PDA

View Full Version : Forge World Shipping charges

Marked_by_chaos
02-10-2012, 22:33
Have these always been 12% standard and extra for express?

I have only ever picked up models at events or warhammer world before but that seems ridiculous. I was thinking of picking up the Horus Heresy book but the charges seem exorbitant.

Also can they deliver to GW stores as I don't fancy the chances of resin models or books surviving my post box/local postage system?

Jericho
02-10-2012, 22:42
Have these always been 12% standard and extra for express?

I have only ever picked up models at events or warhammer world before but that seems ridiculous. I was thinking of picking up the Horus Heresy book but the charges seem exorbitant.

Also can they deliver to GW stores as I don't fancy the chances of resin models or books surviving my post box/local postage system?

It's been that way for ages. Every time one of my friends wants some FW we band together and spend more money than we ought to just to get free express shipping. It's a better deal on our side of the Atlantic than yours, I suppose.

Some previous Imperial Armor books have been available in shops, but I don't know if HH will be. Rumors on that front were mixed.

Fizzy
02-10-2012, 22:43
Yes. And it is not harsh considering the weight of the book. It is massive.

I dont think they deiiver to GW stores unless you can choose it when you register.

I usually buy above 250 quid when shopping on FW's site. Free shipping.

Sildani
02-10-2012, 22:46
Yes, the shipping charges are FW's constant. During Christmas, though, they usually provide free shipping.

trigger
02-10-2012, 22:46
Most forgworld books can be brought from the GW main site

It's over 10 so free shipping

Ok just looked and they have removed them , sorry my bad

MiyamatoMusashi
03-10-2012, 08:53
12% is a ridiculous charge for shipping. No way does it cost them anything like that much to actually send it.

I usually end up driving 30 mins to Warhammer World to pick it up in person, rather than spend an obscene amount like that extra. Unless I know I'm already spending over 200, in which case I might as well round up to 250.

Forge World prices sting, but they're lovely models so it's OK. FW P&P is insultingly high.

Baragash
03-10-2012, 09:12
Yes. And it is not harsh considering the weight of the book. It is massive.

Buy some FW stuff. Weigh the package. Compare to Royal Mail charges. Realise they're ripping you off.

Standard mail orders sent within the UK are shipped by Royal Mail 1st Class Post.

Forge World charge 12% of the order value for shipping and handling to any UK address.

lijah_cuu
03-10-2012, 09:26
I've always found the cost of FW's shipping to be ridiculous, even though they say they don't make a penny on it!
They charge on cost rather than weight so if I was to order 15 sheets of transfers at 10 each it will cost me the same in shipping as ordering a new Fellblade. Which do you think is heavier??
I've never had an issue with the actual quality of the packaging. Everything is always packed well and securely. Although my only gripe about that is when they post small items such as doors and weapon upgrades the boxes are still too big to fit thorugh the ruddy letterbox!
For the prices FW charge for shipping I expect it to be hand delivered by winged cherubs and wrapped in the skin of a baby Unicorn...

Fizzy
03-10-2012, 09:26
I dont have royal mail so no.

The shipping prices would be something like FW's shipping costs here in Sweden.
Lets say we buy this here new book. 70 quid for it yes? 12% of that is 8.4 wich is about 90 Swedish kronor. I would say a book like that would cost 106 Swedish kronor to ship safely.
Wich is near 10 quid.

Maybe for you in England it is a rip off I do not know. But people from England complain about shipping rates. They are worse here so I am pleased for any other options around the world.

So no FW do not rip me off. Though I never pay shipping. I always order above 250 quid.

Mini77
03-10-2012, 10:06
But people from England complain about shipping rates.

People from England complain about everything. It's like a national past time. :p

BTJ
03-10-2012, 10:19
For international shipping, it's actually ok. Maybe still a bit more than it should be, but the increase over domestic shipping isn't bad at all

RunepriestRidcully
03-10-2012, 10:57
That is the main thing that stops me from buying more then dribs and brabs of FW, I am saving up to do a big order and do it with friends so we can get the free postage.

Fizzy
03-10-2012, 11:18
I really do not care that much but I agree that it might be a bit high when you buy things for example 170.
10% would be about right I think. At least for you in England. But it does cost a bit more to ship internationally.

I shipped a built and painted Stormraven to Australia and it was about 15.

Delicious Ron
07-10-2012, 13:36
The shipping prices would be something like FW's shipping costs here in Sweden.
Lets say we buy this here new book. 70 quid for it yes? 12% of that is 8.4 wich is about 90 Swedish kronor. I would say a book like that would cost 106 Swedish kronor to ship safely.
Wich is near 10 quid.

International shipping is 15% actually, so that 70 quid book would add up to 80.5, or to put in kronor about 120kr for shipping

AndrewGPaul
08-10-2012, 10:04
I don't know the weight of the book, so I guessed at 2 kilograms*. Using the Royal Mail's postage calulator, a 1kg package to the UK sent special delivery (the only option it gives me) costs 9.20. If you feel that Forge World are calculating the postage incorrectly, feel free to send them the additional 60p.

Since someone mentioned Sweden, it would cost 29.56 + VAT = 35.47 to post the same package there.

*If the book were simply 289 A4 pages of 100g/sq.m paper, it would weigh ((0.210*0.297)*289*100)/1000 = 1.802kg. Since the paper stock is likely to be heavier than that, the pages of Forge World books are usually larger than A4 and that's not including the leather binding or metal corners, 2kg is probably an under-estimate.

Well done, by the way, on getting the company name right in the thread title. :)

Bigglesworth
08-10-2012, 12:14
Remember forge world will be getting a bulk discount with royal mail, they're not just chucking the parcels in the back of the car and driving down to the local post office, the cost of postage is about right for small orders, but obviously anything between that and 250 would be less good value. It would be nice if the charges were more transparent for things of extreme weight difference, I.e cheaper if your just getting some track guards and a transfer sheet, and a bit more if your getting some superheavies and rulebooks.

Fizzy
08-10-2012, 12:27
That would take to much effort and time that they cannot afford. Then they would have to take all things they have and weigh them and calculate the costs instead of doing an estimated cost of shipping.

I am pleased. But mostly since I think that the prices are very good if you compare shipping from Sweden to any other country. It costs a fortune as soon as you go over mailbox size.

O&G'sRule
11-10-2012, 23:23
The idea of charging for shipping is an archaic one that they really need to look at. Not many major online companies do it any more, its just stupid. I only buy from them from events because of it

nosebiter
11-10-2012, 23:38
You do realise that said companies just charge more for the product to cover the shipping cost?

Inquisitor Engel
12-10-2012, 01:48
You do realise that said companies just charge more for the product to cover the shipping cost?

I take it you don't order from Amazon much?

RTGamer
12-10-2012, 23:43
I take it you don't order from Amazon much?

Apples to Eggs...

Inquisitor Engel
13-10-2012, 00:23
Apples to Eggs...

Not really. He was saying how companies that do free shipping up charge to cover that cost. Amazon doesn't, nor do many discount GW resellers once you hit a certain threshold. FW do the poor excuse upgrade around the holidays, but that's it.

Ruben2navega
13-10-2012, 02:36
I believe that maelstrom games does free shinping in England,no?

shelfunit.
13-10-2012, 08:40
I believe that maelstrom games does free shinping in England,no?

Assuming they stay around they have free shipping all over the world. (orders over 10)

Caiphas Cain
13-10-2012, 09:05
It's free world wide shipping over 20 I think at Maelstrom.

AndrewGPaul
13-10-2012, 13:14
Not really. He was saying how companies that do free shipping up charge to cover that cost. Amazon doesn't, nor do many discount GW resellers once you hit a certain threshold. FW do the poor excuse upgrade around the holidays, but that's it.

Oh, they are. They must be - postage costs are a cost of doing business so their selling price will be set to accommodate that. They may have pared their other costs right back so they can still undercut the competition, but if they're not making an explicit charge for postage, it's being covered by the cost of the goods.

Inquisitor Engel
13-10-2012, 17:22
Oh, they are. They must be - postage costs are a cost of doing business so their selling price will be set to accommodate that. They may have pared their other costs right back so they can still undercut the competition, but if they're not making an explicit charge for postage, it's being covered by the cost of the goods.

Being covered by other cost saving measures (mostly automated warehouses, real estate deals etc) is NOT the same as raising prices on individual products to cover that shipping cost. I can buy almost EVERYTHING cheaper on Amazon, sometimes by as much as 50% than I can by walking into my local Best Buy. Amazon is renowned the world over for being cheaper than walking into a physical store and STILL does free shipping.

cpl_hicks
14-10-2012, 03:07
Remember forge world will be getting a bulk discount with royal mail, they're not just chucking the parcels in the back of the car and driving down to the local post office

Forge World dosent use Royal Mail (Or if they do I never get it from the postie), I believe that even for the 'small' items they use UPS, and larger items use UPS Express delivery

When you are paying the shipping costs you are not only paying for it to go from A to B but as the 'security' of that item, thats likely why FW charge a % of total cost if it costs more its likely (though not always) to need more security i.e. buying a diamond ring needs more security that a mars bar

When my last order arrived I was at work so the guy who delievered the item gave the person who answered the door the 1st degree cause their surname is differant to mine, also If I have been out I have never had items left lying around on the front porch, handed to neighbours/random strangers or 'misplace' never to be seen again, which can and has happened from other companys.

Amazon is renowned the world over for being cheaper than walking into a physical store and STILL does free shipping.

Only for the last 3-4 years has Amazon done free shipping (No Idea why Im typing like Yoda), before then at least in the uk you had to spend 19 i think before you got free shipping, thats why I used to get everything from play.com, which did offer free shipping, but Play is based in Jeresy so dosent pay tax, while amazon in main land uk. Im guessing that amazon had to bend to the will of its consumers and give free shipping on everyting. Look at what amazon have just said about the Kindle, they only break even on the hardwar and make the money on the e-books