PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually get to play?

Eternus
03-10-2012, 13:13
We are aware that there are various aspects to this hobby, and not everyone wants to play the game, happy to just read the fluff and partake of modelling. Having said that, I know there are lots of hobbyists for who the gaming is the most important element. The question is this: of those of you for whom gaming is important, do you actually get to play games, or are you stuck without gaming opportunities for some reason or other? This applies equally to any face to face wargame really.

I for one have had more than my fair share of gaming in the past, but in more recent years games have been fewer and further between, due to home commitments. I have started breeding my own opponents, but little Eternus is still only 17 months old at the present time. I am setting up a gaming area in the garage, and have an intermittant local opponent now, so things are looking rosier.

Urgat
03-10-2012, 13:17
I don't play a lot, I get to play once every three or four months at best, sadly. Well that's still several times a year so I'll vote yes I guess.

EmperorNorton
03-10-2012, 13:22
Very, very rarely, regrettably.

Omnichron
03-10-2012, 13:22
As the interest and time amongst my friends dropped, I found myself wanting to play but not having many to play against. I went to my local GW now and then to play, but it wasn't many times as there were few tables and just a few interested now and then.

Last year I got in contact with a warhammer club and joined, so now I can play almost whenever I have the time. It's great!

boli
03-10-2012, 13:24
I play as often as I can, unfortunately that means I've only had 3 battles this year :(

You just have to take things as they are and I have to put my efforts into painting and modeling instead :)

En Sabbah Nur
03-10-2012, 13:41
With my group of players, we are running a campaign, there is not that much battles (and at an irregular schedule), but they are mostly held in my living room... so even if i do not fight in battle, i am always watching, and I enjoy it really near as much as fighting myself !
And of course, sometimes we fight for fun also.

In that perticualr point of view, I would say yes.

I play as often as I can, unfortunately that means I've only had 3 battles this year :(
You just have to take things as they are and I have to put my efforts into painting and modeling instead :)
+1 for the homework instead :D

Crymson
03-10-2012, 14:03
Usually 3 or 4 times a year. I only have one other person who plays, and he lives 200km from me, so it's rare that we get time.

Gaius Marius
03-10-2012, 14:26
Good grief, you are all making me feel bad. I play at least a couple of times a month. We have Fantasy veterans night at the local GW bunker. I live in a small city, but we have a bunker by a quirk of fate/geography. It isn't always the busiest, but if I can get out of the house on a Thursday night, I can usually find an opponent for a game.
I feel your pain on the real life gets in the way issue... I am in my late thirties and have kids, and none of my old gaming friends still play regularly. Often my opponents are not as old as some clothing I own... and I have been playing Warhammer since before they were born sometime in the 1990's!
I play Warhammer chiefly because I can find opponents. I am a gamer first not a painter, so I am not in love with GW's sculpts or rules or whatever. What I appreciate, in my home town anyway, is GW's presence. Other game systems have better rules, settings that are of more interest to me etc. Hell, I would still play old-school paper & pencil Battletech if I could find opponents.... but GW games are what I play because that is where the players are.

If you are ever in Nova Scotia, Canada, drop me a note and we'll have a game, there is a game-store waiting and I or others will lend you an army if you are traveling light.
Sorry to ramble a bit, Cheers ~ Gaius Marius.

logan054
03-10-2012, 14:32
I was playing a lot more, last 6 months it has been harder to get time to game due to work, also, apparently I'm a powergamer, yet I field chaos warriors with great weapons and exalted heroes on juggers, go figure.

Daniel36
03-10-2012, 14:52
Honestly, it is so easy to start up a gaming club. And when you are the one organising it, you can organise it as often as you want. Have time for only one night a month? Organise a monthly club. Twice a month? Go for it!!

I have set up two clubs, the first still running succesfully. The second is reaching its first year anniversary, though we changed name and location a month ago. It'll be easier if you have a local store, but if you don't, it's not too hard to advertise locally.

If you need tips, hit me up with a PM. I'm sure the things you need to do aren't too different, wherever you live.

Wishing
03-10-2012, 15:14
I'm 100% with the OP in that I don't get to play very often due to home commitments. However, I love the gaming aspect of the hobby simply for the fact that it provides a goal to work towards when doing the creative aspects, even though at least 95% of the time I spend with GW is spent alone at my desk. For some reason, I wouldn't get as much enjoyment out of building and painting miniatures if I knew they were just going to be put away into storage for the joy of owning them - the ability to play games with them provides a huge amount of motivation and joy, and makes me want to paint models every night. I'd think that hitting upon that particular combination of "solo hobby time working towards social gaming time" is the underlying reason for GW's success, because it just works well and is very satisfying.

Triple King
03-10-2012, 15:20
I haven't had chance to play in years. Although a GW did open up in Chesterfield which is fairly near to me, I kind of get put off by the age group GW tends to attract.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-10-2012, 15:24
I typically play some sort of war-game every week, I'm lucky enough to have two clubs in my area which run on opposing weeks.

Wishing
03-10-2012, 15:31
I haven't had chance to play in years. Although a GW did open up in Chesterfield which is fairly near to me, I kind of get put off by the age group GW tends to attract.

Same here, gaming in a gaming store would be a nightmare for me - not so much for the age thing, but people that hang around there tend to be really loud and obnoxious. I only play with people I'm already friends with, and who are relaxed and mature about the whole thing.

The Low King
03-10-2012, 15:36
I Usually play once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. *smug*

But then i put little effort into the painting side of it.

Importman
03-10-2012, 15:38
I used to play quite regularly at my local GW store but since moving to a country without a decent local gaming store and having to work much longer hours I have since not had a game for the last 3-4 years. Real sad.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Malorian
03-10-2012, 15:44
I get in at least one game every week, be it fantasy, 40k, or warmachine, but if we are just talking about fantasy it's about 1 game every 1-2 weeks.

DaemonReign
03-10-2012, 15:45
It seems to be a diminishing frequency as of late. For the last few years it's been 'at least once a month' but now (kid on the way amongst other things) it would seem it's gonna be a whole lot less than that. :( On the flip side, when we do get time to run a game we don't mess around: I actually haven't Heard of that many people who can say that they regularly play ~10k battles with fully painted armies. So no I can't be smug-face about frequency, but... :p

Still try to spend at least a few moments every day at the hobby-station at home. And, truly, these damn Forums steal waaay too much time.

Kuroi
03-10-2012, 15:57
This year I didn't play much for...6 months or more... Mostly because my old "friends" lost interest in the hobby. Trying to get more games in by joining a new gaming circle and if all goes to plan I'll get 1-2 games in a month :> More if i stop working so relentlessly. Worked basically every single day last month :P

Texhnolyze
03-10-2012, 16:14
I play around 2-3 games every other week. So I get a lot of playtime.

BigbyWolf
03-10-2012, 16:44
At least once a month.

Sometimes, when bored, I hae been known to play with myself.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-10-2012, 16:52
At least once a month.

Sometimes, when bored, I hae been known to play with myself.

Haven't we all.

logan054
03-10-2012, 17:01
Haven't we all.

Beat me to it :( well I would rather someone else was doing the playing, maybe I'm just a oddball..

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-10-2012, 17:29
Beat me to it :( well I would rather someone else was doing the playing, maybe I'm just a oddball..

So you're saying you'd rather have someone else playing with your odd balls?

Also, bad Bigby for spreading the Wastes to this calm and tranquil land :mad:

logan054
03-10-2012, 17:33
So you're saying you'd rather have someone else playing with your odd balls ?Slightly too much information, but I agree with the sentiment

What about odd balls, you said something about too much information :p

Oogie boogie boss
03-10-2012, 17:37
For the last couple of years I've only managed 5-6 games a year, alas. Still, hopefully I'll be able to get more in soon.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-10-2012, 17:43
What about odd balls, you said something about too much information :p

Ahem... Quickly changes subject Did you move my question mark in that quote? I swear it wasn't there before, damn punctuation fiddlers, they come in the night....

Boreas_NL
03-10-2012, 17:52
I voted yes as I get to play at least a couple of times each year (in certain periods I even get a game once a month)... Still, I would like to play more!

logan054
03-10-2012, 17:53
damn punctuation fiddlers, they come in the night....

*shakes his head*

just like a essex girl, far to easy ;)

Hmm, anyways, I think I liked a previous post by dan talking about setting up you own club, I know me and a mate having been talking about it, I really must get that sorted so we can actually start playing on boards bigger than 6x4, and drink beer, yes, beer and warhammer are good, smelly beer and warhammer are bad.

BigbyWolf
03-10-2012, 18:20
Also, bad Bigby for spreading the Wastes to this calm and tranquil land :mad:

Well, the General forums do need to relax a bit.

But I was being serious, I've played one-player Warhammer before.

Armond
03-10-2012, 18:33
Twice a month or so. With a family I have to balance time between my own interests and my family. I could play weekly or biweekly, but then I would be sleeping outside and I would be convicted of child neglect.

The bearded one
03-10-2012, 18:54
Generally once per week, as I can pop into the local GW or independant and usually find people of the local circle there to play.

BigbyWolf
03-10-2012, 19:38
Twice a month or so. With a family I have to balance time between my own interests and my family. I could play weekly or biweekly, but then I would be sleeping outside and I would be convicted of child neglect.

Still, you get to play more Warhammer.

You need to sort your priorities! :mad:

;)

Malorian
03-10-2012, 19:41
My wife likes to go scrapbooking with friends. It's a good way to trade for my own time, or have people over while she is out.

Bazzal
03-10-2012, 20:41
This mainly depends on where you live I think currently I live in Glasgow Scotland. I have 5 gaming groups (Ayr, prestwick town, Kilwinning, paisley and Glasgow) so I get games several times a week. Tho due to living in Scotland and not being able to drive (stupid epilepsy) I don't get many tournaments except Stirling and student nationals when in Sheffield, Manchester or Edinburgh. And I know there are a lot of tournaments further south which sound like fun.

Anyway over all conclusion it all depends on the area you live

Lars Porsenna
03-10-2012, 20:48
To answer the question, I get a few games in per year. I've recently been linking up with some WHFB players in the area, so opporunity is on the uptick. Bul like a previous poster I have to balance my gaming time with family time (2 little girls and the wife) as well as with the othe games I like to play (40K , Noble armada for the most part these days, as well as the bi-weekly RPG Pathfinder game). Hoping to get one or two games in a month...

Damon.

Akkaryn
03-10-2012, 21:06
Normally about 4-5 games a week although since the release of 6th getting a fantasy game is like pulling teeth.

Lord Shadowheart
03-10-2012, 21:52
Usually at least 1 game every Saturday :)

Durloth
03-10-2012, 22:06
My club is renting an apartment downtown, with shelves for our minis, permanent gaming tables, a coffee machine and a fridge with beer. We all have keys and have set up a forum where we can make appointments.
While I right now prioritize painting over playing most nights, the convenience of not having to prepare in any way other than agreeing on a points limit and terrain have made getting games in incredibly less hassle than before.

Lord Inquisitor
03-10-2012, 22:35
I'm shocked firstly that "several times a year" is the only option in the poll for "yes I play often". :eek: I'm more shocked at how many warseerites don't even get that!

I do know what it feels like to not be able to get games in and there have been a few times since I started that I've not been able to get opponents and just read battle reports in white dwarf with a sense of longing, and a few times where I've not been that interested in gaming at all (:wtf:) but for the most part I've settled down to a regular pattern that I get out to a game a week of some kind, with a tournament a month or a GT every four months or so.

Tomalock
04-10-2012, 04:12
When I was home in Reno I played quite frequently when I didn't have my models packed away. Since I have been temporarily stationed down here in AL I have to go to tourneys to play any games at all, due to this being 40k country apparently. I am picking up the pace by going to GT's three months in a row, but with my training schedule I pretty much have to be within easy driving distance for the weekend or have the tourney fall on a Federal holiday. I really need to find a group of fantasy players around here, but since my fully painted VC army got stolen from my storage unit while I was doing some training back in the spring I have actually spent all my free time building and painting my armies to get them ready for said tourneys. I guess that evens it out for the moment, but I'd still like to find some people more local to play!

Jind_Singh
04-10-2012, 04:35
once or twice a week or else I go maaaaaad!!

Warrior of Chaos
04-10-2012, 07:51
I work a pretty rough rotating schedule so I don't get to play as often as I would like. I have a couple friends who game as well, but they are very unpredictable on availability to game. One is married with kids working the same schedule as myself and the other likes to flake-out at the last minute (LOL)...in all fairness he has had it very busy at home with personal stuff. I get a game (or cluster of games in) every couple of months. I may go for 2-3 months with nothing, then get in 4 games in two weeks...then back to 1-2 months with nothing. It is very frustrating. My signature reflects the total of all games I have got to play since...August 2010. I may have forgot one or two games, but the total is more or less accurate.

Avian
04-10-2012, 10:59
I don't like 8th edition. Happily 9th edition should be less than 2 years away now. Here's hoping for more interesting rules!

steeledcascade
04-10-2012, 11:05
I play nowherer near as much as I'd like, However I do squeeze in at least a game a month. I would quit work and play everyday, But then I couldn't buy any new toys its a viscouis circle!

Ratarsed
04-10-2012, 11:25
I'm lucky by the sounds of it. I have a regular gaming club I go to usually once a week. I have a friend who lives in the same village and we are gaming about once every 2 months and I get to go to events for a weekend of gaming about 6 times a year.

All aspects of the hobby are equally important to me and I think without all of them I would probably be doing something else. I paint models to game with and I game to use my painted models. My games are enhanced by great background.

I've often wondered what I would be doing now if I had not ventured down to the Lincoln GW store the day Gobstyks started up back in '97.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
04-10-2012, 11:36
I game frequently. Unfortunately, the setup time it takes for WHFB takes very long and is discouraging; and I wind up playing a pickup game of one of GW's competitors. Sad, really, because I have a huge army and I love to use it.

Toshiro
04-10-2012, 11:52
Usually I get 1 game a week, the club is open twice a week so it's mostly dependent on if I'm working or not on the weekend whether I can play or not. :)

Warrior of Chaos
04-10-2012, 11:58
I game frequently. Unfortunately, the setup time it takes for WHFB takes very long and is discouraging; and I wind up playing a pickup game of one of GW's competitors. Sad, really, because I have a huge army and I love to use it.

I don't mind the long setup time too much if the game is at my place. Got music, beer, BBQ....the game is just one aspect of the day. Most of it is hanging out with friends. Now if I want to game at the store in town...it is the drive that kills me (25mi) one way to play a game. It is hard to motivate myself to pack up all those mini's and THEN drive, set it all up, re-pack it up, and go all the way back again. Ugh.

:cries:

arthurfallz
04-10-2012, 17:00
My own games have to be fit in as extra around my Role-Playing Games, so it doesn't happen very often. My group tries to do things monthly, but it's been over a month since I got a battle in. Part of the reason I'm thinking of taking up Lord of the Rings more actively, as the skirmish games seem easier to run (and 40k).

pointyteeth
04-10-2012, 18:31
I do spend more time talking about the game and working on models than I do playing. Fortunately, I do go to two tournaments a year as this is one of the few ways I manage to get games in.

Majinmonkey
04-10-2012, 19:31
I try to get in a game or two a week, but sometimes I go a few Weeks without since GW has to share its time with paizo and WotC.

snyggejygge
04-10-2012, 21:23
I play wargames about once per month, half of that time I play Warhammer (roughly 6 games a year), the other half it's either Hordes of the Things or a game called Drakriddarna (translates to dragon Knights), I have rules for even more games but find it hard to get the time to play, let alone teach my opponents a new game.

Storyteller
04-10-2012, 22:40
It varies from year to year, right now my studies and family commitments mean it is about once every 2 months.

I'd always like to play more, but I am fortunate to have some good mates who are really into the hobby so I don't have issues finding a game when I have the time: we're all busy but with a bit of forward planning it's all good. One of my mates (the most serious hobbyist of us) has five fully painted (beautiful) armies which also makes things easier since there is always an army there to play with!

Why
05-10-2012, 05:24
Almost every week sometimes twice a week.

Spiney Norman
05-10-2012, 09:57
There is a group of us take over a local pub's function room every tuesday night so I generally get at least one game a week, if not a couple of a tuesday, then sometimes on a saturday we get together round each others houses for extra/bigger games.

Because most of the club members play both WFB and 40K I play a fair bit of both, we are currently running a 40K Tale of 12 Gamers series and a WFB badlands style campaign on alternate weeks

vinush
05-10-2012, 20:04
I get to play at least once a week, sometimes twice (or depending on how long games take, three times a week!)

THE \/ince

logan054
05-10-2012, 22:07
I don't like 8th edition. Happily 9th edition should be less than 2 years away now. Here's hoping for more interesting rules!

Sadly, I think 9th ed will just be a tweak if 8th ed, who knows, maybe they will fix how magic works, make MR worth taking.

Urgat
05-10-2012, 22:11
Well, sadly for some, hopefully for others :p

logan054
05-10-2012, 22:15
I generally like 8th, certain things that annoy me I don't see really changing until 10th ed, if they change magic so it takes more of a supporting role rather than being what wins or lose you the game, I will be a happy person, I would also love to see cavalry get back some power.

If I'm on a hobby mode, I like to play once a week. I guess I could play more often if I wanted to, but usually one match per week is enough.

I just spent almost half a year without playing or painting. It felt good to come back.

Urgat
05-10-2012, 22:30
I generally like 8th, certain things that annoy me I don't see really changing until 10th ed, if they change magic so it takes more of a supporting role rather than being what wins or lose you the game, I will be a happy person, I would also love to see cavalry get back some power.

The magic rules themselves are fine, it's really some spells of the BRB rules that break it all. There's no game winning spell in any of my armybook lores.

Feefait
05-10-2012, 22:55
My group was on a pretty good pace of once a month, maybe more on good months but recently 2 of them moved out fo town and the other is spotty with reliability. I am reluctant to play pick ups, especially as our LGS is dominated by Magic and YuGiOh so the hour drive to the store for the chance of either not finding a game or not finding a partner I want to play is ls daunting. My cases have been brought up to the attic and are, alas, collecting dust.

Warrior of Chaos
05-10-2012, 23:14
Well if any of you all are ever in southern AZ near Sierra Vista, let me know. LOL

King Arthur
06-10-2012, 10:37
1-2 times a week rare that I do not get a game

Warrior of Chaos
11-10-2012, 14:24
I'm shocked firstly that "several times a year" is the only option in the poll for "yes I play often". :eek: I'm more shocked at how many warseerites don't even get that!

I think that it may be our busy lives as well as choice of games. I would love to have a weekly game, but trying to get any consistent players is almost impossible. I'm 35 and my friends range from my age up to 50-ish. We all have kids, wives, hectic jobs and I think sometimes our obligations just get the better of us. My friends are always jealous of me because my wife allows me so much time to paint and create terrian..etc., but I'd gladly give up some of the spare time painting to have a regular game.:( What good is pretty models and custom terrain if nobody uses it?

Eternus
11-10-2012, 15:34
What good is pretty models and custom terrain if nobody uses it?

When you struggle to get games, this is one of the things most likely to make me question taking part in the hobby at all.

Lord Inquisitor
11-10-2012, 16:37
What good is pretty models and custom terrain if nobody uses it?
That sucks. Well, I guess just hope that the dearth of players is a temporary thing. I've found periods of time without opponents to be frustrating but there are players out there. I know very well the pressures of family, work, etc., and most of my gaming friends are in the same boat but we're able to put aside a night a week to get together. Sometimes we can do this while multi-tasking - bringing my kids round to play with my friend's kids and they play while we play ... and the wives get a day to themselves. I also recommend trying to get out to some tournaments, it's a great way to (a) get a good couple of games in and (b) meet local people you might not otherwise know.

VAharleygirl
15-10-2012, 04:22
Single mom, working 2-3 jobs; yeah.... not a lot of playing time.

I've played more the past few months than the past 6 years. My Bretts were @ my parents' place, now I play my Dad or referee him vs the 15 y/o or 10 y/o grandsons, due to his dementia.
Luckily the 15 y/o is learning his TK rules quickly - I can't track exact rules for 4 ******* armies along w/ learning 8th ed.

I'm just glad I didn't get rid of my figures - just tallied up, and I have 9200 legal w/ Fay & tGK but no King, and about 70% assembled. I think only about 5k w/ Leoun, Fay & Green.