PDA

View Full Version : Reform after charging a fleeing enemy

Shidensen
03-10-2012, 02:18
Earlier today I was reading another post on here about how you can reform after charging a fleeing enemy by passing a leadership test. When I got home I looked this up to confirm (pg 23) and checked in the pursuit section to see if you could do it too (pg 58) so I see it's right. I didn't remember the name of the post I read earlier so here goes:

The point of my post - on page 58 where it says you are allowed one final reform after destroying the fleeing enemy...this does require the leadership test as per page 23, correct?

No one else at my local store plays using this, so it must have been something we all glossed over by accident - I want to make sure I have this down before I play a game there this weekend

brother_maynard
05-10-2012, 17:38
You sound like you have it down but just toclarify: you can test to make the reform after completing a charge against a fleeing enemy, you don't get to do it when resolving a pursuit roll against an enemy that you broke in combat that round

JonMc
07-10-2012, 22:59
The rule on pg. 23 refers to vanilla charges into a fleeing unit. I.e. the charging unit started turn not in combat and declared a charge and hit a fleeing unit. The fleeing unit then would have gotten a charge reaction (must flee again) and when caught, the charging unit must test in order to reform.

The rule on pg. 58 is specifically if you pursue into a fleeing unit. The fleeing unit then does not get a charge reaction, and the pursuing unit may reform without testing. That's my reading.

Edit: I shoud clarify: The fleeing unit that you are pursuing into is of course not the unit that just broke from combat against you - if you were going to catch them, that occures before you even move.

Chicago Slim
08-10-2012, 01:12
Good edit: if you catch an enemy that breaks from you, that's not "pursuit into a fleeing unit" as understood on page 58...

darkgul
08-10-2012, 08:07
Very interesting... I never reformed after catching a unit that did a flee reaction. Awesome! Its like getting a new skill upgrade for your army. Thanks for the good read.

Shidensen
08-10-2012, 18:04
OK thanks for the responses everybody, I think I understand it now. Thanks with that edit JonMc, good to know it only works on enemies that you didn't just break!

ASTINOFF
18-10-2012, 05:45
OK thanks for the responses everybody, I think I understand it now. Thanks with that edit JonMc, good to know it only works on enemies that you didn't just break!When you say on enemies you didn't just break, you refer to enemy unit that your unit don't break. They break for another unit. That's true?

T10
18-10-2012, 08:22
If you catch a fleeing unit with a charge move you may attempt to reform: This requires an Ld test.

If you defeat an enemy unit and it breaks you can either pursue or attempt to restrain from pursuit: This requires an Ld test and if successful lets you stay put and also lets you reform.

If you wipe out an enemy you have charged you may elect to either overrun and get no reform, or you can stay put and you get to reform.

If you wipe out an enemy in a consequitive round of combat you stay put and you get to reform.

I'm a bit unsure if there are any particular issues whith catching fleeing units with an overrun/pursuit move: I assume these are treated as if the unit was caught by a charging unit and thus allows the chargers an Ld test to reform.

-T10

JonMc
20-10-2012, 17:19
Pg. 58 particularly refers to catching fleeing units during a pursuit move. All it states there is that the pursuing unit gets a final reform. No mention of any Ld. test. Instances where this may happen:

- Pursuing unit fails to catch fleeing broken unit, but there is another intervening fleeing enemy unit that the pursuing unit runs into
- Overrun into a fleeing unit

As I said, this is opposed to declaring a charge against a fleeing unit and catching it. In that case, the enemy'd get charge reaction and if caught, the pursuer must test to reform.