PDA

View Full Version : A struggle of choice; Still undecided - Bretonnia or Sylvania

Ealdwulf
03-10-2012, 17:04
I think I've made this post for different armies the last two weeks...sigh. Lord knows I've bought plenty of minis over the years just because.

I made a post last week about playing Vampire Counts or Empire.

The overwhelming feedback I got pushed me towards the Vampire Counts: The fantastic models, the army build diversity, solid army book. I used to play Dwarfs back in the day and wanted something quite different and versatile, thus why Vampire Counts won out in my mind over The Empire.

However I'm a big history nerd, and Bretonnia definitely calls to me in that regard. I like the juxtaposition of the shining knights and downtrodden peasantry. I love the potential that this army has fluff wise and I think GW could do amazing things with it down the road. So I guess I'm on the fence again...

I'm still leaning towards Vampire Counts but I really do love the High Medieval feel of the Bretonnians. I like the prospect of an army that is a bit on the harder side (these days) but with a refresh right around the corner, supposedly. My few hold ups about Bretonnians, and I know this is the common conception is that it's just KNIGHTS KNIGHT KNIGHTS, and there are only a few viable builds. I would ask veteran Bretonnian players if this is true? I'm not a tournament player, and I'm far more concerned with the collecting aspect of the game.

My other concern about picking up Bretonnians, is that if this army gets redone in the near future (in the next year), will they dump the old models like they did when Wood Elves got revamped back in 2005 or whatever that was? I feel like the Bretonnian models are actually fairly decent if a bit static, especially the Men at Arms and the Bowmen. I just wanted to get a feel of what you guys think, would I get bored playing bretonnians or is there more versatility there than meets the eye initially, and would it be a wasted effort to build an army of these guys if the models are going to get redone soon?

Thanks!

Malorian
03-10-2012, 17:15
Play vampires! Do it! Do it NOW!!!

m1acca1551
03-10-2012, 18:31
Play vampires! Do it! Do it NOW!!!

Who can say no to such an in depth argument :p

But seriously play vc, mix the 2... have your vampire army based around a brettonian lord etc

Ealdwulf
03-10-2012, 18:55
Who can say no to such an in depth argument :p

But seriously play vc, mix the 2... have your vampire army based around a brettonian lord etc'

I've definitely considered a Mousillon army, it seems like a fun way to go. However I think I'd probably go pure Bretonnian or pure normal Vampires if it came down to it.

Though I wouldn't mind mixing the Black Knight kits with Bretonnian kits to see what I can come up with.

I guess my fear with Bretonnia is two things, would they get boring (I feel like this is a misconception) and do people feel that GW will completely revamp the model line?

VC are endless hours of fun. The new army book is solid with various builds to try out, so I can't recommend it enough. Bretonnian's aren't bad either, but I'm pretty sure you can trust the VC book more to provide entertainment and be up to date with things. Note that I don't play Brets myself, just against them now and then. I'm a fan of both!

Kayosiv
03-10-2012, 22:10
Here's what you do.

1. Pick vampires. Seriously, do it. Right now.

2. When Bretonnia gets it's new book in a few years, start them.

Bam, all problem's solved.

logan054
03-10-2012, 22:27
Well I will say something similar to what I said before, why not do a Bret based VC army? Knights of the realm/knights errant = black knights, Grail knights = blood knights, convert your men at arms into skeletons/zombies, you could even convert some knights on foot to be grave guard

Targ Ironfist
03-10-2012, 23:11
Vampires are probably better now, there are realy many builds that can be used and are interesting to play. The book is strong, but seems balanced (to me at least).

With Brettons, you do not have to go knights completely, but peasants are realy weak and do not have a great synergy with the rest of the army. BUT, you could play an English style 100 years war army with a lot of archers + knights.

I am right now tempted to test this army as it seems to be a total fun! :D

Bingo the Fun Monkey
04-10-2012, 11:47
Here's what you do.

1. Pick vampires. Seriously, do it. Right now.

2. When Bretonnia gets it's new book in a few years, start them.

Bam, all problem's solved.

Yes.

My best friend plays Brets. After 12 years I still don't find them boring to face (but my army makes "boring" difficult to achieve unless Teclis is on the other side of the table.....). Furthermore, Brets are the only army he's ever collected. I think Brets are rewarding for the following reasons:

1) For the long-term collector, nothing will occupy your time like coming up with heraldry and painting it on. This also defeats the monotony of paining tens of the same model.
2) Brets have a definitive playstyle. The opponent knows what to expect and the cunning Bretonnian general can use this prejudice against him.
3) Tons to people play VC. Who takes Brets? No one recommended them. Clearly, you won't hear "oh, another Bret player...great >_>" in the game store.
4) Medieval>Renaissance

To their credit, however, the current VC are VERY good (in terms of internal and external balance, not power). I've been tempted more than once since the new book came out, especially since the line feels more like the old school 4th ed Undead minus the silliness of mummies.

Ealdwulf
04-10-2012, 21:36
Yes.

My best friend plays Brets. After 12 years I still don't find them boring to face (but my army makes "boring" difficult to achieve unless Teclis is on the other side of the table.....). Furthermore, Brets are the only army he's ever collected. I think Brets are rewarding for the following reasons:

1) For the long-term collector, nothing will occupy your time like coming up with heraldry and painting it on. This also defeats the monotony of paining tens of the same model.
2) Brets have a definitive playstyle. The opponent knows what to expect and the cunning Bretonnian general can use this prejudice against him.
3) Tons to people play VC. Who takes Brets? No one recommended them. Clearly, you won't hear "oh, another Bret player...great >_>" in the game store.
4) Medieval>Renaissance

To their credit, however, the current VC are VERY good (in terms of internal and external balance, not power). I've been tempted more than once since the new book came out, especially since the line feels more like the old school 4th ed Undead minus the silliness of mummies.

Great advice! You say that Bretonnian generals tend to use this arrogance of the opponent against them, can you give an example, none of my friends play Bretonnians. Hell, I've never even seen a Bretonnian army in person (on the table top that is).

Storyteller
04-10-2012, 22:22
I say raise your banner for Bretonnia and the Lady, sir!

I grew up in the UK with Usborne books on knights and castles and the love followed me through to history honours at uni so I think we may have the history bit in common there.

For me, knights, knights, knights is exactly what does it... every time I move one of the lances I get to imagine fluttering pennants cresting a hill in a movie...and everytime you get to charge... just pure cinema!

The caveat on this comment is that most of my experience is from previous editions (a lot from 5th actually!), I've always been more about the story than the tactics, and I have only played one game in 8th with Bretonnians (which was against VC incidentally!). The magic was definately still there for me, even if I can't expect my knightly units to single handedly break infantry blocks on the charge anymore.

That said, the Vampire Counts are a classic force with plenty of cinematic imaginings too (I do the zombie sound effects for my regular opponent). I really like them too, they seem like great fun to play and I'm glad my regular opponent has them.

For me it is Bretonnians though :)

Commodus Leitdorf
04-10-2012, 22:52
PSh! The advice here! When the choice is between Brettonian's and Vampire counts the answer is a Vampire counts army out of converted Brettonian's to represent Mousillion (The City of the Damned!).

Black Knights out of Knights of the realm! Peasant Skeleton warriors! I mean come on guys! ;)

whatever
04-10-2012, 23:03
Said it last time round, go vc and convert up! Just wait brettonian will one day get a new book and figs and I will buy!

TheDungen
06-10-2012, 12:21
i'd say go bretts, then you'll have a army that much fewer people play, also you'll have the satisfaction once you have learned them to set down you army being told how much bretts suck because they army book is old and then beating your opponent. Classic.

Otherwise you could make an army that could play as either. No obvious undead units but alot of dark armoured knights that could be either living or dead.
Though i would make a brettonian army with more death iconography and bleak cowed peasents rather than an army of undead knights. The latter have been done before. But if you keep to living minis and armoured minis you cna say that the knights could be either living or dead and that the peasentry is forced to fight for the lord not knowing if he's a true knight or a vampire. SOmethign like the SoC Von Carstein list but based in brettonia instead.

if you want other ideas there's plenty of movies to watch, anything with knights in it

Game of Thrones (for a more dark approach to the theme)
First Knight (everyone loves Sean Connery)
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (cause everyone do love Sean connery)
Dragonheart ("A knight is sworn to valor", did i mention sean connery does the dragons voice?)
Merlin (the 1998 mini series)
Kingdom Of Heaven (and i'm out of funny things to say)
Timeline
Excalibur

and prolly many more.