PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy kits at GW stores? Would you pay to play at stores?

lbecks
02-10-2012, 15:41
I haven't been inside a GW store in years so i've always wondered this. I buy the majority of my model stuff from online retailers.

Does anyone buy kits at GW stores for full price?

Does anyone buy kits at discount retailers and then play at GW stores? Does the staff care?

Would you pay to play at GW stores? Like a membership.

Scaryscarymushroom
02-10-2012, 17:34
I haven't been inside a GW store in years so i've always wondered this. I buy the majority of my model stuff from online retailers.

Ahh. There are no GW stores within 700+ miles of my home, so it has been a while since I've been in one too.

The last GW store I went into was GW Greenwich Village in New York. When I went in, it was really stinky and I cramped. So I complained about it on Warseer, and I deeply offended one of the regular visitors of the store (Reinholt: Sorry about that whole thing) by comparing it to the NYC subway system.

I don't. The last item I paid full price for was the 'Eavy Metal Master Class painting book. But I got that online because there are no GW stores near me; and my local game stores, for the most part, all charge retail for GW products. When you add tax, it means that ordering direct from GW is about 7% cheaper.

I will never buy GW minis to support my LGS, but I will rarely buy non GW minis at retail to support them.

Does anyone buy kits at discount retailers and then play at GW stores? Does the staff care?

While there are no GW stores near me, the staff at my favorite LGS doesn't seem to care if I bring in my online orders to play games.

I would not pay to play in a GW. I would not pay a membership fee to game anywhere, because I play rarely. However, I would pay a cover fee of a few dollars to play edit: to rent a table on a busy night (i.e. a Saturday) at my LGS, which is clean, comfortable, friendly, and their employees aren't intrusive. I make a point of making small purchases whenever I use their space: dice or counters or something.

Bookwrak
02-10-2012, 17:40
If I decide to impulse buy something, it's right there. I look around online when I'm planning out a set of purchases, or going for big items.

I don't understand this question. The staff does not ask for a receipt before I try and play, so how would they know which of my models came from where? If I show up with freshly painted models, there are no accusatory stares or statements of, 'hey, I don't remember selling you that...'

I would not pay to play at any store.

AngelofSorrow
02-10-2012, 18:46
I do currently pay full price at GW. I buy about 80% of my stuff there. It's my local store I want to support it. If it went pay to play I'd leave.

Ready for eternal war!

40k Boy
02-10-2012, 20:51
I never buy from a GW store, I don't see the point when the exact same items are on sale on the internet for a lot less. Before there was a GW anywhere near my home, I was buying via mail Order (Back before the internet existed), now it's just the same method with different technology.

The only time I've ever played in a GW is when the local store was when they had a Necromunda league in the store, and i'd owned all the models for many years before that store even existed. It was quite smelly, very noisy and generally annoying.

I wouldn't play in a GW store again, and Certainly not if I had to pay.....I probably wouldn't play in there if they paid me :D

I don't get the 'Loyalty to your local store' mentality. IMO part of the problems GW has is down to the number of stores they have running, they were big before they had all these stores and everyone had to order by phone and mail, and you could still get everything you need.

EmperorNorton
02-10-2012, 21:05
The GW store closest to me is about 90 minutes away. I have bought something there once or twice, but not regularly.
I much prefer ordering things at a discount and having them delivered to my home than having to take a lot of time out of my day to go to a tiny store and pay more for the privilege.
If there was a store near me and it guaranteed me a steady stream of people to play against, I'd gladly pay a small fee for that opportunity.

Fizzy
02-10-2012, 21:10
Nope the staff are to rude to veterans. Even though we got big wallets. But I guess littly Timmy and his mother who is a doctor is easier to get to buy a land raider for orks even though they do not need it :D

Vourne
02-10-2012, 22:20
I'd probably say 50/50. My local GW is a 10 minute walk from where I live. All the staff there are pretty cool, and I've known them for a long time. I agree that items can certainly be bought for less on-line, but sometimes after you've paid for the postage on some items the difference is sometimes just 2 or 3 pounds, and for the sake of that I'm happy to buy at my local GW and while I'm there, have a game or share hobby tips, tactics, and just chat with like minded people. Of course I understand for people who don't live close to a GW store it may not be worth paying the travel expenses just to get there.

Sparowl
02-10-2012, 22:34
I didn't have a local GW store for many years before I moved. I supported my local indie store, though. Bought most my stuff, GW or not, from there. I also played almost exclusively there, only rarely at home.

Now I have a GW store in the area, but the local indie store is simply better. Nicer people, better selection of products (aka, non-GW). So once again, I support where I play. Even though its about 15 minutes further away then the GW store. The indie has much better hours too, by the way.

I do buy a bit online now, but that's more if I see something on eBay for a good deal. Frankly I simply don't buy much GW anymore.

I wouldn't pay to play anywhere that wasn't a tournament. Table space is something I've grown used to as a perk of being a customer at that shop. I would continue visiting and buying from that shop if the policy changed, but would not pay to play.

paddyalexander
03-10-2012, 01:02
In a word no. My experience with gwPLC stores are that they are terrible places to play games in. Cramped conditions, small tables, rude kids, pushy staff & rubbish terrain.

Aren't I already paying a premium for those services anyway as 60-70% of gwPLCs' overall profits cover the cost of the stores I don't use (assuming that I still buy gwPLC product).

Plastic Rat
03-10-2012, 04:22
I pay a membership fee to my local indy store and I pay it happily. I would probably pay double that. They provide a venue and a great place to hang out. I also buy as much of my stuff there as I can.

I would never support a GW store, I think they're abominations for the most part.

Mini77
03-10-2012, 05:02
My closest GW store is Warhammer World so I guess that would be a little different. :p

Angelwing
03-10-2012, 19:30
Does anyone buy kits at GW stores for full price? Not for a long while. I'd only do it now to inspect a finecast kit I wanted so I could exchange it there and then. I have picked up a few bits from the direct only service recently though.

Does anyone buy kits at discount retailers and then play at GW stores? Does the staff care? I have done in the past. The staff wouldn't know, I wouldn't tell them. I've used the epicast and forgeworld USA tyranids in a GW store before. The staff welcomed them, (and I was asked to bring them back for the Global swarming tyranid event) but in fairness they are OOP.

Would you pay to play at GW stores? Like a membership. No I wouldn't pay extra as we are already paying that premium when we buy stuff new. I would be happy to pay a small sub to play in a FLGS if I wasn't buying stock from them.

gutsmaka
04-10-2012, 02:22
buying at GW for full price? yeah, I do.it supports the company that has given me some great games, and the only FLGS in my area has almost no selection of 40k.

buying models at a dicount retailer and then using them at GW? bought models on Ebay, just didnt tell the staff. they dont notice, or ask. but if they knew they probably wouldent be impressed about it
'
pay to play at GW? no, defeinetly not. if they started that I would be pretty upset.

Hendarion
04-10-2012, 07:05
Me too. Either that or eBay.

Probably, but not me.

I do. They care (as in: They are not big fans of it and speaking about such stores is prohibited), but they don't mention unless you start talking about it.

We already pay by buying the models (the costs for staffers, exhibition-models and gaming-tables is calculated into the costs of the miniatures - of course). If they'd ask more than that, I'd simply play at private people's homes.

Morkash
04-10-2012, 07:40

I was in a GW store only once, in Dublin, but I didn't buy anything there. I talked with the staff about my and their Ogre armies for some time, until they suddenly asked if I'm interested in the new (half a year old) armybook. It wasn't like I discussed in detail what I like/dislike about the new Ogres. They didn't have metal either which would be the only reason for me to pay retail price.

How would they know? I do not openly talk about where I buy my stuff but if they'd ask, I'd tell them. I have nothing to hide. I'd be more interested in their faces if I come with a 50/50 metal/plastic O&G army where some models are twice the age of the children running around ideal customers.

No, for sure not. It is expensive enough as it is and I see no reason why I would pay to play in a place which is no better (rather more likely, it would be worse) than if you play at someone's home or in a club. Tournaments would be different but as they would be without restrictions, I'd see no reason to attend either.

Shadey
04-10-2012, 08:05
I don't play but even if I did, I don't see me playing at a GW store even if it was free.

Unfortunately one of the biggest things the internet has proven is that accountability is an invaluable tool for society. It's rather depressing, but that is the case. Take away that accountability and the misanthropic narcecisstic mentality of many people thrives.

You don't always get that playing a game with a stranger. This compounds with the fact that different social circles often have different interpretations of the rules so that even if they are not consciously bending the rules, they could be doing it without awareness and intent. And that goes both ways too.

I am not a total recluse. I have a small group that I used to play with and still hang out, they were all strangers at some point and now some of them are among my best friends. So playing outside your social circle can certainly be a good thing. Still, I would rather play with a small group of friends that I know.

blongbling
04-10-2012, 08:21

clearly some people do as it still accounts for the lions share of GW's turnover

No they dont care and frankly how would they know?

Chivs
04-10-2012, 12:25

I don't. I've only bought one kit directly from GW in years - a 31 Ork Deff Dred with 30 of Games Workshop vouchers. I prefer to support the online retailers who offer the product at a (more) sensible price. Their discounts keep many people in the hobby - support your Friendly Local Online Retailer!

I have played at GW stores and no-one has asked where I got my models. I'm far from a regular though, so there's no opportunity for them to see that I now have new models I've not used before. If anyone asked though I would tell them, and I'd probably be quite blunt about how models in store are too expensive.

None of my 'local' GW stores [I can't drive, so a 30min train journey with models is far from ideal] have ever done much to gain my loyalty though, and they'd have to earn that before I'd consider shopping there for more than paint. I attended the 25th Anniversary at GW Gloucester and it was so badly organised that it didn't inspire me to go back there again. GW Swindon was worse - Over the summer their Facebook page said Wednesdays was 40k gaming. I arranged for a lift to get to Swindon, I arranged for a babysitter for my 1 year old daughter and I turned up with a fully painted army and list to be told that (As it had been so popular the day before) they were now only doing intro games. I could come back in 2 hours and then maybe get a game. I did, but it then got called for time due to the store closing early, even playing at a low points level. I felt like my presence in the store was a barely tolerated nuisance - even with staff coming across to look at the models and complement the conversions.

Not at a GW store. No chance. That service should be free, and more widely available if we are to keep supporting hobby stores through the current prices. If gaming goes, the prices had better start dropping. Which it won't.

At an independent? Maybe, but only so I could meet people. I have a gaming table at home, and more terrain than I can use on a 6' x 8' apocalypse board, but don't know anyone local who plays. If I could drive, I'd have joined a club, but they're in nearby towns rather than my own. As it is, I would pay to play in a local store as it would allow me to get games.

Hengist
04-10-2012, 17:23
As other people have said; you'd have to pay me to play in GW store.

Jericho
04-10-2012, 17:32
I haven't paid full price for anything in forever, save 1-2 things like a pot of paint if I am already in the mall. When you can get a discount at local stores or online, it's just too damn tempting to save a bunch of money buying somewhere else.

I guess I've bought a few paperback Black Library novels from there, as the local Chapters stores and other book retailers are extremely erratic in their stock levels for Black Library. They maybe have 1 copy each of a dozen random books at any given time... out of the 20+ HH novels and what, 15 Gaunt's Ghosts, plus all the dozens of other small series... not very helpful.

That being said, I'm a sucker for Forgeworld and can't seem to stop piggybacking on orders everytime someone within 100 miles of me wants to buy something from them. I've probably bought 2k or more worth of pre heresy stuff already, and I've painted 2 minis. So much for painting what I have before I get more...

stroller
06-10-2012, 10:20
I mix and match. I buy some stuff at my local store. I buy some on ebay and some online. Twice a week I have work time to kill so go to one of my local stores to paint or game. I'd like the shop still to be around, so I spend some of my money there. I regard the price difference as worth the convenience for my 4 hours a week - and I buy stuff I would be buying anyway.

The local store manager knows some of my stuff didn't come from him, but he's nice about it.

Pay to play? No to directly so, but I guess I partly pay full price for the facility.

ladykatz_02
06-10-2012, 16:15
I find this thread interesting. I get the whole buying it online because you can find it for cheaper, but really, seriously think logically about it. Someone is taking a loss for it to be sold so cheaply online or its a knock off. At some point someone had to buy it at full price. I also stand by the premise that it is partially (notice the choice of wording) because people purchase from ebay or from knock off lines or whatever instead of from Games Workshop or their approved independent retailers that the prices keep getting jacked up. There are other factors as well but that does not help. This about it in a retailers sense of the word. Just like Apple doesn't make money when you sell your iPhone 4 to someone online GW doesn't make money when you buy your models from some nobody online, therefore they have to increase the price of product so that the models that do sell will show enough profit on their bottom line to keep operating and providing the extensive line of models they do.

GW stores are specialty stores and they authorize their independent retailers to sell product. So yes I tend to buy direct from GW or from an authorized retailer. And yes I pay full price without batting an eye.

When I was living near a GW store I happily played in the store, when there wasn't gaming space at the store I moved to an independent. Now I have neither close by so we do a lot of gaming in homes and rent facilities for larger functions. Would I pay a reasonable fee to play at a GW store? Yes, why wouldn't I? They are providing a recreational area complete with tables, terrain and staff to keep it there, and in my opinion paying the fee would be no different than paying my club dues and I do that everytime I want to game anyway so why should GW be any different?

We have saying: pay where you play. If you game at an independent buy your product there, if you game at a GW buy your product there. GW staff don't care where you buy your stuff when you come in, they care if you buy something from them while you are there. Vets get peeved when staff don't coddle them and coddle someone new instead. That is because the vet is going to buy that item without the staff pushing them to just because its cool or they want it in their army, the newbie needs help convincing his mom or wife or gf of the merits of it.

EmperorNorton
06-10-2012, 16:36
I find this thread interesting. I get the whole buying it online because you can find it for cheaper, but really, seriously think logically about it.
Okay.

Someone is taking a loss for it to be sold so cheaply online or its a knock off.
That's not logical.
Buying online usually means buying from an authorized retailer. GW makes as money from each sale through these as they do through their own stores.
Online retailers are certainly not making a loss (unless they are doing something horribly wrong, and then they won't stay in business for long). And they certainly are not selling knock-offs.

At some point someone had to buy it at full price.
Not full retail price, no. Wholesale price, yes.

I also stand by the premise that it is partially (notice the choice of wording) because people purchase from ebay or from knock off lines or whatever instead of from Games Workshop or their approved independent retailers that the prices keep getting jacked up.
That's a problem pretty much every industry has to deal with. Yet very, very few show anything resembling GW's frequent price increases.

Just like Apple doesn't make money when you sell your iPhone 4 to someone online GW doesn't make money when you buy your models from some nobody online, therefore they have to increase the price of product so that the models that do sell will show enough profit on their bottom line to keep operating and providing the extensive line of models they do.
While there is no shortage of models on the second hand market (read: ebay), it's probably a tiny percentage of overall sales. I assume the negative effect on GW's bottom line is pretty much negligble.
If they hadn't jacked up their prices to ridiculous levels more people would buy their models new rather than used.

lbecks
06-10-2012, 17:17
I find this thread interesting. I get the whole buying it online because you can find it for cheaper, but really, seriously think logically about it. Someone is taking a loss for it to be sold so cheaply online or its a knock off. At some point someone had to buy it at full price. I also stand by the premise that it is partially (notice the choice of wording) because people purchase from ebay or from knock off lines or whatever instead of from Games Workshop or their approved independent retailers that the prices keep getting jacked up. There are other factors as well but that does not help. This about it in a retailers sense of the word. Just like Apple doesn't make money when you sell your iPhone 4 to someone online GW doesn't make money when you buy your models from some nobody online, therefore they have to increase the price of product so that the models that do sell will show enough profit on their bottom line to keep operating and providing the extensive line of models they do.

GW stores are specialty stores and they authorize their independent retailers to sell product. So yes I tend to buy direct from GW or from an authorized retailer. And yes I pay full price without batting an eye.

When I was living near a GW store I happily played in the store, when there wasn't gaming space at the store I moved to an independent. Now I have neither close by so we do a lot of gaming in homes and rent facilities for larger functions. Would I pay a reasonable fee to play at a GW store? Yes, why wouldn't I? They are providing a recreational area complete with tables, terrain and staff to keep it there, and in my opinion paying the fee would be no different than paying my club dues and I do that everytime I want to game anyway so why should GW be any different?

We have saying: pay where you play. If you game at an independent buy your product there, if you game at a GW buy your product there. GW staff don't care where you buy your stuff when you come in, they care if you buy something from them while you are there. Vets get peeved when staff don't coddle them and coddle someone new instead. That is because the vet is going to buy that item without the staff pushing them to just because its cool or they want it in their army, the newbie needs help convincing his mom or wife or gf of the merits of it.

Whenever I browse through Ebay I find that even re-sellers prices (aka some random guy who doesn't want his models anymore) for whole boxed kits can't really compete with independent retailers. Now think about this, GW wholesale is selling at 60% MSRP to those stores that sell at 20-25% off. GW is creating the problem themselves. Their retail arm and their wholesale arm are competing against each other. And then they have the gall to say "These online retailers are hurting us so we have to raise prices! We have to set up rules to try to hurt their business by making them remove online shopping carts!" Who's selling to these stores in the first place? Who's unwilling to close any type of price gap they created themselves?

jimbo2
06-10-2012, 17:28
Yes, I believe it's important to support local retailers. Increased unemployment in your local area is never a good thing.

Depends on price, I'd say up to about 8 for a two hour session would be acceptable. That way it's cheaper than just about anything else you can do. But that would only be if it was late night after work hours so no kids would mess with my stuff.

ladykatz_02
06-10-2012, 18:02
I find I actually agree with the comments of EmperorNorton and lbecks. My limited experience with buying off ebay and similar sites has been that people try to pass off some models that are definately not in any way associated with GW as GW/Warhammer models so I did make a generalization with my comment that you have corrected.

I do agree that GW is jacking things to the extreme of being rediculus, and I have questioned my own sanity at continuing the hobby but then I remember the look on my now 5 year olds face when he opened his first box of Skaven and how much fun he has painting them and can't help but buy him another one...and while I'm at it I might as well buy myself something to paint too :)

Its a never ending cycle of evil :)

Hengist
06-10-2012, 18:22
Buying online usually means buying from an authorized retailer. GW makes as money from each sale through these as they do through their own stores. Online retailers are certainly not making a loss (unless they are doing something horribly wrong, and then they won't stay in business for long).

Hold on... unless I'm missing something very obvious, GW must be making less profit from the goods they sell wholesale at 50-60% MSRP than those they sell directly at 100%. The expenses of their wholly-owned retail chain are (in the medium-term, at least) essentially fixed. The local GW store pays the same rent, wages, utilities, etc. whether or not you or I shop there. I've no doubt they they still turn a handsome profit from their wholesale trade accounts, but (unless, as I said, my grasp of microeconomics is badly off) those profits will nonetheless be lower per unit. That they continue to deal wholesale with the likes of Wayland, Maelstrom, etc., indeed suggests to me that wholesale in all probability in fact constitutes a significant proportion of their sales.[/QUOTE]

steeledcascade
06-10-2012, 18:34
I am lucky I have two stores withing close vicinity, Although they are polar opposites in the way the staff act towards veterans. I have actually contemplated delivering a right cross to a few of them. So now I only use one. I purchase quite a bit from there although if Im going to purchase a large order ill shop around. As for paying to game there, not a chance I have far better facilities at home.

EmperorNorton
06-10-2012, 19:59
Hold on... unless I'm missing something very obvious, GW must be making less profit from the goods they sell wholesale at 50-60% MSRP than those they sell directly at 100%
I was under the impression that the company sells their goods to their own stores at the same 50-60% of MSRP as they do to independent stores.

The expenses of their wholly-owned retail chain are (in the medium-term, at least) essentially fixed. The local GW store pays the same rent, wages, utilities, etc. whether or not you or I shop there.
And it is widely speculated that the stores, or at least some of them, can't cover their own expenses.

Chivs
07-10-2012, 00:23
The whole "Which makes more money: selling direct vs selling via independents?" will depend on how you view the GW stores on a budget sheet. (Other people in other threads have done the number analysis on this; this is just my summary take on it).

If you take off the running costs of the stores as a percentage of each item you sell, then sales via independents are better for GW. They may only get 60% of the RRP but they don't have to pay the fixed costs of the stores that sell their products (the independent retailer pays these). For their own direct sales, whilst they get 100% of RRP you then need to deduct the costs of running their own stores. If a store doesn't sell enough items, then it is effectively being subsidised by the company as a whole. People who have analysed sales figures in other threads claim this to be the case - when you subtract the operating costs of the retail stores from direct income, the balance is either very low or negative compared to independents. If GW looked at their stores purely as a retailing outlet, it would be better for them to close down the stores that aren't selling enough to overcome their outgoing costs.

The other way of looking at GWs is as a marketing tool, and a major/only recruiter into the hobby. This seems to be how GW view their stores, and many people on this forum also share those views. In this case, the GW stores are a fixed cost that is going to happen anyway. If you view the stores purely as (very) expensive advertising, and not as a retail outlet then each sale generates almost 100% pure cash (minus the manufacturing costs etc). In this case, any sale via an independent is effectively losing you money, as you only get 60% compared to 100%.

In reality GW will operate somewhere between the two, but looking more to the second viewpoint. The stores aren't going anywhere, so you want each one to make as much money as possible (you're only going to close down the most unprofitable stores). But GW are (possibly) being as schizophrenic as ever it seems, and are trying to minimize the gaming aspect and treat their hobby centres more like stores.

If you're going to view the hobby centres as nothing but stores, then you have to examine whether the income on sales is enough to make overcome the running costs of the store. If not, then it's probably better to close the stores that don't make the cut, and sell through independents. Or make it more worthwhile to buy from you direct, through loyalty schemes, sales or other motivating factors. The high price drives many to online discounters, as 20-25% off a GW RRP is not to be sniffed at!

If the stores are adverts/recruitment centres, then make sure they're user friendly. Make all people feel welcome, not just the new bloods with a look of wonder in their eye and their parents' credit cards. Each sale you get is a huge amount of cash, so don't drive people to other places by making them feel unwanted. This seems to be their current model, but it seems to be driving people away from the hobby, so maybe a rethink is needed.

Hengist
07-10-2012, 00:42
I was under the impression that the company sells their goods to their own stores at the same 50-60% of MSRP as they do to independent stores.

And it is widely speculated that the stores, or at least some of them, can't cover their own expenses.

GW wholly own their own retail chain, so any "internal market" presumably exists solely for accounting purposes; their actual per-unit income from retail is still 40% (or whatever largest-scale wholesale discount is) higher than wholesale. You are indeed correct, however, that it is common and well-substantiated belief that some (or indeed many) of their stores are essentially loss-leaders (or at least greatly-diminished profit leaders) for the GW brand; unless The Hobbit greatly reverses GW's fortunes, I foresee a wave of closures now that the company have already cut staff and hours to their absolute minima in most UK stores.

Commisar
07-10-2012, 03:50
Back in the day, I used to go out of my way to buy things at my local Games Workshop store. Including going into the store to make any direct orders I might need to make, so it would show on the stores sales figures.

This was because, the shop was excellent, I got on well with all the staff, and we played in the upstairs gaming room every week (sometimes twice a week).

Then the powers that be sacked all the staff, moved the manager to a much smaller store, brought in a new team and closed the gaming room.

I stopped purchasing miniatures there. I now buy all my things in my FLGS which holds stock of everything, at a 10% discount. (unfortunately it is too small to play in often)

I play in another FLGS, were I make the occasional purchace (they dont hold much stock) but spend well at the in store food and drink selling area.

By runing the service of there own stores, I was also introduced to a more diverse gameing enviroment, and now Play Warmachine and Malifaux. So Games Workshop have realy blundered, there.

But I do beleave in "pay were you play."

alexh
07-10-2012, 13:21
I quite often buy from my local GW store and that is where I play all of my games. I could use one of the two branches of an indie retailer but the extra bus/train fare would negate any saving on the price. Our new GW manager has introduced a few incentives for people who buy from there including access to the gaming room on certain days. In terms of buying from the other shop, the local GW staff aren't that bothered either way to be honest.