PDA

View Full Version : For the Warmaster! Khorneguy does Pre Heresy - mainly Sons of Horus/ Thousand Sons

Khorneguy
01-10-2012, 19:45
So with the new Forgeworld book, I've decided to fulfill a long-standing hobby dream of mine and collect a Pre-Heresy force

The Sons of Horus are going to be my main pre-heresy force, seeing as they're the legion who drew me into 30k in the first place with the original opening trilogy of the HH novels, but I also have a bunch of Thousand Sons in the works, who I've been working on (very, very slowly) since Games Day 2011, to be used as Grey Knights or with the Chaos 'Dex until they get full 30k rules from Forge World.

I'm going to start, However with the Sons of Horus, as they're the most likely to be fielded in the forseeable future.

With this in mind, I've been trying to find a good colour scheme for them. This a lot harder than it sounds. They're described as having ocean green armour, which is great - when you're imagining it- unfortunately its a very hard colour to translate to a model in a way that looks good

So over the last few weeks I've painted dozens of test models for them, experimenting with different mixes of greys and greens and I've whittled it down to a few of the best. Now I need your opinion: which one (if any) works best? What improvements could be made? Most importantly of all though, do they look like Sons of Horus?

So which is the best?

(I should note that as these are all very different models, in various stages of completion, pay attention to just the green of their armour, rather than any other factors)

1, Eggadon?..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bNcGVQ0vWzc/UGhbZMz7zpI/AAAAAAAABHo/Xph2YTBAYOA/s320/DSC00436.JPG

2. Ekyzrie and Tarvuss?...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YzLYQoUGdwM/UGhi3UraDNI/AAAAAAAABIk/2scS9ZMpmVQ/s320/DSC00439.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pYJLf2BYLz8/UGhbypuCUqI/AAAAAAAABHw/Prf_KNv3aV4/s320/DSC00438.JPG

3. Goldaron?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f-Tm7Mp9eYw/UGhb-SDmi7I/AAAAAAAABH4/x6pCi-_2RRM/s320/DSC00440.JPG

or

4. Maladron?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KEfjdMc1dJQ/UGhcH4RvHnI/AAAAAAAABIE/lfVECaG01vs/s320/DSC00441.JPG

Personally I'm leaning towards number 2 or number 4, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I've deliberately not included the recipes I used, as I don't want how complicated the scheme is to affect peoples opinions - I don't mind taking the extra time on each model if the end result looks good.

So there you go guys, let me know your thoughts and opinions. It'll post more up soon. (Unlike my other plogs this should be regularly updated, as I've signed up for the Tale of 40k Painters with them)

ChrisMurray
02-10-2012, 13:24
Number 3 is not right in my opinion, so not that one. I also am not a fan of number one (1 and 3 are fine for other chapters etc just not SoH imo). I agree with you that 2 or 4 would look best. I like 4 more but am wondering as it looks darker would a fade from number 2 to number 4 (running from head to toe) work?

Khorneguy
12-10-2012, 00:52
Ok, so while I'm pondering the question of the colour scheme, I've been building some pre-heresy marines. Although I don't have the book yet, I've been basing them off what I know about the new book, based off my gleanings from the internet.

Ignore the traces of paint on them, most of the parts for these models have been rescued from old projects. You won't notice the difference once they've been repainted

Here's my Legio Praetor, Garus Morkaddon. As you can see, I've been quite conservative with his armament, sticking with a power sword and bolter. Chances are he'll have access to powerful and exotic weaponry, but there's no point jumping the gun. If I come across a must-have combo for a Praetor later, he can always be re-tasked as a squad leader

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-js8P-G57Oz0/UHdQOJVRqaI/AAAAAAAABJE/R_1eGrDRR2w/s1600/DSC00452.JPG

Next up is a basic Legionnaire with a bolter. I've given him a bolt pistol too, as apparently they carry them as sidearms. Like I said, nothing special, more of a test than anything.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-823GrGNhJEM/UHdQWGH08wI/AAAAAAAABJQ/9UJKB9jHbfw/s1600/DSC00454.JPG

Not much of a start, but there's plenty more on the way

Khorneguy
14-10-2012, 21:07
I sat down to build some more Sons of Horus this afternoon, but I kind of got distracted and ended up starting work on the Warmaster himself:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-koEtwci20bg/UHsUs0H7bvI/AAAAAAAABKg/v7UagkHkX7w/s320/DSC00473.JPG

As you can see, it's at a very early stage but I'm fairly pleased with how he's turning out so far. He certainly resembles the artwork I've seen of him, but obviously it needs a lot more detailing work, not least of which is going to be sculpting his head from scratch. I also need to source the Talon of Horus from the Abaddon model for his other arm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8KN-K3Z8STg/UHsU1tF0FCI/AAAAAAAABKs/CjXt8XexBxc/s320/DSC00474.JPG

In case you're wondering, he's based loosely off the Chaos Terminator Lord kit, with a lot of plasticard and green stuff additions. The rest of him is going to be made pretty much from scratch, which will be a rather nice test of my scuplt skills. I'm really looking forward to it.

Gorthaur
14-10-2012, 22:14
Horus looks pretty interesting so far. Honestly out of the green schemes I can barely tell the difference between them though it may just be the pics. I honestly don't think any of them look exactly suitable for how the Sons of Horus are now represented in the fluff. Because now the light sea green is a metallic blackish green. Cant blame you though, I still don't know how I am going to paint my Sons of Horus. It is a rather frustrating look to pull off, I have tried mixing all kinds of greens, greys, blacks, and metallics and still cant get it to look like it popped right out of the pages of Betrayal. Though I have gotten quite close.

The Sons of Horus is easily one of the most challenging legions to paint decently, compared to the incredible simplicity of the World Eaters, Iron Hands...and so on.

Khorneguy
14-10-2012, 22:55
Horus looks pretty interesting so far. Honestly out of the green schemes I can barely tell the difference between them though it may just be the pics. I honestly don't think any of them look exactly suitable for how the Sons of Horus are now represented in the fluff. Because now the light sea green is a metallic blackish green. Cant blame you though, I still don't know how I am going to paint my Sons of Horus. It is a rather frustrating look to pull off, I have tried mixing all kinds of greens, greys, blacks, and metallics and still cant get it to look like it popped right out of the pages of Betrayal. Though I have gotten quite close.

The Sons of Horus is easily one of the most challenging legions to paint decently, compared to the incredible simplicity of the World Eaters, Iron Hands...and so on.

Definitely agree with you there. Sons of Horus are the hardest legion to get right. I think Ive got the trick of it now, I'll post up the results soon :)

Khorneguy
15-10-2012, 12:37
Here's the squad I started building yesterday before I got distracted with Horus. It's nothing too fancy, just a WIP on a bolter squad (you can see some with missing heads at the back)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DqUkIoiVSZg/UHsX804zZfI/AAAAAAAABLM/sBf9iQSdt-k/s320/DSC00477.JPG

I've been quite inventive with their armor, considering how expensive the Heresy-specific parts are from bits websites, even the ones from the basic tactical squad kit. I've included Mk 7 parts in there, but I'm going to be adding studs and rivets to them to make them Mk 5 and adding a green stuff disc onto each of their right shoulder pads, to be painted up as the Eye of the Warmaster. When I do my Forge World order and get some proper Sons of Horus pads, these guys are going to represent Legion Veterans, with the eye denoting their favour with the Warmaster

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-REw5tA1ZdBE/UHsYGg2NOsI/AAAAAAAABLU/9t-fankkXIo/s320/DSC00478.JPG

These guys are taking a lot more work to model than I anticipated, but I think I'm cranking them out at a good pace. I've signed them up for a few online painting challenges, so I should keep up the rate of progress. I need a 1750 point force ready to go for next February, ready for a league at my local club. Not an impossible task by any means, but I can't afford to let up my pace on them.

SultanGrayus
16-10-2012, 12:12
i like what you've done with your models so far mate, especially the use of the bezerker with the bunny ears snipped off... i have a lot of them in my EC force :)

as you progress with the modelling be sure to keep us updated with pics and details :)

Khorneguy
19-10-2012, 01:17
i like what you've done with your models so far mate, especially the use of the bezerker with the bunny ears snipped off... i have a lot of them in my EC force :)

as you progress with the modelling be sure to keep us updated with pics and details :)

Thanks dude. The de-bunny earing of beserker helmets is surpirsingly overlooked most of the time, considering how pre-heresy modellers tend to seize on the tiniest hint of pre-heresy goodness. It's a shame, as it's the cheapest way to get hold of Iron Armour/ Mk3 helmets :) Should be an modelling update in the next couple of days, plus a conclusion on the colour scheme conundrum, so just keep an eye out :)

Khorneguy
19-10-2012, 19:05
So, so after a chat with the guys down at GW Cambridge and a little experimentation I've finally hit upon the perfect recipe for the green of my Sons of Horus.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D6QKYEAC34M/UICUpmLqaUI/AAAAAAAABNI/A6_n8b83w9Q/s320/DSC00505.JPG

It's a surprisingly simple recipe, using Astronomican Grey as as base coat, a 50/50 mix of Waywatcher Green and Nuln Oil, then a liberal wash of Colicia Green. It's created precisely the shade of green I imagined, in a way that's fairly quick and simple to achieve, so I'm an incredibly happy bunny right now :D

I actually can't believe how simple it was in the end, considering that I've been experimenting with various combinations of shades and washes for a couple of months now with not the greatest of results.

I'm glad I've finally hit on it though, considering that I've been on the verge of dropping out the Tale of 40k Gamers due to the problems I've been having.

Once again though, Forgeworld seems oddly attuned to my thoughts. I returned home to find that they'd put up a painting guide for the 4 legions from Betrayal, while I'd been out. Oh well. My way is far simpler and looks far better, in my opinion.

Khorneguy
21-10-2012, 20:50
Just a quick update for today, seeing as I finally have my copy of Betrayal. As you can imagine, I've been reading it pretty much constantly

However, having nailed the colour scheme for their armour, I felt I should post up my progress on what's likely to be my first finished model:the Legion Praetor:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pjS6zs_YAog/UIQq2bs2AxI/AAAAAAAABNo/93MIOARxFT0/s320/DSC00523.JPG

As you can see, there's still plenty to do, but you can get an idea of where I'm going with him from the picture. I might replace the Bolter with a Archeotech pistol, but for now he's fine as he is. I need to consider my final army list before I do anything rash like that

I'll post more progress on him soon

Khorneguy
23-10-2012, 20:30
Ok, having devoured the army list (still working through the fluff), I've put together a rough 1750 Sons of Horus list, built very firmly on the legions principle of 'kill the head and the body will die'.

Mainly it's there to tell me what I have to build and paint, but I plan to add the more exotic units in there once the basic are out the way.

You'll also notice that the list is a very low points value for a Legion force. Ideally I'd want to build to at least 2500, so I can include some fun toys in there, but for now I'm building this force for use in a league that starts in February, which limts me to 1750.

Anyway, enough with my rambling, here's my list:

'Kill the head and the body will die' - 1750 points Sons of Horus

Captain Markus Morkaddon - Praetor with Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Bolter, Meltabombs, Pride of the Legion

Marius Kazon, Master of Signals

Vorrban Veteran Squad - 9 men, legion vexilla, 5 power weapons, Seargent has thunder hammer, units has snipers
In a Dreadclaw

Arkkan Veteran Squad - 9 x men, 5 x power weapons, 2 x plasma guns, vexilla, snipers, seargent has lightning claw
In a Dreadclaw

Legion Tactical squad Myrkkar - 10 men, nuncio-vox, vexilla, sergeant has power fist

Apothecary Detachment - 2x Apothecaries with Augury scanners

Storm Eagle, 'Talon of Horus' - Twin multi-melta, lascannons, armoured ceramite, searchlight

Drukkakal, Deimos Pattern Predator - Plasma Destroyer, Extra Armour

I know it's still a fairly fragile list, but I think it could work with a bit of finesse and clever tactics. Either way, I now know exactly what I have to build.

I'll post more soon

Khorneguy
28-11-2012, 15:30
It's about time I posted some stuff up, so here we go:

Here's my Master of Signal, Marius Kazon

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dd-QNnhf1yE/UKwR3C1NtuI/AAAAAAAABY4/w7yWYmsjfaM/s320/DSC00648.JPG

I know Forgeworld have just put up the Legion Champion and Master of Signal set, but I just put in a large order about a week ago, just a little too early to grab those guys at the same time. I would've probably only ended up using the Master of Signal anyway, so I was probably better off building my own. If i grab the set later, this guy can always be demoted to a Nuncio-operator in a Tactical Squad, but for now he makes a nice HQ choice.

I tried to get across the impression that this guy is a veteran who's served alongside my Praetor since they were inducted into the legion together on Cthonia - hence the massive beard. The head is plucked straight from the Space Wolves sprue and his backpack is simply the IG vox caster.When I get paid I'm going to be picking up some guitar strings to cut up and add cables linking it to his suit, but for now I'm happy with how he's turned out.

I'll post more up when i get my camera working again, including some Thousand Sons!

Completing him has given me the two main characters to lead my force, so my next step is to start work on my Veteran Tactical Squads in mkIII armour when my order arrives. Hurry up Royal Mail!

Khorneguy
26-12-2012, 17:50
Hi guy, I havn't posted for a while, but now that I've got some time off uni and my family obligations over Christmas are out the way, I can dedicate some time to my Sons of Horus.

My Forgeworld order unfortunately still hasn't turned up. This is bugging the hell out of me, as it contains all the suits of Iron Armour I need and a Stormeagle, leaving me with just a few bits and pieces to be working on while I wait. Right now, I'm rifling through my existing projects to see what can be requisitioned for the Warmasters cause, but for now, I'll post up some background I've written for what I have done already.

So here we go...

Markus Morkaddon

Markus Morkaddon is a true veteran of the Legion, having been inducted into the Luna Wolves with the first batch of recruits taken from Cthonia after the finding of Horus. He soon distinguished himself in the service of the Imperium, fighting with the ruthless ferocity and charismatic manner that had served in well in his previous life as second-in-command of a deep-mine gang. Such were his abilities, he soon found himself promoted to officer, having impressed no less than Hastur Sejanus during the Drumar campaign, where he rallied the remnants of the 15th company after they were cut off and surrounded by Eldar, driving the Xenos before them in a torrent of bolter fire.

After this incident he was promoted to the now-vacant post of Captain of the 15th Company, the honour being bestowed by Lupercal himself. This action took him from line trooper to captain in one bound, a previously unheard of achievement. This prompted many comments from amongst the Legion high command. Whilst none could doubt his abilities and little was said to his face, there was feeling amongst the more bellicose and prideful members of the command structure who felt he did not belong there. 1st Captain Ezykle Abaddon was chief amongst his detractors, although it was said that Sejanus of the 2nd defended the young captain, reminding the 1st Captain that he had been young once and not as long ago as he’d like to think.

As the Great Crusade drew on, spreading the Imperial Truth across the galaxy, Morkaddon and his company distinguished themselves with honour, although they were always overshadowed by the other companies. They became known as the‘Fated15th, for their knack of surviving impossible odds, favouring tactics which utilized mobile squadrons of Stormeagles to act as a hammer to the massed Tactical Squads that served as the Anvil, Using their almost uncanny luck to carry them forward, they earned a reputation for pulling off daring skybourne assaults with unerring efficiency, epitomized by their taking of the Garrasii Skydome over Tinus III without a single casualty.

They also developed a friendly rivalry with Garviel Loken and the Tenth Company. The two companies were often paired up in theatres of war and constantly strove to outdo each other. Despite the fact that the 10th company often took the lions share of the glory from these actions, Morkaddon and Loken remained fast friends.
After the Luna Wolves were renamed the Sons of Horus and the Warmasters wounding, it became clear that despite this friendship, Morkaddon was loyal to the Warmaster through and through. He distanced himself from the 10th Captain, having an inkling of what was coming through his association with the Warrior Lodge.

As the first wave descended on Istvann III, he watched impassively as the 10th Captain and his men dropped to their doom, not even flinching as the firestorm engulfed the planet and fighting with grim determination in the ground war that followed. During the war against the loyalists, Morkaddon had the impression that his devotion to the new cause was in question, due to his previous friendship with the leader of the resistance. It was because of this, that after a particularly bloody ambush by loyalists that he vowed to hunt down the 10th Captain and present his head to the Warmaster himself to prove his determination in the new order. As history records, it was not Morkaddon that reached the Captain first, but Ezekyle Abaddon, drawing much ire from the 15th Captain.

The gears of war ground on and as the Dropsite massacre unfolded, the 15th formed a mobile reserve force, hemming in the Salamanders as they made a bid for freedom,. Having equipped the company’s Gunships with Multi-Meltas before taking to the field, he took grim satisfaction in destroying the Sons of Vulkan from the air, using the very weapons the Warmasters enemies specialized in the use of. It rankled Morkaddon not to have gained a place at the Warmasters side in the greatest battle of the age, but being the ever-dutiful son, he did not speak of his wounded pride.

I have more to add than this, but what do you guys think so far?

I'll add model progress soon :)

Khorneguy
31-12-2012, 00:41
The Draconis Campaign

After the Dropsite Massacre the Warmasters forces were spread wide across the galaxy, tasked with securing strategically vital systems for his cause. The 15th were sent to the Draconis Sector, along with a small detachment of Thousand Sons, newly pledged to the rebellion, who needed to rearm and resupply after Prospero. The forge worlds of Draconii III and IV seemed the perfect opportunity to do this, being one of the largest production centres for Astartes battle plate and munitions outside of the Sol System, yet only having a small Skittari presence and a token Imperial Army force for its defence – this far from the frontier, there seemed little need in the eyes of Terra to defend it heavily and news of Horus’ treachery had not spread to the sector yet, with the warp disturbances conjured by the Warmasters deamonic allies cutting off all forms of communication in and out of the system.

Accompanying the 15th was a detachment of Catulan Reavers, seconded from the 1st Company, apparently to lend their fighting expertise to this vital mission, bolstering the 15th’s strength after the heavy casualties taken in the Istvann campaigns, but Morkaddon and his men suspected there was more to the secondment than that. Aphaldon, the leader of the detachment had earned the bloody epitath of ‘the Executioner’ during his career in the Reavers and answered to none save the Warmaster himself. Morkaddon suspected his loyalty was still in question and should he show the slightest wavering in his resolve, then the Executioner may well have earned another head for his tally.

Powering into the Draconii system, the flotilla easily smashed aside the outer defences, taking the agri-worlds of Draconii VI, VII and Draconii Extremis in short order, having been initially greeted as friends. What defence systems had existed were destroyed as the 15th launched lightning speartip strikes at the silos where orbital lasers were held, putting them out of action before the defenders even realized that they were betrayed. Having crushed what resistance there was, Regiments of Imperial Army soldiers were left on each world to maintain the Warmasters rule, while the Astartes pushed deeper into the system.

Camilus Tybalt of the Thousand Sons and his Corvidae adepts proved vital in negotiating the belt of asteroids and debris that ringed the inner planets of the system, which as the flotilla soon learned were seeded with anti-ship mines. Word had clearly somehow been sent from the outer worlds of the betrayal of the Astartes. The Lucan was lost, as well as the escort group ‘Ankh’, but the fleet made it through relatively unscathed, eager to get to grips with their primary targets.

They blockaded Draconii IV, crippling the majority of the orbital platforms and capturing the rest, raining death on the planet below. The Forge Fleet held in high anchor was scuttled after a series of bloody boarding actions to salvage everything of worth, swelling the Warmasters forces supply of Mk IV and Mk VI plate that was due to be shipped to the crippled Raven Guard on Deliverance. They also captured several experimental weapon systems, which Morkaddon ordered to be mounted on the company’s Predator Tanks for use in the coming war.

As the war began in earnest, a series of Speartip strikes were launched on the high spires of Draconii IV, led by Janus Vannor and Korin Zarhaddon, intending to cripple the enemy command structure in one blow. Their adversaries were one step ahead of them though, retreating into the hive depths and digging in. This turned what was intended to be a swift, brutal execution into a gruelling urban war of attrition…

Khorneguy
10-01-2013, 00:04
There's still no sign of my Forge World order, despite an email from them saying it's finally been dispatched. I'm not allowing that hold me back though, as I have a huge pile of parts I've both accumulated from Bitz websites and scavenged from previous projects.

First of all I've been working on Darrus Kyrbarr, the Sergeant of one of my Sons of Horus Tactical squads.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JgO8qsHbCVM/UOxYTRtIJCI/AAAAAAAABbI/BmpGchyuD5E/s320/DSC00752.JPG

The idea behind this squad is that as a post-Istvann force, they're beginning their descent in chaos - hence the use of Chaos Space Marine parts, mixed with the 'classic' Pre-Heresy elements, like the greaved legs and cabled torso.
It's not clear from this picture, but also I've modified his Bolter so that the magazine is further forward than the 'modern' version of the gun. Here's a picture that shows it better (even if it doesn't show off the rest of the model so well)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kvg43Caz_W8/UOxYZEVUPYI/AAAAAAAABbY/p1k8iDDHAZA/s320/DSC00760.JPG

All in all, I think he makes for quite a brutal, predatory-looking model, which suits the back story I'm writing for him. I'll post it up as the rest of the squad progresses and I get him fully finished, as the power fist still needs serious work before I start adding freehand Cthonian runes and glyphs to him

I've also been working on my Thousand Sons, but progress is as slow as ever (those of you who follow my blog might notice I've been working on this same guy for over a year).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YvxRKcFjmS8/UOxYY1-BANI/AAAAAAAABbc/h62MtOgTYtA/s320/DSC00765.JPG

Apart from his eyes, I'm finally happy enough with this guy to call him done. He's going to be performing double-duty as a member of a Legion Seeker Squad, or as a Sternguard Veteran when I'm not allowed to use the HH army list (Boo! Hiss!).

So there you go. I'll post more up soon, as I've got a few weeks off uni to really focus on hobby stuff. For now though, Happy Gaming!

Khorneguy
10-01-2013, 19:29
My order finally arrived!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bv51vzkSnXg/UO8OKz646CI/AAAAAAAABd8/EE0oAFJAs3U/s320/DSC00808.JPG

After weeks and weeks of waiting, it finally got through, swelling the ranks of my Sons of Horus immensely, as well as giving me the Betrayal book, which is well worth the wait. It's a beautiful tome, which i plan to be spending tonight absorbing thoroughly before starting on the models in the morning.

Taking stock of everything I have (including WIP's and ready to build), I now have the following for my Pre-Heresy forces

20 Thousand Sons
3 Thousand Son Librarians
40 Sons of Horus Bolter marines
5-6 SoH characters of various descriptions
5 Justerian Terminators/ normal Cataphractii, depending on how I want to field them
2 Dreadclaws (to be made from the Drop pods)
7 Destroyer Marines
1 Vindicator
1 Aegis Defence Lines
1 Rhino, about to be turned into a Predator
2 Apothecaries
3 Scratchbuilt Jetbikes
Parts for another 20 Marines on the way from Bitz Websites
Horus himself

So as you can see, there's plenty to keep me going. It's going to be a very busy, but fun few months for me.

For now though, I'm off to read Betrayal. See you soon!

Khorneguy
11-01-2013, 14:39
Having dived head first into my box of Forge World Goodness, I have my first marine ready to go. Allow me to introduce Sergeant Jannus Vannor of the Sons of Horus.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ip1EunHyQ9w/UPAgzKW7k1I/AAAAAAAABeg/eqly7EzRpXs/s320/DSC00821.JPG

He's going to be leading one of my Veteran Tactical Squads. It was a fairly simple build, pretty much straight from the box, with the addition of a head from the Mk3 Command and a Mk3 Lightning claw from the FW power weapon set. I personally think he looks awesome, but what do you guys think?

I've also been working on the bases for my Justerian Terminators:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-A4PFQISEa-k/UPAg0U0VfmI/AAAAAAAABek/GXZniFRoKq4/s1600/DSC00823.JPG

But more on these later...

Khorneguy
12-01-2013, 21:11
Introducing the first half of my first Veteran Squad, or (as my flatmate has dubbed them) the 'Dirty Half-dozen'

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QPBEx3OltA8/UPC_T6voktI/AAAAAAAABfM/V2UAi7zqRTE/s1600/DSC00851.JPG

(sorry for the slightly blurry pictures)

I spent yesterday building these guys, using parts from both my Forge World order and my bitz box. They're nothing too special, with the odd skull hanging on their belts and a few head swaps

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u6cPLCRmyvs/UPC_l-ELvPI/AAAAAAAABfU/vOqA2rCRLYk/s1600/DSC00843.JPG

I'm still looking for some bolters to give them, as I didn't order any from FW (due to a stupid oversight on my part) and the fact that i can't seem to be able to find any anywhere, despite me having hundreds of the bloody things lying around somewhere.

However, on the other hand, it gives me an opportunity to customise their weapons to make them stand out as veterans.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TnFnUEbApIA/UPHFOJIjchI/AAAAAAAABhY/dDpFc6evcOc/s1600/DSC00855.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UqX6JYAqfCk/UPC_niYIUpI/AAAAAAAABfc/X5-I1g6Tjb0/s1600/DSC00845.JPG

Khorneguy
14-01-2013, 00:53
Here's the first of my Justerian Terminators, Barik Zorrin, armed with a pair of duelling blades (counts-as Lightning claws).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ijq1H5VKnCg/UPDArRLXwEI/AAAAAAAABfo/XZnS6HRsdLY/s320/DSC00827.JPG

The kit was a joy to put together, easily one of the best that I've had from Forge World. So much so that it's a real shame that my initial plan for my list doesn't include more of these guys.

The idea for using the swords as claws came from the fact that I refuse to buy several of the weapons kits just to get the mix of weapons I want in the unit. Instead I just took them from the Mk3 Weapons set (which is also fantastic, despite the price), giving him something a little unique to mark him out as the Elite of the Elite. With the DA book just out, I'd be very interested in seeing how these guys fare against the new Elite of the Elite: the Deathwing Knights.

Anyway, I'll post of the rest of his unit soon, plus their converted Dreadclaw transport, which I spent most of today building, causing much frustration (more on this later)

Khorneguy
14-01-2013, 00:55
Finally got the fething thing finished.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xI5g0HI-I48/UPNTOSUFr0I/AAAAAAAABh8/AXrDVFK6DRM/s1600/DSC00857.JPG

It seemed a simple conversion, just flip the fins round, right? Wrong. It took nine hour of tinkering and adjusting, punctuated by several frustrated rants to friends. Whoever designed this kit should be shot. Seriously, it was hell. But at least it's finally done.

The good news is that my Justerian have their transport, explained in my army background as a modified Dreadclaw to facilitate the easier deployment of Tactical Dreadnought Armour. This gives them the ablity to become an intercept and destroy unit in the games where I'm not using Orbital Assault or fielding Horus himself

The bad news is I need five of these for my finished army. Sigh

Khorneguy
15-01-2013, 23:24
I spent the day working on my first two FW Sons of Horus Veterans, so I thought I'd share what I've done so far.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--yGCck9X5PY/UPXdptE8jQI/AAAAAAAABik/jzgIwsrrTsU/s320/DSC00874.JPG

As this army is going to become my main army (at least until Thousand Sons get HH rules), I'm taking my time and lavishing care and attention on them. I used the same recipe for the green of their armour as I did for my Praetor and Master of Vox, but used less Nuln Oil and Gryphonne Sepia on the metals, for fear of losing the details in all the grime.

I'll post more as they progress, but what do you think so far?

Also, before you go, take a look at this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sMAlgkp2PxY/UPXdpeNGbWI/AAAAAAAABig/M4qF3VejRXM/s320/DSC00862.JPG

More on this strange device soon, but I'd like to hear your ideas on what it could be/ what it's going to be used as. A cookie to anyone who gets it right (you won't)

baphomael
16-01-2013, 01:12
I spent the day working on my first two FW Sons of Horus Veterans, so I thought I'd share what I've done so far.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--yGCck9X5PY/UPXdptE8jQI/AAAAAAAABik/jzgIwsrrTsU/s320/DSC00874.JPG

As this army is going to become my main army (at least until Thousand Sons get HH rules), I'm taking my time and lavishing care and attention on them. I used the same recipe for the green of their armour as I did for my Praetor and Master of Vox, but used less Nuln Oil and Gryphonne Sepia on the metals, for fear of losing the details in all the grime.

I'll post more as they progress, but what do you think so far?

Also, before you go, take a look at this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sMAlgkp2PxY/UPXdpeNGbWI/AAAAAAAABig/M4qF3VejRXM/s320/DSC00862.JPG

More on this strange device soon, but I'd like to hear your ideas on what it could be/ what it's going to be used as. A cookie to anyone who gets it right (you won't)

My first assumption was that Kaban engine thingy. Then again.

Khorneguy
20-01-2013, 04:13
My first assumption was that Kaban engine thingy. Then again.

Well you got what it is right, but not what it's used as (the Kaban Engine has no rules, unfortunately).

It's close enough though, so here's your cookie :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Pepperidge-Farm-Nantucket-Cookie.jpg/320px-Pepperidge-Farm-Nantucket-Cookie.jpg

It's a Dark Mechanicum Battle Engine, partially inspired by Dave Taylors recent work on his own Adeptus Mechanicus. I based it loosely off the descriptions of the Kaban Engine from the HH Series, but with my own spin on it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4X22cMfPezI/UPtpt3va1OI/AAAAAAAABjY/Q-7Md8oiyRE/s320/DSC00936.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WqMlu-JsAcc/UPtptWbZ-aI/AAAAAAAABjU/UrfsW7Agni8/s320/DSC00930.JPG

In game, it's designed to be used in a number of roles, mostly as a Rapier Laser Destroyer, but it can also be a Dreadnought at a push, or anything on a 60mm base.

It started as a way to avoid shelling out 30 plus postage of a Rapier from FW, plus a way including something in my HH force that wasn't in Power Armour, but it then grew into something more. It could conceivable be used in all my 40k forces (barring perhaps my Space Wolves), from my Blood Pact, to my Thousand Sons, CSM, Daemons, or, as I said, my Sons of Horus.

It really is just a fun little build more than anything though, starting simply with a Ping Pong Ball and some spare Drop Pod bits and letting it grow from there. I plan to build several of these with the other Ping Pong balls I have (I got 12 for 1), so expect more weird and wacky creations from me in the future.

Khorneguy
20-01-2013, 18:05
So after the unusual departure, I got back to working on my Sons of Horus. After spending a rather nice evening painting last night, I've made some progress on some more Veterans.

First up are Severan and Askrurr, a pair of twins serving as swordsmen in Korkann Veteran Squad:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nVlBwJzx6Zw/UPts5cL6auI/AAAAAAAABkE/sFaVYTjamqo/s320/pos1.JPG

Harkan, the squads Nuncio-vox Operator:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ckKqLnLta-k/UPts7sn-O2I/AAAAAAAABkM/cCc6FI5pw30/s320/pos4.JPG

And Kushur (complete with blood splatters) wielding a power axe to terrifying effect.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cYnwUcKFcKc/UPts8H90BXI/AAAAAAAABkQ/0SUuKX4iqrc/s320/pos5.JPG

There's plenty to do on these guys still, mainly detail work and completing their bases. Harkan needs a bolter and a few more washes and the twins need their power swords finishing, so a lot to keep me busy. They're not bad for a few hours work though, even if I do say so myself.

I want to get some weathering powders before I finish them off, to give them a real battle-worn appearance, but I'll concentrate on getting the rest of the squad to the same stage as the Twins are at before I do that i think

El Aartos
20-01-2013, 23:12
This is looking very good! The roman style is awesome and I would like to see some bigger pictures of the painted mini's. The captain and the guy with the duelling swords are top notch!

Khorneguy
16-02-2013, 01:15
Finally managed to get some Sons of Horus finished to a level I'm proud of.

Here are Severan and Kushur, done to what I feel is the best of my abilities and, even if I say so myself, looking pretty damn good.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-httk98IPRCE/UR7I68HXa4I/AAAAAAAABoc/vo73blJQ8gY/s320/use.JPG

I used Vallejo Weather Powders to 'dirty them up' a little, which made a huge difference in my opinion, as up to that point, I couldn't help but feeling there was something not quite right with them.

I also decided to give Severan a gilded skull to carry, seeing as up to then, his free hand was just waving about aimlessly - hardly a mark of an expert swordsman. Also, I read a great snippet of background in Betrayal that talks about the Sons of Horus dipping the skulls of their enemies in gold to preserve them as trophies and i knew I just had to include that in my force somewhere.

I know they still havn't got Legion/Squad markings or glyphs, but I've decided to do that at the end of the project, so it's easier to batch paint them and also gives me time to finalise my force and squad composition, without shackling certain models to certain squads.

Finally, here's here's some of their fellow Legion Veterans, almost done.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7DaH9xI-50g/UR7I6TYd9nI/AAAAAAAABoU/U-lFJPQj2hA/s320/use+2.JPG

They're shaping up nicely too, I must say. I'll post more soon.

Khorneguy
17-02-2013, 15:51
On to more updates, I've also managed to get my Justaerin Terminators done.

I didn't get a group shot of them, due to bad light, so I'll just show them one by one.

First up is Barrik Zorrin:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wX0vwGYmmkg/UR7TBnVsGCI/AAAAAAAABpE/TLHLQEK6Gbk/s320/use4.JPG

While he's not as high a standard as I'd hoped to achieve, (mainly because I really hate painting black armour), hes still done, complete with weathering powders, which is always good

As I've said before, the pair of dueling swords represent lightning claws, due to his skill with them. I experimented with having them glow purple or blue to make them stand out more, but I decided in the end they look far better just as plain silver.

Next is Arrus Korthin:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aAtEB2Qtc9s/UR7VHqxitmI/AAAAAAAABpQ/Uvu45SS1FgM/s320/DSC01015.JPG

I've armed him with a Combi-Plasma, Power Fist and Grenade Harness (for when I want to field them as a normal Legion Terminator Squad), but other than that, he's just a grunt really. Well, as much of a grunt as you can be when you're serving in the elite company of the Warmasters own legion.

And then we have Harvus Morradon:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ei9dBKVumXA/UR7YlU2Z78I/AAAAAAAABqQ/DGwYnh_fOIw/s320/DSC01020.JPG

Another guy with a Combi-Plasma, but this time alongside a Chainfist. I converted the Combi-Weapon from just an ordinary Bolter and the Plasma Pistol from FW's Mk III weapon set, putting them to good use, as I wasn't going to be using them anywhere else. His fist was just taken from the normal GW Terminators and sliced up to fit

So there you have it. A nice thing to also note: This is technically the first Legion squad that I've completed - Justaerin only need three men minimum. I do still need to do their transport though. and I'm still working on the other guys that came in the set - a Multi-Melta guy and Standard Bearer - but the basics are there.

What do you guys think of them?

Khorneguy
17-02-2013, 16:25
I really seem to be churning through my Sons of Horus atm, having just painted up nearly a full tactical squad to go with Darrus Kyrbarr (the Sergeant that I showed you a while back)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oG5zVSC5zNU/USEA9V43GwI/AAAAAAAABrU/pIKv0sKbCtU/s320/DSC01012.JPG

The pictures aren't the greatest, but forgive me, as I was working against poor light. As you can see, they've mainly just got bolters, but I've left one empty-handed until I can decided which special weapon to field them with when I can't use the FW rules and have to field them with the normal marine codex instead

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jlLVsju75qI/USEA9Zl1JII/AAAAAAAABrc/BQu424WGIpU/s320/DSC01013.JPG

This is a taste of updates to come, as I need 60 tactical marines for my list. I have a feeling that I'll be sick and tired of bolter marines by the end of it all, but oh well. It must be done.

RagnarBlackmane
17-02-2013, 19:14
I have to say they are looking tasty and the MKIII armour seems to suit them well. I did have concerns about the new power weapons but they seem to suit the armour well. Nice green aswell, always found it a pig to do.

Khorneguy
12-03-2013, 17:03
Progress on my Sons of Horus have been very slow, due to uni commitments, but what I have been doing is refining my army lists that I'm working towards.

So far I have two that I like:

2000pt Sons of Horus Tactical Speartip

Captain Markus Morkaddon – Praetor with Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Bolter

Tactical Squad Ankyr – 20 x Astartes, Vexilla, extra ccw, Sergeant Darrus Kyrbarr has Power Fist

Tactical Squad Morrantyr - 20 x Astartes, Vexilla, Sergeant Pussus Pyrann has Power Fist

Forrakyn Despoiler Squad – 7 x Seekers, Combi-Plasmas, Sergeant Jarrus Morr has Power Fist

Rapier Weapon Battery – Laser Destroyer Array

Apothecary Detachment - Elikk Gyrrus and Gahrus Marddon, both with Augury Scanners

Psy-Adept Varrus Kobolon – Lv1 Divination Librarian with Force Maul and Artificer Armour

Morradon Heavy Support Squad – 7 x Astartes with Missile Launchers, Sergeant Arik Morradon has Augury Scanner

‘Drukkar’ Predator Tank – Executioner Cannon

‘Mysserfar’ Predator Tank – Magna-Melta Cannon

Terminator Squad Messerat - 5 x Cataphractii, 2 x Combi-Plasmas, 1 Pair of Lightning Claws, Grenade Harness, 1 x Chainfist, 1x Powerfist, 1 Plasma Blaster

Aphaldon ‘The Executioner’ – Moritat with twin Plasma Pistols, Artificer Armour, Jump Pack and Refractor Field

2500pt Sons of Horus ‘Destructor’ Speartip

Captain Markus Markus Morkaddon – Praetor with Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Bolter, Pride of the Legion

Psy-Adept Varrus Kobolon – Lv1 Divination Librarian with Force Maul and Artificer Armour

Aphaldon ‘The Executioner’ – Moritat with twin Plasma Pistols, Artificer Armour

Vorrban Veteran Tactical Squad – 8 x Veterans, 1 x Plasma Gun, 2 x Power Axes, 1 x Power Sword, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Sergeant Jannus Vannor has a Single Lightning Claw and a Bolter. The unit has the Sniper USR

In a Dreadclaw Transport

Korkann Veteran Tactical Squad – 9 x Veterans, 1 with Meltagun, 2 with Power Swords, 1 x Power Axe, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Sergeant Korin Zarhaddon has Thunder Hammer. The Unit has the Sniper USR

In a Dreadclaw Transport

Byrkarr Veteran Tactical Squad – 10 x Veterans, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, 2 x Plasma Guns. Unit has the Sniper USR .

In a Dreadclaw Transport

Apothecary Detachment - Elikk Gyrrus, Gahrus Marddon and Marius Septon, all with Augury Scanners

Forrakyn Despoiler Squad – 7 x Seekers, Combi-Plasmas, Sergeant Jarrus Morr has Power Fist

In a Dreadclaw Transport

Contemptor Dreadnought Garrost – Armed with Multi-Melta, Power Fist with built in Graviton Gun and a carapace-mounted Havoc Launcher

In a Dreadclaw Transport

Horus Himself will be added to make this 3000 points

There's a few other odds and ends I'm working on, but for now I'm using these list as a guide on what to build and paint, otherwise I'll get caught up in the hype of new releases and buy a load of stuff which I'll never use.

As you can see, I'll have quite a mighty force done by the time it's done. Bear in mind though that these are only my Sons of Horus. I plan to have at least a small Pre-Heresy force of each of the traitor legions eventually, even if it's only a character and a squad to use as allies (probably as each gets their own special rules) to work along the Warmasters legion. The other major PH force that I'm going to have are my Thousand Sons, but I'm still working on my army list for those, So I won't post those yet.

Khorneguy
13-03-2013, 23:49
Following on from yesterdays post, i thought I'd post up a snapshot of all the Herery-era models that I've got so far. Here they are, minus my Justerian and their Dreadclaw, which are packed away ready for moving house in a few weeks time:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2D68YBEyFnc/UUEAJaKdiSI/AAAAAAAABts/jMNNOLwCt4w/s1600/DSC01080.JPG

As you can see, they're in varying states of completion, with very few actually 'done', apart from one Veteran squad (in the centre at the back). Before I do anything else, I want to finish these guys off, as well as lock down their squad designations so I can paint the markings on them. This will probably come once I'm in my new place mid April, but I'm hoping to get at least some done before that.

That's all really for today, but I'll post more up soon