PDA

View Full Version : Forgefiend and Maulerfiend Weapon Loadout?

Tuatha Dar
08-10-2012, 15:06
I'll be picking up a Forgefiend and Maulerfiend this afternoon.
So based on what you know so far, what do you think would be a decent all-round loadout for them?

I'm thinking:
Forgefield - 2 Hades Autocannons and additional ectoplasm cannon upgrade.

Reasons:
1. I like the way it looks
2. Gives me both anti-horde shooting/light vehicle shooting with the autocannnons and anti-heavy vehicle/terminator shooting with the ectoplasm upgrade.
3. With only 1 ectoplasm shot per turn, minimizes chances of getting a "Gets Hot!" result
4. Gives me greater range with the autocannons if needed

Maulerfiend

Only question is lasher tendrils or not? I like the way they look, but the loss of the magma cutters seems to really reduce the anti-vehicle capabilities of the monster. Still, making enemies lose 2 attacks with the tendrils really reduces the efficiency of nasty characters/dreadnoughts in hth for killing the Mauler.

Any opinions or comments are MOST welcome.

Tuatha

Konovalev
08-10-2012, 15:13
This should probably be in the Tactics forum, but in my opinion I think the forgefiend is best stock with the autocannons. I think the additional ectoplasm cannon is unneccesary points on a hades forgefiend.

Maulerfiend I wouldn't take at all unless I were playing planetstrike. It has few attacks, and a low WS so it is hardly worth taking against anything but vehicles because it will get bogged down in infantry. And there are better units to tarpit with than a maulerfiend.

Vaktathi
08-10-2012, 15:20
Personally I'm all for the stock Forgefiend config, though I assembled mine with the "parakeet" ectoplasm cannon head because it looks better than the tongue head and gives the option of taking it without too much issue later. The Hades Autocannons are highly effective weapons, and the unfortunate effects of Gets Hot! now affecting vehicles coupled with the silly Hull Points mechanics makes it too likely you'll kill yourself over the course of a game with the ectoplasm cannons.

The Maulerfiend I'm not a huge fan of, though compared to a combat dread it'll likely be of more ultimate utility.

Knifeparty
08-10-2012, 15:22
I'm liking the idea of running two maulerfiends in a Blitzkrieg style Chaos army. They'll be running up with a pair of rhinos with melta's to act as a one, two punch. Hopefully they'll also attract attention away from my land raider too.

Johnmclane
08-10-2012, 16:05
One question, if I go three weapons on the forgefiend; can I fire all three on the same turn or just two??

madden
08-10-2012, 16:28
It can shoot all guns, as to load out on a forge I'd take two hades and an ectoplasm. And on the mauler I'd take the tendrils as it reduces attacks of every one(enemy) in base contact and the magmas only hit a model already hit by it's standard attacks so not so good (read naff) against anything but vehicles and buildings.