PDA

View Full Version : Who games at home and who games in a store/LGS/club?

lijah_cuu
03-10-2012, 14:01
I wanted to set up this poll to try and get an idea of where people game.
A lot of discussion seems to fester around people not enjoying gaming instore due to gamer funk, sticky fingered urchins, lack of space etc so I though it might be useful to see where people actually can game.

Options 5 & 6 are further questions so we can get an idea of why you game where you game. (if that makes sense!!)

Inquisitor Shego
03-10-2012, 14:04
I am not married, I do not have kids. I play at home :D

Mini77
03-10-2012, 14:06
I have two tables at home and live 10 minutes from Maelstrom Games and 30 minutes from Warhammer World, so I split my games between all of them.

ForgottenLore
03-10-2012, 15:40
I wish there was an easy way to link and cross reference multiple polls. I think this topic (and many others) would be more interesting if the results could be broken down by nation/region.

shelfunit.
03-10-2012, 16:11
Combination of LGS, Club and home, although the LGS has become far less frequent now I have a 2yr old. I wouldn't be able to play in a GW as most/all of my armies have many non-GW minis.

The bearded one
03-10-2012, 16:15
COmbo of GW, LGS and home, but the homefront hasn't seen a lot of action in recent years.

Scaryscarymushroom
03-10-2012, 16:20
With the last few games I've played (3rd ed. 40k, Warmachine & Malifaux), one was played in a friend's dining room with six 2'x2' modular terrain that I provided, one was played on a card table on another friend's back patio with nine 1'x1' modular terrain squares that I provided, and one was played with my younger brother on a card table on my parent's backyard deck with four 2'x2' modular terrain squares, again, that I provided.

If I played at home, it would probably be floor-hammer which I don't particularly like. Or else I'd need to go buy a table to play on. I live with people and the dining room table is small and usually covered with nice tablecloths, floral arrangements and hand blown glass. It would be a pain to move the stuff, so I don't really bother. Especially when I need an opponent anyway. It's easier to take the game to them. :shifty:

Vos
03-10-2012, 17:03
I am married and have a kid. I play at home.
Indeed, I have an (attached to the house) double garage boarded out with a 6 foot by 9 foot permanent gaming table.

Yes, I count myself very lucky.

Vos

Skaven13
03-10-2012, 18:21
I am married and have a kid. I play at home.
Indeed, I have an (attached to the house) double garage boarded out with a 6 foot by 9 foot permanent gaming table.

Yes, I count myself very lucky.

Vos

I count you lucky as well! I am also married, one kid, one on the way, and we typically play at home. Last game was on the dining room table with four 2'x4' terrain boards put on it. There were....interruptions heh.

6mmhero
03-10-2012, 18:22
Mostly play down my local club these days and occasionally at a friends house.

Radium
03-10-2012, 18:55
Club mostly. Every now and then (although this is getting increasingly rare) I game at the LGS.

Scaryscarymushroom
03-10-2012, 19:15
Where on earth do you people find gaming clubs? How are they any different from an LGS? Do they pay rent, or is it like somebody just happened to have an apartment they could fill with gaming tables or what?

Angelwing
03-10-2012, 19:17
Home gamer. 6x4 collapsible board. Occasionally play at other peoples homes. I keep meaning to go down to the FLGS and have a game, but their gaming night is a work night for me. Local GW is about 45mins to and hour away, a small store with very few tables. I might not be able to get a game, and the gamble isn't worth the fuel or traffic.

arthurfallz
03-10-2012, 19:26
Play at home. I have a 6' x 4' board I put over the dining room table. Helps that I board in the house of a fellow gamer. My kids are old enough that they're not a menace.

ForgottenLore
03-10-2012, 21:56
Where on earth do you people find gaming clubs? How are they any different from an LGS? Do they pay rent, or is it like somebody just happened to have an apartment they could fill with gaming tables or what?

From what I have been able to gather, the answer to your question is "Europe and England". Gaming club, the way it gets meant here, seems to be a largely alien concept in the states.

DarkLordBelial
03-10-2012, 22:47
I game at home, but would love to go to a local club but I can find none in the area that are available at the times I am not working :(

I'm usually only available weekends as I work late during the week.

DonkeyMan
04-10-2012, 02:38
I play at home. Main reason for that is sadly the bad experience I had with certain gamers in clubs/stores.
Don't know if I was just unlucky, but for some reason I often ended up playing against people who where either cheating, bad at losing or generally unfriendly.

So my friends and me ended up playing at someones home usually. And these days it's only me and my wife and usually just Blood Bowl, Malifaux and small Warmahordes skirmishes.

StraightSilver
04-10-2012, 09:19
I game at home and at a mate's house.

I have a 6' x 4' table that we set up in the flat and game on that, it's actually made from 2 noticeboards from work, they haven't missed them so far..... ;)

My mate also has a 6' x 4' table which is made from 2 Ikea fold up tables.

Living in London space is premium so we have to have a table which can be easily stored out of the way so unfortunately a Realm of Battle isn't an option, and to be honest neither is a modular table as we just don't have the space, but that would be my ideal table.

We used to game in the Bromley Battle Bunker. Originally it was for over 16s and was quite a nice place to play, but then that was relaxed and it quickly filed up with noisy, bogey fingered annoying children. I know that sounds mean but it just wasn't a pleasant experience.

We do go up to warhammer World 2-3 times a year though but go up on a week day when it's quiet and that's always nice, 40K just seems so much better when there's a bar less than 20 feet away! :)

lorelorn
04-10-2012, 10:57

I thought I’d reply to this with one example I can speak to, and anyone else who runs or helps run a club please chime in. Also I will finish with a question.

I’m from one of those countries where gaming typically takes place in clubs. I’m currently helping to run one such club (http://qlegs.wordpress.com/).

We meet in a school hall which we rent for the day from the school’s association. They are also good enough to let us store our games, tables and terrain at the hall in between meetings.

Our members include board, card and miniature game players, most members play two of those three, some just one, and a very few all three (including our current club President).

We exist as a not-for-profit incorporated association. This probably means little outside of Australia but it means we have a legal entity, and have favourable tax treatment in return for not distributing profits (ie we cannot pay a dividend).

Our annual costs are hall hire and insurance both for the games and also public liability insurance for the organisation – a necessity). This comes to roughly $2,500. They are paid through membership fees, and we also run a canteen as the hall comes with kitchen facilities.

As an active community group we are involved with some local charities (http://qlegs.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/ms-and-young-care-gaming-nights/), and also try to plug into any gamer community events in the area, usually by running a free board game ‘chill out zone’ where people can come, play a couple of rounds of Settlers of Catan or Dominion, and move on.

We aren’t the only club in our city, and while we run events we don’t run the largest. The largest gaming convention in Australia (at least until PAX Aus) is CanCon (http://www.cgs.asn.au/index.php/cancon), run by the Canberra Gamers Society, a club not unlike our own.

This is how gaming often is in Australia, New Zealand, UK and Europe. Like-minded gamers coming together under a common banner with common goals – usually a reliable and fun place to play. The more active the committee, the more and larger events a club can run.

Our club hits the ‘family gaming’ angle as our unique selling point, and our memberships (http://qlegs.wordpress.com/about/) are structured around that. We have a very large library of games, terrain, and tabletops which we have built up over the years through reinvesting profits or from receiving community group grants from various organisations.

We’ve recently introduced a gamification system (http://qlegs.wordpress.com/a-game-of-games/), where members earn points and gain achievements playing games over a multi-year system. The multi-year part is important as we need to give people a reason to renew their annual membership. We also have ongoing leagues for several games.

One thing that is necessary to keep any club going are the ability to continue to attract new members, and the ability to rotate the committee (as people can and do burn out). Two of our founding five committee members are on this year’s committee, same as last year, but not the same two individuals.
This is just one example of what a gaming club is and can be.

I have always wondered why this situation prevails in some countries but not the US, perhaps US gamers could enlighten me, do your shops have the space, time, and ability to fill this niche, or is there no community infrastructure to support a club system, or is it something else?

paddyalexander
04-10-2012, 11:29
Most of the games I play now adays only require a 4'x4' so I have one of those set up permamently in my hobby/bed room (I've been asked on more than one occassion by people seeing for the room for the first time "where do you sleep?"). I also game regularly enough at a non-local game store called Gamers World in Dublin (280km away) who have a fantastic gaming space & great selection of games.

I have two portable 6'x4' tables (I experimented in making the frame & leg assembly of one of them out of steel & it ended up wieghing about 40 pounds) and 3 4'x4' table toppers that I can break out and use at other peoples houses or ocassionaly at the local pub when I can organise a group of local gamers together. I recently set the light wieght 6'x4' table up in a friends' converted loft. there is a lot of room up there so it makes a better gaming space than my room when there are more than 3 people.

Funky01chef
04-10-2012, 11:44
From what I have been able to gather, the answer to your question is "Europe and England". Gaming club, the way it gets meant here, seems to be a largely alien concept in the states.

This tends to be because the concept of the FLGS that you get in the US is largly unheard of over here (specifically in the UK) where we have a few notable exceptions (Maelstrom, Tabletop Nation, Tripple Helix) but generally games stores are either GW, small indipendants without the room for games/ single games table or an additional product line in a more general toy/hobby store.

So we come together in groups, hire an appropriate space on a regular basis, and play games away from the enforced restictions of others (GW I'm looking at you)

Killgore
04-10-2012, 13:54
I sometimes play at a local club and at a LGS.

However I spend most of my time playing at home, only got room for a 4X4 board but I cram it with city fight terrain to make it interesting.

Scaryscarymushroom
04-10-2012, 17:33
I have always wondered why this situation prevails in some countries but not the US, perhaps US gamers could enlighten me, do your shops have the space, time, and ability to fill this niche, or is there no community infrastructure to support a club system, or is it something else?

Hmm. Most successful gaming stores that I have been to have several tables and will host meetups like "Go night" the first Tuesday of every month, "Dominion night" the second Thursday, open gaming every Wednesday, gaming (with or without a small cover charge) on Friday nights, 40k leagues on the 2nd and 4th Saturday and Magic the Gathering twice a month like clockwork. Or some such calendar of events... Of course, if you showed up to play a game outside of the scheduled calendar, you wouldn't be turned away, but you'd probably need to bring an opponent with you because if anyone is at the store, they'd probably have come to play the scheduled game.

Escalation leagues, planetstrike campaigns and/or tournaments are moderately common in stores. Certain well known stores such as The War Store (http://www.thewarstore.com/) host huge events that are like a miniature version of games day (only for games from several companies).

I have two portable 6'x4' tables (I experimented in making the frame & leg assembly of one of them out of steel & it ended up wieghing about 40 pounds) and 3 4'x4' table toppers that I can break out and use at other peoples houses or ocassionaly at the local pub when I can organise a group of local gamers together.

A pub? Wow. Makes pubs sound like a hang-out space, rather than what I'm used to. Pub in the US means 'micro-brewery+restaurant maybe with a billiard table' so the concept is very foreign to me. I was in Europe once and went to a pub that served almost exclusively Guinness, came inside, sat down and was very confused when a server didn't bring me a menu.

Khornies & milk
05-10-2012, 02:04
I play at home and also at other people's houses who are part of the gaming group. We're lucky enough to have the space to keep our gaming boards permanently set up, even the Apoc board that is made with 3 8x4 boards joined to form the 1 board.

Saves a lot of time and is probably the reason we can play 100's of games a year, and some can even last for several weeks if we want - campaigns and such.

Our group is heavily into FW and it'a probably the main reason we formed our group and set up tables in our houses, so we don't get the crap from the anti-FW crowd about 'official' nonsense etc, and any casual players invited to play with us know the drill so bitching is not an issue faced at all, well unless we venture out into the wider community.

ForgottenLore
05-10-2012, 02:50

An interesting question, and one that I don't think has a definitive answer.

Certainly available space can be an issue. If there is one thing the US has a lot of, its space. Most of the game stores that I've encountered tend to be in out of the way or less trafficked areas to keep rent down, such stores tend to be more spacious because, well, they can be. For the most part in the US there is no such thing as the "high street" (if I even understand the term properly). Since you drive everywhere, the fact that the game store is 10 miles out of town isn't a big deal.

I think a bigger issue though (and I have no data to back this up, just supposition) is that for many (many) years in the US gaming was not an "acceptable" hobby. Kids would get beat up for playing D&D, adults would feel that they might be laughed at if they admitted to playing with army men and then there was the whole anti-fantasy religious hysteria that could result in persecution of anyone defending such "geek" hobbies. Such an environment makes for a low population of gamers, and an unwillingness to try and actively recruit new people. Growing up you tended to get into gaming with a specific group of friends, maybe a half dozen or so, and that is who you played games with. I've heard dozens of stories from people along the lines of "I used to play such and such, but then I moved and didn't have anyone to play with so I just kind of dropped it". Originally stores were places you went to, bought stuff, and came home. At some point though, stores started providing places to play, probably as a way to entice more people to come to the store, and it just kinda stuck. I suspect the club model could be made to work here if someone were sufficiently motivated to put in the work of recruiting and managing, but why bother, the local store probably has a larger pool of players than you could recruit, free play space, accessories for purchase if you find you need something in the middle of a game. Where's the benefit of a club that you have to pay for and that has the potential to come across as cliquish and limiting? Not saying there aren't clubs in the US, just that there is considerable less incentive to organize them. Most universities probably have one or more game clubs, but I'm not sure those are really the same thing.

Just some thought. Like I said, this is all fairly off the cuff so I could be dead wrong. The Anthropologist in me thinks it would be an interesting study though.

lorelorn
05-10-2012, 05:55
An interesting question, and one that I don't think has a definitive answer.
Just some thought. Like I said, this is all fairly off the cuff so I could be dead wrong. The Anthropologist in me thinks it would be an interesting study though.

Ditto, I think this would be an area worthy of comparative study!

Evil Hypnotist
05-10-2012, 06:49
I play my regular opponents at home (I'm lucky enough to have space for my own wargames room) but will normally try and arrange to play other members of my gaming club at our meeting hall. Multiplayer games are normally done at the club because it has more space.

Hicks
05-10-2012, 08:25
I have a very nice dedicated game room in my basement and it's something I have wanted for the longest time. When I'm not playing at my house, I usually play at my friends places. I very rarely play in gamestores, since I don't really like the cliques that always form, you can't have a beer with your pretzels and I'm working during the evenings.

Daniel36
05-10-2012, 09:54
Where on earth do you people find gaming clubs?

People form them, of course! I have successfully set up two gaming clubs myself, and it's really not that hard. All you need to do is invest some time, that's all. The first one we were lucky in that we could use (a lot of) room in our LGS, but when the store got closed they went to a community center and are now "clubbing" in a local elementary school. (I moved to another city)

It's funny, in this day and age of wikipedia and "social media" (the most misleading term ever), very few people seem to realize that it is so easy to just go out there and set something up. It's the reason community centers are dying out, at least here in Holland.

Find a community center in your area, ask them if they have a spot in their schedule in which you can set up a club. They will probably ask you a few quid rent, which you can pay by asking a small fee from the gamers that come. If there isn't a community center in your area, go find other venues. For this, you will have to think outside the box. When we were looking for a new place for my second club, I asked local schools, kindergartens, even an elderly home place... There are so many places that aren't in use at night that you could potentially use. In an elementary school, if you know someone there, you could easily use their arts and crafts room... No need for newspapers if the tables are already filled with paint, right?

We ended up in another community center which at first were apprehensive because they already hosted another wargamers club. Since I got to know a couple of their club members, they eventually decided it was a good idea.

It takes some perseverance, but honestly, setting up a gaming club is sooooo easy. However, sitting in front of your PC screen Faceboking and whatnot is supposedly even easier... which is why so few people just go out there and get it done.

DarthSte
05-10-2012, 10:17
I only ever game at home or at friends houses.

Easy E
05-10-2012, 13:46
Typically, I paly my regualr opponents at either my house or their house. I have a dedicated game room, but a game like Blood Bowl doesn't require that.

I go to the LGS when I want something different, or my friends are not available due to scheduling. However, I'm not a fan of pick-up games. I helped get a couple LGS game nights going, and once it had a healthy community, promptly dropped out because it had gotten too big.

I also tried a club, but it was a bad fit style wise, and the scheduling became a challenge.

Now, I'm pretty happy to just play my buddies at home whenever I can.

stroller
06-10-2012, 10:03
Home, friends homs and local stores. Occasional visits elsewhere or conventions

MyNameDidntFit
06-10-2012, 10:28
For me this one is a little interesting.

I play at our club as well as my house. This comes in two parts: 1) my back room/bar is set up permanently for games with friends and, 2) my shed is our club hall--it's large enough to fit five 6x4 tables along with a couple smaller ones for BB, card games and the like with plenty of space to move around, storage and a fridge for members to purchase drinks/nibbles. Best of all, the price of using it is equal to running a moderately sized fridge.

We used to use a hall in town, but the rent for it became an issue and about a fortnight after we moved to my shed, the old building was condemned anyway :p

It takes a bit of effort, especially if you're in a smaller town/city but there are definitely ways to make it work if you've got a core of a few people who are willing to do the work.

BigbyWolf
06-10-2012, 10:39
I game anywhere but GW.

Warllama
06-10-2012, 10:45
I mostly play in homes. The majority of the time I travel to my mates place in Caerphilly which is 20 mins on the train. My KR cases are very handy for this. He has a realm of battle board and enough space to set up the full 6x4.

recently I also purchased a RoB however I currently only have the space for a 4x4. This is something I hope to rectify in the new year when me and my girlfriend move from a flat to a house, I've been promised a gaming room!

i have occasionally played at our local gaming shop/club firestorm games however I much prefer the comfort of being in a home with proper chairs, access to a cooker for food, plenty of drink to hand, tv on in the background and plenty of distractions! Our gaming tends to stretch to a whole day of messing around which isn't always easy to do in style at a shop!