PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit - New Models / Rules or Standalone?

Glimfeather
02-10-2012, 02:55
I am not a LotR player but am interested to know if the new release for "The Hobbit" is going to be an expansion of the existing LotR rule set or perhaps a standalone game. I dont' have any rumor's to suggest this might be the case. I am looking for any insight anyone might have into the coming release.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris

mrtn
02-10-2012, 20:50
GW has sacked anyone they can who was spreading rumours, so we're not likely to receive a lot until just before the release is due.

Jobu
02-10-2012, 21:26
Minis are to be released on nov. third. If they are a different scale or have some special different rules we will know then. I suspect they will release a new jouney book with all the model rules in it and perhaps an updated rulebook.

gidsy
12-10-2012, 06:07
A journey book wouldn't make sense as The Hobbit game would be a big gateway into the hobby. It would be more likely to follow the release schedule of LOTR back in the Fellowship days.

Baggers
12-10-2012, 08:41
I would imagine that they would be doing a new boxed game to tie in with the Hobbit release and get new players in. I would love them to do a series of linked scenarios ala the journey books, but we will have to wait and see. Shouldn't be to long now :)

BTJ
15-10-2012, 19:19
A journey book wouldn't make sense as The Hobbit game would be a big gateway into the hobby. It would be more likely to follow the release schedule of LOTR back in the Fellowship days.

Doubt it to be honest. Sell a 60 rulebook, or a 50 book followed by a 30 book? And push all the other books at the same time. I'd like an updated rulebook though. Maybe ditch the statlines to add battle company rules, more scenarios, and decent model pictures instead of the recycled WD painting articles.

Glimfeather
16-10-2012, 02:27
I'm just wondering if they see LotR as a gateway to WHF or 40K. There is zero interest in LotR where I play, but that is not to say that I see what everyone is playing... (Also not a commentary on my part on the quality of the game...)It seems like they would have more bang for the buck to produce a standalone boxed game that would have more of a mass market appeal. That would certainly generate more brand awareness and (maybe) open the doors for people to explore the main LotR rules or perhaps even Fantasy, etc.

Spiney Norman
16-10-2012, 15:33
I'm just wondering if they see LotR as a gateway to WHF or 40K. There is zero interest in LotR where I play, but that is not to say that I see what everyone is playing... (Also not a commentary on my part on the quality of the game...)It seems like they would have more bang for the buck to produce a standalone boxed game that would have more of a mass market appeal. That would certainly generate more brand awareness and (maybe) open the doors for people to explore the main LotR rules or perhaps even Fantasy, etc.

It has struck me that GW always treated LotR as a "gateway" game rather than a serious 3rd core game. The way it has been supported (or rather not supported) over the last few years only adds credence to this. I've seen too many GW staffers trying to move people on to WFB by saying "see you can do a human/dwarf/elf/orc/humans on horses army in Warhammer too, and the models are bigger and the armies are bigger and the monsters are bigger... etc etc." If I remember correctly, after I had been playing LotR for about 6 months the GW store manager basically twisted my arm into doing the WFB beginners course because I could "probably cope with a more advanced rules set now".

As someone who started with the GW hobby through Lotr almost a decade ago my impression is very much that they used the game as an entry point off the back of the popularity of the films.

Glimfeather
16-10-2012, 23:26
I don't frequent the 40k rumors thread, but I do seem a remember a suggestion in the WHF Rumors Thread of a boxed game that was due to hit this year. Some had thought it was Blood Bowl, perhaps it is a Hobbit game?

lbecks
17-10-2012, 03:46
I don't frequent the 40k rumors thread, but I do seem a remember a suggestion in the WHF Rumors Thread of a boxed game that was due to hit this year. Some had thought it was Blood Bowl, perhaps it is a Hobbit game?

I'd be surprised if GW didn't release some kind of plastic $100 box starter game for The Hobbit.

Baggers
17-10-2012, 16:30
I'd be surprised if GW didn't release some kind of plastic $100 box starter game for The Hobbit.

I fully expect them to. It'll be similar to Mines of Moria and so would feature the 13 dwarfs, Bilbo, Gandalf and lots of goblins. Some terrain and who knows what else. I would like to point out that this is speculation on my part by the way, and I don't know if the box exists or what it might contain.

BTJ
17-10-2012, 23:38
Just noticed the journeybooks are off the GW site. Maybe it's to do with how they want to sell the Hobbit

Joewrightgm
18-10-2012, 15:35
I hope they do 'journey books' for the hobbit, but I can see them rebranding The Lord of the ring rule book for the hobbit, updating the magic system to match war of the ring and including model profiles in one place.

There was the rumor thread that got (mysteriously) pulled down had a picture of the plastic radagast model which was splendid.

Jobu
18-10-2012, 20:01
Whoops, I guess GW sent warseer some email.

lbecks
18-10-2012, 22:54
So that's where radagast went.

There's another picture of the sprue he's on and it looks like he'll be sold as a plastic blister.

Whitwort Stormbringer
19-10-2012, 11:42
The model certainly looked good, glad to hear that he'll probably be sold individual as I wasn't to thrilled at the prospect of potentially having to collect characters across several boxed set purchases and amassing a pile of troops along the way.

lbecks
19-10-2012, 13:04
Considering how prolific the Perrys are and the LOTR miniatures as precedent i'd be surprised if there weren't several models of each character sold in various ways.

BTJ
19-10-2012, 16:57
Considering how prolific the Perrys are and the LOTR miniatures as precedent i'd be surprised if there weren't several models of each character sold in various ways.

Thought they weren't with GW anymore?

Baggers
19-10-2012, 22:32
I hadn't heard they had left. They do have their own company producing historical miniatures but their day job is gw

BTJ
20-10-2012, 19:15
I hadn't heard they had left. They do have their own company producing historical miniatures but their day job is gw

I haven't heard of any minis sculpted by them in years that GW have released.

mrtn
20-10-2012, 21:55

You've just missed them then. They sculpted for the Empire and Vampire releases for WFB, and quite a few of the LotR releases in February. Check out Tymell (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?11046-Tymell)'s release lists, good stuff.

lbecks
21-10-2012, 05:02

This year they sculpted the vampire black knights, empire individual blisters, and all of the February LOTR releases. I think they'll be doing the bulk of the hobbit releases and maybe brian nelson with plastic stuff and juan diaz with FC stuff.

BTJ
21-10-2012, 12:37
Ah, haven't really kept up with Fantasy, so I missed those. And great so, hopefully that's what they're been doing since. Especially as there was more done for february's release than actually came out, so hopefully they finish that out too

Danny76
21-10-2012, 13:49
Do we think the hobbit stuff will be November or December?

BTJ
21-10-2012, 16:22
Could be either, November was the release month for the lotr minis originally, but IIRC the financial report mentioned December. We'll know for sure on saturday