PDA

View Full Version : Gaming with the other half.

Still Standing
04-10-2012, 21:19
All of a sudden my better half has decided she is taking an interest in 40k. Awesome, right? :) She's played a few games so far, helped me paint and build some of my figures, and even built me some terrain. Today we build the first half of our 6x4 gaming table, and are about to use it for our first game using the full rules. Not that she knows them yet, but she'll get there. :) Anyway, here are some pictures of the game we're about to play. She's using some of my Sisters of Battle, and I'm using my new heresy era Thousand Sons (using Codex: Space Marines).

Marines:

-Tigerius
-10 Marines w/ Melta, Multi-melta, Combi-Melta, Power Fist
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon
-10 Marines w/ Melta, Missile Launcher, Combi-Melta, Power Fist
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon
-5 Terminators w/ Heavy Flamer
-Contemptor Dread w/ dual Power Fists, dual Heavy Flamers
Lucius Drop Pod

About 1200 points.

Sisters:

-Saint Celestine
-4x 10 Sisters w/ Heavy Flamer, Melta Gun
-8x Seraphim w/ 2x Dual Inferno Pistols, Evisorator
-3x Exorcists
-Immolator (I know this doesn't fit in the FoC, but she wanted another tank so it was "pretty" on the table)

About 1400 points.

Both of us, and half our table. :)

That's quite a lot of power armour!

I'm so screwed...

MDSW
04-10-2012, 22:30
Your better half plays 40k with you!!???!!!

If not already, marry the girl immediately....

Godzooky
04-10-2012, 23:01
Lucky.

My girlfriend looks at me like this whenever I get remotely hobbyish in her vicinity: :eyebrows:

Still Standing
04-10-2012, 23:01
Yep, pretty awesome. :)

Anyway, we finished the game. Was very, very close. Here is a picture of what we had at the end of the game.

We called the game when we realised I had a Contemptor dread left (with 1 arm) that she had no way of hurting... Close came though! :)

Maidel
04-10-2012, 23:05
My wife likes 'the only way is essex' and clothes. I like wargaming, RPGs and computers.

Ive given up all hope for her, but I have high hopes for my 2 year old daughter....

Still Standing
04-10-2012, 23:11
Well the misses likes X Factor and all that crap too. I like those things you listed for yourself, among other things. Maybe I can bring her over to the geek side? :) I live in hope.

Maidel
04-10-2012, 23:14
Well the misses likes X Factor and all that crap too. I like those things you listed for yourself, among other things. Maybe I can bring her over to the geek side? :) I live in hope.

Ive LOOOOOOOONG given up hope I really have.

She got drunk the other night and said she wanted to play an MORPG. I got very excited, but the next day she denied all knowledge of that conversation.

Sigh....

Still Standing
04-10-2012, 23:22
As awesome as it is that she is trying this stuff out, I really hope she gets better at making terrain pieces... Look at the stuff in the pictures... It's terrible, but I can't say that too her or I might put her off.

Maidel
04-10-2012, 23:24
As awesome as it is that she is trying this stuff out, I really hope she gets better at making terrain pieces... Look at the stuff in the pictures... It's terrible, but I can't say that too her or I might put her off.

My wife could use books and my daughters happy land play houses for all I care.

Actually, if I used all the stuff my daughter has it would would make a pretty damn good city fighting board... bit out of scale, but...

RunepriestRidcully
04-10-2012, 23:46
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only... BARBIE???

Necrontyr
05-10-2012, 00:01
My gf flipped through the rulebook, and squeed at the Orks. When I told her about the red ones going fasta, she was hooked. She has about 1000pt army now and just loves them.

blackcherry
05-10-2012, 00:07
Ive LOOOOOOOONG given up hope I really have.

She got drunk the other night and said she wanted to play an MORPG. I got very excited, but the next day she denied all knowledge of that conversation.

Sigh....

That sounds...similar...to conversations my girlfriend and I have when she gets tipsy:shifty:. She just gets embarrassed when I bring it up again when shes sober. Oh the things we aren't doing:shifty:

igwarlord
05-10-2012, 00:14
My wife has been a gamer since the day I met her. In a comic shop no less. She likes to paint up my models that are important to my forces like commanders and such.

DyeNasty
05-10-2012, 00:20
haha My girlfriend is my only partner for playing right now, there seems to be next to no warhammer community here. I got interested because she likes to do paint by numbers, so i told her she might like painting wee effin army men, and bam! two boxes of random units later she decided she might be interested in playing!! its all about finding a way it can relate to her interests,

but then again my GF kicks my ass at COD zombies, so it wasnt that hard....

IcedCrow
05-10-2012, 00:21
Mine has no interest what so ever in little men.

Horus38
05-10-2012, 00:30
My gf flipped through the rulebook, and squeed at the Orks. When I told her about the red ones going fasta, she was hooked. He has about 1000pt army now and just loves them.

I'll assume that was meant to be "she" ? ;)

Necrontyr
05-10-2012, 00:47
I'll assume that was meant to be "she" ? ;)
Yes SHE. Typo.

DivineVisitor
05-10-2012, 06:21
Madmen the lot of you, i'd have to find a new hobby if the other half decided to start playing :eek:

Sigtyr
05-10-2012, 06:33
You should casually tell her to watch this video. This is the same technique we use to make our buildings and it comes out quite nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9cjCqjo6yA&feature=fvwrel

Also Styrofoam looks really good for broken walls once painted.

nedsta
05-10-2012, 10:34
My lass was dead keen about my hobby when we met and even painted a few figures with me the other year, now she just looks at me like I've punched her in the ovaries when it comes to my hobby, but she should realise that she'll never struggle to find me a birthday or christmas pressie I actually want now, plus it keeps me quiet and she knows where I am all the time.

hobbic_c
05-10-2012, 11:16
Haven't got my gf much into gaming yet besides space hulk and dreadfleet... although I did get alot of help with assembling and painting 112 guardsmen & 4 sentinels :D

Fizzy
05-10-2012, 11:21
I got lucky getting my better half into the hobby as well. She got a playable Dark eldar army right now.

She cares mostly about painting but we play once and a while.

Those buildings.. They look a little thin xD

mannyuk99
05-10-2012, 12:15
My girlfriend attend at GT at worhammer world with me a couple of years ago...and wow, she wasn't impressed with the sorts of people there lol. First game i had the guy was constantly scratching his crotch in front of her lol, i though she was going to be sick. Luckily, she was willing to give it another go, and popped in to watch me at a FoW tourney, and she was much more impressed with the turnout of people, and they actually spoke to her, instead of just giving her sideways glances lol.She is also interested in when i paint the models, and thinks they looks smart when an army comes together.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
05-10-2012, 13:56
My wife plays XBOX games with me like Borderlands :) or if I don't play them after giving them to me she plays them for me. She will play Space sometimes and she like Descent and other various dungeon crawlers. its the loot.
Recently she affectionately calls my 40K, Battletech miniatures my little dudes.
I got my daughter hooked on Minecraft, but she has no interest in 40K and the likes. However, given a box of miniatures and time she can create quite a fight seen.
I guess my wife's biggest rub off from me was Legos which we both love. I need to make a 40K battlefield out of it one day.

Ambience 327
05-10-2012, 14:28
My wife enjoys tabletop gaming with me, though she prefers LoTR and Heroquest to 40K, but I can still get her to play in the grimdark future from time to time.

ladykatz_02
05-10-2012, 15:49
I am someone's wife and we play WFB together (i used to play 40k and LOTR as well). Gasp, I know. I am an anomaly.

In my experience there's a few reasons you're ladies are not more interested. The main one being that geek-ness is perceived to be a mans thing to do and not the woman. Women tend to get blank stares and uncomfortable silence when they come around instead of the same comradary the guys get. That's another thing...Guys have gotten so used to women not being there that a lot of things get said that most women don't want to stand and listen to but they want you to have your guy time so they declined.

To those who want their spouses or girl friends to try it, get them to come with you more often to drop you off or bring you things you forgot, then while they are there introduce them around, get them to be you're lucky charm, anything to involve them without actually putting them at a table on their own. The questions about rules will come and then if there is interest they will start checking out models.

Just don't make my husbands mistake. I was interested in WFB not 40K. He pushed 40K and that pushed me away from it.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

Maidel
05-10-2012, 15:53
To those who want their spouses or girl friends to try it, get them to come with you more often to drop you off or bring you things you forgot, then while they are there introduce them around, get them to be you're lucky charm, anything to involve them without actually putting them at a table on their own. The questions about rules will come and then if there is interest they will start checking out models.

She wont even go into the store to by me a christmas present...

IVe lost this one.

Kijamon
05-10-2012, 16:12
My gf is in to board games so it was a small step on to 40k.

She picked Blood Angels, I got a good deal on an army for her. She seems to enjoy playing but doesn't enjoy the painting or the cost!

It's quite fun sitting painting with your other half, better than watching the rubbish that's on tv these days any way.

jeffzcubfan
05-10-2012, 16:44
Mine has no interest what so ever in little men.

You know you are on the losing side on that attempt when she refers to your figs as "little men".

Jeff

Scaryscarymushroom
05-10-2012, 18:57
My GF teases me about collecting minis. Talks about how nerdy and expensive it is. She asks me questions like "Why do you buy all this stuff if you don't make time to paint it all? Why do you buy these rulebooks if you never play?" But then she thinks that since there are people in the world who enjoy gaming, that there must be something objectively entertaining about gaming. So a little over two years ago, she decided to buy, build and (have me help her) paint about 1500 points of Necrons. And then we spent all winter playing games. That was a good season.

Today, she still teases me. Then she looks through my rulebooks and says "Oooh. I like those ones, they look like apple products. Let's get some. Do you want to stop doing your homework and paint something? I'll paint something with you."

Sircyn
06-10-2012, 01:24
Madmen the lot of you, i'd have to find a new hobby if the other half decided to start playing :eek:

This! Oh this! Wargames are my excuse to *get away* from my other half! I have little interest in encouraging her to take it up. I do openly engage with any queries or conversation she makes around it as it's a big part of my life and she likes to vicariously enjoy my passion for it, but it's my escape time to let my guard down with the lads and have a laugh.

She has gone from a position of antipathy towards gaming in general (inherited from ex's I think) to one of active participation. In seeing the joy I derive from it, she has tentatively taken steps into board/card/computer games and was surprised at how much fun she had joining in. She especially enjoys the big multiplayer casual games like braggart for the interaction with people and is branching out from there. The investment and dedication required from war games and her own lack of interest in the war toys will probably mean she's not going to cross that nerdy line though.

Beppo1234
06-10-2012, 03:02
lose to her, always!

Scaryscarymushroom
06-10-2012, 04:03
I am someone's wife and we play WFB together (i used to play 40k and LOTR as well).

Adding to ladykatz' post about getting more women involved...

I just read an article I found by clicking around on a gaming blog somewhere in Sci-Fi & Fantasy general discussion about gender issues and sexist attitudes and behavior of hobbyists in general. I mean, the article didn't say that all gamers were intolerant mysoginistic a-holes, but it highlighted some unnerving realities about the atmosphere at gaming stores and clubs and how being the only girl in a room full of (often socially awkward) boys is a very deterring experience, especially because a lot of intolerance or sexualization (i.e. staring at girls' chests while "talking" to them) completely passes under the radar of people that would normally not accept that sort of behavior, and want gaming to reach a more diverse audience (specifically a gender neutral audience).

The problem is especially magnified with young girls that enjoy warhammer etc. right up until they go to a club or a store. Imagine being the target of the alienating behavior described above. Now imagine you're 13. It's no wonder the hobby scene is generally packed with young boys and young men.

Also, there's a bit of groupthink that goes on too, essentially someone will make a sexist joke and everyone else will laugh sheepishly or pretend they didn't hear. anything, goading on and encouraging more alienating behavior that keeps women away from being part of the gaming group, even when, if someone in the room were to say "dude that's not OK." Most of the sheepish quietly accepting people would say "yeah, it really isn't."

So there's a way more women might get involved in war gaming... if a girl walks into a gaming store and buys models or brings in an army, don't ask her where her boyfriend is; and call out the guys around you for treating her differently because she's a girl and people think girls don't usually play.

Phew. Sorry. Rant over. I'll take my male feminism somewhere else now.

Sent from my phone. Sorry for the quote that could have been more relevant, and for grammatical errors.

Disposable Hero
06-10-2012, 07:11
Please, oh please, make it so that the gaming tables of the world remain free of political correctness.

And if someone stares at my daughter's chest while we are gaming he will be looking for his dice in a place of his own where the sun never shines. And I don't mean the Eye of Terror.

Edit: forgot to mention that my gf helped me paint a Skaven army once. And I received a Love Ogre, a pink brute being whipped by his Package Mistress. Very nice Valentine gift.

Individual8580
06-10-2012, 09:25
I split Dark Vengeance with my girlfriend. She doesn't have a history with 40k but she play MtG and all kinds of other games more than I do.

ladykatz_02
06-10-2012, 16:27
I don't think political correctness is required, part of why I enjoy the game is laughing at some of the stunts and man-isms that go on in the gaming areas, the part I don't like is when they start acting like we're in a bar/club somewhere and its appropriate to treat me like some of the less than dressed "women" they find there. For the most part I don't have to deal with that at all and I'm glad the guys I game with feel comfortable with me enough to be themselves and still make me feel comfortable in the room. They are not afraid to joke and laugh and do their shirtless wrestliing but they are good enough to beat on each other and apologize if they do or say something that is over the line.

Damocles8
06-10-2012, 17:09
My wife often accompanies me to my gaming nights, haven't gotten her to play in a full on game yet, but we've tried a few rule introductions at home...

Disposable Hero
06-10-2012, 17:33
I don't think political correctness is required, part of why I enjoy the game is laughing at some of the stunts and man-isms that go on in the gaming areas, the part I don't like is when they start acting like we're in a bar/club somewhere and its appropriate to treat me like some of the less than dressed "women" they find there. For the most part I don't have to deal with that at all and I'm glad the guys I game with feel comfortable with me enough to be themselves and still make me feel comfortable in the room. They are not afraid to joke and laugh and do their shirtless wrestliing but they are good enough to beat on each other and apologize if they do or say something that is over the line.

Should be like that all the time.

chromedog
06-10-2012, 20:14
My wife likes some of the same movies and TV shows as I do.

She has no interest in gaming. She likes some of the models, and has expressed some interest in wanting to paint some up herself, but that's it as far as gaming goes. I'm happy with that.

I play other "games" with her. :D

samiens
06-10-2012, 20:24
My wife plays- started with Space Hulk and now has a large Nid army (she, along with most female gamers thinks they're cute- I don't but I've affectionately named my new heldrake Rusty so I have other issues).

My wifes mega competitive so loves gaming, and is the kind of hit sci-fi nerd girl that I though only existed on tv. I love that she plays and we've been to quite a few doubles tournaments together (even won one in Portsmouth a few years ago).

Ive found guys in stores etc are pretty decent to her- sure she gets a few looks but her nids smashing an army up tends to focus people on the game!

frogboy
07-10-2012, 00:04
This has been a very funny and interesting read :)

I'd love it if she took an intrest in my "silly toys", I just started building some Orks and she thinks they look like monkeys, which made me laugh at first but then I looked again and I guess she was kind of right.

What's worse for her I think is that I'm always reading or on the Internet looking at geeky stuff and she gets frustrated that I don't want to talk about TV or Facebook coments.

Maybe the guys making the sexist jokes at clubs are really just scared of there own sexual orientation, maybe they want all the men to themselves lol personally I don't care, straight gay or female I'm stomping your *******' guts out ! (With dice in a freindly war gaming manner of course)

:D

prowla
07-10-2012, 12:58

Lol, I've seen a lot worse terrain pieces and played on a lot worse tables made by actual 40k geeks - I think she's off to a nice start really. Just nudge her towards reading some of the good threads at Terrain Project Logs - and possibly replace the red paint pot with some khaki - and you're set :D

Kiro
07-10-2012, 13:21
Still Standing, how did you get those marines so red?

My g/f has expressed an interest in joining me in painting, but I've never gotten around to throwing a tester mini at her. As a lark I suggested she could be my regular opponent, and to my surprise she said that sounded like a fun idea. She's a catch!

Still Standing
07-10-2012, 14:34
Halfords red primer, a heavy Devlan Mud wash, a Blood Red dry brush, another Devlan Mud wash, and finally a light Blazing Orange dry brush. Looks nice up close though!

RanaldLoec
07-10-2012, 23:00
Well I'm a sci-fi nerd and wargamer i met my girlfriend when I was 21 I hid my guilty little secret from my girlfriend for a fair while although I was only collecting i hadn't been gaming in years. Plus i was spending lots of money trying to emulate vin diesel in the fast and the furious in a 1.1 litre Ford Fiesta mkIII.:shifty:

Then we got serious and engaged and the secret had to come out, she was quite happy as it meant I stopped running round waving a large spatha in northern england pretending to be celtic briton as part of a re-enactment society.:shifty:

Then we got married and I realised my wife was a MUSO or a musical geek, who shortley after became a high school music teacher.:confused:

She may not play wargames with me but she wears the white blouses, pencil skirts and square glasses I bought her as a teacher.:angel:

They may never join you but they will understand your passion, if they love you.

What I'm saying is with out being rude that geeks dreams can come true and we can meet very gorgeous ladies who will love us despite our nerdy baggage, you may even find their inner nerd.:D

Finally

Please, oh please, make it so that the gaming tables of the world remain free of political correctness.

And if someone stares at my daughter's chest while we are gaming he will be looking for his dice in a place of his own where the sun never shines. And I don't mean the Eye of Terror.

Edit: forgot to mention that my gf helped me paint a Skaven army once. And I received a Love Ogre, a pink brute being whipped by his Package Mistress. Very nice Valentine gift.

The eye of terror lol

Kiro
07-10-2012, 23:50
I'm curious to know what other taken fellers other halves think of Hello Kitty Space Marines...

sweetdaddyg
08-10-2012, 10:52
I have tried to broach playing 40k with my missus for ages, but still no dice, if you pardon the pun. Any advice on how to coax her away from X-factor and into some serious battles?

Still Standing
08-10-2012, 11:40
I have tried to broach playing 40k with my missus for ages, but still no dice, if you pardon the pun. Any advice on how to coax her away from X-factor and into some serious battles?

One day she made a building out of a cereal box. The next day she said she wanted me to show her how to play. I don't know what started it off.

Easy E
08-10-2012, 14:00
My wife has a pink space marine army that she has used on several occassions. Now days, we generally stick to Specialists Games, and she is a big fan of Necromunda and Aeronautica Imperialis. She also likes to paint, but prefers Reaper miniatures for fun. She also likes to play tabletop RPGs and boardgames.

However, I drew the line when she asked me to do some Larping.

I'm also spoiled at home becaquse my daughter also loves to play GorkaMorka and Necromunda.

prowla
08-10-2012, 14:08
My wife has a pink space marine army that she has used on several occassions.

Well, I wouldn't mind a missus who was into some Slaaneshi stuff.. :p

ASSASSINAWOKEN
08-10-2012, 14:56

Like a boss!

Sometime I fear if I took my wife to a game gathering I would get someone would make the normal "that's what she said" comment, someone trying to mack on her and be all tough, or some one smells to high bo hell or worse silently craps their pants during a game.

I wonder how women would deal with this nonsense? Or is it just nonsense?

jeffzcubfan
08-10-2012, 15:26
I'm sure we've all been at that gaming store or con where someone just totally left off the showering, maybe as a tactic to tear up the eyes of their opponent to pull off some move unseen. Hygene does encourage the interested newbie (female or otherwise) to take an interest in the sport. Don't leave them with the impression they will face that, because they won't be back.

That being said I have been at a couple events where a female participant dressed...well... distractingly on purpose. She admitted to me it took her opponent off his game in many cases, and he was shocked to lose but somehow didn't feel so bad about it.

Regards,

Jeff

MDSW
08-10-2012, 16:15
At first, my wife did seem a tiny bit interested when myself and our boys began our separate army collections and bought me quite a few pieces/units for birthday, xmas, etc. So, one year I surprised her with the Wood Elf battalion box painted in pink and magents with acetate fairy wings on the army.

She has this thing for Tinkerbell and fairies...She squealed and squealed and has them proudly on display, but still does not care to play. I used them a couple times at the FLGS for some small games and a couple other women that happened by immediately said to their bf/spouse - I would play that army!! So, I made up some extra sheets of the wings for a few people at their request.

But, I have my three boys with their varying degrees of interest, so I always have a partner to play.

ladykatz_02
08-10-2012, 17:06
Like a boss!

Sometime I fear if I took my wife to a game gathering I would get someone would make the normal "that's what she said" comment, someone trying to mack on her and be all tough, or some one smells to high bo hell or worse silently craps their pants during a game.

I wonder how women would deal with this nonsense? Or is it just nonsense?

Oddly women deal with this stuff a lot differently than men think. I can speak from my experience but even in general I think women tend to be more polite about things than men. The "normal" comments like "that's what she said" will either be ignored or laughed at, depends on the woman but most will likely chuckle. The smells are diplomatically ignored or general comments made so not to single anyone out--though I don't think I have ever encountered a situation where someone silently crapped their pants but I do have kids so would probably take that in stride as well. And I would honestly be more concerned about my hubby's response if someone tried to mack on me than my own because he's the one likely to leap over a table and throttle someone, not me. I would probably be flattered, smile and make an excuse to leave the conversation or ignore it and carry on the conversation as if the macking had never happened.

@sweetdaddyg: does your lady read? If she likes to read you could get her some stuff from Black Library--I favor the fantasy books but have been known to ready a few of the 40K ones as well. If she's not a reader try the approach of asking her when she goes out if she could go by the gaming store and pick you up a specific model or box. When she goes in (assuming you can come up with a good story as to why you can't go) she'll wind up spending a bunch of time looking around for it because the guys in the store will be too afraid to talk to her or too surprised to see a woman looking for models they won't want to spook her. Even if she asks for help she's still forced to look around the store and you might be surprised at how many ladies actually get drawn in by the Vampire Counts, Bretonnians or Wood Elves just looking at them.

Disposable Hero
08-10-2012, 17:38
Every year the ladies around me do me great honour by venturing into GamerFunk Workshop and feed my plastic addiction.

True love, if you ask me.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
08-10-2012, 17:39
Oddly women deal with this stuff a lot differently than men think. I can speak from my experience but even in general I think women tend to be more polite about things than men. The "normal" comments like "that's what she said" will either be ignored or laughed at, depends on the woman but most will likely chuckle. The smells are diplomatically ignored or general comments made so not to single anyone out--though I don't think I have ever encountered a situation where someone silently crapped their pants but I do have kids so would probably take that in stride as well. And I would honestly be more concerned about my hubby's response if someone tried to mack on me than my own because he's the one likely to leap over a table and throttle someone, not me. I would probably be flattered, smile and make an excuse to leave the conversation or ignore it and carry on the conversation as if the macking had never happened.

I loled at your response about the pants. Just to clarify I am referring to someone passing gas and or a lot of gas.

ladykatz_02
09-10-2012, 04:24
LOL yeah I took you literally. :p

nedsta
09-10-2012, 10:23
I've been told stories by GW staff members of the pant filling thing actually happening before (and the kid just carrying on with his game after shaking it free from his undies, down his trousers and onto the floor of the shop.

Kiro
09-10-2012, 23:34
or some one smells to high bo hell

Funny, every girl I've brought into an LGS said something along the lines of 'it stinks in here' :p

ladykatz_02
10-10-2012, 00:50
I often think about sneaking an air freshener in. I am hosting a tournament in November and intend to bring a couple disguised as terrain pieces.

Aldavaer
10-10-2012, 08:50
You could use the Glade ones that look like rocks and save on conversion.

samtyler
15-10-2012, 03:34
I'm a lucky man. I met my wife through some mutual friends who I knew from the old Wizards of the Coast roleplaying chat rooms and she knew through some writing message board or chat room or something. We roleplay still (and not that way...only) and I got her interested in Warhammer through a WFRP tabletop game I ran. We play D&D and WFRP when we have a group, play Magic: the Gathering together, we freeform roleplay on a chat site (what's left of the old WotC community), and recently decided to start playing Warhammer tabletop. I think she's decided on Bretonnians, though she has a fondness for the concept of Slaanesh (but not so much for the creepy nightmare fuel execution of Chaos).

I do know that there are several game stores in our area we won't shop at, partly because of how uncomfortable my wife feels there. The upside is that they're both exclusively M:tG card shops, so it's not like finding another place to shop is difficult. The downside is that we're married with two kids so finding time and money can be difficult.