PDA

View Full Version : Challenge

Mezziah
30-09-2012, 21:59
Got a question.

If my Vamp lord on zombie dragon would charge a full ranked unit of, say 30 Men-at-arms. Their champion yells challenge and I must accept.
Then, my vampire rolls his attacks badly and only succeeds in making 2 unsaved wounds on the champion (1 that kills him, the other yields 1 overkill) for a total CR of 3 (2 for kills, 1 for charge).
When it's the dragon's turn to strike there is no model left to hit in the challenge, is his attacks then wasted?
Their unit has 3 ranks and 1 for their standard. This gives 4 CR and therefore forces my lord and dragon to lose 1 wound each with no save possible.

Is this how it works?

The same could happen for a Tomb King on a chariot I guess. If we "accidently" killed the champion with 1 impact hit, would then the lord not be able to contribute to the CR with his attacks?

Anyone who can answer this?

theunwantedbeing
30-09-2012, 22:03
This question is answered Here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?353497-Characters-mosterous-mounts-and-challenges).

Mezziah
30-09-2012, 22:13
Thanks alot! :D

Kayosiv
01-10-2012, 01:13
Do note that your dragon and Vampire lord do not take a wound each, just the dragon. They are considered one model for purposes of crumbling and the mount always takes wounds first.

Blkc57
01-10-2012, 03:44
Everyone is wise and smart in this thread. To answer yes, you lose combat by one, so one damage for crumbling is done, but the wounds are first applied to unstable ridden mounts before the character takes them. So only the dragon will take a single wound. BTW your tomb kings example is off though, the impact hits are delivered and resolved into the unit before any challenge can be issued, so they never go into the challenge, unlike a stomp which goes at the end of combat and is usually lost in a challenge.

T10
01-10-2012, 09:52
The same could happen for a Tomb King on a chariot I guess. If we "accidently" killed the champion with 1 impact hit, would then the lord not be able to contribute to the CR with his attacks?

No. The Impact Hits are resolved as shooting hits, so there would rarely be opportunity to allocate hits to the champion in the first place.

Also, challenges are issued after Impact Hits are resolved, at which point the character would be either dead or alive. It's like Schrödinger's champion, except that we get to look inside the box. So I guess it's not. Anyone need a cat?

-T10

oldWitheredCorpse
01-10-2012, 12:50
No. The Impact Hits are resolved as shooting hits, so there would rarely be opportunity to allocate hits to the champion in the first place.
-T10

This reminds me of the minotaur champ with a potion of toughness stopping a whole unit of charging chariots on his own because of poor interpretation of the rules for impact hits.

BTW, do single characters get a LOS! roll against impact hits if within 3" of a unit of the same troop type? There are people who claim this, because of the "distributed as shooting" == "shooting" rule interpretation.

T10
01-10-2012, 13:45
"Distributed as shooting hits" is not the same as "shooting hits". Part of the rules for shooting deal with how hits are distributed, and Impact Hits are close combat hits that use that same process.

-T10