PDA

View Full Version : Non-Cheesy Slann

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
02-10-2012, 05:04
OK. So I have some lizardmen models, and I have been toying around with starting them. One thing holding me back is how cheesy or OP they can be and more importantly how cheesy one of my favorite models, the slann-mage priest, can be. I can easily limit the list to be not so filthy, but I was wondering what are some experienced player's builds for a non cheesy slann? I don't want to use (or want to avoid) cupped hands, becalming cogitation, or rumination. Many people obviously complain about those (although, not having the cogitation does make life difficult against DE, Teclis, and +7 to cast Tzeetch wizards). If you think I can use any of the above in some combination and it is not considered cheesy, feel free to list the combo and a reason why (I still want a slann that isn't a basic level 4!). Anyways, I would love to hear of some the less OP but still effective builds. Thank you!

Kayosiv
02-10-2012, 08:32
Just take the soul of stone or Magic resistance (3) or something and be done with it. The slann itself is a good buy because he's got 5 wounds, but that's all. It's his special abilities (that he gets for free) that make him above and beyond a normal wizard. A completely naked slann is still a good deal and more than enough to have a decent magic phase.

SteelTitan
02-10-2012, 09:09
Just slap on the Rumination and maybe a scroll? Sure, people complain about Rumination but for ***sake, it's a Slann. I don't care if I play against it and he makes the magic phase something to fear...he should.
However, I do always play with a certain comp system (called COMBAT 8.0) which only allows you a max of 4 power dice per casting.

MOMUS
02-10-2012, 09:14
A basic slann without any upgrades is a very good unit, soul of stone is a very good power. Loremaster isnt that great considering the slann can have an extra spell for 15pts. With all the points you save you could invest in everything else that is undercosted in the lizardmen book! :evilgrin:

Or some magic defence.
Skink priest, D.scroll 90pts
Skink priest, cube of darkness 105pts
Skink Priest, diadem of power 90pts

tmarichards
02-10-2012, 13:50
Lore of Beasts, Loremaster, Ethereal, Fencer's Blades.

Smashy Slann!

Malorian
02-10-2012, 16:38
Lore of Beasts, Loremaster, Ethereal, Fencer's Blades.

Smashy Slann!

Ha! I love it! :D

I was going to say go ethereal and go with lore of fire and the ruby ring, but I like this one better!

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
02-10-2012, 21:51
Thanks guys!