chaos warriors. They can easily defeat similar chaff, but are unable to do much else except lend some combat resolution on the flanks, and even then they are fragile enough that you have to be careful what you charge.
Yep, your marauder horsemen aren't going to do very much on the flanks on their own. I would drop their mark and give them something to throw so that they can take out enemy redirectors. They're what I consider "dangerous chaff." They can't be counted on to win a real fight, but they can take out opposing wolves/eagles/hounds if need be. They will also make your opponent think twice before exposing a flank to them. I would keep them near the knights so that the knights don't have to waste time dealing with opposing fast cavalry or similar units.

zielonkak
01-10-2012, 18:21
I would drop horsemen, second banner of rage,one of the mounts on your exalted and stick him in unit of warriors, cut the knights down to 7. With extra points I would try for a small block of marauders with shields and put sorcerer in it as a bunker. I would give the warriors with shields the MOT, also drop scaley skin on hounds. That's a start

Moss
02-10-2012, 00:00
I would drop horsemen, second banner of rage,one of the mounts on your exalted and stick him in unit of warriors, cut the knights down to 7. With extra points I would try for a small block of marauders with shields and put sorcerer in it as a bunker. I would give the warriors with shields the MOT, also drop scaley skin on hounds. That's a start
See post #4.

cheers guys i'll take everything into account.
scaly skin is on the dogs due to me trying to make up the points.
i'll remove the staff from the wizard lord then.
i'll keep the banner of rage on the ahw block and put tzeenth on the shields.
the maurauders will have to wait until the funds are avaliable!!
every warriors of chaos model i own is included in this list!!

what you guys think of the tactics??
many thanks!!

mo-man
02-10-2012, 21:19
Personally speak I would drop both the magical standards on your warrior unit's and give them mark of khorne, it works out slightly cheaper. I'd drop a couple of knights and give them the banner of rage and If you can find the points give your exalted hero a juggernaut instead of a deamonic mount, i'd also drop the shield on this guy as his armour is already gonna be a 1+. You don't really need full command on the maruader horseman the only bit of command they need is a musician. Try and find the points for throwing axe's as these guys should never be in combat their shooting will help a little. I'd also drop the mount for the bsb and put him in the unit with the hand weapon and shields unit. I would however keep the doom totem and with the addition points buy the gift which makes all fear, terror and panic checks caused by this char to be at -1 on your juggernaut guy. This way most things will be at -2 for fear, terro and panik from this guy as well as his awesome statline.